• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
I'm half black and don't use the word at all. Well, maybe when rapping along to a song, (duffle bag boy by Playaz Circle comes to mind) but that's it.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I love how these topics always turn to a few people saying, "No one should use it!" It's such a boring take and I've encountered other black people who say that and I always roll my eyes at them. Because I always get the impression that they're trying to hard or afraid that if they use the word they'll be viewed as too ghetto, black, or whatever.

White people have been policing us since we got here. So we shouldn't do it to ourselves.

As far as the question goes, I call non-black people nigga sometimes.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its 2019 my nigga I'm not allowing white people to control or influence what I can or can't say no mo

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I don't use it at all, but if I did, my potentially non black friends would know better than to say it to me. Otherwise they wouldn't be my friends cause they don't know/care about my feelings on the matter.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I don't say it around non Black people cause they gonna think it's okay and I don't feel like having that convo. If it's just black people or, line half the group is black, it's fair game.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In real life I don't use it around my non-black friends because I don't want them getting the wrong idea, especially since I still have to check them for white fragility every now and again.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
its 2019 my nigga I'm not allowing white people to control or influence what I can or can't say no mo
As a society though, shouldn't we encourage groups to be influenced (both ways) by other groups?

In a general sense, isn't this basically Trump supporters' reasoning? "It's 2016 and PC culture has gone too far! I'm not allowing minorities to control or influence what I can or can't say."

(I'm trying to be more broad about the insularization of social groups here than just the n-word. I agree that the agency for that specifically is and should remain with black people.)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying the whole, don't say it around white friends because they'll want to say it.

My female friends call each other bitch and cunt all the time, I'm self aware enough to know not to do the same. This isn't even a high bar.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use it at all, personally. But I don't police how other black people use it and I don't think there's anything wrong with saying it around white people.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
I personally do refrain from saying it around anyone that's not black but it doesn't matter one way or the other to me.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, don't care how it's used, context matters more then the race.

White racist Trump Supports that put on black face probably aren't dropping the n-bomb and it's many variations for the same reason as the white/hispanic/asian dudes that grew up around black folks and fuck around and drop it on occasion in casual conversation among friends.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, they my niggas. They can hear me say it.

But lord knows if they use it. I can flip a switch real quick.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, unless I'm at a work function which is rare, I don't have to hold back what I say. Most of my close friends are some type of minority or mixed so nobody cares.

Thank god I only have to code switch at work.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never noticed anyone using the word past the age 25. It's just kids I hear use it. Was picking up my son at school and one older kid was playing soccer and using that word. His mother heard him saying it when she came to pick him up. She lost it on the poor kid. Lol. Felt bad for the kid cause he was all embarrassed in front of his friends.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped it in high school (late 90's) and never went back, except to shit talk trash folks in my life, but I'm not a fan of using it around mixed company.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how these topics always turn to a few people saying, "No one should use it!" It's such a boring take and I've encountered other black people who say that and I always roll my eyes at them. Because I always get the impression that they're trying to hard or afraid that if they use the word they'll be viewed as too ghetto, black, or whatever.

White people have been policing us since we got here. So we shouldn't do it to ourselves.

As far as the question goes, I call non-black people nigga sometimes.

I don't think anyone here has actually said you can't use it just that they don't. Unfortunate you view those who don't use it as being afraid of our blackness. Maybe we didn't grow up saying it or just don't like to use it. I've gotten by pretty ok in life with out referring to my friends as niggas.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I tend not too. I don't say it much anymore though now that I think about it. A few times around family, but not much else.

I did say it awhile back in mixed company when an old friend surprised me and we started shooting the shit.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't care either way.

But I have noticed that most of my black friends say the word far less than they did when I was younger. I don't know if it's something they've decided to do for a specific reason, or if it's just something many of them have grown out of? I don't know.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't use it in writing or speech.

Don't really have any friends or family who would use it around me. Would probably not really engage for long with anyone who would say it casually around me.

