• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

This situation bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,047 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 2,007 65.7%

• Total voters

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a fan of cross gen games, from either Sony or MS. I understand the reasons, but I still want to see what these consoles can do without the last gen shackles. Having said that, FH5 and HFW still look amazing and are cross gen.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
More than tech time and money are the limiting factor for AAA games these days.

I can understand if you were sold on the idea that the new consoles were going to be revolutionary that you are disappointed but we are past the days of tech and power holding back software the way it used to 20+ years ago. And I think an iterative future where the focus is on software is honestly better for the consumer. Well better as long as there is some kind of backwards compatibility...

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Would I prefer that everything be made specifically for the PS5 hardware? Of course. Am I especially bothered by it? No.

The games look good, they look fun, and it seems everything is going to be running at 60fps which is great. It's not like they showed everything either. I highly doubt you'll be still sitting there in three years time making a thread about how Demon's Souls, Returnal and Rift Apart are the only true PS5 exclusives.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nah. I don't care whether a game is AAA or not, a good game is a good game. Returnal is my GOTY and one of my favourite games right now, which since it's a "smaller" game, doesn't matter? Wack.

MS won't have a true next-gen AAA exclusive until next year, (Flight Sim does count but it's not AAA) but I still love my Series X, plus FH5 and Halo Infinite look great, and they're both cross-gen.

People upset because a game is coming out on PS4/Xbox One is really weird to me. A good game is a good game.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me at all and as a PS4 owner I'm glad to be getting these games… it's just humorous after some of the hang-wringing on this topic last year from some folks based on what was being said by the major console players at the time.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
LOL that's a way to dismiss Demon's Souls and Returnal...

Anyway, no, it doesn't. It's my primary machine, so there's plenty of games yet to play and to be released, even the cross-gen ones. I'll get the juicy new gen only games eventually, I'm not in a rush.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What people really want is tons of trailers for games at least 3 or 4 years away so they can complain every showcase when they don't show up

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
It's a bit of a bummer, but not more than that. 3rd party is where it's at for me. Having the better version of any game on PS5 + backward compat. of older games was good enough for me to get one. I've come to terms with the fact that Sony's first-party offering are just mostly of no interest to me, but, like I said, it's not why I got a PS5 in the first place.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
No, and for two reasons.

1. There was, and still is, a global Pandemic ongoing that is affecting literally every single aspect of game design and release. Down to literally the equipment they'd need to create said games being difficult to come by due to the chip shortage.

2. Because of reason 1, the PS5 has been difficult to find in stock. My thinking at this point, since there's also relatively few games coming out because of the pandemic, is to just wait until the PS5 slim version releases (Or mid-gen upgrade if they go that route) to grab one.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
No, I really don't care if a game I'm looking forward to on PS5 is also coming out on PS4. If there's a game I want to play, then I'm going to play it. This gen is a special case since it started during a global pandemic and it's obvious plans had to be changed to reflect that.

If you ask me, we're lucky that we're even getting new games at all. If this pandemic happened in earlier gens, game development would have probably halted completely due to devs not being able to effectively work from home.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
PS4 era started with lots of sequels (infamous, killzone, uncharted), but as time went on many studios delivered new and original IPs. We are currently in the sequel phase (even better, we are getting first sequels of few new IPs for the first time on nextgen hardware which makes them extra exciting), and there's nothing wrong with that. New IPs will come. IMO, Naughty Dog is ready for a new IP. Insomniac is already embracing a new big game with a brawler mentality. Bend is working on a new IP....

Two games? By one of the most celebrated studios out there? I'm more than fine with it, especially since Wolverine will move and fight nothing like Spidey.
the marhvel is too dam high!
4 out of 30 games is too many /s

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
It just made me more happy to have bought a Series S as a "transaction" console, waiting to be able to easily buy a PS5 revision later with actual games built around it.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I'm explicitly annoyed that they jacked up the pricing and are selling us what amount to Ultra Settings PS4 games for $95 USD in places around the world - this is more of an issue for people outside of America obviously, if it was a nice friendly $10 raise like in the States, I would probably care less - as it is now, they are approaching double the price of Switch games/ or PS4 games at retail a year ago in a lot of places and that is shitty.

These games would still have been PS4 games without the pandemic so the pandemic reasoning doesn't hold apart from it dragging out the length of cross gen (and new consoles are ALWAYS hard to get hold of). Hopefully with Spider-Man being PS5 only (until the inevitable Hermen blogpost or Jim Ryan interview shows up) we have seen the back of the PS4 gen for first party after 2022. I find it funny that the thread about no free PS4 upgrades for cross gen Horizon was a collective gamers rise up outrage but price gouging PS5 owners on games that should have free upgrades from PS4 is not an issue and everyone is just entitled for being annoyed about it

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This thread premise feels like peak Era, "I know they launched during a Pandemic, but I personally still find it inexcusable that their First Party exclusives are so spread out and the first few are also on PS4!"

