• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

This situation bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,047 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 2,007 65.7%

• Total voters

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Give me a big budget, horror-focused exclusive game you cowards.

And that is totally not me being bitter about the lack of Silent Hill or anything. Maybe.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I swear you are one of my fav posters lol. Thank you. Its so aggravating to see how people just shit on the work done and the insane early gains we Are getting out of native titles on these machines while they have a last gen counterpart.
Thanks! I know a lot of people from the industry have given up posting here, but I have a secret weapon...

fVfjJEP.jpeg

matrix-neo.gif

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I purposefully sat out buying any big titles in 2020, specifically because I knew I would prefer to play them on the new console. All of these games would most assuredly get a next gen version, or at least a patch. FF7, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us Part 2, etc.

I remember buying a PS4 and getting the Last of Us remaster, and reading posts on site like this that were like, "man, I wish I could be experiencing this game for the first time on the new hardware."

That's when I realized that this is how it's going to be with new generations going forward. So when I see people post questions like the OP's, I just shake my head while enjoying my riches.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Begging the question with a false number, using a strangely restrictive criteria, and adding some ridiculously uninformed statement about the next 2 years. And the question is a ballot stuffing magnet.

Many games can run on PS4 with lower resolution, lower asset quality, no ray tracing, long load times, no haptics, no 3D sound.... It's up to the developers to decide if the market share is worth it, and if their game design decisions allowed a cross-gen game in the first place. Some games do need the new hardware for gameplay purposes. Some games are not worth the additional development time for cross-gen. Some games will use an engine that was never ported to PS4. But it's none of your concern as a gamer, it's a developer's burden, and a studio's investment decision.

There's much more cross-gen this time around for obvious reasons. Previous gens had to transition to a completely different architecture, new API, going from PPC/Cell to x86, from Nvidia to AMD, games read from the optical drive without installs (WTF do you do with 20GB total?), going from 256/256 ram to unified 8GB was an insane jump, GPUs doing real compute, etc...

This is the main reason we now have the smoothest transition of any console launch in history. Even despite covid and the delays. It's literally the best thing that happened with this gen, both for gamers and for developers.

Also it's bullshit to dismiss the hard work from developers having a new ray tracing engine on PS5, new audio pipeline, haptics implementation, loading entire levels in 2 secs, and then turn around and claim it's just a resolution gain compared to PS4.

Well said. Thank you.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
As a PS5 owner, no I don't care at all about this. More people getting to enjoy the games is good, and I applaud PS leadership for the decision.

OTOH, Sony's first party lineup is the most boring that it's ever been in history (to me). That's far worse

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
FFVII remake came out last year. I feel like that personally bought many games a lot of time. Even though this comment or idea sounds dumb.

Tsushima content, Death Stranding Content, more VIIRemake content, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Demons Souls, Updates to other games like Spiderman and God of War...., Kena, Fist, Tales of Arise, .. Forspoken is soonish, Elden Ring is soon, Horizon Forbidden West is soon, Gran Turismo 7 is soon.

FFXVI will get more information eventually soon. We have a lot of games overall and soon and recently. I think things are in a good state at the moment.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's debatable but i'd say it is more "horror-themed" rather than "horror-focused", considering i personally meant is the genre being the core and biggest aspect of the game itself.

I haven't finished it yet, but it feels very much like a sci-fi take on Souls or Bloodborne, both of which have heavy horror elements. The story is entirely sci-fi horror with fears of losing your humanity & sanity, being trapped in an endless nightmare, as well as a good bit of body horror (all of your upgrades are painful infestations, lots of creepy alien corpses scattered throughout the worlds, etc.) and the occasional jump scare. Lots of moments that feel very Alien-esque. It's not a survival-horror game, but it's definitely a horror game and a very good one.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I haven't finished it yet, but it feels very much like a sci-fi take on Souls or Bloodborne, both of which have heavy horror elements. The story is entirely sci-fi horror with fears of losing your humanity & sanity, being trapped in an endless nightmare, as well as a good bit of body horror (all of your upgrades are painful infestations, lots of creepy alien corpses scattered throughout the worlds, etc.) and the occasional jump scare. Lots of moments that feel very Alien-esque. It's not a survival-horror game, but it's definitely a horror game and a very good one.

