• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 17, 2017
Me seeing a future where not enough people mention Shulk:

tumblr_phksrgIA5a1u74e1wo2_500.gifv

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best in terms of "holy shit, what?" would be either Cloud or Banjo.

My personal favorite is Terry though.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Surprise wise I'd say definitely Cloud.

Quality wise it's Terry Bogard. The love and care they put into him is so obvious compared to the rest of the class

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud>Joker>Bayonetta>Palutena>Little Mac>Lucina are my tops in terms of most excited to see in Smash.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Banjo was literally the very first character I remember wanting for a new Smash game from the moment I remembering hearing Smash 64 was getting a sequel.

...but it's Cloud. Even today, it's still kind of wild to think that Cloud Strife is actually in fucking Smash.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As somebody who feels that FF7 is a sufficiently wonderful game that is hyped out of proportion any time it's mentioned ... I still gotta say Cloud. Nintendo went out and put CLOUD is a fighting game against other Nintendo (and a few third party) characters. They put god damn Cloud in Smash Bros. ... come on. It's so wildly out of left field, and yet it still worked out perfectly.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I had to go back and watch this because it's just too good lol

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rosalina for combination of most wanted, character that I like, and most fun to play

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incineroar... Best Wrestlin' Cat. Great animations on whiffs and moves. Maybe not the best character and has some cheese but he just looks so great while he's in play.
He really is the best. I've been maining him and whiles he's really hard to win with, everything he does looks and feels awesome. Great impact to all his moves and they're oozing with personality. Love Incineroar.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time choosing because I think there's a good reason for all of these to be here, with the exception of the echoes. The most surprising reveals were obviously the third-party ones, especially Cloud, Joker, and Banjo-Kazooie, but they're not necessarily the ones I have the most fun with. Basically, I like them all for different reasons.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally, it was (you guessed it) Joker. Ever since playing Persona 5 back in 2017 he was my #1 most wanted dream character for the next Smash Bros. game (Ultimate wasn't even announced at that point). I realized he wasn't very likely though given at that point all the 3rd party characters that had joined Smash were huge gaming icons (and Bayonetta but she was a special case due to winning the ballot and Nintendo kind of adopting her).
Then, a day before the release of Smash Ultimate at the Game Awards that trailer happened...boy it was perfection. I definitely lost my shit at that moment haha. Bonus points also to him being very fun to play (and winning Evo half a year later :P).
Runner-up would be Shulk. Similar situation here, as soon as I played Xenoblade back in like 2011 he became my most wanted character for the next Smash Bros. His announcement unfortunately had less of an impact though due to it being post ESRB leak and in a JP only Nintendo Direct so I didn't even catch the trailer live. Still, amazing nonetheless. Also, once again he's super fun to play especially in Ultimate.
Other runner ups include Mega Man and Hero who were my 2nd most wanted characters for Smash 4 and Ultimate, respectively. Pretty crazy that I got them as well.

Honorable mention has to go to Cloud fucking Strife though. That was definitely the most shocking, most impactful character announcement of the last decade on a general level. Watching that trailer I could feel the shockwave rippling through the internet. Like holy shit. Also pretty incredible to see that he became like one of the most played characters online and still is to this day.

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta. She was my pick for the ballot and she made it in.

My second favorite video game character who I didn't want to be forgotten

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
K. Rool, Ridley and Little Mac were the three that I cared about the most. Honorable spot to my boy Shulk for defying the odds and making it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Rosalina, Bayonetta, Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Cloud are my favorites that have been added

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Villager. Just something so satisfying about his moveset. Riding on a gyroid, blowing up fireworks, dropping bowling balls, chopping down the tree...

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The Smash direct with the Belmonts and K.Rool was like a love letter from Sakurai delivered directly to my door.
Heck they even snuck Dark Samus into that same showing, I don't think I've had a more joyous stretch of Nintendo direct.

I know this doesn't entirely answer the question, but it's so hard to choose! and that's before factoring in Banjo

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Reveal-wise, Banjo for me. That was hype. Gameplay-wise I'd say my favourite to play would probably be Bayonetta though. Cloud second.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Belmonts, goddamn. They're perfect representations of Castlevania, as Smash characters, and they match my play style exactly.

Special mention to Hero, as his inclusion went from being nothing to me to an actual love of Dragon Quest. Ended up playing half the series within the year.

Edit: I'm also glad Banjo is in (clearly,) but I feel like I would have been more excited if i weren't so far removed from when I played those games.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Can we do a poll? I believe that Joker is the best one by far. The most surprising, also came with the best music and with the coolest reveal. It's the only time I have ever cried with a character reveal for Smash.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Cloud mainly because he was seen as the symbol for PlayStation in the 90s/PS1 in general, especially when he didn't make it in ps all stars

Banjo felt like a given after Nintendo and Microsoft becoming buddy buddy

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm

for me personally what makes this such a hard question to pose is the fact that I can grade these things on multiple levels. Is it how fun I find the characters to play? How much I wanted them in the game? How much they excited me on reveal? How good their trailers are? Because while some reveals were more hype than others it's hard to deny going back to them that some of their trailers were not all that amazing.

If it's in terms of my favorite characters to play, the order would look something like;
Inkling > Terry > Banjo > Bayonetta > Piranha Plant > everyone else

If it's in terms of who made me the most excited, the order would look something like;
Cloud > Inkling > Joker > Bayonetta > Terry > Banjo > everyone else

I think Cloud probably takes the cake for overall biggest significance, but I'd also buy an argument for Banjo. That was the dream outcome many people refused to believe was a possibility.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
All the newcomers have been amazing. But in terms of personal choices - Banjo-Kazooie was definitely the best newcomer of the decade. I was ecstatic at that E3 reveal. Actually had a few tears when I saw them for the first time
Ridley was also pretty cool as he was one of my most requested characters too.

Pac-Man and Inkling are characters I regularly use in Smash Bros. Having Dark Samus come into the series as an Echo fighter clone was also perfect.

In terms of most out of left field picks though - Cloud, Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant and Joker definitely deserve some recognition. Those reveals were all either so bizarre or random. Yet loved each of their inclusions.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mega man wasn't a big sirprise but it had the hypest trailer, to complete the deal the character is fun and the remixes are great

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Probably Mega Man.

As much as I like Joker and Banjo, MM was just a really perfect addition all around, he fits in so freaking well.