• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I've never read the books and know nothing about them, but that trailer was almost hilariously generic. This is coming at least five years late to the YA fad, which already had many casualties.
Most certainly a write-off by Disney.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean... I hope kids like it.

A Wrinkle in Time left me pretty traumatized, and this movie looks like its baby brother
5aa2a60728cfbed2088b457e

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Loved the books as a kid, what the fuck is this shit

Literally all you have to do is adapt the first book verbatim and boom, you have a decent movie. How fucking hard is it not to start making up some bullshit for no reason?

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair it's only the first book where he's definitely the villain. After that he struggles between trying to redeem himself and relapsing to his assholish super-criminal ways, and that's what makes it interesting
Yeah, I really don't like villains as protagonists, it's really not my thing. But on top of that I remember the kid just being so full of himself that I couldn't just get past the first few pages. It's like if they made a book with Draco Malfoy as the protagonist or something. The trailer looked fine though, the kid doesn't seem like such a tryhard douche in there.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember which quarter of which book I read but I remember this kid being an insufferable asshole. This seems like something completely different.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Great, so they completely threw away the plot from the books. Gonna watch a clip of Butler fighting the troll and ignore the rest.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this trailer implying Artemis actually knows how to fight? He's supposed to be horrible at anything actually physical in the earlier books.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Salivating over Capitalism and Suits: The Movie.

God damn, if I were a drinker, I would need some whisky after this.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Directed by Kenneth Branagh?

He's a more than competent director. If there's an issue with the movie, I can't imagine it being the director's fault.

And this is my first time seeing the name Ferdia. Cool name.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never read Artemis Fowl, but this doesn't look very good.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Slow day at work so I read the first book this morning (perks of working at a library). Pretty okay. Thought it was funny Butler's pistol was identified as a Sig Sauer in a kid's book. Also the library copy was a 2001 first edition so it had "Soon to be a major motion picture" and "Enter for a chance to win a walk-on role" at the beginning and end.

Trailer ain't great.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the first three books as a kid and really liked them. Really sad that this looks so fucking bad. Artemis is supposed to be an evil little shit.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Growing up, I liked the first three Artemis Fowl books a bit more than Harry Potter, even if they lacked the polish. Trailer looks cool, glad they kept the Irish accents actually!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that was awful lol

I read the first book when I was a kid and thought it was kind of lame, but there was a charm to it that is just totally absent from that trailer

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like something that was made back in 2005 when Harry Potter Mania was in full force. What's the point of it now?

Oct 30, 2017
I've stewed on this trailer for 5 hours now.

Fuck Disney for this movie. First al the changes from the source and then just completely throwing away the fun story from the book. I hope this bombs worse than A Wrinkle in Time.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel so bad for Colin Farrell. His career really never recovered after Alexander. Now he's stuck doing shit like this.

Oct 31, 2017
Looks generic as fuck and of course there's a generic rap song thrown in there too

Is Disney ever going to put in effort into their writing?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo the positive quality of the first three books, and I'd even say the rest of the series remained decent despite it going to some odd places in the end and always focusing on a certain pixie who if probably getting a random reveal with no buildup.

This is just...robs everything in the series.

• Artemis is a straight up perfect good guy here, as opposed to being the villain who was all brains behind the scenes and that's all.
  • The whole dynamic with his mother is lost as she no longer has to serve as the moral tether, all while pushing all the villainy solely on his father who had been attempting to move away from that life.
  • No more Butler conflict with Artemis' methods over time and helping develop the kid's empathy. Just additional muscle to apparently someone who doesn't even really need it.
  • Julius Root recast robs Holly the still relevant issue of sexism in the workplace. Sure, maybe there will be some light 'we women have it hard but are just as good/better if we stick together" thing, but there was something raw in how Julius was helping Holly how he could while making it very clear the system is by design against her. With by the end Holly being her own rescuer and having that empowerment in the face of terrible odds
  • All the overly flashy stuff kind of robs the whole secret fantastical in a drab, dying world. Now we have space ships in plain view/day.
Can just go on. There's nothing there behind the flash. Not to mention it looks like two different movies mashed into one, as it's certainly the case with (loosely) book material, which never bodes well in these adaptations.

I think a major mistake was live action in the first place, as well as not trusting the audience with this generic, focus tested direction. The character Artemis itself is a huge barrier, but they could have focused more on Holly if they wanted a role model poster child to front the film.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Slow day at work so I read the first book this morning (perks of working at a library). Pretty okay. Thought it was funny Butler's pistol was identified as a Sig Sauer in a kid's book. Also the library copy was a 2001 first edition so it had "Soon to be a major motion picture" and "Enter for a chance to win a walk-on role" at the beginning and end.

