• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just bought a Surface Pro 6 (with keyboard since the bundle was on sale). My MacBook Pro and iPad are both several years old and it was really time to upgrade. But I'm extremely unhappy with the current state of Mac laptops, and while the performance of the new iPad Pros are astounding, the limitations of iOS mean I don't want to use that kind of device as my daily driver. (I've tried it before in the past with a keyboard case on my old iPad, and while it does some things well, it still feels hamstrung in a lot of areas.)

Despite all of that, I was still looking for a device that was sleek, very portable, well-designed, versatile, and reasonably powerful. The Surface Pro 6 seemed like an obvious choice. I considered a low-end gaming laptop, but I had trouble finding one that didn't look like absolute garbage.

Anyway, after a few days, I'm really impressed with the Surface. I've never had a problem with Windows 10, and it's only gotten better over time. Having a full-featured OS on a device that can be a tablet, a laptop, and switch between them seamlessly, is really useful. I love the functionality of the keyboard cover, I love the look and feel of the device. And the screen is absolutely gorgeous.

Considering that I've been a Mac user for over a decade at this point, the transition has been smooth. Anyway, I don't really have a huge point in all of this, just felt like I needed to get my thoughts down somewhere. Any other Surface users out there? Any recent Mac-to-Windows converts?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Had a MacBook from 2010 onto 2016. Only had it because it was a hand me down and I didn't pay for it. Didn't really like it to begin with, but got a Surface last year and it has been fantastic. I use it all the time.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny - I switched from Windows to Mac about 8 years ago due to the hardware back in the day as Apple seemed to be the only one with well designed (both functionally and aesthetically) products. Now the hardware of Windows appeals to me but I'm in the eco-system of Apple (desktop, laptop, phone, watch, tv device, and home speaker device) and no getting out of that - especially when I dislike Google. Plus the OS hasn't caught up with what they've been doing from a hardware side in my opinion - I'm not a fan of Windows 10.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I used a surface laptop for a while through work. It was hard not to be impressed with the design of the hardware - great looking touchscreen, nice keyboard (especially compared to newer macs), thin build and lightweight. The device quality was basically on par with most of the Macs that I've used over the past few years.

But I still prefer MacOS to Windows 10, especially as a longtime iOS user. I really appreciate all of the integrations between my phone, how easy it is to use AirPods on my Macs, and the general workflow of switching between applications on a Mac.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Surface Pro. I think the feel of drawing is slightly better on the iPad Pro, but it doesn't beat having a full OS.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
hate Windows 10 compared to macOS (or iPad iOS even, if I don't need a desktop OS atm). and pencil 2 iPad 11 are amazing.

but yeah, the hardware is great. outstanding even.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a Mac user for the last 9 years and recently purchased a Surface Book 2 due to quality concerns with Apple's latest laptops and their keyboards. I like Windows 10, but really wish there was a way I could get MacOS on the SB2 so I could have the best of both worlds.

I guess I didn't really move away from MacOS, though, as I kept my 2016 MacBook 12 the Surface Book 2 replaced. It had problems driving my 4K monitor and the processor was really weak for video encoding, so it was time to upgrade.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually moved back to Windows after my company gave me a Windows 10 laptop and I saw that it was a perfectly fine OS. I guess I also realized that I had no idea why I was paying for an $1800 computer to run a web browser and Spotify.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread as i am thinking about buying a surface laptop or pro this week to replace an aging ipad.

What specs did you get? can anyone shed some light on the differance between i5 and i7. I am hearing it not a huge diff this gen. Any first hand knowledge?

