• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally opened my 10 packs but I have no idea how to build a proper/playable deck. I did pull one Drow Ranger, so that's neat I guess.

Send help.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the game so far. Got Annihilation, 2 Kanna's and an At Any Cost. Those 4 cards got me the cost of the game back which is awesome. Put up some cheaper cards overnight as well that sold so I'll probably pick up some packs when I play later. Really love the ability to sell cards for real money.

Built a deck with no real strategy in mind yet, but I'm winning games with it. Looking forward to learning the game more and doing some drafts. Used to love going to LGS and drafting MTG.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Cheating death would be okay if there were more cards to take care of improvements. As it is right now I think something needs to be done about it though.

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's honestly an enormous amount of RNG in this game, even for a card game. Opening positions can be completely unbalanced. And creep spawns being random feels extremely bad IMO. No mulligan is a strange decision that leads to a really high percentage of dead turns early on.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question... why is it telling me these are errors with my deck?
Ziqnv5d.png

does Meepo count as 5 heroes or something?

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't relate to a lot of the early criticism of Artifact at all.

The economy and marketplace were the reason I became interested in the game in the first place. Digital card games should have always had more flexibility than physical. Not being able to trade, sell, and buy cards is simply inexcusable. The design decision to model Artifact's economy after physical card games is perhaps its greatest strength.

The obsession for carrots on a stick is even more bewildering. I'm finding it difficult to say much more without coming off as insulting to those that that need it. The game should be the reason why you play it. I remember similar arguments when Left 4 Dead was released, and 600+ hours later I'm still left wondering.

And finally you have the embarrassing crowd of people that believe anything that isn't a single-player story game from Valve is a joke.

Many years ago I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic: The Gathering very competitively. Artifact is the first digital card game that has caught my interest.

I've only played ~50 hours thus far, but there are some very smart design decisions that address common card game issues:

Equipment and Stat-modifying cards are often very questionable cards. They require a creature on the board, and will often lead to negative advantage when the opponent destroys said creature, along with your equipment. Artifact addresses this in a number of ways.

• Item cards are in their own deck so you're not penalizing your main deck by including them.
  • Modify is a permanent change that persists through death.
  • Heroes come back with items and already-stated modify changes.

In a lot of card games there is a very delicate ratio balance between creatures, lands, and/or other cards. If you draw too many creatures you're left without many options. If you draw too few creatures you can't establish any field presence. Draw too many or few lands and you're equally left in a terrible situation.

• Much like Hearthstone, Artifact addresses the land issue by automatically increasing your many each turn.
  • Field presence in Artifact isn't completely reliant on what you draw. Heroes begin in-play in all lanes, and will come back after death. Additionally, melee creep will always give you some presence each turn.
These design decisions aren't always better, but ultimately I feel here it creates a very well-designed card game that rarely leaves you hopeless from the starting hand.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
There's honestly an enormous amount of RNG in this game, even for a card game. Opening positions can be completely unbalanced. And creep spawns being random feels extremely bad IMO. No mulligan is a strange decision that leads to a really high percentage of dead turns early on.

I've had two games on the bounce with a less than ideal initial board state which left my opponent making some arrogant moves to kill my heroes early. Once they were dead it basically gave me free reign to take a lane and with Dark Seer Surge another to where ever I wanted it to go. The game state is adaptable if you don't panic. :)

In other news: 3 draft games on the bounce, 2 pre constructed... All wins! Woo! Playing board games and card games for nearly 2 years is starting to pay off. :D

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Shouldn't be a problem though, iirc there's no upper limit on decks in this? Edit: Oh there is? I assumed it was like MTG where you can bring a 300cards self milling deck nonsense.

Spykupp

Aug 22, 2018
I always try to run the bare minimum amount of cards 40 cards and 9 items. leads to more consistency

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was no upper limit on deck size. Not that you would want to make stupidly huge decks anyway.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Oh right. There is no limit.

Yeah, I dunno. Try removing the heroes and adding new ones and see what happens? Then maybe you can add those back?

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
I always try to run the bare minimum amount of cards 40 cards and 9 items. leads to more consistency

What this man said- I had a friend who went to the European Finals of Netrunner and you'd see maybe a handful of decks which went over the minimum. You want consist draw and 3 cards in each deck (some exceptions mind you).

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, improvement spam early in the match is super op rn.
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head condemn improvements are Smash Their Defenses! (red, 3 mana, common), Demagicking Maul (item, 5g), Apotheosis Blade (item, 25g), Obliterating Orb (consumable item, 10g), and Raze (red, 5 mana, rare).

