• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Galactus and Doom are probably more important to the MCU than the X-Men.

If you're talking about scope as Manmademan says below then I agree.

same scope of IP. There are a lot of mutant characters and mutant villains, sure. That's a pretty broad stable.
But the FF weren't so much a superhero team as they were explorers, which means that within the books new worlds, races, and entities were constantly being introduced

Ahh you're talking about overall scope and variety then yes I'd agree.

I grew up on X-Men comics and cartoons so that has more significance to me personally.

And we already had Skrulls in Captain Marvel so I guess they weren't tied to the FF license?

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious. What the hell do you think the overlap is between these three fanbases? Most people watching GoT or Star Wars probably ended up seeing Endgame.
Seeing an event movie doesn't mean you're a fan of it. I know jack-shit about Star Wars yet went and saw RoTS back when it came out.

Btw, not that I really liked it or anything (thought it was fun), but the guy that suggested all the MCU movies are better than all the prequels is lying.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
I think the avengers stuff is competently made but they leave zero impression on me. Was dragged along to see the recent one with work people and was just bored shitless the whole way through. They just have nothing to say about anything. I doubt I'll see any more of these films if I can avoid them.

Even though I thought Joker was uneven I think it at least tells a much more interesting, human story with a strong thematic underpinning which relates it back to the world and does a great job connecting the superhero/pulpy/fantasy aspects to our own lives.

Anyway, parasite made the most impact on me this year but obviously it's quite niche comparatively. It does have great pulpy elements to it, though.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't know how anyone could one-up Avengers Endgame anytime in the near future.. Just the totality of all the adventures and movies over the years coming to a legitimately satisfying ending was impressive. The sheer amount of people involved in that film is on another level as well.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Seeing an event movie doesn't mean you're a fan of it. I know jack-shit about Star Wars yet went and saw RoTS back when it came out.

Btw, not that I really liked it or anything (thought it was fun), but the guy that suggested all the MCU movies are better than all the prequels is lying.

I think the only movie I'd put down as bad as the prequels is Dark World. The worst sin of the prequels, above all else, is that they are boring, which is also how I would describe Dark World.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No, or at least it depends on which audience you are polling. If you are asking this of a general pop culture fan, then absolutely not. If you are querying "nerd-dom" ( and I use that term solely as a compliment), then maybe you are right but we won't know for sure for 20-30 years or so.
Nerd Dom didn't make Endgame gross 2 billion dollars

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Nerd Dom didn't make Endgame gross 2 billion dollars
Oh yes it most likely did. And, hypothetically, if there was a significant component that is not part of Nerd Dom and simply went to see the movie based on word of mouth, they aren't going to remember the Snap till the day they die.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel has lower standards, so people see a consistent string of 6/10 or 7/10 movies as an amazing success.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I love the sodium that Endgame and all of Marvel sticking the landing so beautifully created.

People wanted that film to fail SO bad. You can see them, all this time later, still taking shots.

Good lord the anger when it passed Avatar... lol.

The second best part of the MCU, are the serial haters that have devoted all of 10 years of their LIVES now to serial hating the franchise for being successful.

"What did you do between 2010 and 2020?"

"Oh, I mostly spent those years crying about the success of superhero movies."

Yiiikes.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I love the sodium that Endgame and all of Marvel sticking the landing so beautifully created.

People wanted that film to fail SO bad. You can see them, all this time later, still taking shots.

Good lord the anger when it passed Avatar... lol.

The second best part of the MCU, are the serial haters that have devoted all of 10 years of their LIVES now to serial hating the franchise for being successful.

"What did you do between 2010 and 2020?"

"Oh, I mostly spent those years crying about the success of superhero movies."

Yiiikes.

At this point they've painted themselves into a corner and they have no way out. Like-I don't like anime, but you don't see me going into Dragonball Z threads bitching about it.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Marvel movies have been a rotting turd for years but I guess they make a lot of money so I guess that means they're good. Apply this logic to other things in life.
you gonna cut yourself with all that edge

Even the bad MCU movies like Thor 2, Iron Man 2-3, etc are leagues better than the trashfire that is the prequels lol.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marvel has lower standards, so people see a consistent string of 6/10 or 7/10 movies as an amazing success.

I kind of agree though I think there is more nuance here.

What the MCU essentially did was bring longform storytelling to movies. If you think about a random TV show you like, is every episode a 10/10? That can't even be said for a timeless classic like Breaking Bad. No, most of the episodes are just good, and build up to striking finales. To me the MCU is built much the same. The consistent string of decent movies is what lets them create the epic finale movies like Infinity War.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
Oh, are we already starting to call Marvel:
Cookie cutter
Fast Food
Has stans that lap anything up and are sheep
Not cinema
Please let me know if I missed anything else.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's a winning formula they figured out early on and they wisely stuck to it. I think Marvel films are...fine? They work on a base level, but they rarely if ever make an impression. They're solid, but wholly unremarkable in my eyes. Still, it clearly works for them and the people that go see them in droves.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel Studios' recipe for success seems easy to imitate on paper yet the number of films that crashed and burned trying to do so suggests that there's much more to it than simply following a formula.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Since you are including tv shows, there is the little known show called Star Trek Discovery that reviewed well and ended up getting us like five more spin offs, including Picard next month. Trek is the original master of shared universes.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Marvel movies never leave an impression but by god, I will always click a thread to tell others how little of an impression they made on me!

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Marvel films are entertaining, some great ones, some ok ones but I don't think they are held to the ridiculously high standards other franchise films are. Which is actually good. I could really do without constant nerd rage - they're just films! Just sit back and enjoy!

That partially may be down to nostalgia - although marvel creations are 60/70 years old the MCU is something we are all going through and living with and I think we tend to pass on their more mediocre offerings.

