• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I just got diagnosed about a month ago as well. My girlfriend was diagnosed as a kid and I've noticed so many similar things that we do that I finally asked my doctor about it. Also leaning more inattentive. My doctor increased my Wellbutrin and I honestly haven't noticed any real change for the better.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! I hope to get diagnosed soon as well. It never occurred to me that I might have ADHD despite struggling with very basic things all my life. My sister has it, but the hyperactive one, so that's also why I never thought I could have ADHD as well because for me it's much more internalized.

Wasn't until I got on TikTok and kept getting fed all these videos about ADHD that were so relatable that I realized there's a high chance I have it too. Did a couple of online tests and I score like 77/92 on a ADHD for girls test.

Feels weird to self-diagnosis through Tiktok and at first I shrugged it off ("these things are common for everyone right", "everyone is a little adhd!") but yeah, no, I've decided to get a doctor's appointment to rule it out. Ironically it's been really difficult to get myself to call for an appointment due to those ADHD symptoms. I mean I've been putting off a dentist check for 3 years now!

Biggest indicator for me is the getting "stuck" thing where I'm feeling bored and don't do anything but can also not get myself to do anything. I also have a difficult time prioritizing and delay things until the very last moment, then not do it anyway and get myself into trouble (replying to texts to paying bills to filing my taxes in time). Oh and I have 100 passion projects that I started impulsively and bought 100 euros of supplies for and then just dropped them after one or two days of hyperfocus. Or don't start them at all because by the time supplies have been delivered I'm over it already (I made an entire knitting corner in my house with a trolley full of supplies and never knitted a thing in my life :D)

Yeah I should really make that call.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Welcome to the club. I remember reading about it as a kid and thinking I had it but my parents were pretty dismissive and then I was tested and diagnosed as an adult. Also, the closest movie I can think of that feels like a character with ADHD is Memento. It's like I can have a great memory when it comes to reaching back to things when I was a child or what have you but day to day I forget what I'm doing constantly and I also have a very hard time often times remembering the names of the simplest things, it's like they are locked away in my head.

Jay-T

Oct 28, 2017
100% sure I have it. Never got officially diagnosed but my kids have it and their behavior is the same as mine.

School was somewhat hard for me because I would always get distracted during classes, but I always got good grades so it was never a big issue for me until I started working and then found it hard to learn new things outside of my work. Also I'm either easily distracted or super focused, like I cannot stop doing something once I'm really into it (which helped quite a lot in life but it's still scary)

I'm still afraid to take any meds for it though.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've thought I might have this but I'm not really sure. I know I have anxiety/panic disorder/OCD

I procrastinate a lot and get easily distracted (mostly with the internet) and am forgetful

But I don't daydream, never had trouble in school, can follow conversations, don't have the "can focus for hours on something I like" thing people talk about, and have had no therapist ever bring it up.

I just feel its just technology and me wanting to do everything that causes me to procrastinate (its not that I feel the task is overwhelming more so than I just have so many things I want to do I push off lots of things until its too late, more about prioritization).

But congrats on finally knowing OP, must feel good.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
I got my diagnosis 5 years ago when I was 21 and it has only changed my life for the better. I highly recommend anyone who is even a little bit suspicious they might have it to just go for it. Even if you don't have ADHD you will find out and probably get help for the shit that fucks up your daily life anyway.

One of the biggest things I got to experience after my diagnosis was the Pegasus program. It was like a group therapy thing with other adults who recently got diagnosed with ADHD where we got to learn about our brains and share experiences with each other. I was the youngest person there and it blew my mind to see adults with kids and thriving careers who also had ADHD.

I'm pretty convinced my dad has ADHD, since it can be somewhat hereditary (or at least it's very common to have more than one diagnosis in a family) and most of the behaviors I used to think were inherited from him are actually just ADHD symptoms. He is very resistant to the idea though. Understandably so, honestly. He's in his 60s and still has a very negative view of most diagnoses.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Im combined type, also had a recent adult diagnosis. Currently off the tablets while waiting for a shared agreement with the NHS after going private initially.

The difference is fucking staggering. I struggle to keep to a schedule and am often late without the medication, have terrible impulse control, always forget things, and when stuff gets untidy/disorganised it's I get hugely anxious don't know where to start. I can totally zone out and waste loads of time too, and am terrible at staying focused if there's been a setback at work in my personal life.

I'm hugely grateful to my gf for spotting it, it partly meant I didn't do as well as I could at school or my early adult life, but hopefully means I can live the last two thirds of my life to a higher potential.

