• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
As US coronavirus cases dramatically shoot up to the highest peak yet in the pandemic, prominent public health experts are calling for a nationwide mandate to wear masks to try to drag down disease spread.

The call comes as violent clashes over masks continue in places that already have face-covering requirements.

Fauci noted that, according to data from countries better off than the US, masking and other "low-tech" efforts, such as physical distancing and avoiding crowds, are effective at controlling the virus. "There's no doubt," he said. "It makes a difference."

Fauci also addressed concerns about future lockdowns. The idea is almost "radioactive" now, Fauci said. "Well, If you don't want to shut down, at least do the fundamental, basic things," he said.

a shoe-store security guard in Chicago was stabbed 27 times after asking two sisters to put on masks and use store-provided hand sanitizer. Illinois has a statewide mandate to wear masks in public and while working.

The attack, which was caught on surveillance cameras, occurred after the sisters refused the public health measures and the guard asked them to leave. They allegedly hurled a trash can at his head, stabbed him repeatedly with a "comb knife" in the back, neck, and arms, and also kicked him in the head and body. The guard broke free and was able to keep the pair in the store until police arrived.

Police arrested the sisters, who are being held without bond on charges of first-degree attempted murder. The guard was transported to a local hospital where police said he was in critical condition, according to The Washington Post.

The stunning attack on the security guard is just the latest in a string of violent encounters over masks, The Washington Post notes. In September, an 80-year-old man died of blunt force trauma to the head after being shoved by a maskless man during a dispute over masks in a New York bar. In August, a Michigan man died after being stabbed by another customer at a Quality Dairy store, who refused to wear a mask when confronted by a grocery store employee.

In July, police in California charged a grocery-store security guard and his wife with murder after a fight with a maskless customer. The same month, a maskless woman in New Jersey broke another woman's leg at a Staples during a mask altercation. And in May, the security guard of a Family Dollar store in Michigan was killed after telling a customer that her child had to wear a mask to enter the store.

arstechnica.com

As experts call for nationwide mask mandate, anti-maskers stab guard 27 times

“We’re not in a good place,” Fauci notes.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People are so fucking shitty and selfish.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wait. He was stabbed 27 times (!!!) and still able to restrain the two attackers?! Holy shit. I hope they rot in prison for the rest of their lives.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the security guard recovers fully - no one should have to deal people like that and its people like that why my buddy hasn't gone back to work security. We as a people literally just have to do two very simple fucking things to make sure we protect ourselves and others: wear a fucking mask, and social distancing.

Fuck the people that can't do the bare minimum, honestly.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I don't know what a combo knife is, but this man was stabbed 27 times with it and still not only lived but retained the people stabbing until cops got there. Is a combo knife just like a totally ineffective thing or is this dude like next level?

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I don't know what a combo knife is, but this man was stabbed 27 times with it and still not only lived but retained the people stabbing until cops got there. Is a combo knife just like a totally ineffective thing or is this dude like next level?

Look dangerous,
ladys-pink-comb-knife.jpg

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
This is what you get when you search comb knife. I have a feeling it was just a regular comb.
dbpk107p_6.jpg

Edit: Beaten

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Mandatory national mask mandate needs to be implemented. However, I can totally see more cases like these listed in the OP happening and probably more frequently. Maybe police officers and sheriffs can finally start earning their paycheck by posting an officer at each major mall/supermarket/Walmart/Target to 1) charge violent aggressors and 2) to act as a deterrent.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
They're so worried about losing their freedoms because a mask, hopefully they lose them for a long long time in jail.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
18 and 21 years old? Damn.

I know that the bulk of the recent covid spread has been younger people just not giving a shit, but usually I see the active aggression to mask mandates in older people.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
41I7WBV-9sL._SY355_.jpg

Could also be this. Which, mind you, is strong, stable, and sharp (for a comb). Way more popular that an actual concealed knife in a comb.
I have one.

Would easily explain the 27 stabbings.

May 21, 2018
Would rather risk prison over wearing a piece of cloth.

Are these people thinking at all?

(yes, I know the answer)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
18 and 21 years old? Damn.

