• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely PUBG/Fortnite, and I've never even played either.

I'm scratching my head at the BOTW/Witcher 3 mentions. This isn't a 'what's your favorite popular game' thread. At least with BOTW, it's directly inspired one game (Immortal Fenyx Rising), but Witcher????

Mini-shout out to Souls for spawning it's own mini-genre, and even directly inspiring major games like Fallen Order.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's hard to argue against Fortnite, which I did absolutely love in the early days.

What people are quick to forget though is how instrumental PUBG was in that success, after it breaking all sorts of records despite being really janky, Epic simply looked at what PUBG was doing and applied it to fortnite. Let's not forget that Fortnite was originally going to be a coop horde game.
Yup, before it copies PUGB's battle royale mode, Fortnite was basically nothing.

Jul 3, 2019
Destiny, but for all the wrong reasons. (ok maybe not the biggest but just look at what happened to Anthem and The Avengers)

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite and Destiny for sure.

Look at all the games whose business models and content pipelines are chasing after Fortnite and Destiny's success. It's shaped a lot of the industry this gen.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Definitely PUBG/Fortnite, and I've never even played either.

I'm scratching my head at the BOTW/Witcher 3 mentions. This isn't a 'what's your favorite popular game' thread. At least with BOTW, it's directly inspired one game (Immortal Fenyx Rising), but Witcher????

Mini-shout out to Souls for spawning it's own mini-genre, and even directly inspiring major games like Fallen Order.
The Witcher 3 definitely influenced the direction of the Assassin's Creed franchise when it was overhauled a few years ago. In general, it placed more emphasis on side missions containing worthwhile stories instead of Bethesda-style "go there, do this, collect reward" quests.
That said, it is not the most influential game of the past generation. I agree with you, Battle Royale changed multiplayer shooters across the board

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I only came around to Fortnite when the Marvel season started and used to actually look down on it.

With that being said, the answer is unequivocally Fortnite.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm scratching my head at the BOTW/Witcher 3 mentions. This isn't a 'what's your favorite popular game' thread. At least with BOTW, it's directly inspired one game (Immortal Fenyx Rising)
And one of the biggest hits recently on mobile and more: Genshin Impact.

Just it took a bit more time for imitators to appear since the stuff to emulate are in terms of core game design (mechanics, movements, physics, etc.), not only the social aspects as with Fortnite.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
How can you choose anything other than Fortnite?
It wasn't the first of its genre. Artistically there are much better games.
But the global impact this game had, and still has, is undeniable

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that if you're going to say Fortnite, then it was PUBG. Fortnite would still be a that under the radar weird build/tower defense game without PUBG completely altering it, even if Fortnite advanced beyond it.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Breath of the Wild for single player open world games, PUBG for multiplayer games.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Smh at all this Fortnite, PUBG, Destiny, Souls comment.

The correct answer is obviously <insert niche anime game starring 1000 yo loli dragon>

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by all the Fortnite responses. Yes it was hugely popular and definitely popularized certain GAAS tactics - but in terms of overall game development and influence - I don't really see it.

I'd say Breath of the Wild - or at least I hope that's the answer. That game reawakened some part of me that loves this medium like no other game has in a LONG time. The experience of discovery and pure adventure that BOTW offers is sorely missing from so many other (mainly open world) games. Not saying I want to see a ton of clones, I just want that feeling more often.

Oct 29, 2017
Even calling Fortnite the "Call of Duty of this generation" is underselling its reach and influence. It was a part of the cultural zeitgeist in a way that CoD never was.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
While Fortnite grew to be the larger thing I would really say PUBG is the one that propelled the battle royale genre to where it is.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It's Fortnite insofar as Industry Impact, and it isn't even close.

I'd be interested in seeing this conversation about mechanics/game design tho.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Even calling Fortnite the "Call of Duty of this generation" is underselling its reach and influence. It was a part of the cultural zeitgeist in a way that CoD never was.

I disagree. When CoD really blew up with Modern Warfare it was a big change in gaming. Suddenly you saw shooters shift to modern settings. Keep in mind that Infinity Ward had to fight with Activision to convince them to even let them move it to a modern setting because they said their data showed that people preferred WWII and didn't want a modern shooter. You had the way that it handles health. Think of all the games that dropped health bars altogether and used onscreen visuals and audio to indicate health. Then you have its multiplayer mode. Remember how common it was to complain about multiplayer modes in other popular shooters turning into CoD clones?

CoD's influence was/is insane in just how widespread it was. I honestly don't think anything this generation is comparable to it in terms of just how many elements of it influenced other games.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda feel like if Fortnite is in contention for most important on it's influence for the industry then PUBG has to be at least in the conversation too? Fortnite BR wouldn't exist without PUBG blowing up to a crazy degree.

Fortnite is obviously A BIG GAME but I don't know as if it actually introduced a whole lot that the industry ran with. Battle Passes, F2P, BR etc were all already running in other titles. There's a (large) argument that the popularity of Fortnite - and how much cash it was bringing in - spread the usage of Battle Passes to everything I suppose.
Doom wasn't the first FPS game and Mario wasn't the first side scroller, but they are the most influential titles in their respective genres.

Jan 10, 2018
Overwatch - Loot boxes/hero shooter
Destiny - Lite MMO
Fortnite - Battle Royale
Dark Souls - "Soulslike"

I also feel like the roguelite genre and remakes really exploded this gen, but I'm not sure what games made it take off.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Fortnite by miles. It may not have pioneered battle royale but it's the game that's shaken the industry, for better and worse.

Some funny choices in here, games with multiple titles in the previous generation and games that have just come out and haven't had time to have any impact.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's PUBG. Fortnite might be the bigger success and PUBG might not have been the first Battle Royale.

But we would not even be talking about Fortnite if the popularity of PUBG and its take on BR didn't blow up the way it did. Fortnite was a dead in the water game until they literally went on to capitalize on the BR craze and making the first free BR option that was also on consoles.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Fortnite single handedly helped to establish the first real opponent for Steam.

So I'll hand it on that basis.

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite

200.gif

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. Overwatch popularized loot boxes, Fortnite popularized battle passes, PUBG caused the BR storm, Breath of the Wild will (and already has) influence design approach to open world games. There's so many games that influence others in vastly different ways, it's hard to say what is most important.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Are we talking about the same Dota 2?
Yes? Dota2 was and still is massive on PC.

Fortnite is however a league above any game. PC, PS4, Xbox, Switch, Mobile... we are probaby talking over 100 million players (or people who launched it at least once).

(the fps remark wasn't about Dota 2, edited that I was talking about COD and BF who successfully sold several map packs before and switched to season/battle passes afterwards. They did it because of Fortnite, not Dota.)

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Who started the season-pass or similar time limited progression passes trend..?

I would say whatever game that was, it has had quite the influence this gen.