I was wary of the process of diagnosis at the start, it seemed a little too "simple" for me. But after seeing the difference the medication had for me I would recommend anyone to try if they suspect it, even with only a slight inkling.

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I was finally referred for an assessment but I'm on a year long waiting list :/

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
That's good that you are diagnosed given that you have it, medications will improve your life immensely.

But it isn't a cure all. The medications that work are uppers so you'll need to figure out the best ones for you and the dosage and release method. Personally methylphenidate works best for me and I ended up with concerta in morning (10 hour release, peaks at 2pm if taken around 730 am) and then Ritalin IR at 3 pm and 6pm. Without the IRs I crash around 5 with a few hours or mental rebound followed by ADD. Generally not a good time of day for that to happen. The IRs push that out to 8-9.

Acidic liquid interferes at time of dosage so even la croix is a no.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to the club. Hyper focus can be a mind blowing superpower if you're also a fast learner.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Welcome to the club. Hyper focus can be a mind blowing superpower if you're also a fast learner.
Hyper focus seldom helped me out in school or on the job, as most of the stuff I'm interested in wasn't taught in school or used on the job.

Mostly, it's been inattentiveness and all the other wonderful obstacles that come with being untreated ADHD that defined my academic and working careers, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty convinced my dad has ADHD, since it can be somewhat hereditary (or at least it's very common to have more than one diagnosis in a family) and most of the behaviors I used to think were inherited from him are actually just ADHD symptoms. He is very resistant to the idea though. Understandably so, honestly. He's in his 60s and still has a very negative view of most diagnoses.
Oh yeah, it definitely runs in families. My niece has ADHD, my mom can think of 3 or 4 people in her own family who had the symptoms (including her father). I suspect my dad has had ADHD, but sorta covers it up by heavily smoking (nicotine, as a stimulant, can help the ADHD mind focus, similar to my caffeine). I guess if one person in a family has ADHD, there's a 30% chance one of their parents has it too. That's how a lot of adults get diagnosed - one of their kids does, and they think, "Hmm, she takes after me..."

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
I really want to see if I have it too, is extremely jarring to read people talk about ADHD and see a lot of me in it, I guess there's a bit of s fear that it isn't and that I'm just lazy or there's something wrong with me

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing your story OP. Wife recently helped me go actually get tested and I was diagnosed as well. I am on medication now, and it has completely changed my life for the better. I just wish I had the resources as a young adult to get help sooner, but now I'm just happy that I can manage it better.

OP
OP
Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out I was a pretty classic case of ADD in school, though it wasn't caught. When I was in grade school, I was doing very well academically. I was in the Gifted program, all A's and B's, etc. I had two teachers recommend me for Advanced Placement in high school (AP English, Math) But as school went along, my homework started to go bad - I would forget to do it, lose the homework or forget to turn it in, or just plain not do it. Or procrastinate and do it in the last minute, which sometimes worked out, often did not. My excuse at the time was "I don't believe in homework, they should give us time to do it in class; most people don't do their jobs at home" (haha). Maybe if instead of giving excuses I just let myself be seen struggling with it, my ADHD would have been caught. But then, at the time I also believed I was being lazy - I didn't like homework, it was boring and a lot of work, so I wasn't doing it.

Procrastination is a common symptom of ADHD, because it actually helps a person focus on their work. The "Fight or Flight" response kicks in with the approaching time limit, which floods the brain with stimulants, enabling focus or hyper-focus. Thus the student who waits until the last minute to write an essay, then stays up all night doing it.

I went from all A's and B's to graduating with a 2.3 GPA (a C+ at best). AP English at my school was "Speech & Debate", and while I really liked the debates themselves, I *hated* having to have every argument researched in advance with the sources written down (which...I now know is very important, and love researching things). I just couldn't make myself do the boring research in the library. In the end I ended up skipping most of that class, hanging out in the computer lab instead (which was far more engaging to my brain). And I really liked Math, I did quite well until Algebra 2 - that textbook was basically repeating Algebra 1 exactly, but with one new concept every chapter (and again, I hated all the writing involved in showing my work). I found it so boring, I basically tuned out and stopped taking Math. Which I'm disappointed in, Math turned out to be very important in my career, and it's harder for me to learn that stuff at this age.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022
Nice. Hope the diagnosis helps you with things.

