• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm actually considering jumping off the Surface ecosystem because they're not repairable at all. Can't even replace the battery.
Do apple or anyone else offer this?
I agree that a non-replaceable battery is the very worst thing about the Surface and so many modern computers/phones/tablets.

Oct 29, 2017
Do apple or anyone else offer this?
I agree that a non-replaceable battery is the very worst thing about the Surface and so many modern computers/phones/tablets.

I don't have any Apple products so I'm not sure, but from a google search it looks like they offer repairs? Not that they're super affordable but it's different than "we'll give you a completely different refurb unit because our devices are unrepairable":
https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

At any rate, what kinda kills things for me is the fact that there's no DYI option even for Surfaces, or at least it's prohibitively difficult. Nearly everything is glued together, which makes it extremely difficult to take apart and put back together. And with Microsoft themselves refusing to service their own devices, you're kinda just left with whatever ails your computer.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...pairable-ever-surface-laptop-is-made-of-glue/

Not to mention the sheer amount of E-waste this whole venture must be producing for Microsoft. Not that I'm extremely conscious about it (and I accept fault on that), but this in particular just seems uncomfortably excessive.

I'm heavily considering switching to something from the Lenovo line, where you can at least replace the battery without basically destroying the lappy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu9ydZqAyLA

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Surface Pro 3 was a workhorse in college. Sold it soon after though. Using it in my lap was never really viable unless I had room to put my knees up. I also never really liked using it in tablet mode. I loved taking notes by hand but after college that wasn't used anymore. The hardware was great. I think if I was going to do a surface product it'd be the book or laptop these days.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Been there done that with SP4. It's a great machine, no doubt.

If windows can get me a seamless texting experience like iMessage on MacOS, and a fully powered native terminal without nonsense like MacOS, then I'd be in.

Same reason I'm not into Linux -> no iMessage.

What's the best case scenario? MacBook with Windows partition lol.

Feb 1, 2018
If windows can get me a seamless texting experience like iMessage on MacOS, and a fully powered native terminal without nonsense like MacOS, then I'd be in.

macOS-tier Messaging/Phone calls/SMS/Facetime integration is never happening, but for a Terminal competitor, Powershell is getting pretty good these days I think

What's the best case scenario? MacBook with Windows partition lol.

Trackpad and battery life are terrible on bootcamp, two important things on a laptop

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
image.png

Microsoft just tweeted out this video. I've had the surface stand slip down my knees so many times. D: Despite being tall it always feels precarious.