• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped reciting it in middle school. Still stood up so home period teachers wouldn't get on my ass about it since I had seen teachers get on someones case for staying seated.

Nov 11, 2017
I didn't find it weird at all that I had to recite the pledge of allegiance when I came to the US when I was 9. But I came from Cuba, a communist dictatorship which had its children doing something very similar every morning.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Not only did my Christian school pledge to the American flag, but also to the "Christian flag" and then finally the Bible.

Every

fucking

day

from 1st grade all the way to when I graduated 12th grade. We even designated students to lead the different pledges. I haven't said any of those pledges in more than a decade and I can recite them all from memory, even getting the cadence correctly.

So if any of my posts come off as overly anti-Christianity and religion in general, don't take it personal. I've just got a lifetime of indoctrination bullshit to get off my chest.
Yes, and also because I went to a private school I pledged allegiance to the Christian flag.
Yep, starting in kindergarten. Even better, I was attending a private religious school where we would say the pledge to the Christian flag immediately after the pledge of allegiance.

Yep, Christian Flag Pledger here. Even as a wee ReAxion I could tell it was such a transparent "me too" (not in the hashtag MeToo way) move. Piece of shit flag, too.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
From prek-8th grade. Don't remember hs. But as I went to Catholic School my whole life, we also had prayers

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
In elementary school yes.. but only once in a week. During college.. no. Except for independence day

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a former Jehovah's Witness, I have not. Ever. Once a sub-teacher tried to fucking force my hand on my heart. I told the principal, and never saw her again.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Senior year of high school I finally said fuck it and stopped standing. When my homeroom teacher asked why, I simply said that I've done this stupid ritual since Kindergarten. I'm not going to commit treason or an act of terror against the US government, it's citizens or property. So, what's the point?

He liked my answer so he didn't give a shit, lol.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
When I got older I left the "under God" part out, because that's dumb. Separation of church and state is kind of a big deal. Let's keep the George W. Bushes and Huckabees out of politics, please.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, every morning. We also sang the Japanese anthem because my school was Peruvian-Japanese.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I'd stand up and I think I'd put my hand over my heart, but I never said a damn thing. Sometimes I never even looked at the flag. I'd just stand there and pay absolutely no attention to what was going on, except when everyone sat down. As long as I can remember, this is what I'd do.

In the week or month after 9/11, the pledge was joined with something else. I remember us being brought from our classrooms to some stage outside of my elementary school to hear the national anthem. It was weird to me then, and even now, despite understanding that it was just after 9/11, it's still weird to me but for a different reason. Back then, it was weird to me because it was a break from the usual routine. And yet, I think I paid even less attention to what was going on when this had happened.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
of course not. enforcing that nationalistic behaviour is not normal. chances are I wouldn't have done it anyway, out of principle

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
Well there was a cold war going on. You could've easily been converted during recess.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
Usually I did. I actually had a brief stint in my early life where I was Definitely going down a path where I would've turned out uber patriotic and possibly super religious. Turns out hearing One debate between an Atheist and an extremely overzealous religious person in art class was enough to make me do a 180 on that.

Anyways, that was also around the time where my schedule was weird and meant I was either coming in after the pledge, or was in the midst of walking to "Brunch" (for some reason my HS had a starting period which was essentially a cafeteria time..). So I just..missed it. That kinda just cemented me just not doing the pledge anymore.

I go to a lot of functions for my younger brother's schools. I've lately just sat during the pledge. Cause..kinda hard to pledge to the country atm, in my opinion. Sometimes I catch eyes, but usually I don't. Nobody wants to do the pledge at a school function..

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
No!

Never!

That's some fascist totalitarian dictatorship shit!

What fucked up country has its children do that?!

27 Burritos

Dec 27, 2018
I said it every morning as a kid. I never actually thought about what I was saying. I was jusr reciting something from memory.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, and learning about it, I found it kind of bizarre.

The closest I come to that kind of nationalism is belting out Flower of Scotland before we inevitably lose at football. And that's only every few months. Can't imagine doing that every day.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I did every school morning with everyone else. Like most things, I didn't really know what it was about and figured I didn't have a choice.

Pisses me off to think about.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
US, so of course. I grew up in New Mexico, so we also did a "salute" to the state flag and it was actually kind of nice:
"I salute the flag of the state of New Mexico, the Zia symbol of perfect friendship among united cultures."

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Y3vEU.jpg

RIP Haast Eagle, it would have been majestic to witness:

It hunted Moa which weighed 230 kg

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Only in the elementary schools that I've attended did we do that. Once I hit middle and high school, nobody cared about doing that shit.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes the anthem in elementary school. Even then it was a creepy way to reinforce nationalism early.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
No, but 2 random 6th year (senior year) students were chosen every week to raise the Flag outside at 9am. I remember getting chosen for a week during fucking winter....

julian

Oct 27, 2017
USA

We did this in elementary school but I can't remember for how long. It was a Jewish school so there was also an Israeli flag which I'm pretty sure we also sang something to, but for the life of me I don't have a clear memory of what it was. I even just looked up what it would be and it looks like it's just the Shema.

In maryland we really disnt stand for it just did hand over chest and kept quiet as someone said on the intercom.

I'm Maryland too. I'm honestly shocked we didn't just pledge to the Maryland state flag. What other state loves their flag that much?

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Every single day from K-6. Then the principal would say stuff on intercom, then class would begin. I don't think anyone thought twice about it. Just something you did daily like brushing your teeth. (US)

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Yes, I was a goodie-goodie kid and was put off by kids who didn't because they were directly not following directions.

Not at all how I feel today but yeah that was me as a kid