That's not a whole lot of options, and if you aren't running red your only options are those three items.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a difference between the black pathing cards and the green, grassy pathing cards? I'm not really sure what the UI is trying to tell me with that.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I knew it before, but I just remembered there no graveyard mechanics (yet at least). Takes out some fun strats, and I spose eliminates some super annoying ones.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Damage not overflowing to the ancient after a destroyed tower is annoying. Having a Tower at 5 hp and you're doing 50 knowing only 5 of it matters hurts. I know the game is new but how often are ancient wins a thing?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping to graduate from those today. I beat the tutorial, but can't beat the standard bot matches yet. Q_Q
I've found the bots are actually really decent. You get some good value from your purchase just for that imo.

Are you struggling with a Blue/Black deck? I've finally managed to win a few matches with it but I'm not sure how you avoid getting destroyed early game.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Damage not overflowing to the ancient after a destroyed tower is annoying. Having a Tower at 5 hp and you're doing 50 knowing only 5 of it matters hurts. I know the game is new but how often are ancient wins a thing?
I think it's supposed to be a kind of otk deterrent because people seem to always hate those.

In my experience it's much more common to get two towers instead of an ancient kill but it's not super rare or anything.

Oct 25, 2017

I've played for around 40 hours and I have seen around two I think. You can build some decks that can easily do over 80 damage a round though.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

Two tower wins are much more common. If damage could bleed over to ancient, people would just quintuple down on one lane and not worry about the others and just win extremely quickly that way. It's best that it doesn't. Also, Ancient does have a shield on the same turn that the tower gets destroyed. This is you use any cards that damage towers and destroy the tower during that action phase before the combat phase.

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've had two games on the bounce with a less than ideal initial board state which left my opponent making some arrogant moves to kill my heroes early. Once they were dead it basically gave me free reign to take a lane and with Dark Seer Surge another to where ever I wanted it to go. The game state is adaptable if you don't panic. :)

In other news: 3 draft games on the bounce, 2 pre constructed... All wins! Woo! Playing board games and card games for nearly 2 years is starting to pay off. :D

Everything can be adapted to, that doesn't mean it's perfect design. A combination of multiple different RNG factors which might not be bad individually can make games feel very bad, especially in a 30+ minute card game which has no progression system.

I've been playing Magic casually and competitively for at least 15 years. I'm not panicking based on my opening position.

But when you start with -8 damage to your tower, losing in multiple lanes due to random creep and hero spawns, 1 or 2 dead turns due to bad card draw and no mulligan, etc. you're going to end up losing more then you would like. And it's a very frustrating way to lose.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Even worse:If you hav$ 30 damage on board and a tower at 2 hp and use a spell to kill said tower before the combat, the resulting ancient wont take damage from the combat in that round.

Double killing a single lane doesnt seem common but its a legit win condition that ive seen happen in streams. Just threathening the double kill seems enough to change the oponents game plan

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
It's what side of the board you're on. It's supposed to be dire or radiant from the dota map.

So no difference and it's not important. Just cosmetic.

Thanks! I forgot about the dire/radiant thing from Dota and it seems kinda needless here. It made me think there was some different kind of pathing happening.

I was also a bit disappointed the first time that happened, but it might be too easy to pile all your resources in one lane and win without that bottleneck.

Oct 25, 2017
I've found the bots are actually really decent. You get some good value from your purchase just for that imo.

Are you struggling with a Blue/Black deck? I've finally managed to win a few matches with it but I'm not sure how you avoid getting destroyed early game.
That's how it goes with control decks. You're going to get stomped early but your late game cards will win it for you. It's all about surviving until you can combo off or just blast them.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018

This is my one qualm with the game right now. I feel like I'm not controlling my own fate. Too much RNG.
Its still fun, but I'm not taking as seriously because I don't feel like there is much strategy once the game gets rolling.

Question... why is it telling me these are errors with my deck?
Ziqnv5d.png

does Meepo count as 5 heroes or something?

This is actually a straight up bug. Any time it "reloads" a deck I was editting, it shows errors.
If you hit "Load" and just select your same deck again, it'll fix itself.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I want a buyback mechanic. Like after the shop for like 20 coins or something you can deploy a hero that's a few turns out or something but next time it gets knocked out add another turn to it's respawn.

I'm not sure what it would do but itd make it more dota-y!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Won my first match against another person(I think?) in the gauntlet with the Meepo Blue/Red deck. Thought I was a goner when I misplayed Meepo and moved him lanes too early, but ended up being able to recover by using Axe's Berserkers call and have him attack the neighbors which included the tower.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head condemn improvements are Smash Their Defenses! (red, 3 mana, common), Demagicking Maul (item, 5g), Apotheosis Blade (item, 25g), Obliterating Orb (consumable item, 10g), and Raze (red, 5 mana, rare).

That's not a whole lot of options, and if you aren't running red your only options are those three items.
Dirty Deeds is also a good way to counter improvement spam - cheap and fairly high damage directly towards the tower.