• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
And SEGA is basically leaving money on the table here.

phantasy_star_online_2_banner_3_by_casval_lem_daikun-d4wvio6.png

Just let's start from the beginning...

Character customization, still one of the best
The game offers 4 races (originally 3), each with its own strengths and weaknesses. And the character creation is super robust, you can basically create your dream waifu (or self) in this game. Moreover, you can also change the parts and colors of your armor anytime.

Multiple classes, anytime
The game now has 9 main classes with each own skill tree and progression. You can upgrade them into sub class and even switch your class anytime you want in the hub.

Weapons, photon arts, and techniques
There are more than 15 different weapons available in the game now, each can be attached with photon arts and techniques (some sort of skills). Some weapons can only be used by certain classes.

Randomized map with events
Every quest/mission is never the same, as the layout will be randomly generated every time. Moreover, there are random events to spice things up.

Multi-party areas and exploration
In certain maps and events, up to 12 players can play at the same time to tackle special and/or more challenging quests.

Actual social hub
Each instance of a social hub can host more than 100 players at a time. There, people can trade, chat, organize, chill, watch videos, even have an organized event or concert.

Private social space
Other than the social hub, you can also have your own room and decorate it. You can set it to private so only selected friends can enter your private hub.

Trading and economy
This is what's been missing in most modern mmo-lite games. While direct trading is for premium users only, everyone can sell and buy item to put in the auction house.

There are still more that I can't remember right now. To think that this game came out in 2011 makes the whole thing even more baffling. Modern games today with 100x more budget can't even do half of what SEGA achieved with PSO2 many years ago, a multiplayer game with meaningful community and social aspect. To be fair, PSO2 might not actually a shooter, as more than half of the weapons are melee and magic oriented. But you can actually play it in third person and aim manually with ranged weapons.

With the current trend of shooter looter and GaaS gaining momentum globally, PSO3 needs to happen sooner than latter. Most importantly, globally.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how you started off with some sort of critical premise and then gradually just turned it into a PSO appreciation thread

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
With the current trend of shooter looter and GaaS gaining momentum globally, PSO3 needs to happen sooner than latter. Most importantly, globally.

While I agree that it's "better" than a lot of stuff out there, I think the art style is not as appealing for a huge audience in the same way that Destiny is or Anthem could be.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why are you pretending PSO never existed?
Because the first game's features weren't as robust as the sequel. Also, I wanted to make the case that it's a shooter. Afaik, the first game only has automatic aiming.

While I agree that it's "better" than a lot of stuff out there, I think the art style is not as appealing for a huge audience in the same way that Destiny is or Anthem could be.
Yeah, that's something that they can adjust if they were to release it globally.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this, op. PSO2 was a huge missed opportunity in the western markets it was a better destiny before destiny. SMH. Sega wtf?!

May 26, 2018
I'm sorry, the name makes me laugh. Looter shooter...

Makes me want to say rooty tooty point n shooty.

I'm sure I'll stop being a fuddy duddy soon, and get used to it.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
Far from shooter but it's good action if you can get to the high levels. I found the weapons kind of boring until 14 stars rolled out to get to the point where they felt close to PSO1 tier weapons with unique abilities.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Because the first game's features weren't as robust as the sequel. Also, I wanted to make the case that it's a shooter. Afaik, the first game only has automatic aiming.

So? It's still the actual father of this type of game. It was also one of the first multiplayer online games that I can remember on a console.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit of PSO2 when the English patches first came out, but dropped it because without a subscription it feels like you are handicapped since you can't trade. But a lot of your points apply to PSO as well. Yeah it was just grinding for more weapons, but all the classes felt completely different, you needed teamwork, and the combat was easy to understand and fun. I don't need all this other... JUNK, just something I enjoy playing.

After Tetris 99 came out, I wonder what other free games Nintendo could secure as incentives for their online service. The answer: PSO Episode I-III. No updates, just make it 1080p and throw it out there. I would play it. Others would play it. We could play it together. Though Sega would never.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I once found a good weapon in PSO. I wanted to store it because my level was too low, so I gave it to the small robot in my apartment. Little did I know that it would eat the weapon instead of storing it.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played a bit of PSO2 when the English patches first came out, but dropped it because without a subscription it feels like you are handicapped since you can't trade. But a lot of your points apply to PSO as well. Yeah it was just grinding for more weapons, but all the classes felt completely different, you needed teamwork, and the combat was easy to understand and fun. I don't need all this other... JUNK, just something I enjoy playing.

