• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
85c.jpg

I know it's sort of a meme at this point, but I would get super uncomfortable in this level. I don't think I got any stars from it during my first play through.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was only like 3 or 4 when I had this, but Dr. Seuss' Fix-Up the Mix-Up Puzzler for Coleco. As an impressionable little kid who loved looking at Dr. Seuss books, seeing these beloved characters with terrifyingly creepy faces (I'm sure they made them look the best they could in the game) all ripped up was just too much for me. I needed my parents around just to play it.

Oh! Kid Icarus for NES was also scary for me. Would have been around the same age as the Seuss game. Anyway, I got too scared to keep playing because of the screaming Reapers that scream for days at you, as well as the Eggplant Wizards (I'm not sure why). And then Medusa at the end? Nope. The former of those situations required me to give the controller to my dad to play while I would use graph paper to continue the map we would make to get through the dungeon areas (so I could de-stress). When we got to Medusa, pretty sure I yelled and he just took the controller from me.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Devil May Cry 1.

I wouldnt say terrify, but playing Kingdom Hearts 1 in the dark fighting the heartless in Traverse Town made me feel uneasy.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Friday the 13th. It was the music and the idea that kids were being murdered in the woods.

I don't think I would have even seen a Friday the 13th film at that point.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
When I was a little kid (I mean really, really young. Proper young), that Rugrats game and a lot of moments that terrified the hell of me. Mainly cus I was in control of it. Main bit being that pyramid in the golf section with the mummy inside.

My brother also had a demo disc a few years later with Silent Hill 3'snopening level. I always used to always try it but basically just stumbled around the first bit because I couldn't go any further.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
The redeads in Ocarina of Time, those freaked me the fuck out

I would play it at a friend's house who had a save right by where the redeads spawn, and repeatedly load it up, get too scared to keep playing, turn it off abruptly, and then work up the courage to start it up again

Needless to say I didn't beat OoT as a kid

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Dr. Chaos on the NES scared this shit out of me. First off, you had that title screen that had that scary-ass skull appear in the "O". Then in the game you would be searching rooms and open a door or closet and giant Frankenstein motherfucker pops out and you have to fight him with your knife. Never beat the game, never even got close.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
The one time I played a Zelda game, don't remember which one exactly, and I saw a Like-Like. Turned me off the series completely. The way they moved scared the hell out of me.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I don't think games were detailed enough to be terrifying when I was a kid, but hearing Sinistar say "Beware, I live!" was enough to spook you into adrenaline mode quickly. Also, there was noticeable tension when playing Hunt the Wumpus.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Math Blaster. Gelator scared the fuck out of me to the point where I had nightmares for weeks.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I remember having nightmares with Alien3 for the Mega Drive.

My cousin rented the game and I saw him playing (and failing) to finish the first level on time.

You need to free a certain number of prisoners that are chained to the wall, if you do not free all of them on time the game then proceeds to show each of them being ripped by the chest burters. And I mean, the game kindly takes it time to show each and every single one of them, one after another.

You also have the closeup of the Alien drooling and looking at you menacingly and Ripley's hand trying to reach out and sinking to the bottom of the screen whenever you got a gameover o lost a life (can't remember which one of it was).

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Silverload on the PS1

21lbTXopWZL._AC_UL436_.jpg

My mom took me to Blockbuster when I was a kid and she allowed me to rent this game. It was a point and click horror game. I remember we both played it together and were scared shitless. We came to a part where a barber was using a straight razor to shave my neck and we didn't want to continue because we thought our throat was gonna be sliced. Then my dad came home and freaked out and returned it that same night. LOL

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
I used to be scared of all first person games until I was like 12. I think seeing everything up close was what scared me.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I was a wuss when I was young.

Playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on PS1, I was super scared of parts in the game with moving Suits of Armors.

And I crap my pants when I encountered the mischievous ghost, Peeves, and stop playing for a while.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's your story, because I feel like we just bonded. Cuz yeah, me too, I hated this menu and style a lot for some reason.

That song was just alarming and creepy...

Also

Fucking Ganon here was my "monster in the closet". That laugh.. D:

The memories are vague now but I just remember being at my mom's friends house who had an NES (this was early 90s right before the SNES came out) and the DQ cover art attracted me. Popped that sucker in, walked out into the field and ran into that creepy slime. Turned off the game immediately and had residual hatred for the DQ series until i played 3 on the GBC. I've been a fan ever since.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Another World on the SNES, when the animal drops down and chases you. I almost took it back to the store, but ended up keeping it. Alien 3 on the SNES also scared the hell out of me. The atmosphere in that game was so unsettling. The cinematic art of the aliens was very scary as a child too.

I also remember playing the SIlent HIll demo with my cousin and when one of those small things came out of the shadows and squealed at us, we smashed the off switch on the PS1 so fast.

Edit: Actually you want non-horror games? Hmm... I guess Tomb Raider was one, that end boss was so freaky looking, I hated it. I remember some other enemies on the later levels also being creepy looking.

Ecco The Dolphin was unsettling, I have a fear of deep water so that freaked me out. The end boss was also nightmare fuel.