Phase 3/4 really raised the bar though, I got a lot of issues with Marvel films (mainly there is not really any real drama or sense of peril in them so I don't feel wholly connected to the characters- agree with Martin here - but they are cinema) but in recent years they have nailed the formula, so no matter what, when you go to the cinema you are getting at the very least a extremely well made film/ride that is well edited, punchy and fun. No matter what the finer details of film making are; they will be always fun movies. And I honestly think you can apply that to the new Star Wars movies, and i think, for me at least, what raises the new films and (e4-6) above the marvel films is that you do get that drama. Hans death drew a gasp from me, Rey and Kylos journey I'm invested in and I loved the journey what Rian took luke on whist examining, taking apart and putting back together what Star Wars and the force is again. I don't think I have ever felt any of those from a marvel film

Yet to see TROS but reviews and general sentiment does make it sound like endgame. A messy but satisfying conclusion. But one franchise is getting shat upon the other not. At the moment I feel more invested in Rey and Kylo than anything in the marvel universe. (Spidey and GOTG Crew say hi though) so for me I find the hate a little silly. Seeing TROS in a few hours though and my mind may change though!

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love all these superheroes stories I'm glad they are trouncing.. keep them coming! pop culture rules

Aug 13, 2019
I love MCU films. They're a lot of fun to watch and the nerd in me always squees with glee when I watch them. I just watched Phase 1 over again with my sister and Iron Man, Captain America, and Avengers are still fun to watch dammit. Did they challenge me in any way? No. But I'll forever remember the first time Iron Man flew or Captain America stage performances. And just... so many from Avengers. The rotating shot of the team, Hulk and Thor's Team attack on the Chautari dragon thing, and Hulk absolutely obliterating Loki. Don't get me wrong, those early movies are rough, but there's a reason I've stuck around for so long and will continue to do so.

Endgame, in particular, is something special. The entire third act is pure fanservice. I already knew going in that Captain America was going to lift the hammer, but that didn't stop me from giggling like a child when he did. And, oh my god, the Portals scene. Captain America standing alone against Thanos' army, everyone and their mothers pouring out of the portals, and, my god, Alan Silvestri's Portals. If I could inject this moment into my veins I would. Shang Chi is getting a movie! Marvel has FF and X-Men again! Remind me that I'm a consumer and that Disney owns 7 of 8 of 2019's billion-dollar movies as often as you'd like, that won't kill my excitement for the next one.

With all that said, I don't think Endgame is in my top 5 for the year.

Since you are including tv shows, there is the little known show called Star Trek Discovery that reviewed well and ended up getting us like five more spin offs, including Picard next month. Trek is the original master of shared universes.
Meh, Toho and Godzilla did it first.
They've also brought up the greatest achievement in human history, Spiderverse.
Wasn't that technically Sony?

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'll reflect on how I've forgotten Endgame like numerous other Marvel films AND how GoT was colossally disappointing.

Luckily there has been so much great media this year.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Endgame means a lot to me, not only did I see it nine times in the span of like a month. Frankly I was very suicidal last year and for a few months what carried me through was Endgames release, and after that I didn't really care what would happen. Thanks to me holding out for Endgame, I met my girlfriend last year, and my life has become a lot better overtime and Im actually moving together with the gf in two weeks and living my best life in a long, long time

Sorry for the personal story!

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
"MCU is only successful because fans have no standards and will accept anything" takes are always fun to read. Scientists will be studying for all time how this one film series managed to engage a huge worldwide audience for decades with bad movies, because no other series in history has ever accomplished that. This unique phenomenon is surely something that we should dissect and examine.

Scientific paper published in 2050:

"Turns out, the movies are actually pretty good."

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I thought Endgame was pretty bad too...

It's easily my least favourite Avengers movie.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
"These movies are so awful! I can't understand why anyone likes them!"
buys a ticket

20 MOVIES LATER

"These movies are boring and not memorable at all. Truly awful. Watch more movies!"
buys a ticket

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jokes on you i just say I'm using the bathroom and walk into whatever movie i want.

it's not the movies, they're fine whatever, it's the kind of sentiment that has to exist in order for this thread for this to be made and for you to make that post. movie nerdism has been overtaken by corporate fanboys and box office statisticians and it's all so fucking BORING.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

How many blockbuster tentpole franchises consistently put out movies as enjoyable as Marvel? As far as standards go I'd say they're the cream of the crop compared to other tentpoles that come out in the same year. Like, compared to franchises like Jurassic World, Fast And Furious, Transformers, the Monstersverse, the DCEU, etc. and it's pretty obvious that Marvel is just in another league.

Yeah, sometimes you get something amazing like Fury Road, but that's the exception to the norm. If we're just looking at the modern state of blockbuster movies, I don't think you can account for low standards as to why these movies are enjoyed so much. It's not like every year we're getting blockbusters on the level of quality of classics like Terminator 2 or Die Hard.

If you want to say as films in general, yeah, maybe you'd rank then consistently 7/10, but for blockbuster entertainment, I think they certainly earn their praise. They aren't trying to be anything else.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never in doubt. People laughed at me when I said Game of Thrones and Star Wars would be crap this year while MCU would reach new heights.

MCU simply set itself up for something special, the others were overrated messes which couldn't be fixed for a long time yet everyone seemed to ignore that.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Feige is a big reason for this, he knows what he's doing, he actually cares

I keep seeing this "care" comment thrown around and, honestly, it needs to stop.

You don't like how something came out, thats fine, but stop attributing theres a lack of caring involved in the production or decision making. These people work themselves like crazy and care way more than you know, its just not always going to resonate with parts of the audience.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying we were hyped for the grand finale of Star Wars, but who the hell was looking at this as the grand finale of Star Wars? I still don't get it lol