• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

This situation bother you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,047 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 2,007 65.7%

• Total voters

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I enjoyed Insomniac's first Spidey game, and while I'm certain their future Marvel titles will be equally quality, I'm bummed that we're losing out on potential new IP from one of my favourite (and one of the most talented) studios in the business.

I really, really hope they don't end up becoming a Marvel factory for the rest of the PS5's run.
You do realize making Marvel-related games didn't and won't stop Insomniac Games from making new IPs, right? They released a bunch of new IPs (albeit they were VR games), still new IPs nonetheless.

Jul 2, 2021
There's still plenty coming outside of those and not sure if you've tried any of these games but they are great outside of them being Marvel games. You don't have to be a fan to enjoy them. Even if Insominiac wasn't making these games they'd be making similar games, like Sunset Overdrive. If you don't like Spider-Man, you probably don't like insomniac games.
I'm noticing a lot of people complaining about Marvel games and acting like there is so many of them. Just recently getting back into retro gaming and collecting for Sega Genesis and honestly there has always been a lot of licensed games including Marvel. There's really is nothing out of lines with history there. If anything there is more variety now than there ever has been. Starting to feel like it's just cool to hate Marvel now. Which is cool but I'll just enjoy great games, if it is a licensed game or original IP.
I've played SM and SM:MM. And I'm already sick and tired of all the Marvel crap. Games, movies or TV series. Would have been nice to get at least one new original first-party IP in this showcase. Like I said I couldn't really care less about seeing more Marvel stuff so this whole showcase did nothing for me.

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You do realize making Marvel-related games didn't and won't stop Insomniac Games from making new IPs, right? They released a bunch of new IPs (albeit they were VR games), still new IPs nonetheless.

Sure, but you can't avoid the fact that making two massive, triple-A Marvel games is going to take up a huge slice of their time and resources. I'd personally prefer to see those massive budgets going towards new, exciting projects that are all their own, rather than licensed projects that lean on popular IP for safer returns.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Me neither. It's like people here are playing bingo lol. Has to have x first party game so they can put a dot on the square.

Also gt comes out March 2022.

Like... as long as PS is getting the Japanese titles I like, I don't care who makes them. I'm not gonna like them more cuz it boots up with a PS logo. PS4 got a ridiculous amount of Japanese support and the PS5 will continue that. That's all I give a fuck about.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
By all in you mean less than a handful of games?

Also Spiderman is/was great. I expect nothing less of wolverine

I get that Marvel is something a lot of people like. I do. I just feel that Sony first party studios increasingly make games that aren't interesting to me, which is something I would never imagine saying 4-5 years ago.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not even a little bit.

The first year of the PS5's life cycle has been stellar, in large part due to backwards compatibility and cross gen games that have helped keep away the "first year drought" most new hardware experiences.

Returnal, Demon's Souls, and Ratchet & Clank are exclusive PS5 titles. I don't put qualifiers on them like "AAA" or "it's only a remake." For me, personally, I find that a little insulting to the insane amount of work these studios have put into developing these games and getting them into our hands, and during a global pandemic where the vast majority of us are still fucking working from home, dealing with personal losses and struggles, and trying to do our jobs as efficiently and effectively as we can.

I mean, I've been working from home for the past 19 months, and while our studio has been holding up pretty well, it has been incredibly hard, and various plans we have for our game have had to be adapted because of this pandemic.

I'm giving these studios a bit of slack, and I can't help but applaud them for being able to give us what we've gotten over the past almost two years. It's crazy impressive.

So, no, it doesn't bother me that the PS5 isn't drowning in AAA games, and won't be for the foreseeable future. Not to mention that AAA development is an expensive and difficult undertaking during the most "ideal" development circumstances…

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I get that Marvel is something a lot of people like. I do. I just feel that Sony first party studios increasingly make games that aren't interesting to me, which is something I would never imagine saying 4-5 years ago.

I mean... aren't they by and large making new entries into those same titles from 4-5 years ago...?