I most likely have autism but it doesn't really seem worth getting a diagnosis for at this stage.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Happy to hear you were diagnosed OP. It was life changing for me last year (39 yo) to get diagnosed. Because I had already given antidepressants a try at the start of the pandemic, I was receptive to meds and I immediately started 10mg dexmethylphenidate ER. It is difficult to fully express how different a day is on and off medication. At first I wasn't as disciplined and would take it at lunch instead of breakfast or not at all on weekends. Once I got to taking it everyday, first thing in the morning, it was a real awakening. That happiness was followed by some pretty intense retroactive mourning about my childhood and academic struggles all the way through college. So many of the struggles my mom and I had were down to her having no understanding of my inability to be just like my older brother no matter how hard I tried. I was just the lazy fuck up, underachiever.

ADHD helped clarify so many things in my life. All the struggles. Obesity, impulsive behaviors, substance abuse, inability to ever finish out projects/task. Zero dopamine triggered for exercise or completing work/jobs/assignments. I have to accept that I didn't get the different life I could have had, had I been diagnosed as a kid, but I'm trying to use it as motivation going forward.

ADD was such a stigma when I was growing up. It was just portrayed as doctors throwing drugs and hyper kids. I was so oblivious to ADHD because if the misinformation drilled into me as a kid. I started therapy right before the pandemic for depression. After some onboarding tests and our first session, my then new therapist was very quick to identify ADHD as a likely culprit. Then Covid hit and the massive anxiety and depression took front seat so I focused on that and then it wasn't till another year+ that it became clear again that this wasn't really depression and was ADHD controlling the show.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of stuff I read about ADHD sounds very similar to my own experiences. I'm 38 now, but so far undiagnosed. I finally went to see a psychiatrist last year after I couldn't cope with the work stress anymore. He diagnosed a mild depression and gave me a low dosage of escitalopram which seemed to help with not getting overwhelmed by my own thoughts and focussing more and it generally seemed to improve my mood, but I feel like it didn't really treat the underlying problem. I still procrastinated just as much, I just didn't feel as bad about it as I did previously, beating myself up less afterwards. It made me less concerned about what other people think.

My psychiatrist mostly focussed on reasons in my life for not feeling happy, relationships, family, sexuality etc., but I don't think my problem is with the people around me. It also kinda irked me that he suggested that I'm uncomfortable with my sexuality because I don't dress "gay" enough... I'm bisexual and a metalhead, so I don't really dress colorful, but I don't think someone's sexuality has anything to do with how you dress, that's just a huge stereotype...

I generally like my job and especially the people I work with and I do good work if the task is interesting, but I get stressed out a lot about deadlines and I get easily distracted if something comes up that I feel like it needs my immediate attention.

I'm thinking about looking for a different psychiatrist that has experience with ADHD but it's been a huge pain to find the one I have now already...

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
Thanks to reading this thread last week i finally made an appointment(kept forgetting) to be diagnosed. I'm 42 and all my life i've been ashamed of many of the traits associated with this disorder, i had no idea this could potentially be treated. I procrastinate A LOT, always leaving things for last, i never remember to make important calls or basic stuff, even stuff i know i have to do in like 10 minutes from now, i just forget. My family is tired of me forgetting to do stuff they ask me to. I get bored of things, places, situations and routine pretty easily. I had a really hard time with math during college(i'm an architect) , i remember trying really hard, sitting at the front of the class, participating a lot but when it came to the tests, i failed miserably, i just couldn't remember shit, many teachers used to tell me i was very good at designing and analizing projects but i never worked as hard as i should. I have coasted most of my life by doing just enough and just in time.
I work as a service provider (photographer/videographer) and everytime i meet a new client and i'm introduced to someone, i forget their names like seconds after the fact, i just can't remember the small stuff. Like it is impossible for me to describe a face even for people i've known before or seen several times, mind just wonders. Of course i have a hard time organizing and following through on projects, i keep having these awesome ideas for projects and stuff to do for my bussines but i never do any of them. I already failed my marriage of 16 years because i was just too bored of everything.

I really hope there's a reason for being like that and it doesn't turn out i'm just a lazy ass cause i could really use some help right now.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just got diagnosed at 47. I've known I've had an issue for years but it got so bad I couldn't deal anymore. Unfortunately the process to get medicated has been horrible.

THey made me start on Atomoxetine for a month and a half which did nothing. THey don't seem to want to prescribe Adderall so then they put me on Ritalin which helped a little but the dose needed to be increased. A month later my insurance hasn't approved it and I've been on the phone like 10 times with my doc and insurance and it is just a nightmare.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i was diagnosed with adhd as a teen and my parents never really did anything about it

im not very happy with how I think, generally

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I was just diagnosed a few months ago as well, I've been working with my psychiatrist to get me on the right medication dosage and one interesting side effect is I've barely taken my anxiety medication since starting ADHD meds. I feel like even when I'm anxious it's not nearly as hard to manage as it was, even when I was regularly taking anxiety meds.

