• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Kind of agree for myself, I feel when I play most indie-games I get what they are going for in the first 5-10 minutes and don't expect any surprises, just because of the nature of making a game on a tiny budget, you can't really invest time in radically shifting or having huge surprises 5-10 hours into the game.

I tend to find myself thinking, this game is really interesting I wonder what it'd be like as a full production with a full budget. ect. ect. But that's also just the nature of my business I guess.

Still a lot of brilliant stuff out there that I wish I had the time to try!

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Definitely not the case for me. GaaS/MTX-riddled experieces are a total turn off for me, and that's the path that a lot of AAA games are going further and further down. I get less hyped for AAA games nowadays than I did back when I was fresh out of high school. Although there are still some AAA games that I get hyped for, I'm more interested in the so-called "AA" tier of videogames than I am in proper AAA... and the indie scene still frequently delivers refreshing gems too.

That said, I've never gotten hyped for an indie game to the same degree as something like, say, Death Stranding or The Last of Us 2. But that's not a new development as a result of age, just the way things have always been for me. I love indies, but I seldom get hyped for one in advance. And in the rare case that I do get excited for one in advance (like Golf Story or Wargroove for instance), it's still relatively muted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I'm surprised people still think indie means 2D pixel art sidescrollers in 2019.

Indie game = small team. It's not a genre or an artstyle.

I dont thinks anyone thinks indie only means only 2d pixel art sidescrollers. I am just tired of those kind of games and art style though.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's the opposite.

One of the best "new" games I've played this year is Xeodrifter on Switch, a short and super pixelated Metroidvania indie game.

And No Man's Sky is closing in on the top of my best games of all time list.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised people still think indie means 2D pixel art sidescrollers in 2019.

Indie game = small team. It's not a genre or an artstyle.

Yeah there are already a few unfortunate generalisations here as these sorta threads tend to create. Both the games I brought up for example are not this but some people very narrow minded it seems.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yeah there are already a few unfortunate generalisations here as these sorta threads tend to create. Both the games I brought up for example are not this but some people very narrow minded it seems.
Ehh, goes for both sides. A lot of people call Triple A games MTX ridden, uninspired, overly produced, one note, cash grab ect.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I am with OP. I just don't seem to be interested in indie games anymore. They just seem like time wasters. When I sit down to game, I want the game to be blow me away with AAA production values, visuals, story, gameplay etc..... it is probably why I am a huge PlayStation fan because their games cater to my tastes.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah I'm the opposite. Love indies and AA but AAA is too safe for me usually.
With a AAA game you're guaranteed to get a well made products for sure but if it isn't exciting what's the point in playing it?

God Of War 2018 is a great example for me. Beautifully crafted and fully deserving of its GoTY awards. Its not a bad game I just find it boring. Its too safe, feels too homogeneous. I got what I expected it to be when they first revealed.

Indies however are very hit and miss but when they do hit it's usually something I remember more so than most AAA games.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the kind of game. I'm definitely the least interested I've ever been in indie games that focus more on storytelling. I loved Gone Home, one of my favorite games in 2013, but today I don't think I'd even give it a shot.

But then a Blazing Chrome comes out and rocks my world.

Oct 26, 2017
I am with OP. I just don't seem to be interested in indie games anymore. They just seem like time wasters. When I sit down to game, I want the game to be blow me away with AAA production values, visuals, story, gameplay etc..... it is probably why I am a huge PlayStation fan because their games cater to my tastes.
Any game is a time waster if you don't find it particularly fun. For me, a game like Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption 2, or The Witcher 3 is more of a time waster than something like, say, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, or Rocket League

Ah yes, era, the same place that spent a year in every thread had tons of peoole saying a game like octopath traveler wasn't worth 60 bucks because of its 2d graphics.
Yeah, indie games are no more idolized than AAA / bigger AA are here. I mean, we're probably never going to see a non-AAA/AA game take the overall GotY or perhaps even hit the Top 3 on here

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ehh, goes for both sides. A lot of people call Triple A games MTX ridden, uninspired, overly produced, one note, cash grab ect.

Yeah that would probably be the case were the thread's premise be inverted I'd imagine. I just can't really jive with writing off Undertale, Firewatch and Downwell among others just because of their being low budget and/or their art style is all. It's a shame like I said originally but it's not my problem thankfully.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I've never been interested in any indie titles

Only ever gotten them free from giveaways and bundles

Like now for an example can't really think of any indie game I am interested in and can't think of any to even bother buying day 1

My interest lies in AAA and first party level titles

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Any game is a time waster if you don't find it particularly fun. For me, a game like Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption 2, or The Witcher 3 is more of a time waster than something like, say, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, or Rocket League

Yeah, indie games are no more idolized than AAA / bigger AA are here. I mean, we're probably never going to see a non-AAA game take the overall GotY or perhaps even hit the Top 3 on here
We prolly won't see that anywhere

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
36 years old I still get excited for both. It's so weird to see people writing off one side or the other... you're missing out on a ton of amazing games by not embracing both.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Still got a lot of Indies I need to try (so many, too many), but few have ever really hooked me. Last one was Bloodstained, though I just think of that as another Igavania, and not really the best of them either.

