• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

This situation bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,047 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 2,007 65.7%

• Total voters

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
considering the past year has seen a consistent amount of sick ass games (exclusive or not) releasing for every major gaming platform i can think of, unless you're suffering from anhedonia i can't imagine why anyone with a console, phone, or PC would be bothered enough to not just continue enjoying playing video games.

Oct 7, 2021
This thread is a total 180 from what Sony fans where saying all the way up to the PS5 launch basically isn't it?

Personally it bothered me enough to sell it (to my brother for market price, don't attack me). Sure, I was future proofed, my ps4 library was on there, but really I still have a ps4 pro and have really lost nothing massive given I still game on a 1080p tv whereas my brother has a 4k, was kind of a pointless purchase and for me personally waiting for the inevitable ps5 pro which will probably release not too far after actual large exclusives start to launch, I mean ps4 to ps4 pro was only 3 years. Maybe the tech was more dated on the base ps4 then it is on a ps5 but even then, gonna get hardware revisions, a potential price drop, etc. Think I made the right call. Got to play returnal and then passed it on

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
PS5 not having anything that I want to play until 2023 is actually good for me because it justifies not buying one yet lol. Not in a rush at all. And by 2023 I'm expecting the Slim revision to be out already so all the merrier.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
The killer app on the PS5 is upgraded PS4 games. That will continue until 2023.

GoW, Horizon, etc have all been neutered so people can play them on old hardware.

This sucks, plain and simple.

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
I never bought a PS4, so the PS5 has been amazing for catching up with those games, especially at higher resolution/framerate.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I never bought a PS4, so the PS5 has been amazing for catching up with those games, especially at higher resolution/framerate.
I'm in a similar situation with Xbox and Game Pass. Skipped most of the Xbox One generation. Got an Xbox with the subscription and now I can catch up on tons of games often at better resolution and frame rate.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Returnal is both one of the best games to come out this year, if not the best and AAA, so... no? The only things that compete with it IMO are Echoes of the Eye or Wrath of the Righteous.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm getting PLENTY of PS5 games that I really like and enjoy and I'm struggling now ( for there first time in many many years ) to have the time for them all lol.

So no.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Not a PS5 owner so I didn't vote. I don't see why it would be upsetting. My old RX580 can still play the games my RX6800 can, hardware doesn't need locked-down exclusive software to be worth it.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
If I were to arbitrarily put games behind custom made categories, I can see how people would say ps5 only has one AAA game since launch. But since I actually just play games, I can't say I agree.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Considering Xbox is in the exact same situation, it's hardly a big problem for PS5.

No matter if games are exclusive, cross gen or multiplatform, good games are good games, and most run much better on the new consoles, so it really isn't an issue.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on the gamingleaks sub-Reddit and Coming back to this thread is always a hoot lol Of all the games I played this year, that small game Returnal is still on top for me. Not to mention I had an absolute blast with that PS3 game too. I feel so cheated.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I had a feeling there wouldn't be many releases with the pandemic, I like all the other features the ps5 provides, the 4K blu ray player is nice.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It is what it is. not worth complaining about.

pandemic and Sony requires ps4 support for too long I guess

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm sure they've still got a few unannounced games releasing in 22/23 and I can play the crossgen games at 60 FPS. Not bothered at all.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally not bothered by it, only because I have such a huge backlog of Ps4 games that I still hadn't finished on Ps4 that I'm now getting through on Ps5. I started Persona 5 Royal back in the spring, and I think I'm a little over halfway through it. Then I gotta play Yakuza 5 Remastered, then Persona 5 Strikers, then Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise, just to name a few.

I bought Kena at full price to support the developers but chances are I won't even get around to playing it until sometime next year. But for the topic of this thread, I can understand why some folks are bothered by the slower release schedule.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Yeah it bothers me that I feel like I've yet to play a "next generation game" ie one that could not have been done on the PS4, we are a year in and there's not one coming soon either?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sony execs want people to think they are different but in reality they are just like everyone, to make as much money as possible. I always knew they would take full advantage of PS 4 sales as long as possible and cross gen. Jim Ryan is a business man, not really a gamer.

