• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
always went to friends who had clueless parents or parents who didn't care anyway to play Vice City or San Andreas before my parents allowed me to get it.

Once I was 14 or so I was allowed to get the German cut FSK 16 version so I got a ps2 with San Andreas as a gift from my uncle, I remember saving all my cash to additionally get the uncut fsk 18 version of SA and putting the disc
in my fsk 16 box.

Last edited:

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Never had a SNES, so I always went to friend and we played Turtles in Time - such a good game!
Same goes for N64 - Mario Party with friends was amazing and so was Super Monkey Ball 2 on GameCube.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Never owned a gamecube.

Smash, resident evil, anything else basically on gamecube my friend had, I never had lol

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Did Best Buy have some kiosks set up with the consoles or something? If so, were the games actually fully playable, and not just timed, or in demo form?

it was just demos, but they'd have multiple consoles running. you could play sonic 2/3, dkc, super mario world, and when it came out, super mario 64 with your gameplay displayed on 9 crts for all the store to see.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit OP your answer is the same as mine! I played Sonic 3 and Kuncles, and Sonic Adventure in my friend's house and I loved playing them. The only Sega console I had was Sega Saturn and I never really bough Sonic games for it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Kirby Air Ride was the shit at my friends place and Halo was the shit at mine.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda 1 or A Link to the Past.

I eventually got both, but those 2 games kept me over my friends house.

You know that friend that parents have a nice house, all the toys, etc. Yeah, it was like another world for me.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
For the longest time it was Smash Bros 64, then Melee. Brawl I owned then it was back to my friend's for Smash Wii U.

Now I'm that friend for Ultimate.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis. It was *the* game that made me wonder for a while if I had made a mistake rooting for the SNES, judging by how fast it was and how many "things" it could display on screen at once, especially when breaking capsules at the end levels and seeing this many animals coming out and bouncing out of them. It might seem trivial nowadays, but even back then my 8-year-old mind could comprehend how this very specific aspect was superior to a SNES. Whenever I got to play it, I never had enough time to get past the underwater zone, which I felt was unfairly hard at the time. I wished my friend could lend me he Genesis so I could get to play Sonic as long as I wanted to so I could get further. This wouldn't happen until emulators got around to being good and full speed. Funnily enough, when we both got Mortal Kombat 2 for our respective consoles, that's when I knew I had made the right choice in asking my parents for a SNES.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I've never personally finished FFVII but my friend had it on PC and, later, console and I have seen that game fully through more than once.

Also Tie Fighter.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Played the hell out of Ultimate Spider-Man on PS2 whenever I was at a friend's place. Pretty sure I got all the way through the story. Still my favorite Spider-Man game simply for how fully realized that world is, there's villains and heroes everywhere (and the 2018 game feels "empty" because there's cool landmarks but zero associated heroes present)

Mania

Jan 27, 2018
Melee. It's one of my favorite games ever but I never owned it but all my cousins did so I'd always play it at their house.

jedezel

Oct 28, 2017
Strangely, it was Mr Nutz for me.
I did not own a Super Nintendo, and I was facinated by the beauty of the graphics when I was playing at my cousin's house.

Many many years later, I realized that the game was not that good...

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was goldeneye for me. My cousin had an N64 and I didn't, so I'd always be dying to play it at his house

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't have any neighborhood friends but I did go to my cousins houses over the summer and Super Smash Bros. Melee and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle most definitely saw over 900+ hours of game time.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Some game on snes i pkayed at my babysitters house...

I dont know what it is called...
Its a sidescrolling shoot em and sword game.
The second or third level is like the wild west or something but the first is like sci fi... It has two player co op one it is a boy one a girl.

I wish I could remember what it was but whenever i get suggestions they are wrong.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I'm gonna get some "Wait, you played this as a kid!?", but...

Resident Evil 0 and 1 for Gamecube (though I never finished the latter). I'd later have these on modern platforms, but back in the day, I'd play these on my friend's GameCube. I was about 12-13 by this point, admittedly, though I did play Resident Evil 2 when I was 8 (that was generally a fun experience, haha). But when Resident Evil 0 came out, we rented it the day of and played and got through most of it. Later my friend would buy the game and finish it. My friend would eventually bring over the GameCube and the game, initially he intended to stay over, but because of my illness, he left it for me to play.

Now, mind you, me being stick with some sort of stomach illness and vomiting/nausea, probably Resident Evil 0 wasn't... the best game I should've played during this time, but eh. Ended up finally beating it on my own during this time.

