• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Holy shit, just finished the first chapter. Really wasn't expecting this to feel so intense đŸ˜…

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Are you supposed to start a new story or use explore story option, when replaying the game? I was thinking the latter, but then it says "re-using a profile from an earlier playthrough may cause chapter badge(s) scrores to be overwritten. Do you wish to continue?".

I'm assuming I should say yes to get more of the story tree in the same playthrough?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Are you supposed to start a new story or use explore story option, when replaying the game? I was thinking the latter, but then it says "re-using a profile from an earlier playthrough may cause chapter badge(s) scrores to be overwritten. Do you wish to continue?".

I'm assuming I should say yes to get more of the story tree in the same playthrough?
Explore story i believe will let you jump to the time of the timeline to explore options rather than have some continuous plot via a save file. But i havent exactly tried it yet. Cant you Make a new profile and go from there?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this today
Really enjoyed it.
Felt very satisfied by the endings the various characters achieved. I hope going back to unlock other paths is easy.

End of game spoiler question: is there a way to figure out what the grandpa is up to?

Easy reccomend to anyone who likes narrative choice games, its a David Cage game without the David cage baggage no

The artstyle comes off so much better when actually playing and not just watching trailers and it even has more movement than I was led to believe by the trailers. Calling it a powerpoint presentation, as some people are, is missing the point completely. There's a lot of work that's gone into how to convey movement, emotion and similar. It's a very strong effort.

Technically it's a mess though, with choppy framerate, sluggish cursor and selection movement.

I agree that the art style grew on me. It's basically an fmv game without the pitfalls of fmv. The "art" is detailed and allows the characters to express emotions very well/clearly

I'd also recommend controller people to just use the dpad and not the analog sticks to avoid some of the sluggish cursor stuff. Theres also a mobile app but didn't try that

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Explore story i believe will let you jump to the time of the timeline to explore options rather than have some continuous plot via a save file. But i havent exactly tried it yet. Cant you Make a new profile and go from there?

Hmm, I could, but I kinda wanna keep the same profile. I'll do some "story exploration" and see what happens. The badges probably aren't that important :)

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Finished Chapter 4 and still really digging this. I'm definitely going to play it again and try some other choices too. I've failed a few QuickTime events so hopefully I can be successful next time, especially if one's that I failed affected the story in any way.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
The pace of this game is really good, super engaging. The way the camera moves around adds a real kinetic energy to it all.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished chapter 1, and I have to say, I'm hooked. I was initially turned off by the animation (or lack thereof), but I'm used to it now. I imagine the aesthetic choice allows for more scenes, which means more branching paths. Cool game so far.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just started this, literally a few seconds ago. Why is there so much fucking input lag in the main menu? Is the whole game like this?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's so annoying, the cursor feels terrible to use.
You get used to it. I turned off having to search around to find options bc i figured it would be annoying + im playing with friends so i wanted it to be simple.

You would think they would have nailed the cursor seeing as thats like 99% of the input

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
How family appropriate or inappropriate is this? If it were a movie, what rating would it likely have? Curious if it's something I could play with my kid(s) aged 9 and 11 (both have watched some previewed R content)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
How family appropriate or inappropriate is this? If it were a movie, what rating would it likely have? Curious if it's something I could play with my kid(s) aged 9 and 11 (both have watched some previewed R content)
R rated because of the profanity. Outside of that its mainly pg 13, but there is a (skippable) scene about suicide they warn you at the start of chapter 3. I've only played three chapters though. Reviews said it's not suitable for kids.

Definitely wouldn't suggest it for them. Maybe the 11 year old but not the 9.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
R rated because of the profanity. Outside of that its mainly pg 13, but there is a (skippable) scene about suicide they warn you at the start of chapter 3. I've only played three chapters though. Reviews said it's not suitable for kids.

Definitely wouldn't suggest it for them. Maybe the 11 year old but not the 9.

Suicide alone is enough to nope out. Thank you.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't think I've played a choice-based narrative game that's really made me think hard about my decisions like this one has.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i finished book one and really enjoyed it so far! Yeah I lot of choices I had to really think about.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through and the game is genuinely fantastic. Kudos to the developer, and I hope they got paid well by MS for the Game Pass deal.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ok, finished the first chapter. It's interesting but my god how did they fuck up the input lag, seems like the most important part to consider as you'll be using the cursor and other inputs for different stuff. Missed one QTE and it definitely felt like it was the input lag that fucked me over.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
Yeah the input lag is atrocious on Xbox Series X.

Despite that, I'm enjoying it. But the input lag on main menu makes a terrible first impression. Yikes.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played through once via cloud and
died in the hotel lobby standoff.
I'm not sure I'll play through again but I may.

