• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

Glow Beauty knew it was holding solid gold, and it was not afraid to charge for it. On Amazon this week it was asking $348 for four plastic bottles of Purell hand sanitizer. That included free shipping, mind you. And the bottles were 40.5 ounces each. Still, buyers were not impressed. After questions from The Washington Post, the seller said it was removing the listing.

imrs.php

Widespread fears about coronavirus have caused acute shortages of hand sanitizer, creating a cottage industry online: Purell speculation. Amazon has been awash with sanitizer arbitrage, as third-party sellers hawk their remaining supply at premium prices. (Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

On Wednesday, a seller called Pure Products Direct was asking $79.99 for two eight-ounce bottles — a relative steal considering another vendor wanted $54.99 for one bottle. A day earlier, Village Pharmacy and Boutique was asking $400 for a case of 24 two-ounce bottles. "Collectible — Very Good," it said of the cargo's condition.

ESNaTzTUEAAMhU0

Amazon last week said it was cracking down on third-party vendors that are trying to profit from the coronavirus frenzy. But some sky-high listings continued through Wednesday afternoon.

"There is no place for price gouging on Amazon," spokeswoman Cecilia Fan said by email last week. "We are disappointed that bad actors are attempting to artificially raise prices on basic need products during a global health crisis and, in line with our long-standing policy, have recently blocked or removed tens of thousands of offers. We continue to actively monitor our store and remove offers that violate our policies."

CVS and Target stores in Washington, D.C., have been sold out of Purell and other sanitizers in recent days. A Bed Bath & Beyond was cleaned out Saturday, after one woman bought $86 worth of purse-sized bottles, according to a cashier who would give only her first name, Shanee.

A Target employee who fulfills online orders at a store in Richmond said it was "dead out of hand sanitizer."

"One customer ordered 60 three-ounce bottles," the employee said. "That was literally all they wanted." Local media and Twitter users in other parts of the country also reported empty shelves.

Target, Bed Bath & Beyond and CVS did not respond to requests for comment.

Gojo Industries, the Akron, Ohio-based company that makes Purell... said it became aware of the coronavirus in December and began increasing production in January, before there were any reported cases of the illness in the United States. The company's factories — two in Ohio, one in France have been running at full capacity since.

More at the link. Sell me 48oz of used Purell if old.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So shitty of these sellers. Amazon also needs to implement one/two bottles per account, per month on shit like this. Price gouging like this is shitty, but it's only slightly more shitty than people hoarding more than they'll ever need

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
I just rub my hands in shit so no one will want to get near me to spread the virus.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think wed be a fuck ton better off If we just washed our hands more often and more thoroughly anyway. Sanitizer is supposed to be a supplement to that. Buying all the sanitizer you can lay eyes on is nuts.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, this isn't hand sanitizer. This is listerine mixed with DIY slime!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
abc7.com

How to make your own hand sanitizer to help prevent the coronavirus and flu

You can make your own hand sanitizer for minimal money and minimal effort to help prevent contracting the coronavirus.

Lol yup just after I posted that I ran into thisnon my Facebook feed from a relative
www.popsci.com

How to make hand sanitizer

You can easily make your own hand sanitizer with supplies you can find at a drugstore or may already have at home.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Uhhh isn't making your own hand sanitizer not advised? Kinda irresponsible of this ABC affiliate tbh
I mean, it's not like you're drinking it. You mix rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, a few drops of lavender and some vanilla in a bowl.

Does it work? Who the hell knows. But it shouldn't* blow up or anything.

*in theory

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I mean, it's not like you're drinking it. You mix rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, a few drops of lavender and some vanilla in a bowl.

Does it work? Who the hell knows. But it shouldn't* blow up or anything.

*in theory

I think they mean dangerous in the sense that it gives people a false sense of security that they're actually washing their hands not that the product itself will harm hem.

Oct 28, 2017
I think they mean dangerous in the sense that it gives people a false sense of security that they're actually washing their hands not that the product itself will harm hem.

As I posted above the article says sanitizer is not a replacement for washing hands and homemade sanitizer should only be used where you dont have clean water or medical grade sanitizer. This isnt for Billy and Suzie Homemaker in the USA. At least not under the most extreme of circumstances.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I wonder how much our school has, it would suck to run out, I use it all the time

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but doesn't regular handwashing soap also help?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just don't have any physical interaction with strangers and regularly wash your hands. Problem solved.

That'll be $200 please.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We can't even get any sanitizer in regularly. What little we do is limited to one per customer. We also keep trying to educate people about what is actually going to help and no one's getting the hint.

That's the most frustrating thing about all of this. Panic is overriding sensible advice.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Washing with soap and water is preferable, but 60%+ alcohol sanitizer can be used when access to the former is unavailable. If you're buying hand sanitizer, make sure that it's the right kind.

www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Whether or not Purell is the most effective method, it's absolute scumbag behavior to prey on the general public's fear like this.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Just mix some aloe vera gel and isopropyl alcohol and you got yourself some home made hand sanitizer, I'll take your money via venmo or paypal please.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I mean if they are doing this for purell they should be doing it for thousands of other products. Overpriced third party products are like common.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but doesn't regular handwashing soap also help?

Soap is more effective than hand sanitizer, because the lipids in the soap break apart the bonds that hold the virus together. Hand sanitizer is also effective, but soap is preferable when it comes to viruses.