• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
They also suffered from terrible content updates, lack luster support, beyond sketchy localization, and region lock no one asked for. It was all signs of disaster.

It's really not that hard to do better than what the SEA version was, even the fan patch puts that translation to shame.

Only the SEA version which does have a ENG have a region lock(Blocking SEA player from playing on Japan version) Taiwan player were not blocked from playing on the origional japanese version, and most player went back to that version soon anyway.
And the only other region blocked was China, which reduced their RMT incident from the tens of thousands to hundreds per month.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
One factor that probably contributed to it never coming over is the cost and time of localization making updates much much more infrequent than the Japanese version, which updates every two weeks. Combine that with fans making a near-complete translation patch that updates just as often and the licensing issues previously mentioned in this thread and it just doesn't seem viable.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we can pressure SEGA to notice PSO2 for once, instead of blocking nearly anyone that mentions anything about it. Even the website is now defunct for us.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
A lot of the money PSO2 gets is by gach...selling outfits from different collaborations with animes. This would probably be a nightmare of licensing issues in the west. I also doubt these kind of stuffs would sell well here.

Yeah, sorry to say this game looks like it went off the deep end. Every time i see this game it looks like another event is going on where you seem to be killing the same shit I killed way back during episode 1 endlessly for loot. Doesn't look there's any real substantial content drops outside of an endless rain of collaboration costumes. What's worse is that they don't seem to want to do ANY costume customizations that you can earn purely through gameplay. Everything must be gotten through that lootbox shop. I also get the sense Sega does not want to devote real resources to support the game in multiple regions given how bad it was with PSO/PSU

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed pso2 a fair bit in the early days but the later updates got bogged down with constant mobile style monetization schemes and character locked clothing passes, not to mention having to be on the right lobbby/block at the right time(usually when I should be sleeping) to be allowed to grind effectively made the entire experience a hassle.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a good game no doubt, but I still prefer the PSO1 games. There's something about the simplicity of them that keeps on bringing me back. Games after WoW just kept adding more and more systems and made the world too large for me. Ill never have the time to learn them.

PSO1 had 2 attack types, about 5 magic types and a simple gameplay loop. That's all I need really. That's why I'm hoping for a remake/rerelease instead of PSO3

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Why was this never released in the west? Could it still be?

Unlikely. This is way too old, majority of people that actually cared, already joined japanese servers, thanks to robust english patch that is regularly updated. And they aren't going to migrate to english servers that will be like 6 years behind in terms of content.
While licensing issue for cosmetics is not unsolvable, I don't see it being worth it for SEGA to do so in the first place. And removing it all together knee-caps their monetisation opportunities, as cosmetic gacha is pretty much how this game makes money.

TBH PSo2 has plenty of problems, from EQ schedules spread out ove rdifferent times of days, to meta being "spam PAs" with a lot of actual in-game mechanics for dodging and combos and such, really only being utilized briefly in some high tier encounters.

But damn did it get true end game right. Fashion. Hundreds of different pieces of clothes and the fact that playres resell what they get from gacha at player store means you can just go and buy what you want with in-game currency. Sure, most desireable shiniest pieces will cost 11-12 digit numbers, but there's still hundreds of items sitting within "comfortably affordable". I feel like OP understates just how on point your ability to express your character is. You are severly unlikely to see two characters looking even remotely the same... just... dont' expect them to also look consistent in terms of art style >_>

Feb 13, 2018
Japan

A lot of the money PSO2 gets is by gach...selling outfits from different collaborations with animes. This would probably be a nightmare of licensing issues in the west. I also doubt these kind of stuffs would sell well here.
One factor that probably contributed to it never coming over is the cost and time of localization making updates much much more infrequent than the Japanese version, which updates every two weeks. Combine that with fans making a near-complete translation patch that updates just as often and the licensing issues previously mentioned in this thread and it just doesn't seem viable.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I probably spent more than 400 on this game, and that was before the expansions. I love this game, the fan/translation community was strong. Sega missed out by not localizing

Dec 2, 2017
PSO on the Dreamcast was a revelation, some of the best atmosphere in a game ever.

But... the gameplay just hasn't aged that well. The depth and moment to moment feel just isn't in the same class as Destiny's, not even close. The current aesthetic is also kind of yuck compared to how awesome the PStar franchise used to be visually.