FauxBrian

Prophet of Truth
Aug 20, 2021
Got a PS5 day one, haven't played a single major PS5 exclusive yet. So far it's the best damned PS4 I've ever had, I'm more than happy with my experience just being able to play PS4 games with a a better framerate/ cranked up visuals/faster load times.

Feb 15, 2019
Yes, since I buy consoles for exclusives it would definitely bother me if they'd only have 1 big AAA Ps5 only game in 3 years.

But they don't and they already have 3 in the first year. And unless you actually think they don't have anything else for the next 2 years and 1 month, then I don't think there's much else to discuss.

But yes assuming we take your nitpicky title and OP at face value, that would indeed bother me.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
PS5's first year has been amazing and every single gen the internet forgets what console launches look like. I'd like to have more PS5 only games, but those will come in due time and honestly late PS4 image quality at 4K with additional effects and higher frame rate still looks pretty good. It's not like the PS3 to PS4 jump.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
For me it's a good thing, since I have a PS4 and all the games I care about from Sony are coming to that, so no need for a PS5 till a few years from now (hopefully with a slim version). If I did have a PS5, I'd probably be a bit bummed but it's not a big deal. I upgrade my PC exclusively for better performance, and that's what the PS5 mostly gets you at this point. Haven't been disappointed with the Series X despite only one big next gen exclusive so far either

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Sometimes I wake in a cold sweat thinking about how the games will also release on PS4.

I reckon that people have a really wild idea in their head of what next gen systems are capable of...which seems to happen every generation.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm personally not bothered by it, only because I have such a huge backlog of Ps4 games that I still hadn't finished on Ps4 that I'm now getting through on Ps5. I started Persona 5 Royal back in the spring, and I think I'm a little over halfway through it. Then I gotta play Yakuza 5 Remastered, then Persona 5 Strikers, then Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise, just to name a few.

I bought Kena at full price to support the developers but chances are I won't even get around to playing it until sometime next year. But for the topic of this thread, I can understand why some folks are bothered by the slower release schedule.

Slower schedule compared to...what ?
I mean if you compare PS5 first year output with PS4 you got : Demons Souls, Returnal, Ratchet, Destruction All Stars vs Knack, KZ SF, Driveclub and Infamous Second Son.
On top of that I'm not even counting cross gen releases, timed exclusives and console exclusives that would make the comparison even worse...
So if you ask me things only got better.
Compared to the competition I'm not even going to bring to the discussion because it would be a blood bath.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I wouldn't say I'm bothered by it, but if I had it to do over again I'd have held off on PS5. XSX has shifted to my main as Gamepass is great for me as a person who doesn't care about owning games and rarely replays things and I prefer the Elite controller. The PS5 exclusives haven't been my cup ot tea yet and I'd have been fine playing the cross gen stuff on my PS4 Pro.

But again, not bothered and I sold the Pro for $250 so it wasn't that big a cost to upgrade to PS5 early even if I'm using it way less than my XSX or Switch so far.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The single best place to play those exclusives will always be the PS5 (double framerate, better visuals, higher resolution, RT options). Why would i be bothered that returnal, ratchet and clank and demon's souls are the only "ps5 only" sony made games? 🤔

We also don't know if something else could come between now and then either.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
I consider the PS5 as an upgraded ps4 pro and that's fine with me. 60fps Elden Ring on console sounds great to me.

Too many games for me to care about whether a game is next gen exclusive or not.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
A game doesn't need to be PS5 only to be big AAA PS5 exclusive.
A game being on PS4 isn't distracting from its quality and it's not preventing it from taking advantage of what the PS5 can offer. There's already a couple of big big AAA PS5 games out there and plenty will come before SM2.

That's the biggest thing I've hated recently. Everybody crying because Microsoft and Sony are getting their games into as many hands as they can by taking advantage of their platforms.

Just fucking play video games and have fun. Stop worrying about if a game is only on PS5 or only on XSX. We are well past the point of there being a big difference between generations.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Slower schedule compared to...what ?
I mean if you compare PS5 first year output with PS4 you got : Demons Souls, Returnal, Ratchet, Destruction All Stars vs Knack, KZ SF, Driveclub and Infamous Second Son.
On top of that I'm not even counting cross gen releases, timed exclusives and console exclusives that would make the comparison even worse...
So if you ask me things only got better.
Compared to the competition I'm not even going to bring to the discussion because it would be a blood bath.
I guess it is just that a lot of people who own Ps5s also owned Ps4s and were really used to having more exclusives in a single year, not thinking about it being the first year or a launch year.