It sucks that everything is so damn pricy in where i live, it has been in my list for a while.

Will grab it before the year ends, but very happy to hear it.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
There's no precedent in history of so many First Party games being cross-gen. This decision was made because of money. That's their decision. Mine is not buying these at full price. If you're OK playing games made for a 2013 machine you do you I guess.

decisions in this industry are made with the intent of making money, yes. That's not an insightful thought nor does it have anything to do with what I've posted. PS5 came out last fall, there's plenty precedent of first party games within the first year and beyond to be cross gen, it just so happens that Sony's pipeline and output for this transition has been better than in some past instances thus more cross gen first party games this time around. Don't buy the games, you'll be alright, I promise.

Gothar

Jul 7, 2021
Dallas
Here's my PS4 list, I could be wrong but best I could find...

- Knack
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- DriveClub
- Infamous: Second Son
- Bloodborne
- Until Dawn

That's the first 2+ years of PS4 AAA exclusives that didn't also have PS3 versions or weren't remakes/updates of PS3 games. So now you are looking at PS5 first 2 years:

- Returnal
- Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
- Forespoken
- Ghostwire Tokyo
- Deathloop

Then take into account that there's a global pandemic that pushed back development of many games, and the fact that GoW:R, HZD:FW, GT7, etc. are all new games that look and play beautifully as well...how is this a problem?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Why is this OP's question so specific? lol...I just want to play fun games, why would I care what's original or not, or what's still on PS4. I'm gonna say I think you simply want your viewpoint reciprocated OP. This can't be a legitimate concern, it's jumping through too many hoops.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sometimes it seems like some people here play games purely as a way to legitimize their hardware purchases. it's so weird seeing people champion exclusivity like it's a good thing. don't get me wrong, i love gaming hardware, i always end up with every major platform because i want to experience all the good games, but to see people disappointed that game X or Y isn't a PS5 exclusive just screams insecurity to me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about cross gen. Modern engines are often built and iterated upon for years so will have their roots in 'old' generation hardware even if there are new features in them. Multiplatform developers are used to developing scaling engines which can go all the way from a 3090 and 16 thread CPU to a relatively lower powered laptop or even switch. PS5 and XSX share a very similar architecture to both their previous incarnations and PCs.

Bottom line for me - a lot of the increased performance in the PS5 (and XSX) can be leveraged for better graphics, higher framerates, denser worlds, faster loading, without compromising on the design just because there is also a version being developed for a lower powered console (or PC)

If/when game designs are proposed that *require* next gen only, it sounds like both Sony and MS are supporting their studios in that choice. But if they don't need that, why not take advantage of supporting the millions of older consoles and owners out there?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I've been going through my PS4 backlog so I'm good with waiting

Yep. Alot of my backlog almost feel like entirely different games now that they're running smoothly, more responsively or outright at locked or near locked 60fps. I know Just Cause 3 would probably be an entirely different game without the horrible performance due to the massive explosions and physics stuff going on.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about whether we get a shit ton of cross gen games. As long as we getting fresh things I'm good

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the games that are coming out but I would be lying if I said I didn't want more of a bigger technical showcase for what the PS5 hardware is capable of. Even Ratchet and Clank doesn't quite scratch that itch for me.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yes. Expected much more..
Well, pandemic and other reasons delayed three big 1st games that were originally announced for 2021 - Forbidden West, GoW Ragnarok and GT7.

On one hand that sucks, but on the other we can't expect software development will be without issues these days. At least we have lots of games to play in the meantime, we just got Kena and Deathloop that PlayStation promoted a lot over the years.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda. But Demon's Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank in the first year is still extremely impressive though. Way better than PS4 anyway.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation consoles are always slow starters, so im actually happy at the speed things are moving at.

I still have flash backs to the days of nothing but Resistance and Motorstorm

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, I didn't get a PS5 for the 1st party anyway, the types of games they make greatly diverged from what I liked since around the start of the PS3.
Still I'm curious to what is to come.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Very weird and dismissive thread

Blatantly ignoring releases to create a false narrative.