That's not saying it's bad, I put time into PSO2, but I couldn't put it at the top of the genre.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hopefully the success of Fortnite convinces SEGA to launch an inevitable PSO2 sequel globally. They really were early to the party but decided not to invite everybody. :-(

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I used most of the ranged weapons back when I played PSO2 and I wouldn't call them anything that someone looking specifically for a shooter would be satisfied with.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I was holding out hope for so long that this would see an international release.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I played it last year and it was completely dull and felt archaic. I can see why they didn't bother bringing it over at this point. I say this as a huge PSO fan. A new one would be nice though.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sega should just remaster PSO2 for the west with an offline mode and local couch co-op support and then sell it for $60.
It would justify an official release way more. The original PSO had that. Remaster Blue Burst too with an offline mode.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The game we have been waiting for so long always been pso2!

We don't need japanese update. They could start fresh and collaborate with others. Just cross Monster Hunter and they have their marketing. Coming to switch this summer.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The game we have been waiting for so long always been pso2!

We don't need japanese update. They could start fresh and collaborate with others. Just cross Monster Hunter and they have their marketing. Coming to switch this summer.

They already did a MH collab a while back. That said, the collab content is driving sales more than their own content probably at this point to illustrate how utterly pervasive collabs are in PSO2. They have them literally on pipeline.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I still play PSO on Gamecube. It's a great way to just tune out for awhile. Then you realize six hours went by, which is also good when you're trying to kill time.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But it't not a shooter. Anyway, random generated level is always a negative for me.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played during the beta and a few months afterwards, and got my fill, tbh. Game just didn't grab me, and I played way too much PSO and PSU.

That ship sailed off into the blue rather quickly. Now that the game is going on seven years old, the ship has since caught fire and the remains are sitting at the bottom of the ocean.

Never say never, but, y'know. Between Sega going licensing happy and the monetization scheme, it wasn't meant to be.
That, and Sega's well aware of all the foreigners who supposedly live in their broom closet, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I've always loved PSO for many of the reasons the OP mentioned about the subsequent games. PSO remains my favorite multiplayer online experience. The thing that has always straight up baffled me is why nobody has outright copied it? Social hub and all?

Developers get too ambitious, and if there are three games that I'd outright copy the best elements from without my own spin, they would be PSO, Borderlands 2, and Left4Dead.

But yeah, especially PSO. Every time I play a new one of these, I'm always thinking in the back of my mind. "Will this be better than PSO?"

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Looty Tooty Point and Shooty is the correct term actually. Shlooter meeting was actually never officially sanctioned.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Dont know if it counts as what we know as a shlooter but it does have more interesting, in-depth mechanics than most modern shlooters.

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
Basically every modern shlooter... really any modern dungeon crawling game oriented around loot could really, really stand to learn a thing or two from the original PSO. It gets so many fundamentals and gameplay loops right that it makes it absolutely astonishing to see games like Anthem and Destiny release with so many design flaws.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
PSO was my first online game and one of the best online experiences I ever had. Playing MHW gives me that PSO vibe. But it's no where close to it. I wish Sega made a PSO Remake for the west.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I played this for a bit with a translation patch. It was really fun. Crying shame it never made it west

Oct 31, 2017
Actually it's been 10 classes for quite a while and soon to be 11.

(Also not a shlooter).
Ezo, good to see you here.

PSO2 as it is won't sit well with a lot of you. You pay money to buy in game arks cash or to play scratches for items you hope to get for your waifu or sell in the shop. I'm amazed how much some people spend every new scratch but hey better them than me.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, sorry to say this game looks like it went off the deep end. Every time i see this game it looks like another event is going on where you seem to be killing the same shit I killed way back during episode 1 endlessly for loot. Doesn't look there's any real substantial content drops outside of an endless rain of collaboration costumes.
The regular quests in PSO2 are unfortunately awfully dull, but the boss based emergency quests are far better nowadays than what we had in Episode 1.
A few of these boss fights even had some unique gimmicks to them, for example, the first 3 mins of this boss:

But even the boss fights that don't have unique gimmicks are pretty fun in my opinion, for me the boss fights are the best thing about PSO2 (that and the music).
I hate that most regular quests are usually so dull though (other than a few exceptions).
(I also dislike the 12 player focus of the game, which often results in too much visual and audio noise when everyone is attacking the same point).

Ezo, good to see you here.
Hiya. xD
Been lurking around since the beginning of these forums, though I usually just check the PC gaming topic.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I had so much fun with PSO2. I should also give PSP2i a shot again. Did they ever finish the fan translation?

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Pso2 is one of the worst games ever made. Such a bastardization of a great franchise

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still like some aspects of melee combat better in PSO1, but guns and magic are def better in 2. A lot of other, non-combat stuff was iterated on from PSU that I wasn't a fan of, rather than PSO. Phantasy Star Portable 2 was pretty good though.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like at this point SEGA should take what they learned from PSO2 and work on a PSO3 with a large international release. Sell cosmetics if they need to fund it. The game was hella bloated last time I played it. The photon art saturation is insane and the gear power curve, yeesh.