When I came to my therapist and psychiatrist 6 years ago, I was insanely depressed and anxious, living at home and unable to keep a job. ADHD never really crossed any of our minds since I was tested at 13 and told I didn't have it. It wasn't until my life began to get better and my mental state wasn't improving accordingly that it crossed my mind, and when I brought it up to my therapist he helped me find someone in their office who administered screenings. I even brought him my old diagnosis and he said that everything was done right at the time, it's just that evaluation methods have progressed a lot in 15 years.

The last 2 months I've been gradually increasing in dosage under supervision of my psychiatrist and I'm finally starting to feel some differences. It's not night and day but I assume that's because I'm just now at the low end of a typical adult dosage.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I might have it to some degree.

I've never had trouble at school/university. It was easy enough that I never had to study too hard to get good grades. (Chemical Engineering)

But I have hiper focus and literally cannot hear others talking to me if I'm focused on something.

I dunno, maybe some sort of autism instead. Since my life is fine, I don't really feel like getting tested for either.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I suspect I could have ADHD. I have my first mental health appointment ever in a couple weeks. I finally have the right combination of insurance covering it and the motivation/time to make the appointment.

For me it's not totally clear cut. I have always been a bit disorganized, put things off to the last minute, trouble focusing, etc. I can end up spending like an hour trying to find the correct background listening material for a task that I really really need to get going on now. But when people talk about hyper focus or cutting people off in sentences or not being able to stop talking... none of that is me. It's more just feeling paralyzed for no good reason a lot of the time, like I know there are dozens of things to do but I can only do the most urgent thing in front of me and even that takes a lot of effort.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know I have face blindness & I'm probably ADHD & high-functioning autistic, but I've never gotten tested. I know who I am, and I have no intention of taking medication, so I don't see the point.

OP
OP
Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Another real example of adhd in my life before diagnosis: last summer I decided to rip all my Blu-rays and put them on a server for streaming. I got a good start on it and really liked the results, my own Netflix with only my favorite movies! But after I got about halfway done ripping them, I just stopped. I was very confused why I couldn't make myself finish, I mean, it was such a brainless task!
Actual chat with my friends about it: "Though I've still been slacking off, I've only ripped like half of my collection. I'm not sure why, since I've been just ripping the movies straight, without recompression or anything, I have no excuse for slacking off. The entire pipeline is, run MakeMKV, put a disc in the drive, click the movie when it shows up, get the IMDB name/year, create a folder with that, and then tell it to rip. Wait roughly 30 minutes and repeat. "

Eventually I got quite frustrated, I would sit by the drive and I couldn't make myself put the next disc in the drive no matter what. For me, this is the sorta thing that makes it a "disorder", if my brain doesn't have enough stimulation, I won't be able to motivate myself to do something, no matter how passionate I am about the project, and "trying harder" just makes me more and more frustrated. In those moments, it's literally impossible for me to do the thing. I'm glad I now know *why*,yet another mystery solved by this diagnosis.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
My siblings kinda regrouped a bit after our mother passed. Talking to both my sisters, they both told me about how being diagnosed with ADHD as adults made them realize a whole bunch of shit that was getting in the way of their lives, only for me to realize I was having the same problems.

Getting diagnosed is one of those things that explains so fucking much about the ways your life has been way more difficult than it ever needed to be.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to reading this thread last week i finally made an appointment(kept forgetting) to be diagnosed. I'm 42 and all my life i've been ashamed of many of the traits associated with this disorder, i had no idea this could potentially be treated. I procrastinate A LOT, always leaving things for last, i never remember to make important calls or basic stuff, even stuff i know i have to do in like 10 minutes from now, i just forget. My family is tired of me forgetting to do stuff they ask me to. I get bored of things, places, situations and routine pretty easily. I had a really hard time with math during college(i'm an architect) , i remember trying really hard, sitting at the front of the class, participating a lot but when it came to the tests, i failed miserably, i just couldn't remember shit, many teachers used to tell me i was very good at designing and analizing projects but i never worked as hard as i should. I have coasted most of my life by doing just enough and just in time.
I work as a service provider (photographer/videographer) and everytime i meet a new client and i'm introduced to someone, i forget their names like seconds after the fact, i just can't remember the small stuff. Like it is impossible for me to describe a face even for people i've known before or seen several times, mind just wonders. Of course i have a hard time organizing and following through on projects, i keep having these awesome ideas for projects and stuff to do for my bussines but i never do any of them. I already failed my marriage of 16 years because i was just too bored of everything.