I'll never write them off, but I'm usually hard-pressed to finish them. Budget is a harsh factor. And sometimes the weird experiences allowed for with the lack of a budget's restraints just aren't experiences I find very compelling. Like game versions of cliched student films.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I dont thinks anyone thinks indie only means only 2d pixel art sidescrollers. I am just tired of those kind of games and art style though.

Never liked them myself. But there's a huge variety in indie games from virtually every genre (certainly more variety than what you can find on the AAA stuff). But I noticed you included AA in the titles you're interested in, and thinking about it I think most of what I play is actually AA and not really indie, so I guess we're not really that different.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the same era where every AAA game is a microtransaction grind filled cash grab?

Look at the responses in the thread you made, lol.

You think more people here are excited for Death Stranding or the next Hollow Knight? The Last of Us 2 or...I won't finish that lol.

But your responses tell me you want affirmation, not conversation.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of agree for myself, I feel when I play most indie-games I get what they are going for in the first 5-10 minutes and don't expect any surprises, just because of the nature of making a game on a tiny budget, you can't really invest time in radically shifting or having huge surprises 5-10 hours into the game.

I tend to find myself thinking, this game is really interesting I wonder what it'd be like as a full production with a full budget. ect. ect. But that's also just the nature of my business I guess.

Still a lot of brilliant stuff out there that I wish I had the time to try!

This is funny because it goes both ways for me. On big budget games i constantly find myself wondering how they let something slip, or where the hell the money went. Like how can you be working with this budget and not focus to do the things that accentuate what this game does best? Why are you putting resources here instead of here? Why is the game design spread so thin over a huge game when THIS core thing is what makes the game work? Or how is there so much visual flash and damn near no content when some lower budget indie or AA games are running around with 50+ hours of stuff?

Nothing's ever perfect, which is why i appreciate the balance variety gives me. This game makes up for this other game's faults. This game does something that other one can't or won't. They had a ton of money and you can see it on screen, but this team has the creative freedom to get weird.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, except i never really liked indies in the first place. I can play one or two through the year but that's all.

1. There is just too many of them. Even those that get somewhat mainstream hype are plenty, they get hyped up as a second coming for a few weeks and then it's over, if they can maintain hype and are brought up in conversations after a year+ and idea picks your interest, this is a sign that you probably should check it out though.
2. These games are usually feel like they are one trick pony and you have seen 90% of the game after first 2 levels or 30 minutes of play. Even if that trick is good there is not enough meat on the bones to carry the game...
3. If you are old then even if indie game provides some holy unseen experience, you already seen it in some way or form, so it does not bring desired effect.
4. Again, old as fuck and already know what you like, so it is really hard to try something else when you have enough stuff, you already know you will love, on your plate.
5. Pixel art is a no no.

All i can think of right now that I liked from indie scene in the last few years is SUPERHOT VR, What Remains of Edith Finch and INSIDE.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I feel the opposite way. As I grow older I tend to gravitate more towards games with interesting mechanics that can be played in short, intense bursts, which means I mainly play fighting games and arcade style indies.

maikeruRX78

Jan 4, 2018
Ehh... For me, it's been the inverse. I get excited for smaller titles and niche games more than I do any major AAA titles nowadays. If it's something like a turn-based strategy RPG, or a simple rogue-like with a tight gameplay cycle, I'll probably pick it up instantly.

I'd rather just wait for the "complete edition" of them to come out, assuming they're developed with a timetable that rolls out further content down the line, be it something where you get post-game narrative, or side-missions filling out gaps in the narrative; or for something where there's a gameplay loop like your typical looter-shooter or MP game, I'd rather wait until there's an abundance of content so I don't run into an endless grind of a small portion of content that burns me out quickly.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
The total opposite actually. I still get into the occasional AAA like God of War and Forza, or similar caliber, but most of my gaming these days seem to be indie titles. Gamepass helps in that regard I suppose ;)

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Opposite, usually only 1-3 AAA titles a year. this year its only been Sekiro, Death stranding and the monster hunter expansion will most likely be my last AAA purchases this year. I spend the bulk of my time with indies.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
OP needs to give his age, because now it's impossible to gauge what he actually means.

Similar to 90% of the thread I seem to have the opposite experience, but with growing older I mean 37. In my 20s I probably played mostly AAA. I had limited budget and so when I grew older I converged to just the main big budget games. In my thirties I'm super jaded and I have less time and so I prefer creative indies. But perhaps in my fifties I'm both time starved and I don't really care for meaningful experiences and I go back to AAA. So where is OP exactly?

