• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So I wasn't financially ready to dump a bunch of money into getting a PS5 when it first launched. Between some medical bills and other issues that popped up, it just wasn't the right time for it. Now that everything's stabilized and In a position where I can comfortably drop some cash on wants rather than needs, what are my options for actually finding a PS5?

Nowhere around me is restocking them on any sort of regular basis and any time I look online they're sold out everywhere. Is there anywhere in particular that typically gets a bigger stock than other places? That keeps them in stock longer or that don't immediately get sold out as soon as they restock? I'm not in any serious rush, but I'd like to at least know if there's some work around I should be looking for rather than just checking in randomly to see if places have replenished.

EDIT: Specifically, I'd be looking for the non-digital version and would be totally comfortable buying a bundle of some kind if it came down to it. Not sure if that changes where/how I should be looking or not.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
You can't really do anything other than follow Wario64 and those other deal culture people on Twitter. Noplace is getting regular stock yet, and probably won't for a while.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Use discord tracker like ATR Stonks. I have seen PS5 pop up more often then I would have thought. In comparison to a 3080 seems much easier.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Scalpers, unfortunately.

You might get lucky and jump in a queue on Sony's site but that doesn't guarantee you'll get one. Keep your eyes open!

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Just wait, not much to play there anyway. I'm sure there'll be restocks when the big hits are released.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
You can't really do anything other than follow Wario64 and those other deal culture people on Twitter. Noplace is getting regular stock yet, and probably won't for a while.
That's about what I figured, just wasn't sure if maybe I was going about it the wrong way or something. I've been pretty bad at keeping up with news on this console launch so I'm kind of playing catch-up on it all this week.

rob someone

or wait. never pay scalpers
Oh yeah, no, no interest in paying a scalper for something like this. Like I said, I'm in no rush; just wasn't sure if I was missing something in terms of how they're being distributed.

Robbing someone is, of course, always on the table...

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Follow/enable notification from twitter accounts that are tracking the releases

Can also use plugins in chrome like OctoShop that will notify you when stock is about to arrive

I've been passively trying to get a PS5 for the past month or so and finally scored one last week

Rbrogue

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I got one by using the telegram app with a channel that was getting push notification from nowinstock. There's a link on the nowinstock page to the channel.

Sony PlayStation 5 In Stock Tracker - Slim Digital, Slim Disc Consoles - NowInStock.net

Looking for Sony PlayStation 5 (PS5) but having no luck? Maybe our FREE Sony PlayStation 5 (PS5) In Stock Tracker can help!

I got a push notification that said GameStop had some stock and just dropped everything I was doing and bought one of the bundles. So now I have a ps5 and a useless copy of nba 2k21 or something that's doing great work as a coaster.

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
Probably pretty slim right now and in the near future. Microchip shortage right now which is limiting a number consumer electronics and vehicles being built. Best bet to check on stores early in the mornings and ask if any have arrived.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
If it makes your waiting feel better, I sort of stopped playing after getting the credits from Miles, Demons, and Control.

Not really interested in anything exclusive for PS5 until black friday sales.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't even try. You'll get the console at its most expensive, biggest, most unstable and most failure-prone AND either pay scalpers out the ass (don't) or waste a ton of energy looking for an opportunity to get one. IMHO, just wait it out.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wait and follow accounts that list availability. Different stores get different drop dates, so you'll almost certainly get multiple chances over the course of a month. You generally want to be in there within the minute it goes live, and even then it's a crapshoot.

Also be prepared to get a bundle that inflates the price but not nearly to the same extent as scalping.

I personally finally got an order in just a few days ago after starting to look earlier this month, but I had to get a bundle with an extra controller + Miles Morales + The Pathless. I wanted those games and I can sell the controller but it still very almost pushed me over budget.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Waiting and hoping won't get you one for months

If you want one before then, you're gonna need to put in the work. Staying up late, waking up early, refeshing various tabs, scouring social media.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Also be prepared to get a bundle that inflates the price but not nearly to the same extent as scalping.

I'll add to this one. Gamestop will send out emails when they have stock going live. They've mentioned it for bundles, however I was able to snag a Series X non-bundle. So I think if you check, you can probably get JUST the console itself, though they're pushing more on the bundles.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
The way I got my Rift when it was still months backordered:
I used nowinstock they have an alarm function when the item goes in stock.

