• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your opinion on VR?

• I love VR and want to see more games built around VR and more games include VR modes

Votes: 620 38.8%
  • I like VR but don't feel like it is at a point where I want to invest in it

Votes: 325 20.3%
  • I'm generally indifferent to VR

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • I have invested in VR but have so far found it lacking/underwhelming

Votes: 141 8.8%
  • I don't like VR and have no interest in it

Votes: 162 10.1%
  • I strongly dislike VR and wish developers wouldn't spend resources on VR only games or VR modes

Votes: 83 5.2%
  • Other (leave a comment)

Votes: 48 3.0%

• Total voters

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I love VR. I'm not a rich person and I struggled a lot with my decision to buy a Rift a couple of years ago. Felt like so much money! But I saw it as buying a new console, like a long-term investment, which made it feel a bit easier. I never regretted it and still use my Rift on a regular basis, at least a few times per week. And I would love to see more games designed specifically for VR.
I still play the so-called pancake games and enjoy them, but my excitement is so much higher in general for what future VR games can bring in terms of innovation, both in hardware and software. And I think that will be pushed by games like the new Half-Life (and of course games like Lone Echo 1 and 2, Asgard's Wrath, Stormland and so on). Brings attention to VR, increases install base, which allows smaller VR developers to reach a bigger group of people allowing them to invest more money in their projects and so on.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Generally indifferent. I can see the potential, but until it's light enough and small enough not to really feel it (like cyber-glasses) and is paired with haptic feedback gloves as standard so you can genuinely feel texture when you touch things, not to mention the need for high frame rates at high resolutions, I'm not interested in jumping in myself. I am really glad it's being invested in though, just like raytracing, because one day it will pay off when the tech is fully realized. But that day is not today, nor is it even remotely close.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I haven't tried VR ever, but I have seen enough to know it is a tide that isn't gonna be stopped. Would not be surprised at all if the PS5/Scarlett are the last "traditional" games consoles.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't like VR as a concept, but clearly it's a niche product that will remain a curiosity and never really move into the mainstream. Interested to see where the industry goes next.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
I've only really spent time with the Rift and haven't found it particularly exciting. It might be that i didn't have the configuration set exactly right but the field of view felt too narrow and the screens too low resolution to the point where the illusion breaks down regularly for me. I would love to try one of the higher end VR headsets on a really powerful rig, and i think VR will stick around as a kinda sideshow gimmick. Cool, but never quite as easy and painless as gaming on regular 2D screens

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the tech/price is at a point where it's ready for prime time yet. They need to make those headsets less bulky, lighter, cheaper, wireless, much better resolution, solve motion sickness, easier setup/calibration, less sweaty, etc.

I feel like we're still far off!

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Have absolutely zero interest in VR. Even if my favourite franchises like Persona, Witcher or Trails made VR only games I'd still have no interest in buying a VR headset.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Yeah, I still don't feel the tech or console power is really there yet.

Personally I might pick it up after a few more iterations, for flying and racing games predominantly. Right now there's just too many trade-offs.

Even then though I don't really know. I could have kids at that point and I feel like VR has the most appeal when you're on your own. I'd love to see some Nintendoland style asymmetrical multiplayer games break out, where one person has the headset and everyone else is using a TV. That would be cool.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I might step in this year with the PS5. But too much is uncertain on that front to say that for sure.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I remain interested in it, but room remains the biggest hurdle for me. I feel I also don't play enough games that another expensive clunky piece of hardware is something I wanna throw some serious money at.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love VR. I'm not a rich person and I struggled a lot with my decision to buy a Rift a couple of years ago. Felt like so much money! But I saw it as buying a new console, like a long-term investment, which made it feel a bit easier. I never regretted it and still use my Rift on a regular basis, at least a few times per week. And I would love to see more games designed specifically for VR.
I still play the so-called pancake games and enjoy them, but my excitement is so much higher in general for what future VR games can bring in terms of innovation, both in hardware and software. And I think that will be pushed by games like the new Half-Life (and of course games like Lone Echo 1 and 2, Asgard's Wrath, Stormland and so on). Brings attention to VR, increases install base, which allows smaller VR developers to reach a bigger group of people allowing them to invest more money in their projects and so on.

Pancake games is such a funny term

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've never tried it but the potential health repercussions concern me. Has there been research into how looking at a screen at such a close distance affects one's eyes?
The lenses cause your eyes to focus at "infinity" (20ft) so they should be relaxed. Most people are sitting closer than that with their TV/Monitor setups.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely interested and I do believe there is immense potential. However I don't think it is quite there yet, so I will wait a little longer to invest in it.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It's an awesome technology that if done right certainly has it's audience, I think that further in the future when the technology get even better and more compact and battery technology will be developed we will also see AR and VR merging to something new.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a no go for me, medical reasons. And I'm happy to know that developers are indifferent towards it, would not want them to focus resource and talent on something that will remain a niche product. I do not want MS be a part of it and would be disappointed if thier teams started to make VR games.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, none of the poll options really capture my feelings about VR. I own a headset (an Oculus Quest) and while I don't love it, I like it fine and I'm not disappointed or underwhelmed.