I really hope there's a reason for being like that and it doesn't turn out i'm just a lazy ass cause i could really use some help right now.
Good job taking that first step to get diagnosed! Ironically that first phone call can be really difficult to make if you have ADHD symptoms so I feel you. I did the same last week and even though I have to wait 15 weeks for the actual diagnosis, it's like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders.

I share your anxiety that it turns out there's nothing wrong with me and I'm just making excuses for being lazy. But reading through this thread, doing self tests, and watching videos about it… I can't imagine I don't have it. And reading your post, I think you don't have to worry about that either.

What I've been doing is write down every instance I can remember (if it was in the past) or experience now that I think could be related to ADHD. If you're like me then it's really hard to come up with concrete examples of certain behaviour when asked about it on the spot, so writing it all down helped me a lot when I talked to my doctor. Good luck!

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I had wondered the same thing too - my grandfather had Dementia, and my forgetfulness seemed like it could be an early sign.

One of the big symptoms of ADD is a poor working memory - you can only keep a few bits of data in your head at a time while working with it, and any distraction can fill one of the slots, kicking out whatever's in there. So when meeting a new person, I forget their name almost instantly. Or if I set something down, I have a very good chance of losing it. Also makes me terrible at navigation - I can't keep the directions in my mind as I follow them, nor the image of the map (in my case, the test said my visual working memory was VERY below average)

This sounds like me, I have wondered this for years honestly, when I was a kid my parents kept me so busy with things to do I never had a moment to stop and think. I was never able to study for a single exam because I can't concentrate on the task at hand without my mind wandering. I told everyone I studied but really I never have, and somehow I got a degree from University....

When I became an adult and moved out of home, I found it really difficult to do normal things, even just paying attention to a movie for 90 minutes is a struggle. I can never stick to playing a video game because I am always thinking about another game, that cycle repeats constantly. I can forget things that people told me literally a few seconds ago if I am doing anything else, I see people talk about watching tv shows and movies while gaming and I find something like that completely impossible.

I am now almost 40 and have ended up working in IT support which is a job I really enjoy because I get assigned lots of small tasks every day, as soon as I try to tackle some sort of longer project it just falls to pieces, I have tried to learn to code dozens of times and once I get to a certain point my mind just wanders and I can't focus no matter how much I try.\

What's been the result of getting diagnosed? I'd love to go to the doctor and ask about it but really feel stupid bringing this all up now when I am 39, they will surely ask me why I have not bothered to mention it any time in the last 39 years....

OP
OP
Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What's been the result of getting diagnosed? I'd love to go to the doctor and ask about it but really feel stupid bringing this all up now when I am 39, they will surely ask me why I have not bothered to mention it any time in the last 39 years....
For me it was mostly peace of mind - validation of my suspicions, explanation for my behavior and thoughts, and the knowledge that it really was ADHD and not something else (turns out there are a lot of things that can cause ADHD-like-symptoms, such as Autism or Depression, though I knew it wasn't Depression). That and knowing about it helped me notice when my brain was doing these things, so I can try to counter them and come up with my own solutions, as well as watching All of the YouTube Videos about ADHD strategies. Just figuring out that for me, I can do chores and things my brain doesn't want to do if I'm watching a movie I like has been a huge help (I realized I've been doing that for years, I just didn't know why I was doing it - I've always liked to have a movie playing in the background while programming, and it made it easier to fold laundry or break down boxes for the garbage if I started up a movie first). My brain just doesn't want to be bored, it doesn't care if what I'm actually doing is boring if there's something else around to give it stimulation! This is going to be a big help next time I'm in a relationship, I can actually do my share of the chores! And I can talk to my partner about it, so if they catch me not paying attention to them, they can give me a fidget toy to help me focus :)

It's things like chores that makes ADHD hard to explain to people. "Nobody likes to do chores! Maybe you're just lazy." The difference is, other people can force themselves to do chores and things they don't like through sheer willpower, but for someone with ADHD, you often can't. It's literally impossible to make myself do something if my brain has decided it doesn't want to.