After Tetris 99 came out, I wonder what other free games Nintendo could secure as incentives for their online service. The answer: PSO Episode I-III. No updates, just make it 1080p and throw it out there. I would play it. Others would play it. We could play it together. Though Sega would never.
I'm hoping M2 ports PSO via their AGES thing.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
lol @ thinking the the PSO2 economy is good. This will get a lot of "damn I bet pso2 rules" replies from people that have never played it I guess.

Abandon the economy and power creep and launch PSO3. Enough 8 digit damage numbers.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
lol @ thinking the the PSO2 economy is good. This will get a lot of "damn I bet pso2 rules" replies from people that have never played it I guess.

Abandon the economy and power creep and launch PSO3. Enough 8 digit damage numbers.
I never said it's good. Yeah, it's ruined by the overpriced cash shop items due to the nature of the game being f2p. In a premium game environment, this can easily be avoided.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PSO is probably my favorite multiplayer game, but it was basically Diablo.

These loot-based ARPGs are based on Diablo; but, "looter shooters" have shooting instead of hack 'n' slash mechanics. I don't know why the objective of shooting things to death throws everyone so far off of identifying the genre.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I never said it's good. Yeah, it's ruined by the overpriced cash shop items due to the nature of the game being f2p. In a premium game environment, this can easily be avoided.
But you seem to want the inclusion of a similar system in other titles. I don't know if there's even much point of them in non-f2p titles like Destiny or whatever. I'm also not sure that whatever system Warframe has is worse than PSO2s.

I usually hate MMO economies anyway though based on what limited experience I have with pso2 and ffxiv.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Sega is sleeping on a potential gold mine, stop with shitty ass Sonic games and make an AAA PSO game you cowards! D:

Just look how did that work for Capcom, good co-op multiplayer games is far safer and more popular than furry platformer genre.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You kind of downplayed a lot of PSO2's negative traits, to be honest. Sure, there's 15 weapons, but a lot of overlap among those weapons, and each class is limited to 2 or 3 of them usually. Not counting the Gunslash, which has historically been decent to mediocre to worthless at any given point in the game's history. The game also has MASSIVE ability bloat, arguably more so than any MMORPG I've seen in recent memory. You basically need a guide to figure out which Photon Arts and Techniques are worth using and which aren't. This is to say nothing of PA/Technique crafting.

I also don't know if I'd call PSO2 a "looter shooter", as it's more of an action game almost in the vein of Devil May Cry. There are only two real shooting classes (mechanically) and one of them is a hybrid class that can also melee. The game also lost a lot of the RPG and dungeon crawling aspects that Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe had too.

I still love the game tho, and would have gladly played it in English had it came out. The concept of Emergency Codes and Emergency Quests is utterly brilliant, and I wish more MMORPGs would implement similar things.

Last edited:

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I once found a good weapon in PSO. I wanted to store it because my level was too low, so I gave it to the small robot in my apartment. Little did I know that it would eat the weapon instead of storing it.

The PSO fan in me has to correct you here. You are talking about Phantasy Star Universe, you don't have an apartment or a robot helper in PSO (Mags also only ate consumable items).

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing PSO2 since Alpha 2 with the fan translation. It's ridiculous how much of a missed opportunity this game is, and I'll never understand how it happened. As the years've gone on it's gotten really weird, but the gameplay and social aspect are as strong as ever. Even the economy works out better than most, since free users can get premium content by buying them with in-game money from other players and I've never felt something "premium" was out of my reach. It's just a really well executed game, in spite of the story and setting going completely off the rails.

It's far from perfect, and misses a lot of the unique gamefeel that the original PSO still has but holy crap SEGA dropped the ball.

So? It's still the actual father of this type of game. It was also one of the first multiplayer online games that I can remember on a console.

Yeah, the original game definitely pioneered the genre as well as being the first globally online RPG on consoles period. Not just "one of." It's an iconic part of gaming history.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
PSO2 went in a weird direction and overall I'd say I liked PSO1 more overall, but that combat is still amazing and emergency codes keep it fresh. Not really much of a shooter unless you use a few certain weapons though.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
The Phantasy Star Online / Universe is probably my all time favorite series. Absolutely love it..