EDIT: Oh, and Animal Crossing. Love the crap out of that and it's thanks to my friend that I got to play it.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I owned like 2-3 SNES and N64 games at most.
Meanwhile my only child friend got a buttload of birthday money from his UK aunt and lots of games as rewards, like 30+ by the time next generation rolled around. Most of the SNES and N64 games I played back then are because he owned them.
SMW2, Parodius, Lemmings 1/2, Mariokart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie are some that we played together / taking turns a lot.

Cousin also had a better PC at home, so whenever my aunt had to babysit me I could play DOOM and Civilization 2.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
My neighbour had alot of NES games when we were younger. They basically got whatever game they wanted while I got like 3 or so per year so I played my fair share of games at their house and many of my favorite ones as well. Gun.Smoke, Punch Out, Probotector (Contra) and so on.

Later on when I fully converted to be a PC player in the mid 90's I experienced all console games at friends places.. specifically thinking of Overboard on the PS1, Double Dash on the GC and ofc Golden Eye on the N64.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was also Sonic 1-3, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Diablo II and Unreal Tournament 99, I mean I now have a copy of UT99 but I didn't get that until much later.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I donkt k ow if it counts, but my neighbour and I both had a Mega Drive and we would swap games or playbat each other's house. I remember playing Power Rangers the Movie at his place the most.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I never had a console as a kid, so I always had to go to a friend to play anything other than GameBoy. The most mindblowing thing for me was Mario64 though. I basically wanted to live at my buddy's place to find each and every star. Good times.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Dead Rising, because he had an Xbox 360 and I had a PS3.

I think Dead Rising was the first Gen 7 game I've seen and my mind was blown.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
I also had a N64 but I had go to my neighbors house to play OoT. My parents didn't want to buy "violent" games.

Edit: also went to the same neighbor years later to play my own pc games as we didn't have a machine that was able to play them.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I didn't own an N64 as a child, but I would play it at my cousin's house all the time. I was mainly obsessed with GoldenEye.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
One of my best friends back when i was a kid had a Mega Drive while i had a SNES, so everytime i was at his house i loved to play this co-op with him:

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
I was a sega kid growing up bar having a game boy, I'd go round my mates and play all the local multiplayer N64 games like Goldeneye, Pokémon stadium, Worms, Mario party, Mario kart. Those were some good times

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Knights of The Round - NES
73018-knights-of-the-round-snes-screenshot-this-boss-is-lightning.png

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
There was one friend of mine who literally had every single console available, as well as a top spec PC. So I would always go around his place to play the obscure machines (at the time that was basically anything that wasn't Sony, Sega or Nintendo), like CD-i, 3DO, Jaguar, Amiga CD32, Neo Geo etc.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
My friend had The Lion King on Mega Drive but i only had a Master System. I think she got annoyed i was always non-subtly suggesting she let me play it. My cousin also had Croc which i really wanted but i only had Spyro. When i was older i realised how much better i actually had that lol

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,lol...............I was a kid during the C64 v ZX48 system wars........I had a C64 my mate had a ZX48........I would always rib him about how his Spectrum was a bit shitty compared to my glorious Commodore.......but I loved going around to his place on the weekend for a bit of Jet Set Willy.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't have a good enough PC at home to play DOOM, Diablo, and a handful of other games. Diablo was a big one that I played at my friend's house a lot.

Also Graal Classic and Soldat. My friend and I were obsessed with Graal.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I didn't go to friends' places as a kid, so I only have family to go by.

The games I consistently played and enjoyed the most were Wrecking Crew, Outrun 2019 (not to be confused with the 2019 release of Outrun), Wave Race 64, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. I also played and beat Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention on Genesis.

I think my memories of Ren and Stimpy stick out the most... Those darn hippos...

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
N64 is easily the best local multiplayer console ever. Didn't own one during its heyday as I was a PlayStation kiddo, (purchased one as I built a "retro" collection after getting a job/money) but my best friend had one and so did my cousin. The staples like Goldeneye and Mario Kart got played to death sure, but it was the AKI wrestling games that we put the most time into. All four of them seen countless hours of playtime, but if memory serves I think WCW/NWO Revenge was our most played for whatever reason.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Not a specific game but rather an accessory, my neighbor had had the n64 attachment that let you play pokemon games on the big screen and I was all over that, plus if I remember right they did cool stuff with the stadium games too.

Nov 17, 2017
Same OP. My cousins had Sonic 3 & Knuckles on their Genesis and it was like the most magical thing to me. I had only played Sonic 1 and 2 at my aunt's house because she had a Mega Drive. But it stayed there so I never owned 3&K.

I also never own Sonic Generations and played it exclusively and extensively at my friends apartment in college.