I haven't started on medication, coaching, or therapy yet or anything. I told my manager at work I have ADHD, but not for accomodations, just because I now have an explanation for why I've been doing the things in ways he doesn't like, and I can talk to him about strategies for fixing them (and tell him his attempts to force me to do things a different way to try and fix the problem have been counterproductive). It took like 40 years for ADHD to actually start affecting my job in a noticeable way, but damn has it made the last couple years frustrating for both me and my manager. Maybe I would have gone in for testing sooner if this came up in the past - my manager actually said a very stereotypical thing that teachers are known to tell their ADHD students: "You have so much potential, why are you messing up so much??"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How did you find out OP? I'm 36 and feel like I have ADHd
Basically that first video I posted. I knew something was different about me, I thought "maybe I have autism", so once in a while I would watch a video about "how to tell if you are autistic", eventually the YouTube algorithm slipped that HowToADHD video into my list, it made so much sense I started watching more videos from that channel, I realized I had been doing a lot of those strategies on that channel for dealing with it for years, so I decided to get a mental evaluation by a a psychiatrist with a lot of experience in ADHD. And they did a lot more than just ask questions like "are you distracted all the time?", they gave me a full battery of computerized tests testing different aspects of my executive functions including working memory (with some tests I realize now were testing for autism symptoms)

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
Gotten some info about ADHD weeks ago, don't know where, might have been Era. Thought about it a lot, had some talk with other people in my environment, they thought it might be ADHD.

So last week I called to set up an appointment, going in tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.
Anxiety and depression are also in my system.

Hoping to find out what is the cause, honestly might ask to go back on antidepressants.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Like autism, there are so many adults who go their entire life without knowing they have it :(

That is because resources for adults is hard to come by. It is written for non ADHD parents to follow.

I've tried seeking out diagnoses multiple time, but have given up because it is so hard to find resources for adults. With my mine, I get easily frustrated and just give up.

Following this thread because it might give men new insights.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I was diagnosed at 34. What's funny is my mom told my pediatrician that I seemed way to jittery/jumpy and can't stay still as a child and he just said oh its just a phase. My entire 20s was just train wreck after train wreck, and man it would have been nice to know back then that I wasn't just an idiot. I guess in defense of the docot, it just wasn't taken as seriously as it is today, but man I'll never forget the relief of finally figuring out I had adhd and I wasn't just crazy.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Just wanted to say this thread was very helpful for me. I went to my doctor today to finally address what I knew to be true and to his credit he got me a prescription right away. I don't know if I have a foal diagnosis but it's a start.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
I was diagnosed a couple years ago. Medication has helped tremendously. Being able to focus, pump the breaks on my thoughts and actually get things accomplished rather than being so overwhelmed with everything that I do nothing.

Dec 30, 2020
Oh it's great to be, in that fraternity, the brotherhood of A-D-H-D!

Had it all my life as well, although unfairly it was recognized and diagnosed by some of the most painfully boring people imaginable. Had a teacher convinced I was ADHD and she talked like a Mystic from The Dark Crystal. "Look. At. Hiiim. Sit. Ing. There. Just. Squirm. Ing. Clearly. He. Has. .... .... .... A. Problem."

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Damn good timing I was going to book an appointment to see if I have ADHD, Inattentive primarily.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
Was diagnosed in my 30's, in hindsight it made a lot of behaviour throughout my life make sense. Still on and off medications, that's been a bit of a bother.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I figure this is close enough to an Adult ADHD Diagnosis |OT|: I'm 39 years old and just got my diagnosis yesterday afternoon, after a long process. (I started this particular assessment last August, and attempted to get diagnosed five years ago, but was brushed off by a terrible doctor partway through the process.) It feels so vindicating after suspecting it for years, and finally explains a lot of the problems I've had throughout my life (especially with school and work). Maybe soon I'll actually be able to finish a project? Maybe meetings at work won't make my brain feel like it's trying to desperately escape my head? Time will tell!

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got diagnosed back in July and started taking Adderall shortly thereafter. It's been a goddamn life changer for me. It's NOT cure, nor does it makes me a test/essay wizard like so many dumb college kids assume. It just helps me concentrate enough to actually do shit for the first time.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
I've set my first appointment next week with my GP to get the process started. I'm just so tired of feeling this way

How does the diagnosis work? Are there tests or something like that?

From what I've been reading, it's a long process of multiple tests and costs a few grand to do. You get your GP to refer you to a specialized clinic, and there they go through medical tests, psychological tests, then specific ADHD/attention tests. Everything gets discussed amongst the doctors, then the give a diagnosis.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get an assessment for this as well. You just talk to your GP to get it started?