It woke me up at 3 in the morning, and I was successful

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I got mine from Playstation Direct. Their queue system gives you an even chance against the bots. Sign up for a Twitter alert from a tracking site.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My general strategy, being outside the US so none of the usual alerts or online ordering works for me, is to not worry about it and just check the videogame sections of general stores when I'm there to see if they have any in stock that day. So far no success, but at some point it's going to work out. And I figure by the time I find one, there will probably be more exclusives worth playing there.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Pretty much this. If you have a PS4 just stick with it. You're not missing much on the PS5.
yeah, i figured. The issue is more that i have the launch PS4 and it is very much on its last legs. Getting hard to play anything that pushes it even a little bit. Figured I'd just keep it going and wait til the new generation to upgrade, but that didn't quite pan out how I'd hoped it would.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Follow wario64 on Twitter and enable notifications. He will spam you with a ton of deals you don't care about, but I have gotten 4 PS5s and 4 Series Xs through him since their launch.

Don't worry guys, I am in no way scalping these. Just bought them for parents/siblings/friends who wanted the new consoles but didn't really understand how to do this method. Gave them to them at cost.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I've used my PS5 to almost exclusively play PS4 games. I would say wait unless your dying to get one and go through all the stuff. But it's (IMO) certainly not worth too much trouble at this moment. And I say that as someone who loves the PS5 and has had every Sony console since 2. You're just not missing out on much yet.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They're simply not available right now, and you'll have to wait for supply to meet demand.

From me and everyone else still waiting for their chance to buy a PS5, please don't buy from a scalper you're just making it worse for everyone.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Real answer:

1. Find twitter deal bot accounts posting about console availability, and see if they mention Discord. Discord is at least a minute or two faster (if not instant) compared to Twitter's slow refresh and notification.

2. Sign up for their Discord channels, which will have bots that scrape websites and post about any stock allocations faster than these companies can tweet about it. This includes rare items and also tells you if there's a queue up.

3. Turn on notifications for products you are looking for, e.g. RTX 3080 or PS5 or Xbox, etc.

4. When you get notification, be ready to buy within 2 minutes with all store accounts ready and payment saved.

That's the only way to beat scalpers: join these communities (that they themselves have as well, along with three click cart skipping and purchase bots).

Bonus: PM me if you want to get invitation link to Canadian deal discord channel.

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Follow wario64 on Twitter and enable notifications. He will spam you with a ton of deals you don't care about, but I have gotten 4 PS5s and 4 Series Xs through him since their launch.

Don't worry guys, I am in no way scalping these. Just bought them for parents/siblings/friends who wanted the new consoles but didn't really understand how to do this method. Gave them to them at cost.

Honestly, I wouldn't care one bit even if you were reselling for a profit. The method you're doing it through isn't circumventing human limitations and flaws in how orders are processed to buy dozens and ensure no one else can get one except through them.

Ordered through GameStop
OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So yall weren't kidding about Wario64's twitter account. An insanely annoying amount of updates on all sorts of things I didn't care about, but then about 20 minutes ago it totally came through with an update about gamestop getting more consoles (normal and digital versions) in tonight. Order went through right away and I should be getting it some time around March 3rd.

Looks like they're still in stock on the website if anyone else is looking for one still. Spider-man bundle seems to be the only one actually working.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm currently using a youtube 24/7 stock tracker whenever I'm using the PC in addition to those Twitter notifications. I put it in a smaller window while I do other stuff and It blasts an alarm the very second stock becomes available. If I wanted to secure an Series X today twice I could have easily gotten them. I suggest adding this to your arsenal should you start hearing rumors about a stock drop.

This is the one i'm using:

Theres also a page for video card stock drops too.

Edit: Literally after I posted this got a stock drop alert for RTX 3090. Fuck that alarm is loud lol.

Last edited:

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
So yall weren't kidding about Wario64's twitter account. An insanely annoying amount of updates on all sorts of things I didn't care about, but then about 20 minutes ago it totally came through with an update about gamestop getting more consoles (normal and digital versions) in tonight. Order went through right away and I should be getting it some time around March 3rd.

Looks like they're still in stock on the website if anyone else is looking for one still. Spider-man bundle seems to be the only one actually working.

congrats man! Glad to hear it worked out! Good news is, now you can turn those notifications off for good 😊

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait for stock to improve. You're not missing much right now anyway.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

Congratulations!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

That's awesome, congrats!

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017

Yup, I was actually able to get my little brother a PS5 with that most recent Wario64 post. Second time I've been able to get a PS5 on GameStop. Everywhere else I've tried sold out before I even got to see it go live.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this thread is actually giving me some hope for snagging a PS5. Gonna be using that YT feed and Twitter for sure 👍

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Do you have 800€? Because that's the actual price for one right now on Europe EBay.

Just wait, not much to play there anyway. I'm sure there'll be restocks when the big hits are released.

Hard disagree with that notion.
Demons Souls and Miles Morales might not be for everyone and I don't think paying a scalper is worth it.

But the PS5 plays all the last gen games and makes them better. The quick loading times are worth the purchase alone.