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is.
Xbox has had 1 big exclusive game since the Series X came out 10 months ago and that exclusivity ended last week.
The Pandemic happened and work loads got cut and dates got pushed back for everyone.
Never mind releasing games, none of them can make enough console to sell because of the situation in the world at the moment.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I'd be interested in hearing more about your game sizing classification scheme, OP. How large *is* Returnal, and what units of measurement are you using?

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Not really bothered right now as what we're seeing is just the logical evolution from having only new IPs, or reinventions dominating Sony games in 2017/2018 with Horizon, Spider-Man and God of War. All those games were huge hits and were guarenteed to get sequels, and as they all came out close to one another, it makes sense that the sequels will come out in close proximity too.

This is just a cycle that will end up with a few years (2025-2027, I'd bet) where we will see more new original IPs or reboots and less sequels once again. Let's not forget that just yesterday Cory Barlog confirmed he's directing another game for Santa Monica, that will almost certainly be a new IP. And, as most people have already said, it's not as if Sony hasen't released a new big IP this very year.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
This thread starts with a false premise. There are already 3 AAA PS5 exclusives (Returnal, Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank. The fact that you're only counting one doesn't make it a fact.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
moving-goalpost.gif

End thread here, heh.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I care that I have great video games to play. I have great video games to play. Why would you care about anything else?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I mean the OP sounds like you are kinda dismissing how massive of an impact the Pandemic actually had on the world. and yet despite that, I would still say PS5 already has a decent enough library to not warrant this kinda skepticism.

Dec 2, 2020
It's annoying there's only a couple of PS5 only games yes because of the limitations 2011 hardware and a standard HDD bring in terms of game development (aswell as Sony's whole generations bullshit) but there's also been a global pandemic which will influence game development well in 2022 so it's fine. I've still to play Returnal and Ratchet so I'm all set until next year.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not bothered by this. Being in PC gaming for a string of years kinda made generations break down more to a preference for higher performance, and I think the start of this generation reflects that better than ever before on the console side of things. It's mostly the same stuff I'd be playing on older hardware at a higher performance level. That encompassed much of my time on PC with my hardware upgrades, and was usually the biggest motivator in seeking upgrades to begin with since actual base compatibility was rarely the actual issue. My PC could run almost everything I wanted it to through the years, I just sometimes found myself wanting it all to run better.

If I had never spent 5-6 years in custom build PC territory, I may have never adopted this perspective but I do understand how console players might want more of the traditional technical leaps. I'm in an uncommon position of having picked this perspective up from PC gaming but no longer wanting to engage with PC (for a relatively complex range of reasons) and now I'm back on console only.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
There are people that still can't get the PS5. I get why they still do crossgen. After next year though, I hope we get PS5 only games which seems like is happening.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Nope, not remotely.

What bugged me was the whole attempt to play off crossgen as a bad thing in the first place to score brownie points against Xbox. Crossgen is proconsumer as most games given the 5 year dev cycle are limited anyways.

Leave exceptions like MSFS and Ratchet to next gen.

May 12, 2020
Outside of your dismissal of Returnal because it's a "smaller game" in your eyes, which is a shame cause it's a pretty meaty game with a deep story, no. A big reason I bought the PS5 was for Gran Turismo 7, and it seems to be arriving sooner than later so I'm very happy.

Everything else in 2022 is simply a cherry on top to Gran Turismo 7.

This, I can't fucking wait for GT7.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Returnal, Demon's Souls and the BC upgrades/patches have been worth it for me so far. I got a PS5 in January and I've really enjoyed it, especially Returnal which in hindsight actually turned out to be a system seller for me.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
If the only way you can make a point is to completely disqualify multiple games which render your point incorrect then you haven't really made a point.

Either way, no this does not bother me because there have been multiple PS5 original titles, and unless we have become psychics, the PS5 has only been out ten months. We have no idea what can be announced and released over the next two years.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Three years, eh? You sure Sony got nothing else to announce that's coming anytime sooner than November 2023? We are not even a year into the release, and you are already saying they're not releasing anything original on PS5 only in the next two years...?
Plus what they release (Returnal, Demon's Souls) doesn't count. Alright.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
It's already been beat to death - but it's pretty obvious someone made a thread who had not even finished the games they're complaining about. If you're upset after playing Returnal, then something's wrong with you. GOTY and I play Game Pass 75% of the time.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
At one point it annoyed me that so many of the games were cross gen, but I've kind of given up on that feeling. Insomniac has shown that we can have cross gen games that still feel like they're taking advantage of new more powerful hardware. The stuff that really redefines what SSD hardware can do wouldn't have happened for a couple of years anyway, so better graphics and shorter load times were about the extent we were going to get.

That being said, I'll be ready for the cross gen phase to be over.