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a great device. I had a Pro 4 when it came out which got me out of the MacBook ecosystem. If they'd push out a substantial update I would come back into the fold.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I really wanted to get my hands on a Surface Pro, the price threw me off but its def worth it for the modern hardware. I do wish it had better gaming capabilities, It would be nice to get to enjoy my Steam collection without a full gaming laptop persay.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed OP - I'm a MacOS/iOS user but MS has done a great job both on hardware and software side. For me the best of all worlds is MBP 2016 with boot camp installed so I have access to everything but I would not be averse to going full windows on a surface pro. They're awesome.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My Surface Pro 4 is a few years old but it's still most definitely the best computer I've ever owned.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had a surface pro for a while, and it's a really nice device, easily the best 2 in 1 PC I had, and generally just a really nice hardware, it was some of the nicest PCs I've worked with, period.
But in the end, a normal laptop just fits my needs better, but anyone who is interested in this form factor (or just tablets in general) should take a serious look at the Surface.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
I had an expensive MBP at work for 5 years and it broke at least once a year. My personal SP4 never died during that time. I just have bad luck with mac stuff

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I still use my Surface Pro 4 for class. I love it. My only real complaint is that it doesn't really work well in my lap.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Surface Book 2 15" (work), Surface Go (personal), and a SP4 (wife's).

I also have a 2017 MacBook Pro 15" (personal, photography) and an 11" iPad Pro (for fun).

They all have their pros and cons. Universally, they all SHOULD be damn good devices considering their price tags; and fortunately they are. I take the stance that the Surface devices are really, really great laptops but pretty garbage tablets. Great for "writing on the screen," but terrible for consuming Netflix, playing games, etc.

OP
OP
Orb

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still use my Surface Pro 4 for class. I love it. My only real complaint is that it doesn't really work well in my lap.
This was honestly my biggest concern, but so far hasn't really been an issue. With the kickstand being infinitely adjustable, I can always manage to work it into a position that lets me use it on my lap. I'm doing that right now, actually.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The last Surface Pro device I had was a SP3. I currently have a fully spec'd Surface Book from January 2017 as well as a 15" MacBook Pro from mid-2015. For personal use, I have been a Mac guy since I bought my first MacBook in Feb. 2008. I switched to primarily (~90%) using the Surface Book about a year ago for a couple reasons. Our company switched to Office 365 instead of Google Apps for Business, and I have generally frowned upon Apple's efforts to make macOS more like iOS (I like macOS a lot, but I hate iOS pretty intensely). I was also in a phase where I was spending a LOT of time in Excel, and Excel is objectively worse on the Mac than on Windows (the gap isn't as large as it used to be, but it's still significant).

I still generally prefer using macOS to Windows 10, but the Surface Book has been a really excellent device. I use the official docking station along with three external monitors. I get some quirky behavior with window resolutions moving from the higher-res display on the device itself vs. my 24" Samsung monitors, but it's kind of nitpicky. I would not hesitate to recommend one to someone.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I've owned a wide range of Apple/Surface products the past 5 years (2013 15" MacBook Pro, Surface Pro 4, Surface Book 2, 2017 13" MacBook Pro, 2018 iPad Pro, 2018 Mac Mini). I've liked them all. Haven't had any major issues on any device.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
This was honestly my biggest concern, but so far hasn't really been an issue. With the kickstand being infinitely adjustable, I can always manage to work it into a position that lets me use it on my lap. I'm doing that right now, actually.

Oh it's definitely doable but I just wish it were a bit better. It's not a major complaint but a minor one.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
IMG-2959.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Surface Pro, and I bought my second one a while ago. My home office right now is a Surface Pro 6 hooked up to a 4K monitor. It doesn't have much grunt but I more than makes up for it in flexibility. I carry this with me every day to my day job.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Whenever I use the Surface Pro on my lap I wish I was using a regular laptop. The kickstand is not comfortable for lap usage unless you sit strangely and hook it over your knees.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMG-2959.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Surface Pro, and I bought my second one a while ago. My home office right now is a Surface Pro 6 hooked up to a 4K monitor. It doesn't have much grunt but I more than makes up for it in flexibility. I carry this with me every day to my day job.
That's a really nice setup you got there!!