I am excited to see where things go, and I'm particularly looking forward to the new Half Life.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't have a problem with it existing or developers making games for it but it essentially has no appeal to me. I don't like a lot of what I see from the games or the typical solutions they have to various problems VR has right now like floating hands and warping for movement.

If I were to play VR I'd really only be interested in playing it with a standard controller in hand. I have zero interest in motion control or having to stand (obviously the latter isn't always the only option).

I do expect the tech to improve and slowly become more and more common over the coming decade.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a PSVR and have barely used it the last year plus. The novelty wore off for me and I just can't be bothered to put the headset on and play.

I have zero problems with it existing or things like the new a Halflife being a VR game. Not every game is going to be for me and I'm drowning in things I want to play all the time anyway.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with zero investment in VR and is currently uninterested in investing that money into it, I'm generally indifferent to it at the moment. I was more interested in it when the press/people in general seemed to be talking about it more. Without seeking it out, I almost hear nothing about VR/VR games anymore.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I own a PSVR headset and I've greatly enjoyed some of the games on offer. I love Astrobot!

However, I feel like using it is a bit of a hassle. The cables are often in the way, I don't like the cramped feeling of wearing the headset (especially for longer sessions), and it always feels like the screen isn't quite in focus. Screen-door effect is also very much a thing with PSVR.

When the alternative is lounging and playing on a lovely TV with a decent set of speakers or headphones, I end up very rarely using it.

Would love to try something like the Oculus Quest hooked up to my PC, but I can't help but doubt I would use it enough after the honeymoon period to be worth the cost.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
VR is amazing and I hope it's a big part of gaming's future. There are issues with quality of software, hardware and price at the moment but some games that nail it are absolutely incredible. Hopefully the medium can grow to support more AAA games like Half-Life.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I believe that when we are at the point that almost every game has a VR version, nobody will touch flat versions again.

The difference is beyond insane in these games. Examples : RE7, Wipeout, Dirt Rally, Skyrim vs flat versions.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
I recently got an index because of half life. So far I've found that whether it's "worth it" or not REALLY depends on the software. Certain games like blade and sorcery that have decent physics and movement are honestly amazing. It's incredibly immersive, but other game feel like they are only party there. I think the headset is capable of an incredible experience, the problem is more that developers still seem to be trying to figure things out. I feel like it's really the software that's lagging more than the tech, and a few of the excellent games out there for vr are proving that.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Indifferent. Tech seems neat, but not enough that I'd be spending decent money for not a huge amount of titles that interest me.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It's probably not for me. I'm not much of a PC gamer to begin with, so investing in a rig plus the VR tech dissuades me.

I have a PSVR and although RE7 was amazing, it was still a pretty clunky device. And that's without hand controls.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I love VR. I own PSVR and a Rift S. The lack of true AAA full-fat games has been disappointing, as well as the pricing of many titles, but I love the medium and it's really enriched my gaming experience the last 3 years.

But the last few months have been so chaotic with regular releases I've not had much time to play my headsets tbh.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I could buy a PCVR, already have PSVR but a PC one is way too expensive here. I would also need a better CPU / GPU to be able to hold better frame rates, and they are also expensive.

I'm all in on the tech, if not now then in the future.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too much hassle for it to be worth it right now. The price, the clunkiness of wearing it, the wires, the sensors or cameras needed for tracking, the fact you need a high-end pc to go along with it, the space you need for it to even be worth playing. All that stuff gets in the way of me enjoying VR right now, Oculus Quest is a good step forward but that is still seen as a budget option for VR and wouldn't give you the best experience, and the issue of needing room still crops up with it. Once they can create a high-end vr headset that's comfy and wireless for a reasonable price then I'd be more interested. Bonus points if you don't need a pc or other machine to go along with it and they somehow make it so you don't need as much room either.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I have zero interest in VR. I don't want to isolate myself like that. It's starting to feel like escaping from this world into another with how you are completely immersed in it, something I have absolutely no desire for at all. I don't play games to escape into another world completely.
It honestly makes me worry a bit for our future sometimes. I can absolutely see people isolating themselves completely in VR.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I love VR. I own a PSVR and a Oculus Rift. Can't wait for PSVR2 with Resident Evil 8, Astrobot 2, etc. VR is in a great place right now but still it can go up so much further.

The headset that gets cordless vr and foward rendering right will kick the door wide open. I really hope sony'll wait a bit with PSVR 2 to make sure of that. With foward rendering you'll get VR games looking like normal ps4/ps5 games and not cut back versions anymore.