I don't police non people of color using the word.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Non-black person here. When I was in law school I was pretty active in the Black Law Student Association (BLSA). As a result 75% of my friend base black. I thought it was interesting, but I never in the three years I was in the organization heard anyone say it. The only people I ever heard say it (like at parties or social events) were outside people non-law students.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Nope. We shouldn't have to make sure our behavior is in check for the sake of others. Non-black people should never user the word because they can't. I think for far too long we have made ourselves be too perfect for their acceptance. We should be free to do as we please as long as it does not hurt another. We don't have to be twice as good and get half for it nor should we watch how we talk for the sake of another using it, they know better. Periodt

Papoluca

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
No, but I do it out of respect tbh. I'm a light skin Dominican, so I only use with other Hispanics and African Americans.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you going to do when the police call you that?

wtf is this supposed to mean?

Non-black person here. When I was in law school I was pretty active in the Black Law Student Association (BLSA). As a result 75% of my friend base black. I thought it was interesting, but I never in the three years I was in the organization heard anyone say it. The only people I ever heard say it (like at parties or social events) were outside people non-law students.

Not saying that every black person says it (I don't except in songs), but code switching is real. I'd imagine it's super real in a law school environment. I'd imagine there's a lot of pressure there to appear a certain way.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
White bois be browsin' this thread like

giphy.gif

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What are you going to do when the police call you that?

If they could find a way just to keep it to that as opposed to murdering, unfairly jailing, and intentionally harassing us, id give em a monthly pass to say it once.

I don't use it irl, rarely use it elsewhere (I am in a chat with a bunch of black stuffy academics so sometimes I whip it out to annoy them mid debate).

That said it being a discussion always feels like a bit of gaslighting (no offense to op, this is a general observation), there are plenty of derogative terms that people use/switch up and know that situationally sometimes its cool, sometimes its not. I never use the term bitch as a dude, I call my friends assholes to their face jokingly but obv. would never do it to a stranger unintentionally, I discuss things with close co workers outside of work I would never discuss on the job. Basically we all know the time, place and situation for terms but when it comes to the n-word suddenly everyone plays dumb, particularly with the 'if u say it why can't I' argument.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Funny how it's only this word. Like I don't go around calling all women babe just because I call my wife babe. Other people don't call my wife babe because they might have that pet name for their significant other.

But yep, it's always the black folk's fault that others can't reign themselves in.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I've grown to a place where I've stopped letting non-black people dictate how I converse with other black people.

It's a good place to be.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Funny how it's only this word. Like I don't go around calling all women babe just because I call my wife babe. Other people don't call my wife babe because they might have that pet name for their significant other.

But yep, it's always the black folk's fault that others can't reign themselves in.

Like minds. Like I said above its interesting that white culture has no problem differentiating between thousands of other words that in one context is fine, the other can easily be insulting.

But the most famous racial slur, probably the most insulting word in the english language, and suddenly they get confused and need nuance, lol. Its gaslighting

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like minds. Like I said above its interesting that white culture has no problem differentiating between thousands of other words that in one context is fine, the other can easily be insulting.

But the most famous racial slur, probably the most insulting word in the english language, and suddenly they get confused and need nuance, lol.

I love the, "If black people didn't use it, it would just go away!"

Like, breh, we didn't make this shit up. We ain't stopped being called the word with the hard R. They ain't even stopped making up new slurs for us.

But yeah, those damn blacks keep using it so it stays around.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My black friends call me nigga sometimes. I still feel uncomfortable saying it around them though.

But I would be lying if it didn't enter my mind all the time, it just rubs off on you after a while. And then I feel bad about it. Should I?

I am super white for context.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
If you have to worry about using this specific word because your white friends may think it is okay to use, dare I say you need some new white friends.

I am a white kid who grew up in North New Jersey then central New Jersey. I went to school in NYC in the mid 90's. I started listening to Hip Hop in 1986 before it was an accepted thing for white kids to be listening to Hip Hop. I have been called the word in question by my friends hundreds of times over the years since 8th grade or so. They would introduce me to their people as this is my the word Larry. I was intelligent enough to realize it was not very veiled code to hopefully convey the fact I was in fact not a devil.

I never once thought it was okay to use the word. Never once. Then again I am not a fucking idiot. As I tried to point out above, I also grew up in a different time. There was no question whatsoever white people should never say the word. Some still did and they always made me cringe.