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I am in my 40s and keep turning on my PS4, sitting there looking at all the games for a few, can't decide what to play and turn it off.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, indie games are no more idolized than AAA / bigger AA are here. I mean, we're probably never going to see a non-AAA/AA game take the overall GotY or perhaps even hit the Top 3 on here
Not necessarily. Rocket league or something like guacamelee, rogue legacy etc... were games I played in the past and had fun but I just don't find the desire to play those kind of games anymore. I can tell some games would be fun but also know that I would lose interest quickly because I value story, narrative, cutscenes, visuals, music, presentation, characters etc... more than just completing a level or beating a boss.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I share similar feelings with the OP. I don't have kids but my job is demanding so I've become very selective. I only like to play the big games that are well-reviewed and games in franchises I'm already familiar with. The rest of the time I'm dedicating to fighting games.

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
I feel much the same way OP. For me it comes down to free time.

A few years ago I played pretty much everything and got really excited about games like transistor, but now my time is so much more limited that AAA games take up most of my gaming time.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
For me its literally the exact opposite.

Far more into games like Kitano Zero, Ape Out, and Hotline Miami, than the big repetitive AAA games.

I think its a combination of my changing tastes, and obviously AAA games have become very safe and repetitive.

RockStier

Jul 21, 2019
Opposite ;-)
For me, gameplay is king!
So for the most part i get more excitement out of indies. From time to time though some AA/AAA get me!

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Indie games can be hit and miss and with some AAA series you know exactly what you're going to get gameplay wise so I can feel that.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Mostly the opposite. As AAA games become increasing obsessed with monetization, GAAS, and multiplayer at the expense of single player, I'm increasingly only interested in Indie games. Nothing in the AAA space has come close to the deeply resonant experiences of Hyper Light Drifter or Hollow Knight, in the last couple of years.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a similar boat, OP.

Indie games largely aren't doing it for me anymore. But it's mainly because the genres that are prevalent in that sphere like roguelikes, puzzle-platformers and artsy fartsy games are just getting kind of tired.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really separate games into "indie" or "AAA" buckets, I just play what I like. I can definitely say that the Big Indies, or whatever you want to call them, started really boring me and I rarely buy them anymore.

I play a lot of literal indie games, just not many that show up on Best Indies of 20XX lists.

Oct 26, 2017
Not necessarily. Rocket league or something like guacamelee, rogue legacy etc... were games I played in the past and had fun but I just don't find the desire to play those kind of games anymore. I can tell some games would be fun but also know that I would lose interest quickly because I value story, narrative, cutscenes, visuals, music, presentation, characters etc... more than just completing a level or beating a boss.
But that in the end comes down to what you enjoy and value. For example, I value slick and smooth controls, so something like The Witcher 3 doesn't do it for me, regardless of how good everything else is. Also, I'm not sure how games like, say, Rocket League or Sonic Mania are lacking in the music, visuals, or presentation department. It's not as if people are playing them solely to complete a level or to play something with friends

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm the opposite. I don't have time for AAA games that take a million years to complete. On the other end, I love small games that immediately throw me into a challenge or have a decent multiplayer scene where I can pick up the game and get into it.

Some games buck the trend but ruin my life because of it. Like fire emblem has me up until like 3am trying to grind through the story.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
When i was younger i prefered AAA games, now i'm enjoying indies a lot more than back then.
That doesn't mean i prefer one or another but indies right now have more place in my game library than ever.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the exact opposite.

The older I get, the less I care about AAA stuff. It's the indie sphere where interesting stuff is happening.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a mix for me. I like games like Hollow Knight and Horizon ZD equally, as long as they are executed well and are interesting. Guess I like an interesting hook that's fully explored, polished while being fun to play.

I can understand people who don't want to spend money on an indie game with a lot of jank, or buy a boring AAA game that plays the same like all the others for the last 10 years.

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I've had like 30 years to play games that resemble 8 bit pixel art. I'm just tired of them, and don't want to really spend my money on a game that would have looked cutting edge in 1985 while playing on my 6TFLOP's 4k console. I have no problem with these games existing, but they just aren't for me. I'm glad they are there for those who like them.

And I do like some indie games like Firewatch, Steamworld Dig, and What Remains of Edith Finch, but these are exceptions.

The bottom line is when I buy new $400-500 consoles meant for for 4K content, I don't have much interest in games that look like they they could run on a graphing calculator.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I never cared about indie games and still don't for the most part. I can only enjoy AAA games.

Oct 27, 2017
It's strange because it's been the opposite for me. I used to get excited for the latest thing with the best graphics but over time I have found that it's the indie devs who really get to express their passion in their projects while larger publishers are on a crawl to extract as much money as possible with as little effort as possible.