Another would be Shadow of the Beast, the music and the whole atmosphere of that game made me feel uneasy, there's some enemy designs that creep me out. I didn't like going into the cave.

Last edited:

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
A lot of things in Ocarina of time scared me.

I remember being scared when playing Glover for some reason lol

Doom 3 scared me a lot.

Thing that probably scared me the most was when doing the MissingNo glitch and the pokemons sound glitching out and turning into high pitched screams and the glitch city in the safari or going outside the map and the game glitching.

I also remember using a action replay or what ever on ocarina of time also and falling out of the map and getting scared lol

Stuff like that just scared me back then so much smh

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Reading a magazine with an article(with pictures) on the Evil Dead game gave me actual nightmares.

I didn't even play the game.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I had a very strange phobia as a kid when 3D games started happening. Almost any game of that era terrified me. I had tons of trouble playing Mario and Zelda OoT because of that.

There was also something about first person games that freaked me out too. I skipped games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark because of that. I remember feeling so betrayed by Goemon: Mystical Ninja when the Impact Sections were first person.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
Castle_of_illusion_Mickey_mouse.jpg

Something in this game terrified the hell out of me at the time. It gave me many nightmares for a couple of years.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
The post was not to talk about obvious horror games you played as a kid. I was looking more for non-horror games that scared you as a kid despite not being intentionally scary. Like yeah Silent Hill scared you. That's because the game is designed to scare you.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Silent Hill 2. Not sure how I beat it.

Silent Hill 3 was even scarier that I dropped it. Couldn't handle the scary noises coming off screen.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The Water Dam level in the nes TMNT game made my 5yo self terrified all the time. It was because of the music and all the tension, i guess.

I would always watch my older brother play the game but would get out of the room while he was on the water dam lol

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
latest

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone PC game. It had such an eerie atmosphere. Something about the technical limitations of that time and most environments being largely empty created a sense of dread and isolation in me. Jeremy Soul's soundtrack also added to this.

51V44YZCH3L._SX342_.jpg

Another one I remember being absolutely terrified of was the first Tomb Raider game for PS1. Again the silence and the empty environments. There were also so many myths about weird things happening in the mansion, some of which were actually true. Actually still gives me chills writing about it now.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Forces the sewer level

The Dianogas fucked me up. Used to have to weapons cheat and then just spam the entire level with thermal detonators

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Like Likes in the N64 Zeldas scared me like nothing else. None of the traditionally creepy things in those games scared me (redeads etc), just the damn Like Likes. I usually had to pass the controller to one of my brothers when one was around. The Great Bay at night in Majora's Mask just about gave me a heart attack.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
My father bought me a PS1 alongside with Crash 1 and MGS. Metal Gear with it's realistic graphics were scary and unsettling to me.

Oct 28, 2017
34212-Jurassic_Park_(France)-2.jpg

Oh god when I was a kid, we rented Jurassic Park for our Super Nintendo. I could never play it very long cause I always got so scared whenever I ran into this huge triceratops. I would die and then turn it off.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dino Crisis 1, Parasite Eve 2 (fuck that first transformation FMV and the damn mutant horses, holy shit), RE3, silent hill, Alone in the dark (the ps1 game).

Tbh i loved these games even when i played them as a kid and i was terrified af.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The final boss fight of Soul Blade always scared the crap outta me as a kid, to the point I had to let my mom or dad play the game for me to beat him lol.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I don't think games were detailed enough to be terrifying when I was a kid, but hearing Sinistar say "Beware, I live!" was enough to spook you into adrenaline mode quickly. Also, there was noticeable tension when playing Hunt the Wumpus.

Yeah, that's the same for me.
And Berzerk... "fork the humanoid ! kill the intruder ! intruder alert intruder alert!"

atmhmzng.jpg

I had so many more games that scared me as an adult than as a kid xD (Silent Hill and co)

CheeseCrazee

Oct 27, 2017
Yo that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is spot on. The stealth sections, especially for a 6-8 year old were terrifying. I hated diagonal alley.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Some Dracula game for the PS1, I don't even remember the name anymore. It was my first experience with a horror game and it was awful.

ZannrebeI

Oct 24, 2018
Blue Stinger, ILL Bleed, Turok, Ecco: dolphin defender of the future (Sea Monsters nty) and Resident evil 4 all scared me as a kid.

In ill bleed getting in the mansion in zone 1 was too much.
Edit: In fact in ecco it took me 8 months to build up the curage to fight the Megalodon boss... from the 2nd level in the game.

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2. I couldn't stand the levels that featured the ghosts, especially the hidden ones that briefly filled the screen with their horrifying faces if I got too close.

y2NegjQ.jpg

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
It's usually the underwater situations/monsters that freak me out.

N64 Star Wars Shadows of the Empire with the sewer creature. Mario 64's eel. Even now I still get some anxiety from aquatic monsters, like the hydra from Dark Souls.

I got Subnautica from EGS that I've been sitting on for some months now. I wonder if I can handle that?

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's more a fear of things I can't quite see or see completely.

Oh, I also remember seeing Mortal Kombat at a pizza place when I was a kid. Sub-zero tore off Raiden's head. I had to go home and lay down for awhile and just process everything. Not sure if that counts as terrified or just shocked.