And i really, really hope that sony and other finally start giving us option vr-modes for their 3rd person games. no need for more than making the player the camera and let us aim like in Resident Evil 4 (wiimote style). That would be so awesome and i don't understand why this hasn't happened already. Come on capcom.. that should be a somewhat easy vr port.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It's very exciting and one of the biggest things in video game history. Could take another 10 years or more though.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I got PSVR the first time it dropped to $200 so I could play Polybius and I have no regrets. It generally collects dust though. I haven't gotten around to Astro Bot and RE7 yet but really am looking forward to playing them on my base PS4. I've been playing games since Atari 2600, and can still appreciate things with more primitive graphics, so despite the fact that some things look rough or low-res, that doesn't bother me much. The immersion is wonderful, and I feel like that's the point. Polybius really is an experience that I love.

VR imo is in a weird spot. Most developers seem to be playing "wait and see" as they wait for a larger userbase, while most gamers seem to be playing "wait and see" as they wait for better tech and lower prices. Usually when this happens, platforms die out entirely. Current VR platforms aren't quite dead, but as far as I can see, they seem to be treading water, with most games still coming from small or indie developers, along with a drip feed of occasional support from bigger publishers. Better hardware isn't going to solve this problem.

Also, we have some people saying "VR is the future of gaming." We have some other people saying "streaming is the future of gaming." I don't necessarily think that either camp is correct, but one thing is certain: these two groups can't both be right. The high bandwidth, low latency, and high framerate requirements of VR are absolutely not compatible with streaming, at all. So, if streaming actually becomes popular, and demand for local gaming drops, VR's audience will shrink...and it's not quite a huge audience to begin with.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got an index because of half life. So far I've found that whether it's "worth it" or not REALLY depends on the software. Certain games like blade and sorcery that have decent physics and movement are honestly amazing. It's incredibly immersive, but other game feel like they are only party there. I think the headset is capable of an incredible experience, the problem is more that developers still seem to be trying to figure things out. I feel like it's really the software that's lagging more than the tech, and a few of the excellent games out there for vr are proving that.

It's a problem with userbase I think, you can't expect smaller devs to invest a lot of money in researching and developing for VR when the market is so small. I think the most impressive VR games on PC right now (with some exceptions of course) are on the Oculus Store, simply because Oculus are funding the development of some of the games there, giving experienced developers time and resources to do really cool and innovative stuff. I think that's one of the proper approaches to solving this and growing the market, much like Valve is doing with Half-life: Alyx.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
It's a problem with userbase I think, you can't expect smaller devs to invest a lot of money in researching and developing for VR when the market is so small. I think the most impressive VR games on PC right now (with some exceptions of course) are on the Oculus Store, simply because Oculus are funding the development of some of the games there, giving experienced developers time and resources to do really cool and innovative stuff. I think that's one of the proper approaches to solving this and growing the market, much like Valve is doing with Half-life: Alyx.
Yeah that's definitely true, I haven't played the oculus games but Stormland for example looks really awesome. I'm excited for bone works too, so there are still a few cool games on the horizon and more to come. But hopefully the source 2 sdk and vr adoption for half life will really usher in a new era of modder/indie vr games with impressive physics and gameplay.

VirtualReach

Jul 21, 2019
I don't like VR as a concept, but clearly it's a niche product that will remain a curiosity and never really move into the mainstream. Interested to see where the industry goes next.

Interesting, I don't see many complete VR skeptics even after considering smaller/better headsets. Any reason why you feel that with the incremental improvements over the years VR won't reach mainstrem? What about in, say, 25 years?

Personally, I don't see any future where AR/VR doesn't play a large role in the coming decades.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Bought a psvr at launch and loved it. Since then I've been finding less and less reasons to hook it up. I dont think I've played it at all this year, the software just isnt there imo. Have any amazing psvr games came out this year?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested in how it evolves over the next few years. At this point in time, I don't think it offer any compelling or meaningful interactions. Traditional games in VR don't interest me and doesn't seem like a good fit. I'm kind of frustrated that VR right now seems to focus on transplanting the experience of traditional games into VR or for corporate training purposes. Not to say both of those are bad things but I feel like VR should open up more possibilities than just that.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Don't have VR (yet) and probably won't for the next few years. But I'm all for companies like Valve to invest heavily in those systems. Tried PSVR at a friends house and I really loved it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Interesting, I don't see many complete VR skeptics even after considering smaller/better headsets. Any reason why you feel that with the incremental improvements over the years VR won't reach mainstrem? What about in, say, 25 years?

Personally, I don't see any future where AR/VR doesn't play a large role in the coming decades.

We'll simply agree to disagree.

IIRC the best selling VR headset (PSVR) only has an adoption rate of less than 4% of the console's install base. This isn't a technology that's gaining traction, this is extremely niche. Increasing graphical fidelity or resolution won't fix this, the concept of VR remains spectacularly unappealing to the mainstream.