• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Does anyone know if ticketed Phantom Draft and Keeper Draft pool from the same players or different?

If the latter I'm thinking Keeper Draft might be easier if you played seriously because people are rare drafting. I know I'm rare drafting, I got two $10 cards passed to me.

Also I really want to know if drafting in a tournament means you pass packs between the other players and not random ones. If so that's the ultimate mode.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Yeah the client going off buy orders in the sell screen is garbage. You have to go outside the client to sell properly that's crazy. I don't even know what that's going to do to prices because it has to compete against the buy screens sell orders... I don't know it just seems crazy.

I'm selling some stuff now in the hopes that over the weekend prices crash as more people buy the game and start listing their cards.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pauper in MTG may have started as a way for folks to play on the cheap but it has it's own diverse meta now. You take out large chunks of cards and new strategies appear.

Sure, and in 25 years a pauper tournament in Artifact might make sense. Right now it just seems like an excuse to take all the good cards out of the game for no real reason, lmao.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Phew... finished my first casual phantom draft that I started last night after a few runs with the event. Went 5-1... I thought I had a rather poor deck, and at least 3 of my wins were killing their Ancient. So good, so much back and forth.

I may be down for the tournament on Saturday but the time for the Friday one is during work for me. But I want to say thank you for the effort from those organizing to build up our little scene.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
this game really highlights the need for Animal Crossing as a palette cleansing chill mode

matches get INTENSE

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I got one of my friends who plays magic damn near religiously addicted to this now too lol

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely benefit from taking a break every once and awhile and playing Spyro or something chill. Artifact requires a level of focus that's both addictive and draining.

Sep 14, 2018
I've been looking at opponent's decks decks post game in the ticket ladder and I've yet to see anyone other than me running 40 cards/9 items, it's like everyone just wants to try everything so they go way over minimum. I wonder how long till they realize that works against them more than it benefits.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I've tried constructed a few times, and this game is just not fun in constructed, feels extremely pay to win.
I assume the draft modes get rid of that a bit and evens the playing field? Is phantom draft the way to go?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've tried constructed a few times, and this game is just not fun in constructed, feels extremely pay to win.
I assume the draft modes get rid of that a bit and evens the playing field? Is phantom draft the way to go?
Give it a try, casual phantom draft is free!

I've been a fan of limited over constructed for years now.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, is there a CCG that isn't lol?

I wouldn't say that. Even as a kid with limited budget, I had a blast going to local tournaments and theory-crafting decks. The ability to sell/buy/trade in Artifact is a big contributor to what I believe will make constructed as enjoyable as physical card games for me.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't say that. Even as a kid with limited budget, I had a blast going to local tournaments and theory-crafting decks. The ability to sell/buy/trade in Artifact is a big contributor to what I believe will make constructed as enjoyable as physical card games for me.

Yeah, but that's different from being P2W.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
tfw when you trick your opponent into going all in to defend one lane when you've secretly set up lethal in another

so good

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
In my first 10 packs I pulled a Drow and she goes for $16.00 or so in the marketplace. Not bad. Axe goes for around $26.00. Drow is really good though. I am getting better as I play the bots. I can now beat the bots consistently with the red/green which I couldn't do yesterday - kept losing yesterday.

I love that I can resell my extra cards right to the marketplace through the client itself. The more I play this game, the more it's becoming my favorite digital card game. I think it was smart for Valve to model this after physical TCGs with the economy of one. It just may take a while for people to get used to the idea - plus I'm positive this game will have updates that'll expand its feature set as well as progression which will make the value of the game seem more welcoming for people afraid of its monetization model.

I hope Valve sticks to its word about not modifying cards all that much. I kind of wish they would do more of a ban/restricted list than modifying cards outright. Cheating Death may be the first card to be modified though. I don't think it'll be that bad when more cards come out that can target improvements.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Enough Magic! certainly isn't the best card in the game, but it is easily the best card in the game to win with lmao. Best fun-of investment you can make in Artifact imo.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
0-4 today in the precon event. Tried 2 games each with the Mono-R and UR decks. Wish my Axe could have matched up with an enemy hero at least once!

Need to rebuild my understanding of the game from 0 I guess.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
In my first 10 packs I pulled a Drow and she goes for $16.00 or so in the marketplace. Not bad. Axe goes for around $26.00. Drow is really good though. I am getting better as I play the bots. I can now beat the bots consistently with the red/green which I couldn't do yesterday - kept losing yesterday.

I love that I can resell my extra cards right to the marketplace through the client itself. The more I play this game, the more it's becoming my favorite digital card game. I think it was smart for Valve to model this after physical TCGs with the economy of one. It just may take a while for people to get used to the idea - plus I'm positive this game will have updates that'll expand its feature set as well as progression which will make the value of the game seem more welcoming for people afraid of its monetization model.
With anything above some cents I would strongly recommend selling outside the game and on the steam client. It will take a little longer but in the case of the top cards you'll be losing out on a few bucks if you don't.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
With anything above some cents I would strongly recommend selling outside the game and on the steam client. It will take a little longer but in the case of the top cards you'll be losing out on a few bucks if you don't.

Thanks for that information - I'll do that from now on. I sold all my excess cards and I don't think I had anything that was worth much in that category, but for next time I'm going to keep that in mind.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was about to win and I miscasted At Any Cost and wiped my board and lost.

