• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Why can't the play in Hawaii. Low numbers. And if everyone quarantines for two weeks they might not even need to play in a bubble

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I thought it was kinda crazy that they chose Orlando/Florida in the first place.
I understand that they were probably banking on the Disney infrastructure to save them....but it's still in Florida
and there was zero chance Florida was going to handle the pandemic in any manageable way.

I usually try to push back against the general 'LOL FLORIDA' narrative when necessary as I have lived there and also lived in many worse places,
but in this case they really had no hope of handling things in a sane and rational manner.
Maybe in that alternative reality where Gillum beat out DeSantis, but that's not our reality.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
This plus the NHL picking Vegas as a hub city makes me thing these leagues aren't going to end up coming back afterall.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
based on the link the OP posted, it seems overwhelmingly likely that they are going through with it. So we'll see how it works out I guess.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was kinda crazy that they chose Orlando/Florida in the first place.
I understand that they were probably banking on the Disney infrastructure to save them....but it's still in Florida
and there was zero chance Florida was going to handle the pandemic in any manageable way.

I usually try to push back against the general 'LOL FLORIDA' narrative when necessary as I have lived there and also lived in many worse places,
but in this case they really had no hope of handling things in a sane and rational manner.
Maybe in that alternative reality where Gillum beat out DeSantis, but that's not our reality.
Once they announced that Disney World was also opening back up the whole bubble thing was perplexing

Nov 27, 2017
California
I think they'll go to Las Vegas if that doesn't become a shit show
California would be an option but it's turning to shit too
They'll cancel next week

They seriously should've just done 16 teams(8 East + 8 west) instead of 22 teams and a 5 game first round to get 8 teams eliminated quick

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IHME is projecting 18,000 COVID deaths in FL by October 2020. A staff person or a player's family member dying will be on Silver's neck.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
NBA, MLS, NHL were all gonna be in Florida until the recent spike and now everyone is trying to make a backup plan.

NV would be a senible backup until you realize it's sandwiched with CA-AZ.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i understand it all trickles down, pro sports isn't just the players and coaches, people gotta eat

but maybe take one year off .. just maybe

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why so many people actually think the season is going to happen. Why are so many people in denial about the seriousness of this pandemic? Just like people who thought reopening early wouldn't be a big deal...I'm not sure how the evidence isn't clear to people.

Nov 2, 2017
Keep in mind, the planning for the NBA to come back was BEFORE the stories about the rapid climbing in infections in florida started.

Like RIGHT after they announced keeping players quarantined on a campus in Orlando to restart the season, stuff started coming out about FL messing with the results of tests and classifying deaths as pneumonia etc. From there it took off like a rocket.

Knowing now what we know about how badly floridas leadership has taken a head first dive into fucking this up, I dont think they would have even considered FL.

They didn't have the full data, but it's enough for anyone with a little sense to realize exactly this was going to happen.

There's a reason states like Florida and Arizona that have been allowing pro sports operations also happened to have a bunch of other ill-considered policies that caused a giant spike in covid cases. The fact that they were saying "hey, sports will be fine here" was an indicator that they weren't taking things seriously and were sitting on a ticking time bomb.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why so many people actually think the season is going to happen. Why are so many people in denial about the seriousness of this pandemic? Just like people who thought reopening early wouldn't be a big deal...I'm not sure how the evidence isn't clear to people.

there's a shit load of money at stake and that usually means shit happens even if they shouldn't.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I still think the Disney bubble will be safer than pretty much anywhere else in America unless the players were literally never leaving the house. Rules will be inforced inside Disney. They aren't anywhere else.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i mean in theory it wouldn't matter how many cases florida has if they pulled off the bubble concept with everyone getting tested before entering. then they announced that employees can leave the bubble and disney would reopen at the same time it was all over anyway.

Nov 2, 2017
Why would New Zealand let Americans in when that country is the epicenter of the disease?

This gets to the core of the problem.

Any place that's going to let you run a pro sports league right now is a place that's likely to be a hot spot because they're not taking the pandemic seriously.
The places where it'd be least irresponsible to run a pro sports league right now are places where the locals would probably tell you to fuck off, because the positive conditions were obtained by having the will to do things like not sign off on pro sports.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Uhh, I think y'all might have missed this earlier in the thread.

Sure, but strict rules regarding employees social distancing, not being in rooms with players, wearing masks, etc will be strictly enforced. Things that aren't being enforced to any real effect anywhere else. The players are still likely to be safer than anywhere else outside of locking themselves in their houses and not coming out, especially when the players will be tested daily, so any cases should be caught relatively quickly, making the likelihood of a big spread through the group unlikely. I'd rather do it in a lot of other places, but I still think on the whole the players will be relatively safe and I still expect that they will start in late July as planned with the vast majority of players choosing to play.

Oct 30, 2017
it's not as simple as "take a year off" ā€” it's about finishing a season that was almost done and getting through the playoffs so everyone involved can get paid, contracts can be honoured, the league doesn't get financially fucked for the next few years with salary cap implications etc. it's fine for players with $100m+ in career earnings to want to peace out but i don't think the majority feels that way.

i dunno if disney world is the best idea, and given current circumstances they should really rethink the whole "let people outside the bubble" thing, but they should absolutely do everything they can to find a way to finish the season imo.

(and not just because i want to see my raps expose the bucks as frauds again)

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but strict rules regarding employees social distancing, not being in rooms with players, wearing masks, etc will be strictly enforced. Things that aren't being enforced to any real effect anywhere else. The players are still likely to be safer than anywhere else outside of locking themselves in their houses and not coming out, especially when the players will be tested daily, so any cases should be caught relatively quickly, making the likelihood of a big spread through the group unlikely. I'd rather do it in a lot of other places, but I still think on the whole the players will be relatively safe and I still expect that they will start in late July as planned with the vast majority of players choosing to play.
You obviously have a lot more faith in the system than I do, but I don't see how this "bubble city" concept works when you're still letting a large group of people come and go through that "bubble" without having to actually be tested. Obviously they can't keep everyone on their payroll in this "bubble city" like they can the players and NBA staff, but that just continues to highlight how ridiculous this whole thing is, and why they should just cut their losses rather than risk the health of players, staff, and Disney employees in the name of salvaging whatever money is left to be made from this season.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
NBA and the NFL shouldn't come back until at least after the election. The fewer entertainment and distractions for the masses, the more focused they remain on serious matters.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Rather than trying to figure out a way to navigate the injection of sports back into our lives, we should just shut them all down until we can sort out the main issues.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
NBA and the NFL shouldn't come back until at least after the election. The fewer entertainment and distractions for the masses, the more focused they remain on serious matters.

That's not how this works, you're just going to make them more depressed and miserable by taking away one of the few things people have to look forward to.

The players are safer under these leagues protocols than they are unsupervised and partying. The reason we're seeing half the LSU players testing positive is because they're partying, and the only thing the NBA players are hesitant about is the inability to party for 3 months, they've said almost nothing about the actual COVID risk.

Oct 27, 2017
Neither will the players as it will impact the revenue pool. Yes the owners need the money but so do the players. Plus it is unclear whether the Force Majeure clause applies which could result in players losing a bit over 1% of their salaries for each game not played (roughly 18.4%).
I was being sarcastic lol, it's never enough for rich people.

Oct 25, 2017
Well the Raptors are starting to head down to Florida for training camp now since they can't train in Toronto without quarantining, hope they are all safe

Oct 30, 2017
let's go raptors.

i think this is basically an existential crisis for the NBA and a ton of people (not just players/owners) will be dramatically hit if it doesn't work out, so i'm really hoping everyone takes it seriously and they manage to pull it off.