• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
dcg8WDkGtgKBiG5RnvQivi6v6qlcBlhRFe4XlCDP.jpeg

In a shit year in general, we at least got many great games to help us cope. Amid all of the other high-profilers such as FF7 Remake and The Last of Us 2, let us not forget the amazing Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from EA. The wizards at Petroglyph and Lemon Sky Studios lavishly remade two absolute classics with so much love.

Like it's actually insane how these two games were brought back. Game logic intact, remade UI, completely remastered soundtracks with bonus tracks, a jukebox that allows players to select à la carte any track that they went to listen to while they play, a much-desired mission selection menu and some fan-brainstormed balance changes for the multiplayer.

And that's not even the most impressive part. No, the most impressive part is that EA, motherfucking EA, of all companies, released the source code for both games as open-source. This is fucking wild and deserves so much commendation from everyone. The result of this is that the mod community for this franchise is more active than ever.

As a massive fan of the Command & Conquer franchise, I want to thank everyone who was involved in making this collection a reality. Thank you so, so fucking much. I cannot stress how much I love this franchise, and how it meant to me growing up. When I booted C&C Tiberian Dawn back in June, and was met with the install sequence, lavishly recreated by long-time C&C community member HyperCC, I started crying. That's how much this meant to me.

The collection is only 20$ on Steam. I hugely recommend everyone to give it a shot. Put it in your wishlist for the Holiday Steam sale. You will enjoy it.

And now, after all this, we all know what must be done:

wRuArBR.jpg

Last edited:

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Game of the year without question. The only thing they never added was ultrawide support, but other than that it was fantastic. I have to assume they are going to do Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun but I want it to be confirmed so I know for sure. It's the best game EA has put out in the last 15 years.

el3m

Oct 27, 2017
I believe should come with EA Play to Game Pass PC or Ultimate members, I think on Dec 15

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked it up last week on the sale. Been enjoying the nostalgia (with improved graphics).

It was C&C that got me to buy my first computer. My roommate had a PC and C&C but was stingy with letting others play on it.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
A truly superb remastering, practically redefining what we should expect from these sort of things. It's the sort of passion project you'd never have expected from EA, yet here it is.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Game of the year without question. The only thing they never added was ultrawide support, but other than that it was fantastic. I have to assume they are going to do Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun but I want it to be confirmed so I know for sure. It's the best game EA has put out in the last 15 years.
I am confident that remasters of Tib Sun and RA2 would both feature ultrawide resolution, as I believe that the current games already do support them somewhat with some fiddling and fan patches.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah seemed like they did a really great job with it. I need to grab it during the next Steam sale.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A very good remaster, and a great example of what others should strive to achieve in revitalizing old games.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane that it turned out as well as it did. The high water mark for remasters.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I am confident that remasters of Tib Sun and RA2 would both feature ultrawide resolution, as I believe that the current games already do support them somewhat with some fiddling and fan patches.

Do they? As of a few months ago you couldn't do ultrawide. They actively blocked you from playing ultrawide by adding black bars to the sides of the screen.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This game has reminded me how unforgiving old games can be... Game design has come a long way to sand off those rough edges of frustration...

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Generals Remastered, surely?

I bounced off pretty much all of the post-Tiberian Sun C&Cs, unfortunately. Including Generals.
I don't know how well Generals would fly these days with one faction being China and another being some kind of middle eastern extremists. It was bold back then but would be absolutely foolish today. I really liked that game though so it would be great if they also remastered it.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
I don't know how well Generals would fly these days with one faction being China and another being some kind of middle eastern extremists. It was bold back then but would be absolutely foolish today. I really liked that game though so it would be great if they also remastered it.
Yeah, I was 100% being cheeky, because the factions are straight-up offensive. Even at the time, I found them off-putting. I always heard that it took a really good approach to freshening up the classic C&C gameplay, though.