• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'It's Christmas time! It's hot tub time!" sings Frank Sinatra. At least, it sounds like him. With an easy swing, cheery bonhomie, and understated brass and string flourishes, this could just about pass as some long lost Sinatra demo. Even the voice – that rich tone once described as "all legato and regrets" – is eerily familiar, even if it does lurch between keys and, at times, sounds as if it was recorded at the bottom of a swimming pool.

The song in question not a genuine track, but a convincing fake created by "research and deployment company" OpenAI, whose Jukebox project uses artificial intelligence to generate music, complete with lyrics, in a variety of genres and artist styles. Along with Sinatra, they've done what are known as "deepfakes" of Katy Perry, Elvis, Simon and Garfunkel, 2Pac, Céline Dion and more. Having trained the model using 1.2m songs scraped from the web, complete with the corresponding lyrics and metadata, it can output raw audio several minutes long based on whatever you feed it. Input, say, Queen or Dolly Parton or Mozart, and you'll get an approximation out the other end.

"As a piece of engineering, it's really impressive," says Dr Matthew Yee-King, an electronic musician, researcher and academic at Goldsmiths. (OpenAI declined to be interviewed.) "They break down an audio signal into a set of lexemes of music – a dictionary if you like – at three different layers of time, giving you a set of core fragments that is sufficient to reconstruct the music that was fed in. The algorithm can then rearrange these fragments, based on the stimulus you input. So, give it some Ella Fitzgerald for example, and it will find and piece together the relevant bits of the 'dictionary' to create something in her musical space."

"Having David Bowie sing whatever you like – it's an extraordinary power and responsibility" - Mat Dryhurst

More at:
www.theguardian.com

'It's the screams of the damned!' The eerie AI world of deepfake music

Artificial intelligence is being used to create new songs seemingly performed by Frank Sinatra and other dead stars. ‘Deepfakes’ are cute tricks – but they could change pop for ever

Use AI to generate new thread if old

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really interested in this until they start using it for real goofy shit.

Like Frank Sinatra singing Thriller.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_p5zidieBwX1ruvkfxo5_r1_500.gif

tumblr_orwt17krsq1rrkahjo7_540.gif

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
That doesn't sound anything like Sinatra to me (and yes, I listened to the Sinatra one).

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
People laugh at how goofy this sounds, because well...it does, but it's an impressive demonstration of emergent technologies and a window into a future that'll come about far faster than most expect.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, but creepy.

Can we just let the dead people rest in peace? Its like we are trying to bring the death every year or so with technology in a way.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
I couldn't listen to more than twenty five seconds of the Sinatra one before every hair on my body stood up on end and I pressed the mute button as quickly as possible.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
It's neat tech, surely it will get better.

I also like when they let AI write new lyrics for imitation songs, like what Funk Turkey does with AC/DC here:

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate this sort of stuff. This and deep fakes have too much dangerous potential.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Eh, I'm fine with it, it's just mechanical imitation.

If we made a deep-learning AI with the intent of having it become a musician, and it arrived at a sound identical to Elvis "organically" rather than being guided to it, would it still be an issue for people?

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
While I agree with others that's it's not quite there, it's still a solid basis for this technology. There will always be demand for these great singers, and thus technology will keep progressing until it's at a satisfactory level for the general public.

It'd be interesting to see how it plays out, legally speaking. Could anyone just make an ai generated Michael Jackson song? Would it be limited to companies, and would they have to pay royalties to the estate for basing its ai off the deceased?

Crazy to think about.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Man some of those are damn creepy sounding. Almost like messed up singers from early recording days and the recordings are all garbled and shit.