• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
It would be Battlepass. F2P was already in full effect with League, DOTA2, etc. But having a momentary and time sink reason to invest is due to Value's International Battle Pass. Which other companies ran with in full to keep gamers invested at a cheap cost to their title.

Second would be the Battle Royale/Survival game, but I'd push this back to the Day Z mod back in 2012. Fortnite, PUBG, Rust, and others titles all saw their initial ground work laid with Day Z. Rust was built as a clone to Day Z, PUBG was the designer of Day Z wanting to re-tool it into a Battle Royale, and Fortnite is a mix of ideas take elsewhere from all three of these titles and more.

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
GTA Online is definitely successful, but I can't really think of any other online games like it. Also just with how expensive it is to make that game, you can't really have a GTA Online clone.
Yeah with the way Rockstar makes their games it's understandable we don't see many clones, though there is still some insperation and point of reference.

But I still find it really odd. For example in GTA Online one of the popular things, especially on Twitch, is the Police Mods which create a pretty unique experience but there's been no attempts at leveraging that. Same for the fact that despite RDR and RDR2's successes we haven't seen any proper Western games, even if a different genre (ie: Call of Juarez).

I guess people brush it off too much as being better than the sum of its part and only achievable thanks to Rockstar's budget and scope so it defies logic.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Fortnite how though? What has it done to inform or actually influence game design that wasn't already being done? It wasn't even a BR game until the success and popularity of PubG happened?

PubG and Destiny informed and influenced many games this gen that came after them. Those are the two truest answers in my opinion. The Witcher 3 should be mentioned as well for essentially rewriting the script on the importance of side missions and side story in RPGs and it also influenced many games after it.

Fortnite is a cultural phenom to be sure, but as far as influencing the industry...I think is was more like the game that was influenced and informed by games that came before it and did it all better(mostly).

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Uncharted Multiplayer was selling overpriced skins & stolen popculture dances as emotes long before Fortnite was even a molecule of a thought.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny as the driver of the GAAS explosion and Fortnite ignited the BR craze.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Its PUBG, without PUBG Fortnite would be a dead game and we wouldnt of gotten Warzone as well.

How are people saying BOTW? Lol

PUBG influenced two of the biggest games in the world.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
-Witcher 3 for RPG
-PUBG and Fortnite for Battleroyale/Battle pass
-Destiny for GaaS/looter shooter

I have a 4th one, and while this is a last gen game it came out at the tail end of last gen and basically laid down the template for modern open world games:

- Far cry 3, first Ubisoft copied it across their other games and then the success of Ubi games led to other open world games copying that template. The template being the open world game with light RPG mechanic, crafting, resource collecting for upgrades etc. Basically having something to do at every step of the way in the open world.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
PUBG has to be the most influential game, it lead to many games copying its formula very quickly. Fortnite was originally one of those copies before becoming a monster.

Then The Witcher 3 is the obvious choice. It has the benefit of coming out early in the generation and has influenced how many games do side quest and tell stories. Next is Destiny, this gen really brought the GAAS to the forefront and we have destiny to thank for that.
We are just starting to see BOTW influence games this year and probably affect more of games from next gen especially if Part 2 is out next year

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Fortnite by far. Souls games were last gen, Witcher 3's effect is muted because of how popular open-world games already were before it (though it definitely shows in Tsushima), and BotW might be soon once we get games like Monster Hunter Rise but it's still too soon to tell.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Destiny. It gave birth to the live service game craze that somehow infects everything, even some SP titles.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Older for sure, but I think Borderlands is probably the most influential game in the last decade or so.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
PUBG. I have no interest whatsoever in battle royales but PUBG open the door for Fortnite to rush in.

In single-player terms...? probably The Witcher 3. Maybe Breath of the Wild as a somewhat distant second - I think it's been more influential in its aesthetics than its gameplay systems.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
PUBG.

If I'm remembering the story vaguely correctly, Fortnite was starting out as something completely different before they said "Actually it's a battle royale game now." I barely ever found players for the PvE mode.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I would also say GaaS or BR games have been the most influential this gen. But I'm not really into either of these genres, so I can't really point to a game in particular.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I hope that in the long run it's Rocket League. Wasn't that the first game to accidentally showcase that crossplay was simple and ultimately came down to Sony saying no, not any kind of actual technical limitation? Fingers crossed that within a year or two, every multiplatform game has at least the option to play together with friends on different platforms.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Fortnite is easily one of the biggest games overall this gen.
But it's more difficult to say when we are talking about most influential... in what way did Fortnite influence other games? For the most part Fortnite took a concept that was already there and executed it very well.
So maybe Pubg/H1Z1 were more influential... If those didn't exist, Fortnite would have been just the Save The World mode

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
PUBG.

Without it, Fortnite would still be a weird tower defense game that nobody talks about.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
As others have mentioned, it's definitely the Battle Royale genre, and Fortnite is still the face of it.

Fortnite's biggest influence was fostering the "free" AAA game on consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite definitely had the most influence on popular culture.
I'm not really too familiar with it, so I couldn't say how much it affected the mainstream gaming landscape.

I feel like Souls games have hugely influenced the design of single player games this gen.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what inspired Fortnite to completely drop the game design they were going for and go with a 1 v 100 game.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
PUBG. Fortnite rode the wave to unforeseen heights, but it is still a clone.