I know that the bulk of the recent covid spread has been younger people just not giving a shit, but usually I see the active aggression to mask mandates in older people.
Also true in Canada and Europe. Young people who don't give a duck not wearing masks and no distancing. I see them all the time when I go for a walk at the park which happens to be near a high-school/ post secondary complex.

But acting out in violence is on an entirely different level of stupid. Lock them up. These turds need face consequences

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
41I7WBV-9sL._SY355_.jpg

Could also be this. Which, mind you, is strong, stable, and sharp (for a comb). Way more popular that an actual concealed knife in a comb.
I have one.

Would easily explain the 27 stabbings.

Jessica Hill took out a "comb knife" with a hidden blade
chicago.suntimes.com

Sisters stabbed guard 27 times after being told to wear masks at Chicago store, prosecutors allege

“It’s the complete randomness of this. It’s terrifying,” a Cook County judge said while denying the sisters bail.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
If that happens, I assume we'll get a lot more people like this popping up, some with guns instead of knives.

Yeah I know, but the other option is to do nothing, which will inevitable lead to even more people dying of COVID-19 than these isolated incidents. There's no easy fix to this since the issue of facemasks has been politicized by our dipshit president.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to do this shit but calling two Black women animals ain't the wave...

just saying.
I get what you are saying.

But stabbing someone 27 times through the neck and elseware over a godamn mask makes anyone an animal. dont care who you are, what your ethnic background is, or anything. That makes you an animal in my eye for overreacting and trying to MURDER someone who is just enforcing policy.

Dec 31, 2017
This is just extremism. Point blank. If you can't be arsed to put on a fucking little mask then get the fuck back to your house and stay there.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Think of the logic..

"They're not going to take my freedoms away by making me wear a mask."

So you commit a crime that will assuredly take your freedom away.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fucking animals. godamn.
Not exactly small women either
chicago.suntimes.com

Sisters stabbed guard 27 times after being told to wear masks at Chicago store, prosecutors allege

“It’s the complete randomness of this. It’s terrifying,” a Cook County judge said while denying the sisters bail.
Let's not do this people. The racial undertones in these posts about two black women...come on.

This is pretty scary though, working in retail this is why they tell us not to try and enforce the mask mandate. Shouldn't have to be that way, but people have been doing crazy shit.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Let's not do this people. The racial undertones in these posts about two black women...come on.

This is pretty scary though, working in retail this is why they tell us not to try and enforce the mask mandate. Shouldn't have to be that way, but people have been doing crazy shit.

Ah this makes sense why my co-worker, who never posts about say.. assassination attempts, running protestors over, proud boys stuff..but isn't realy into "politics" ya know?

Made this a priority to link me to today. Must be all over breitbart.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Attempted murder eh? Not bad. Should do that for everyone that refuses to wear a mask.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Just 👏
Wear 👏
The 👏
Mask 👏

it's not hard.

Between this and the story out of London yesterday with the NHS worker getting beat up and thrown off a train and now this.

For fucks sake, what is wrong with some people???

Just wear the mask. Pretend to be a ninja... without the stabbing.... it's fun. I promise.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Absolutely disgusting. Now imagine what happens when shit REALLY goes sideways. I mean a fundamental breakdown in basic goods and services - People tearing each other apart over masks.

Told my wife she see someone not wearing a mask and it makes her uncomfortable to just leave. Don't say shit. Folks can be lunatics.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Ruin your entire lives and almost kill a man just because you're asked to wear a mask.

I should be shocked, but I'm sadly not.

DeadlySMyles

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
User banned (permanent): troll account
Had these two beautiful black queens not faced racial injustice their entire lives this wouldn't have happened. Some people can only stand so much.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Saw this on Ars earlier today. I know there's been a lot of these stories over the last few months but this one rattled me a bit. There's something fundamentally wrong with our society.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Mandatory national mask mandate needs to be implemented. However, I can totally see more cases like these listed in the OP happening and probably more frequently. Maybe police officers and sheriffs can finally start earning their paycheck by posting an officer at each major mall/supermarket/Walmart/Target to 1) charge violent aggressors and 2) to act as a deterrent.
Sheriffs/police can't even be arsed to enforce state/local mandates. A federal mandate will almost certainly mean that Biden won, in which case I can't see police wanting to cooperate at all with anything coming from the fed.