I feel so stupid. lol

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Thanks for that information - I'll do that from now on. I sold all my excess cards and I don't think I had anything that was worth much in that category, but for next time I'm going to keep that in mind.
For instance axe is selling for $26.40 right now but it'll make you sell it at the highest buy price when you go through the client which is $23.60. You could manually list it at $26.30 and it would probably sell instantly. But yeah 3 or 5 cents isn't going to do too much for the lowest stuff.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wish replays were a thing right now, as I just had a game that really drives my point home about the arrow RNG not really mattering that much and more about how you play around it.

I had taken a tower in another lane already, and in lane 1 the tower was low. I had two heroes in the lane, but they were blocked. Both me and my opponent had a lot of creeps there. On the last turn, the tower was so low, and I got bad RNG on the arrows: only one creep unblocked and an empty space in the middle. So this part of the board looked something like this.

C = creep
D = Drow ranger
0 = empty

C 0 0 C C C
------------------
C C 0 C C D

I played Rebel Decoy in the open spot. It got a right arrow, and even if it did get a straight arrow, it wouldn't have been enough to win. I switched it for Drow, Drow kept the same combat target. However the creep to the left of they was hitting the tower. I also had Juke, so I switched Drow and the unblocked creep. Drow is hitting tower now, my opponent has nothing to stop it, the game ends at combat phase, I win. The arrows being unlucky basically meant nothing.

The only RNG in the game that is bullshit right now is Cheating Death in my opinion, and the main reason for that is that the options for condemning improvements are so limited, especially if you aren't running red. It's not like other RNG where it's "50% chance a helpful thing will happen", it's "50% chance your enemy's damage, including piercing damage, means absolutely nothing (or not enough)".

I can't remember off the top of my head: are condemns still affected by Cheating Death?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Man, the monetization thing really does suck doesn't it. Basically all the $20 entrance fee gets you is the casual draft mode.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the monetization thing really does suck doesn't it. Basically all the $20 entrance fee gets you is the casual draft mode.
You get two pre-made "base" decks of 54 cards each ("5 heroes, 9 items, and 40 other cards") and 10 sealed packs of cards, which each include 12 random cards, one of which is guaranteed to be "rare."

108 + 120 cards and 5 tickets

WTF
So what do you want for $20??? All the cards and a $100 steam credt?

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017

Yup it does. Card game players will praise it as being cheaper than other card games but they are so used to being ripped off.

I hope eventually they transition to a cosmetic economy and all cards will be pennies at the most.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, first Keeper Draft, 5-0. Was a decent deck. Elusive and agile and I love the buy phase shop in this. Such a huge added dynamic.
https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJUIAo30kvAFABxy4XQIj3QEBCUUCA0dXAgIBLAEqAQYLBwoSgyEBCgYKFm0B

8d6y87G.jpg

Whatever my MMR is, it's probably real low probably but damn if this isn't fun and all the games were real close. Was siding towards collecting rares too.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Yup it does. Card game players will praise it as being cheaper than other card games but they are so used to being ripped off.

I hope eventually they transition to a cosmetic economy and all cards will be pennies at the most.
There are 310 cards total in the game according to the wiki. 27 of them are currently over a dollar on the market and getting cheaper every hour.

A huge majority of the cards are already pennies.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Do we know how exactly they plan to approach the market side of things on mobile when those versions hit? Can't see Apple being happy with money flowing outside their ecosystem.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
There are 310 cards total in the game according to the wiki. 27 of them are currently over a dollar on the market and getting cheaper every hour.

A huge majority of the cards are already pennies.
But you're still at a very large disadvantage unless you pay for the more expensive cards, and you are likely to never have those more expensive cards until you pay for them.

If we're not going to get F2P style rewards, why not just give us access to the whole game at $60 like any other game?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
The Artifact launch has showed me how many people don't play these games for the gameplay but for the experience of building a collection of virtual objects. There should be a subgenre of games for all the whiners called "virtual collection builders".

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The Artifact launch has showed me how many people don't play these games for the gameplay but for the experience of building a collection of virtual objects. There should be a subgenre of games for all the whiners called "virtual collection builders".
What are you talking about? I want access to the collection so I can actually play the game.

I'm shocked people are so defensive about this. It seems like pretty obvious downside to me. It's not like I'm asking for them to monetize it any less than most other games.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't completely get the hate for the monetization model, although I think a lot of it might be coming from misconceptions and Valve not advertising features such as casual constructed and draft, especially draft. You can always play the game to play the game, which is what it's meant for. It kind of annoys me that playing the game because it's fun isn't good enough for many people, and that a progression system is critical to them.

Although this model is very different from other digital CCGs, and in a good way IMO. The $20 for the game is basically like buying a MtG starter pack. The prices for card packs are quite fair, and you get a lot out of them. You can easily get individual cards from market. Valve is treating this similarly to a physical CCG rather than something like Hearthstone. The Expert modes that cost tickets are what can result in you winning more tickets or packs. Bottom line, the game isn't about grinding, it's about playing because it's fun, just kind Dota 2 was before MMR, Battle passes, or Dota Plus existed.

Speaking of Dota Plus, beta free copy people do in fact get the free month just like everyone else. Check your inventory notifications in Dota and the item to add the free month is there.