Jul 20, 2020
I hope they show more next year. More so because outside of GOW and forspoken much doesnt interest me. Its my exclusive box but I'd still like to use it as much as I can in the near future.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It was frustrating back when they announced GT7 and GoWR as cross-gen games as well, especially since they let us believe those were PS5 only for almost a year.

But since then I've accepted that this gen we are gonna have a long ass cross-gen period (wouldn't even surprise me if we had 2024-2025 cross-gen games) and moved on.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
More 'concerened' by how woefully uninspired their upcoming Playstation Studios lineup is shaping up. Lots of quick turn around sequels and Marvel games. All of which are a particular flavor of 3rd person, set-piece-driven action outside of GT7(which looks kind of basic next to modern vehicle sims). I'll end up playing some or most of them since my PS5 is the world's largest paperweight without exclusives, but I'm not Day 1/$70 excited for any their WWS projects as it stands.

But whatever. I have plenty to get hyped over in other sectors of gaming, and the announcements seem to be a hit with their intended crowd so good for them.
5 years for Horizon & GT, 4 year for GOW. That's not quick turnarounds my friend.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
We don't know what Sony is going to release the following 2 years. I would be shocked if we don't see more exclusive games.

Also, Returnal is no "small game".

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty direct result of the PS4 gen being heavy on new IP and most of them being super successful. I imagine it's hard to justify not making a sequel after a success with how long it takes to make a brand new game compared to a sequel with a build in audience.

Which is why I was fine that Bend wasn't making another Days Gone. I think we know that Bend, SSM, likely Naughty Dog and the newer studios are all making new games.

I get some of the Marvel fatigue, mostly the movies and some of the games that feel like also rans. But personally I can't get enough of the Insomniac brand of Spider-Man so I'm definitely down for Wolverine.

The only one I can think of Suckerpunch I would be fine if they made something new before Ghost 2 which I guess is a unlikely possibility, same with GG hope they make something new after Horizon 2.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
What bothers me is how the stopped making quirky japanese games. AAA is not as important to me.

May 24, 2021
Doesn't really bother me at all. After after GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon, TLoU2 did as well as they did, I knew we were going to be seeing sequels to each one of them.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Sounds to me you didn't like God of War (2018), Ghost of Tsushima or Returnal. XD

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Right lmao. Literally getting GOW, Horizon, GT7 all in the same year. WITH their native PS5 versions that still are going to be better than almost anything anyone else is putting out on the market lol.
Like literally the hole entertainment market. Books, movies, music got nothing on what they just showed.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
Sure, but you can't avoid the fact that making two massive, triple-A Marvel games is going to take up a huge slice of their time and resources. I'd personally prefer to see those massive budgets going towards new, exciting projects that are all their own, rather than licensed projects that lean on popular IP for safer returns.

Lmao after the avengers being a massive flop I can't believe people still say stuff like this.

Like can you say with confidence that guardians of the galaxy game will be a massive success? Midnight suns?

Making a Spiderman or wolverine game is no more or less safe than making than say ratchet.

Also who are you to say that insomniac didn't want to make these games?

May 17, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility, history of similar behavior
Ah yes they should have simply upended their entire global supply chain, despite the console still becoming their fastest selling ever under these crazy circumstances. I too know how logistics works.

Ah, yes. I guess it's always just about the business needs.

I see the hot takes just continue to flow from you like water from a faucet....amazing.

This showcase really made some ppl feel a certain type of way....did not expect that.

Then again....I did but ....damn, lol.

There's an ignore button right there, dickhead.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
What bothers me is how the stopped making quirky japanese games. AAA is not as important to me.
They probably wouldn't have stopped if more people bought them.
You do realize that Insomniac chose to work on these games and IPs, right? They weren't forced to.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The differences between platforms are relatively minor compared to past generations; this is the standard now, cross gen transition periods are never going to go away, so I would hope that anyone bothered by this gets over it.