And yeah, the Surface Pro is one of the best things I've ever put my hands on. I have a MacBook Pro 2015 (probably one of the best models ever) and I would switch to a Surface Pro, no problem. I just wish Windows 10 was better and, for sure, I would miss the features between my Mac and iPhone.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah think I'll be switching to a surface device at some stage. I got gifted a MacBook Air when I started uni and I got a 2018 iPad for taking lecture notes last year. Really like taking notes with the pen but I much, much prefer windows and I hate how you actually charge the iPencil so I'm thinking the surface will appeal to me more on both fronts as well as to cut from two devices to one.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I had a screen fault on my Surface Pro 6
Great thread as i am thinking about buying a surface laptop or pro this week to replace an aging ipad.

What specs did you get? can anyone shed some light on the differance between i5 and i7. I am hearing it not a huge diff this gen. Any first hand knowledge?
The i7 is only really useful for gaming or for driving extra monitors. On the other hand it has a fan which can be annoying, and eats the battery quicker.

Both of my surface pros are i5. My general feeling is the diminishing returns for costs on the higher end machines are better saved for a newer model in 2-3 years instead, especially when the kb and pen have so far been forwards compatible.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I traded in a pretty beefy Macbook Pro for a Surface Pro a couple years ago and haven't looked back. It's like this device was designed for me. The only drawback was that while it was very portable, it was still a bit too large and heavy to just bring it with me in a purse. Recently got a Surface Go for that very reason and it goes with me wherever I go. I love it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
That's a really nice setup you got there!!

DEE6-B9-D1-A54-D-4-D69-A00-D-007254186-DFC.jpg

70-AE9-CC5-C3-D6-4584-A114-13-C55-C2-EF273.jpg

Thanks!! I'm really pleased with how flexible the computer is so I can swap between laptop and tablet and desktop mode pretty seamlessly. It's a shame the dock is so overpriced (I bought one) because it's so nice to have a magnetic connector for the desktop.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If it had a slightly larger screen I'd jump for a Surface Pro in a heartbeat. It's the only thing stopping me from buying it, as someone looking for a portable computer/laptop/tablet.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'd switch if the pen felt as good as the Apple Pencil does on my iPad Pro. It just doesn't. And Procreate gets better by the day it seems. As a thing used for art, iPad wins. As an all around device, Surface is dope. Wish I had a reason to get one, as I'm still a Windows fan over iOS anything.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have one of those Macbook Pros with the newer keyboards and an iPad Pro, and I feel like I should just sell them and combine it into a Surface Pro. I'm holding out for a Surface Pro with Thunderbolt 3 though - that would push me over the edge

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one of those Macbook Pros with the newer keyboards and an iPad Pro, and I feel like I should just sell them and combine it into a Surface Pro. I'm holding out for a S

The new Mac keyboards are legitimately dogshit. There are enough devices that can fulfill that hybrid role well enough now.

Nov 30, 2018
I've been trying a Surface Pro 6 and honestly I don't understand why they make tablets

Windows 10 with a touch screen or in tablet mode is garbage

Battery life is pretty terrible as well, around 5-6 hours or so of normal usage

And no USB C so upgrades are none and that's $900+ wasted on a device that's obsolete immediately

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've been trying a Surface Pro 6 and honestly I don't understand why they make tablets

Windows 10 with a touch screen or in tablet mode is garbage

Battery life is pretty terrible as well, around 5-6 hours or so of normal usage

And no USB C so upgrades are none and that's $900+ wasted on a device that's obsolete immediately
All of these things are true, and will likely remain true for any Windows tablet (although the lack of USB C is hopefully getting fixed with the next surface pro). That said, I use it without a keyboard often when I'm drawing or playing games.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the 2016 iPad pro 9.7. It will be my last iPad, not because the of the hardware, but because of the limitations of iOS. I will definitely look at something like the Surface Pro as a note taking, secondary computer.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I never used tablet mode on my Surface (Pro 4 and Book 2), but just using normal Windows with pen+touch is fine IMO. Not as slick as an iPad but it's more versatile obviously.

As has been mentioned in here, I do digital art and Apple Pencil 2 w/ iPad Pro 2018 is just a nicer overall experience.