Never had a gaming pc so have been heart broken every time there's been a console version announced and never localized..

I'm really not sure why Sega won't bring it over. Didn't all the previous iterations of PSO and PSU do decently in the West?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think Warframe is a better comparison tbh. PSO2 leaves a lot to be desired. Its also ridiculously grindy, and this is ignoring the artstyle...

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish SEGA would just stop ignoring the game, and finally admit why it never came to be.
Still could be a pretty popular game outside Japan with the F2P mechanic, and console support.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Really wish SEGA would just stop ignoring the game, and finally admit why it never came to be.
Still could be a pretty popular game outside Japan with the F2P mechanic, and console support.

A lot of the money PSO2 gets is by gach...selling outfits from different collaborations with animes. This would probably be a nightmare of licensing issues in the west. I also doubt these kind of stuffs would sell well here.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
Cash Shops, doesn't have to be a 1:1 content localization, people would even support different content, if they had to make other collabs, or just skip the collabs, and focus on the OG stuff. Which PSO2 has a lot of.

Also again Cash Shops in a f2p work, really well. Especially if they aren't busted in balance.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, gosh, I was thinking the same today after reading the looter shooter phrase being thrown around. I was contemplating how gaming is descending into this cheap form of reinforcement through loot, meaningless stats and repetition, rather then the conventional journey you'd expect where real change in story, arc and character that takes place. Then I remembered I was nuts about PSO back in the day, and it was doing exactly what these modern looters are doing. I was more forgiving back then I guess as it was the only game of its kind, but with Anthem, Division, Destiny, Overwatch etc it's getting out of hand. These games zero appeal to me today, even though PSO was a huge part of my life when I was a kid.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Not really, they did release in Taiwan and SEA region, and both weren't successful, although both region doing their own pay to win scheme didn't help really either.
As Sega's cash item are mainly cosmetic and some QOL item, Taiwan and SEA locked gear behind a cashwall.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I wish the whole "build the list" initiative from Sony was still a thing so we could make our voices heard that way.... oh well, maybe one day I'll learn Japanese and play it

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
But you seem to want the inclusion of a similar system in other titles. I don't know if there's even much point of them in non-f2p titles like Destiny or whatever. I'm also not sure that whatever system Warframe has is worse than PSO2s.

I usually hate MMO economies anyway though based on what limited experience I have with pso2 and ffxiv.
Warframe doesn't have character customization. They do but only through cosmetics and they're pretty restrictive. Even the classes are pay-walled. The trading is also heavily restricted with platinum currency. Oh and there's more, the loot are just augments, you stick with your weapon of choice for a very long time. There's literally no weapon loot in Warframe.

You kind of downplayed a lot of PSO2's negative traits, to be honest. Sure, there's 15 weapons, but a lot of overlap among those weapons, and each class is limited to 2 or 3 of them usually. Not counting the Gunslash, which has historically been decent to mediocre to worthless at any given point in the game's history. The game also has MASSIVE ability bloat, arguably more so than any MMORPG I've seen in recent memory. You basically need a guide to figure out which Photon Arts and Techniques are worth using and which aren't. This is to say nothing of PA/Technique crafting.

I also don't know if I'd call PSO2 a "looter shooter", as it's more of an action game almost in the vein of Devil May Cry. There are only two real shooting classes (mechanically) and one of them is a hybrid class that can also melee. The game also lost a lot of the RPG and dungeon crawling aspects that Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe had too.

I still love the game tho, and would have gladly played it in English had it came out. The concept of Emergency Codes and Emergency Quests is utterly brilliant, and I wish more MMORPGs would implement similar things.
There are a lot of negative traits of PSO2, but what I'm trying to say here is not suggesting to apply PSO2 system to every shooter looter game out there. My point is that how is it possible that the genre is regressing this much with lots of features missing in modern AAA games.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, they did release in Taiwan and SEA region, and both weren't successful, although both region doing their own pay to win scheme didn't help really either.
As Sega's cash item are mainly cosmetic and some QOL item, Taiwan and SEA locked gear behind a cashwall.

They also suffered from terrible content updates, lack luster support, beyond sketchy localization, and region lock no one asked for. It was all signs of disaster.

It's really not that hard to do better than what the SEA version was, even the fan patch puts that translation to shame.