Jun 11, 2021
No it doesn't bother me. It doesn't matter to me whether a game is a sequel or original but if it is interesting to me and it's high quality, I will play it. Not sure where you are going with this thread.

zapo

Nov 9, 2020
nope not at all, i managed to get both xbox series x and ps5 but lots of people havent plus all these games started on ps4 anyway so why not, also glad xbox is bringing a bunch of games to xbox one for people who are stuck

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
it doesn't bother me but I think I might have held off if I knew just how dry it was going to be as a multiplatform owner

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really justify the cost of a ps5 yet until the games come out for it. I'm waiting till some first party games come out.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I only think it's annoying because Sony was banging thier drum really hard about believing in generations, amd then kind of ended up being mostly full of shit about it.

In reality, I think they've done a pretty good job. While getting games designed specifically for PS5 is pretty amazing, the reality is that Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet, Miles, Horizon FW, Gran Turismo 7, and God of War all really do still look incredible.

Also, visuals, or perhaps more specifically, the ability to render a game in a way that only next-gen machines are capable of, isn't necessarily the most important aspect of a game. Most of favorite games this year are cross-gen, and I feel absolutely spoiled for it. Psychonauts 2, the Artful Escape, Death's Door, Quake Remastered, have captivated me just as much as Returnal and Flight Sim.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If you have to jump through hoops to give reasons why Returnal (currently my GOTY) doesnt count, then it seems like you just want to complain that Sony are specifically not making the exact games you want while willfully ignoring others just because goalpost moving.

And no, either way it doesnt bother me. What's being releaesd looks excellent. I dont give a rats ass about cross gen, I thought GOW Ragnarok looked amazing and I completely forgot that it was crossgen yesterday night. I'll get the game, almost certainly love the game, and probably laugh at those that are bemoaning the existence of a PS4 version - ditto with GT7, Horizon etc

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely, no. There's things that do bother me about Sony's strategy with ps5 but the actual software is not one of them. Games and game engines continue to be more scalable than ever and I think with each release and project teams and publishing should be putting them where it makes sense for the game and for the fans. If the only reason to ship exclusively for ps5 is artificial, that's not good enough. I do not need games to be exclusive to ps5 to validate my purchase of the ps5 basically.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Definitely not happy about it. By deciding to go with a unique configuration for PS5 (the huge focus on memory speed instead of compute), it's really all up to the exclusives to show what the PS5 is capable of (and why you should buy it over xbox).

Really not liking the new Sony that seems to prioritise their game publishing profit over the PS platform.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I've played SM and SM:MM. And I'm already sick and tired of all the Marvel crap. Games, moviesor TV series. Would have been nice to get at least one new original first-party IP in this showcase. Like I said I couldn't really care less about seeing more Marvel stuff so this whole showcase did nothing for me.

The world does not revolve around you, so move along. You do not want your PS5? Sell it, make someone else's day and invest in another machine.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
What's the problem? All games look, sound and feel amazing on PS5. The industry is preparing to the new big leap in graphics in the next few years. The release of Unreal 5 engine will mark it.

Also and most importantly: good things need TIME.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Definitely not happy about it. By deciding to go with a unique configuration for PS5 (the huge focus on memory speed instead of compute), it's really all up to the exclusives to show what the PS5 is capable of (and why you should buy it over xbox).

Really not liking the new Sony that seems to prioritise their game publishing profit over the PS platform.

I don't know what this means.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
a global pandemic happened
These games would have been on PS4 regardless they are obv. developed with PS4 in mind.
Covid not happening doesnt mean that the 130m PS4 out there suddenly stop to exist.

If they had gone PS5 only with most of their games on a limited install base they would have lost the mindshare war for a lot of announcements compared to Nintendo and MS, that adress bigger parts of their audience with their offerings.

Jul 2, 2021
The world does not revolve around you, so move along. You do not want your PS5? Sell it, make someone else's day and invest in another machine.
Nah I'll keep complaining until I get something I like. And this is what all the other customers should do too if they aren't happy.
You can move along though and ignore my posts from now on if they bother you.
Sony's biggest issue right now is lack of japanese first party support
Well I mean there isn't much left. Polyphony was there with GT7. And then... there is Asobi with more Astro games. That's it.
All you can do is to hope that their japanese XDev team will collaborate with From Software again.