• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who was the better romantic partner for Aragorn?

• Arwen

Votes: 208 73.8%
  • Eowyn

Votes: 74 26.2%

• Total voters

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GBS6boStPQll.jpg

0e0ac0341ec0eb588119b7c97f82f1a4.jpg

So I'm probably opening up a HUGE can of worms considering how heated this debate was back with the PJ trilogy first came out. But fun fact, the Arwen/Eowyn debate has been going on far longer than that, since the books were published. And according to TVTropes, originally Aragorn WAS supposed to end up with Eowyn, only for her to die and Aragorn to never love again out of despair. But the Tolkien came up with Arwen (who doesn't even show up except in the appendices) and paired off Eowyn with Faramir. Apparently for years Tolkien received letters from angry fans telling him how Eowyn was the better match for Aragorn.

Contentious issues as it remains (those flamewars on Fanfiction.net were hillarious) I'm gonna say Arwen was the better pick if only for political reasons. Arwen's people were leaving so Aragorn married her solely for love. While with Eowyn, she was the sister to the new king Eomer, which might have led to problems later on. So yeah, Arwen is better for me. And no, not just saying that because I had a massive crush on Liv Tyler in the 90s, not at all...

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i mean as an audience the choice is clearly the character we know more about

but im earnestly not super into straight ships so it should have been arwen/eowyn

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eowyn is better politically, not worst.

But Arwen is an elf. She has advantages that aren't political.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Arwen of course. The union of an elf and a human is so rare that Aragorn and Arwen are only the third time it happened!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Eowyn didn't really know Aragorn.

That alone makes me pick Arwen above her.

Also she had to do some growing and such.

This doesn't mean they could have hooked up for a night and gotten it out there

Faramir idk if that works but I guess it makes more sense than some other possibilities.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Tolkien correctly decided that the 88 year old Aragorn was too old & world weary for the 24 year old Eowyn

Plus Arwen helps explain a lot of Aragorn's past, including his connection to Elrond & the elves.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've not read the books but from the films Eowyn just comes across as a kid with a crush.
She barely knows Aragorn and they share few moments that suggest there's any sort of deep connection.
Arwen and Aragorn have history and chemistry so it's them.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Elves are way too intense. They live forever yet Eowin lives more. Go with her, she can crack a joke, ride to battle and down a pint or whatever they drink there. What else can you ask for?

Alternative: Joey Tribbiani "put your hands together" gif

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Frodo saw them having an intimate moment in Rivendell.
Yeah, Arwen shows up in Fellowship and Aragorn even thinks/speaks about her. It's only the final pairing of Aragorn & Arwen that Tolkien decided upon at the very end of the trilogy. The character had always existed and been vaguely connected to Aragorn

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
An ebony elf, I want some interracial action going on in that bitch. LOTR is so vanilla.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
For the movies? Arwen. She came across as the more romantic choice plot-wise & character-wise + she is an elf so even after they wed she should hopefully live long enough to match Aragorn's own unnaturally long lived bloodeline.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This seems like a really dumb question considering Aragorn very clearly loved Arwen more.

Like a lot more so much more that he was basically willing to die for her and she would do the same for him.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
You would think her elf dad would've stuck around long enough to say "I told you so."
Elrond wasn't opposed to Arwen marrying Aragorn. Elrond raised Aragorn as his own son and was super fond of him. Elrond was just strict about the then 21 year old Aragorn trying to court the disinterested Arwen when he should've been focusing on his destiny to become King. 67 years later when Aragorn became King and Arwen actually reciprocated his feelings, Elrond had no objections to the marriage.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like Eowyn deserves better. Not that Aragorn isn't good, but Eowyn slayed the freaking Witch King of Angmar. She should be able to get whoever she wants, not be strung along by someone with complications (whether that be Arwen or being the King).

I like her with Faramir but also think she deserves better than him too.

Basically I guess if Eowyn wants Aragorn than she should get him because she should get whatever she wants at this point.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Maybe I'm reading WAY too much into the material, but I always interpreted, at least from the films, that Eowyn's infatuation with Aragorn was ultimately not so much a romantic love, as it is recognizing a peer who saw the bravery she was capable of if given the chance by her culture and society.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm reading WAY too much into the material, but I always interpreted, at least from the films, that Eowyn's infatuation with Aragorn was ultimately not so much a romantic love, as it is recognizing a peer who saw the bravery she was capable of if given the chance by her culture and society.
I saw a bit of both here.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eowyn's character towards Aragorn came accross as just some thirsty middle of nowhere crushed ass lady. Meh, story was fine as is. If anything I would have been happy had Aragorn not even given hints of liking here to make his character more of a one true love type of thing