• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mechanically and design wise, it's the best game of the generation. While the narrative doesn't live up to the hype of the first 3 games, it's still better than what 80% of games on the market deliver and still better than the masterbatory drivel we got in MGS4

It's a 10/10 game

Last edited:

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
Probably the most disappointing game of this gen for me.

The story & its ending was so bad it almost turned me off MGS for good

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I finished MGS1, 2, 3 and 4 approx 4 times each. I did not finish 5. Did not feel like a MGS game to me. Great game to play for sure but not what I wanted.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was extremely let down by the story we got with the game and the incomplete feeling of it all. However it did play good so I took another run not too long ago and enjoyed it thoroughly because I knew what to expect going in.

I skipped all the cut scenes and treated it as a gameplay only sorta deal and had a blast with it. Taking all focus off the story and any real attempt to complete stuff efficiently made me mess around with the mechanics a lot more too.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had my expectations adjusted because i played and enjoyed Peace Walker way more than i did MGS4. So i knew what kind of game MGSV was going to be from the outset and it was more or less exactly what i expected. Peak gameplay in the series, tied with the second worst story told in the series. Since gameplay is far more important than the story, i let the unfinished and underwhelming nature of the narrative slide. The gameplay more than made up for it. Even if it did have issues of it's own.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Now I'm thinking about the characters and I still can't get over how shit and boring MGS5's Ocelot is. Like fuck me, that had to be intentional right? He's always been at his worst entertaining as fuck.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a good game but I disagree.

Gameplay was perfect but there are so many issues within the game that brings it down. The story being very weirdly structured, the maps being very big for their own good which results in them being very boring to traverse, the very needlessly complicated way to start missions, the fact you need to either replay the story missions or do the side ops missions just to see the ending. The last point was also bad in Peace Walker however.

Then you get to the characters like quiet being so damn stupid design wise and all those add up. If I had to score it would be a 7 or 8. A really good game that is flawed.

Still, it is one of those games I keep installed because I get the itch to go back and play it.

Jan 4, 2018
I loved MGS 4. I liked Ground Zeroes. I hate MGS V. Garbage. Useless, lifeless and empty open world, outrageous Chapter 2, pathetic story (and Skull Face being a complete joke), super repetitive missions, main missions that are most of the time boring side missions, soundtrack is weak, too much time waiting for the helicopter.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
That game left me feeling really, really down after I had played it. I was looking forward to this game for years and as a fan, the story was the ultimate left down.
The trailers make the feeling so much worse. They were so full of emotion and felt like this is supposed to be the big bang of MGS, but it ended up being a whimper of the most dissappointing kind.

And while the gameplay is awesome, I dont think TPP ever achieved the level design of GZ or MGS3 or even 4. Outposts were pretty parse and small, there were maybe a couple of different doors from which you can enter but man did the game feel empty..

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Besides the really underwhelming story I just felt the mission design was boring as hell. Yeah, you have a million ways to play the game and that's great but most of the missions you're doing it in were boring aside from the handful of big main missions.

Nasigil

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
If it's really just light on story(like Dark Souls or BoTW), it'd be fine, or even great. The problem is that it does has a story, a terrible and blatantly unfinished story. Also the whole game is 30 hours long at best but they try to stretch it to 90 hours or more by purposefully wasting your time as much as possible on repetitive lazy missions.

With these two glaring flaws existing the game should never reach more than 90 MC score, even though I do consider it to have the greatest gameplay system I've had the joy the experience. The reason it got that score in the first place is that Konami only allow journalists to play the game for like 30 hours so they don't see the late game problems. Konami knows exactly what they are doing.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It one of the best games this generation.
Yeah, honestly, it feels like it was released so long ago that you'd forget that it was even part of this console generation, but the level of freedom that it affords the player is almost unparalleled. I really need to get around to playing it again. I don't like dealing with the Skulls, but I enjoyed everything else about the game, outside of a few suspect cases of enemies spawning in for certain missions. The only other Metal Gear game that I enjoyed was the original Solid on PlayStation.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think its the best stealth game ever made. The scripted story heavy opening was boring but overall the game is an amazing open world stealth game. The cutscenes are fun to watch too but the cassette tapes were bad in general.

I think Zelda botw and MGSV are the best open world games out there and they both are very Japanese in design. I really like Japanese open world design and there should be more of them.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought it was an unfinished turd of a game with so much genius sprinkled on top it ended up being awesome anyway.

Death Stranding is going to be the same.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It's true, MGSV had the best gameplay with the worst story in the series.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it's absolutely a pretty fun game if taken in a vacuum. But even ignoring the baggage from previous games, it's so clearly unfinished that it doesn't tie up plot lines that were literally introduced in the same game.

The open world did feel lacking to me as well, even if the normal MGS guard shenanigans were fun. It rarely went beyond that.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
The trailers make the feeling so much worse. They were so full of emotion and felt like this is supposed to be the big bang of MGS, but it ended up being a whimper of the most dissappointing kind.

And while the gameplay is awesome, I dont think TPP ever achieved the level design of GZ or MGS3 or even 4. Outposts were pretty parse and small, there were maybe a couple of different doors from which you can enter but man did the game feel empty..
Pretty much this.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I think I could have ignored most of it's shortcomings had the open world itself been great, unfortunately it's pretty bland. It's a sentiment echoed often, but I found that the map in Ground Zeroes ended up being better designed than all of the camps in TPP. Unfortunately there's nothing of interest in-between the camps either... Overall I did really enjoy my time with it, and I've enjoyed revisiting it, but I think the greatest failure of the game ignoring the story is the failure to make an engaging open world.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's one of those games which are greater than the sum of its parts. Take mission design, for example. There's criticism about repetition, specially on side missions, or lack of unique stages, in the way previous games or Ground Zeroes had. On the other hand, every mission can be tackled in many different ways, and with secondary targets to spare, it's ever inviting us, to come back and play again. Mother Base took this design to its limits: every invasion shares a pattern, but so many things can go differently, that every match feels unique.

Modern Hitman does similar with Contracts. Well, The Phantom Pain gave its own spin to the idea, in an open-world, continuous environment. The sad thing in this story is there won't be an evolution of the concept, within MGS. Hopefully, Death Stranding will be able to raise the ante.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Gameplay 10/10
Story 5/10

I walked away from Phantom Pain being just disappointed because there was quite a lot of potential for the story to be great.