Feb 16, 2018
it's weird but i bought a ps5 to play ps4 games, not ps5 games (there are none)

and the ps5 was basically the same price as a ps4 because this whole situation is a clown show

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Nope, the PS5 is still the best place to play Sony games which is why I bought it. I really don't care if a game is cross gen or not. Any new tech from current gen will take time to really weave itself into game design anyway.

That being said, I'm not exactly enthralled by Sony's output right now. Gamepass occupies most of my gaming attention nowadays.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
My PS5 backlog is huge so doesn't bother me. I do want 1440p VRR support to have some parity with my Series X.

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who doesn't have a PS5 just yet and primarily buys Sony systems for 3rd party games anyways, that honestly wouldn't bother me. If anything, it'll be nice for getting through my PS4 backlog with some nice enhancements

ThatBigDude

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I was just thinking about this, reading the GoW Ragnarok thread.
Since I love new technologies, just the new features in the nextgen version of some games, already justified the buy of my PS5 for me.

But, as a massive fan of the big Playstation World Wide Studios, it's insane to me, to think that probably from the release of the console, in November/2020 until the release of Spider Man 2, probably in September/October 2023, we will only have one big AAA PS5 only original game from his studios.

Considering that Returnal is a smaller game and Demon Souls is a remake of a PS3 game, I think only Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart is classified as a original big AAA PS5 only game from Sony.

This bother you or you still feel that it's OK, specially due to the problems generaTed by the pandemic situation?
That's still more than what Microsoft has released in the same time frame.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
well it isn't a problem for me either way as I said earlier, but the fact that this thread has been so popular makes me think there are others who feel the same way that OP does about the situation

The reason this thread still gets traction is :
- Some people, me included by the way, are disappointed that some upcoming games are cross gen
- Some other people are just console warring

Anyway there is a huge gap between being disappointed with the fact that some titles are cross gen and creating rules that excludes released games because reasons.
On top of that we don't even know Sony line up for next year and the OP is throwing shots for 2023 lol
As I said before I think that if we want to analyze PS5 first 2 years we have to compare it with the PS4 which already is better even 2022 line up open...or with the competition which so far the PS5 is leagues ahead.
So yeah it would be even more exciting if the announced cross gen titles were actually next gen only ? No doubts. But how can anyone be bored with a better line up than it's predecessor and the competition is beyond me. Unless you take the OP route and create rules to exclude games randomly.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
How about it's competitors? If this is a PS5 problem... imagine the others...

I think Sony is doing an awesome job since last gen. And if you are having trouble playing Demons Souls, Spiderman Miles Morales, Returnal because of some random thought about being remake, small (which isn't) or crossgen.... you are missing a lot of awesome games!

Can't wait to play Gran Turismo 7 next year and immensely hyped about Ragnarok (please be a first semester release).

Oct 27, 2017
As a PS5 owner it bothers me that Sony didn't follow up that wonderful MediEvil remake with a remake of MediEvil 2 for PS4.

The fuck was up with that, Sony?

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
PS5 not having anything that I want to play until 2023 is actually good for me because it justifies not buying one yet lol. Not in a rush at all. And by 2023 I'm expecting the Slim revision to be out already so all the merrier.

I'm in the same exact situation. I wanted to get one on launch but that was basically impossible and since then my hype has gone down the drain.
Other than R&C: Rift Apart i'm not interested in anything else on the platform atm and i really dislike the look of the PS5 so i decided to wait.

Since my primary gaming platform is the PC and i also have the older consoles, i'm in no rush, but depending on how GoW: Ragnarok performs on the PS4 Pro i might get one (PS5) next year or wait for the eventual slim version.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Spiderman on PS5 and watching that Horizon gameplay video my cross-gen concerns have mostly vanished. Even with cross-gen Horizon is easily the best looking game to date. So everything will be fine.