Apple and the Surface team make the best hardware no doubt.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
DEE6-B9-D1-A54-D-4-D69-A00-D-007254186-DFC.jpg

70-AE9-CC5-C3-D6-4584-A114-13-C55-C2-EF273.jpg

Thanks!! I'm really pleased with how flexible the computer is so I can swap between laptop and tablet and desktop mode pretty seamlessly. It's a shame the dock is so overpriced (I bought one) because it's so nice to have a magnetic connector for the desktop.
Are the Surface Pro screens calibrated?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

Sorry for the image spam, but I love that a handful of windows games work nicely on the touchscreen. Most of my gaming is done without the keyboard.

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OS X feels antiquated, bloated, and horrible compared to W10 in my humble opinion. I've seen brand new i7 macs that beach ball like crazy.

I've used SP4 and now SP6 at work, and like them, but don't LOVE them. In fact, I'm having to do a hard reboot on my SP6 every other day at this point, which is a pain. Much prefer using my W10 desktop at home, which smokes just about any Mac at 1/3 the price.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
OS X feels antiquated, bloated, and horrible compared to W10 in my humble opinion. I've seen brand new i7 macs that beach ball like crazy.

I've used SP4 and now SP6 at work, and like them, but don't LOVE them. In fact, I'm having to do a hard reboot on my SP6 every other day at this point, which is a pain. Much prefer using my W10 desktop at home, which smokes just about any Mac at 1/3 the price.
Had the same problem with the SP4.

Feb 1, 2018
I considered a Surface Laptop 2 for my daily driver but the stupid mDP output and lack of USB-C/USB 3.1 gen2/Thunderbolt 3 was a dealbreaker. Got a 2018 macbook air instead, had some keyboard issues but got it fixed and use unshaky.app, so far so good I guess.

I'll never get used to Windows tbh, even though I grew up on it. Feels like I'm fighting the computer or negotiating with it versus macOS which always just gets out of the way and lets me get shit done. It's also crucial to have ecosystem perks like airdrop/airplay/continuity/handoff/imessage/SMS and phone call mirroring and macOS killer apps like preview, quick look, and easy 10bit color support

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I used when in grad school, taking notes on it was a game changer but if I was in school now I'd much rather have a traditional laptop and an iPad.

I'm not a fan of the kickstand design, it's much less practical than a normal laptop. And there's a lot of small design details that didn't seem to a lot of thought put into them. One that always drove me crazy was the material on the bottom of the keyboard. It wasn't metal but a kind of fabric. If you have to use a laptop on a dirty surface in a public area you can always wash it easily, but the fabric would get gross and wasn't as easy to clean.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually considering jumping off the Surface ecosystem because they're not repairable at all. Can't even replace the battery. The best MS can ever do, if you make it to one of their stores, is give you a refurb unit for $500 if you need even so little as a battery replacement. Doesn't help that my Pro 4 currently is taking a shit being incredibly slow, running hot, and draining its battery despite every possible thing I could try including any scan I can make, a full system wipe, what have you. It's approaching a level of it being completely unusable.

I may go with a Lenovo or something similar that actually lets me/others make repairs. The Surface line is fancy but they're disposable devices through and through, for not-disposable prices. IDK, I'm really disillusioned with the line as of late.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
The pace of improvement in Windows over the past decade or so has been very nice overall. I wish I could say the same thing about macOS. I've loved Apple laptops for a long time, but, like you, OP, I hate the direction they've gone. Shittier and shittier keyboards, port department worsening, prices rising, less innovative software as time goes on, etc. Windows laptop quality, like the OS, has also steadily gone up. I don't intend to buy another Apple computer now. 😐

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Recently got an iPad Pro, which, when paired with a keyboard and stylus is very close to this, but yeah, really missing the ease of multitasking that fullfat windows provides. If apple can improve that aspect of the iPad, i'd be delighted, but right now it feels a bit like it's hamstrung by iOS limitations.

Totally understand the benefits of a surface pro and am a tad jealous for the short term.