Nov 1, 2017
Hilarious how OP calls Returnal "small" when Ratchet Rift Apart literally reuses the same 2 reskinned bosses over and over again through most of the game.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see my fellow Returnal stans in here, if the PS5 never got any more games I'd be satisfied already.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What bothers me is people moving goalposts to make a point?

Not a massive AAA game? doesn't count!
On PS4? Forget It!
Third party? LOL c'mon!
PC release? No thanks!!

I mean I could kind of see your point if you bought a PS5 strictly to play Sony first party and Sony first party only released one game over three years...

But that's not the case, like at all, in fact Playstation 5 has had one of the better year one games lineup I'd say probably ever and this is all coming from someone who primarily plays on Xbox and doesn't own a PS5 (yet).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusive titles are a bit of a silly argument in many cases anyway. If you've only got a PS5, then every release is "exclusive", innit?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Did they release games for your PS5? Did you enjoy them and think they looked nice? Yes? Then who gives a fuck?

I struggle to understand the mentality of people who burn even a single calorie being in "bothered" status by things like this.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
What bothers me is people moving goalposts to make a point?

Not a massive AAA game? doesn't count!
On PS4? Forget It!
Third party? LOL c'mon!
PC release? No thanks!!

I mean I could kind of see your point if you bought a PS5 strictly to play Sony first party and Sony first party only released one game over three years...

But that's not the case, like at all, in fact Playstation 5 has had one of the better year one games lineup I'd say probably ever and this is all coming from someone who primarily plays on Xbox and doesn't own a PS5 (yet).
In my use case, if I ever get a PS5 it would entirely be for first party Sony games that aren't on PC or PS4 lol. I do 95% of my gaming on PC (haven't turned on my PS4 in 6-7 months) and so far every PS5 game I want to play is also being released on PC/PS4. What's good for me is this trend continues, I don't have to buy a PS5 until the slim model is released because I hate how huge the PS5 is right now (and the ugly white color that can be rectified with new faceplates).

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
The lack of next gen only games generally is frustrating and the main reason I'm not really running out to snatch a PS5.

I have a very good PC for third party games and so far Sony hasn't really done much to justify for me the purchase. Doesn't help that their steady return to anti-consumer Sony is full steam ahead.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone remember when Uncharted collection and Console bundle was PS4s big Xmas release?
I do. R.E.L.A.X

flannelcakes

Sep 28, 2021
I don't think I've even played a PS5 exclusive besides Astro's Playroom. Only reason I got the PS5 when I did was because I wanted the games I was playing on PS4 to run better/quicker and I didn't want to be scrambling to get one the closer we got to Forbidden West releasing.

So, no. I was more than happy with what I was getting on the PS4, so getting those games but prettier and faster was really all I wanted.

Oct 27, 2017
What a bad way to look at it. Returnal, Astro, Souls, Miles, DAS, Ratchet, Deathloop, Horizon 2 (uh how is that not a major AAA?), GT7, GOW all seem to be coming in the first 24 months.

FF16, Forspoken (spring 2022) are both likely 2022. FF7R got exclusive DLC, Tsushima got a big DLC. This disregards timed exclusives like Kena, Bugsnax, Jett, Stray, SIFU etc. and ignores the onslaught of PSVR2 games we'll probably get holiday 2022.

Imo the first party and third party exclusive lineup has been tremendous imo

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
They've had just a great year 1 in terms of exclusives and year 2 will be starting with Horizon 2, GOW Ragmarok, GT7 and who know what else.

What a crappy take lol

Dec 11, 2017
I'm ready for games that literally can't run on CPUs weaker than the PS5/Xbox Series. I want to see how far we can push AI/physics/destruction etc.

Hernan532

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 30, 2020
Why people keep asking this? It's like saying. "Oh no, no exclusive Rtx 30 series game on PC"
Compatibility with old devices don't mean nothing today. Stop thinking with a '90s brain.
Engines, APIs and Frameworks evolved a lot to keep thinking like this.
Of course games will get better with time, cause things keep improving, but that is common sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Having 3 big new console exclusives, which were all great games by the way, is an exception not a rule with the advent of a new console generation. And all in the midst of a global pandemic. We should be thankful. These people busted their assess for our entertainment under very non-ideal, stressful circumstances.