The input scheme on a controller is kind of dumb. Moving a cursor half the screen to choose from two options seems dumb when it could be accomplished via different button choices or just hitting up/down, etc...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Played through once via cloud and
died in the hotel lobby standoff.
I'm not sure I'll play through again but I may.

The input scheme on a controller is kind of dumb. Moving a cursor half the screen to choose from two options seems dumb when it could be accomplished via different button choices or just hitting up/down, etc...
Yeah, if selecting options were snappier and felt smooth it wouldn't even be on my mind, but it feels so clunky that, even though I'm enjoying the game, I dread controlling it and the terrible feel of selecting things is always there in my mind, which drags the experience down a bit and that sucks because there's a good game here and I hate that the lack of smooth controls is not letting me focus 100% on the game and its interesting story and choices. Hopefully they'll look into that in a future patch.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Finished first 2 chapters…
not sure about this one…
i Will play more and finish the game to have a concrete opinion.
for the moment, game has a interesting story but other Aspects didn't catch me.
Let's see…

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Really liked what I played yesterday. I'm not usually tye type to finish these types of adventure games, but this one had me quite gripped.

I actually bounced off after the first act since I was affected by my potentially very poor final choice. Will hop back into chapter 2 when I can stomach my decision, haha.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
finished chapter 3 yesterday, great story and it is a lot of fun to play the game coop.
Really impressed by the tech behind it, playing with friends is super easy.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if selecting options were snappier and felt smooth it wouldn't even be on my mind, but it feels so clunky that, even though I'm enjoying the game, I dread controlling it and the terrible feel of selecting things is always there in my mind, which drags the experience down a bit and that sucks because there's a good game here and I hate that the lack of smooth controls is not letting me focus 100% on the game and its interesting story and choices. Hopefully they'll look into that in a future patch.
What's really annoying is that it has touch controls but when I tried to play via my tablet it wouldn't launch unless I connected a controller. It's like the designers couldn't figure out how it should be controlled and found a solution that is borderline broken for all.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Really liking this so far. Just beat chapter one, so still early in.

For those playing with a controller, use the dpad. It instantly snaps to the inputs.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
For those playing with a controller, use the dpad. It instantly snaps to the inputs.
Definitely!

I don't usually gravitate towards these types of games but I played the first chapter and really liking it.
Only thing that is putting me off are the animations. I don't hate them but they can be a little distracting.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
One chapter to go.

Boy do they drop the ball hard in Book 2. Book 1 is one cohesive story with urgency and drama. Book 2 is just kind of sputtering nothing.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Art style took a few minutes to get used to but isn't nearly as awful as I found it to be in trailers. Honestly kind of dig it

Cursor not updating at your display refresh rate is a really bad decision tho. Using my phone as a controller and super sluggish

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Use the D-pad and it is accomplished like that (well, left/right in many cases).

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Played a bit more and finished chapter 1. I can already feel myself getting used to the animation style, so I don't think it's going to be an issue, but the input lag really is frustrating.

I stopped using the cursor altogether (seriously why would you even have that as an option for a console game where you have to make quick decisions!?) but even using the d-pad it feels really sluggish and slow making selections. I don't think it's bad enough to cause me to run out of time making a choice, but it just doesn't feel good to use. Really strange decision for this sort of game - assuming it's a design decision and not a technical issue.

Other than that, I'm really intrigued so far. It's surprising how quickly you fall into that "this character would do this, he wouldn't choose that" mindset with these sorts of games.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
I just finished chapter 3 and holy shit is this game intense lol. I've really liked it so far.

Indeed, very very intense. Unfortunatelly, on Steam it was a flop. What a bad news

Just finished chapter 2.

Managed to save Michelle after she was shot by sending her to the hospital. Also saved the marriage between her and Vince. Judging from the stats, not many people chose the route that I did. I also warned Dale about the sniper, because I sure as shit don't really trust the Sheriff.

I'm going to play one chapter a day until I beat the game, but I'm really digging it so far.

Imho, you did well with Dale. I know that he is a stupid boy but man, ppl should think about consequences more carefully. I won't spoil anything but I saw what happen if you choose otherwise. It was obvious but still..

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I love the art style. Each scene looks like an awesome painting. Must have taken a lot of work to do I'd imagine, though I wouldn't be surprised if the art gods working on it where able to quickly paint the scenes.
But yeah I just wanted to say it looks cool.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I love the art style. Each scene looks like an awesome painting. Must have taken a lot of work to do I'd imagine, though I wouldn't be surprised if the art gods working on it where able to quickly paint the scenes.
But yeah I just wanted to say it looks cool.
Yeah.. same here. I really appreciate the art style.