Trailer ain't great.
There are people born and grown to adulthood since that chance was offered.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Yea no you lost me. I know I read the books long ago but I know they didn't have this vibe to them and that Artemis had a very unlikable shitty attitude about him which is why I liked him.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I guess that, now we've got a competent adaptation of His Dark Materials, another turn of the Millennium series had to take its place as the sacrificial lamb to the Hollywood Machine...

Oct 28, 2017
Directed by Kenneth Branagh?

He's a more than competent director. If there's an issue with the movie, I can't imagine it being the director's fault.

And this is my first time seeing the name Ferdia. Cool name.

And the screenplay was written by Conor McPherson who's a great Irish playwright from what I gather. Really seems like there was a lot of talent involved, so the result is all the more disappointing

I guess there was a lot of pressure from Disney to make it family-friendly

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that looks awful.

Edit: Reading through plot synopses of the novels on Wikipedia, what in tarnation is this series. Spoilers for the last book:

Opal Koboi opens the Berserker's Gate, a portal located on the Fowl Estate, in which dwell the spirits of fairy soldiers, the last victims of the Battle of Taillte, the final blow in the war that sent the Fairy People underground. Artemis, after his last session of being cured of Atlantis Complex, rushes to stop her along with Holly and Butler. They fail, and Opal opens the first gate, which releases the spirits of the warriors who begin to possess other people and animals around them, including corpses, animals, Juliet Butler, and Artemis's toddler brothers, Myles and Beckett. After escaping Opal and the possessed beings, they are helped by Mulch Diggums, and they attempt to stop Opal from opening the second gate, which destroys every human on the surface. While doing so, they battle (reluctantly) Artemis's possessed toddler brother Myles, who reveals to them Opal's plan after the fairy warrior spirit left his body. While they fight, Opal has also sent a dangerous fake present to Foaly's wife to make him suffer. Her plan fails because Caballine masters martial arts and Foaly comes to save her from goblins that Opal sent as well. Artemis and his friends fail to destroy the second gate with a laser he created, and Mulch saves them from possessed pirate corpses by riding the oldest troll in the world and knocking out most of them, causing the spirits of fairy warriors to leave their bodies to the afterlife. They then enter Fowl Manor where Artemis decides to sacrifice himself in order to stop Opal from opening the second gate. Foaly sends the clone of Opal that she created in the 4th book, and using her hand he is able to make the clone close the gates since the magic recognizes the clone's DNA as Opal's. Everyone in that area, including the spirits, immediately go to heaven, excluding Artemis, whose humanity and sheer willpower enables him to stay on Earth. Six months later, with the saliva that Artemis produced when he kissed Holly, they extract his DNA and make a clone of Artemis Fowl, which is then taken to the now overgrown gate. Artemis's spirit then takes control of the clone and he is alive once more.

I... what???
I don't know what the fuck I read....

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Disney just taking the title and character names while tossing out everything else. Why even call it Artemis Fowl at this point?

Oct 27, 2017
It's the Golden Compass movie all over again, I'll basically just pretend this is a thing that doesn't even exist.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i really enjoyed the books and I see nothing here that interests me.

Like its been said before but this appears to really be an artemis fowl movie in name alone

dissapointing

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that, now we've got a competent adaptation of His Dark Materials, another turn of the Millennium series had to take its place as the sacrificial lamb to the Hollywood Machine...
Eragon tier adaptation.
Really does scream mid to late 2000s YA fantasy adaptations greenlighted in Harry Potter's wake. Eragon, The Golden Compass, Percy Jackson, Cirque du Freak, etc. None of which were even successes anyway.
Since then we've had a second wave of YA more romance/sci-fi heavy after Hunger Games/Twilight, which also has come and gone with plenty of flops.

So this movie is at least 10 years out of date on release.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Really does scream mid to late 2000s YA fantasy adaptations greenlighted in Harry Potter's wake. Eragon, The Golden Compass, Percy Jackson, Cirque du Freak, etc. None of which were even successes anyway.
Since then we've had a second wave of YA more romance/sci-fi heavy after Hunger Games/Twilight, which also has come and gone with plenty of flops.

So this movie is at least 10 years out of date on release.

The Cirque fu freak movie was such a crushing disappointment. It unfortunately fell for the Harry Potter AND twilight trap but ended worse than both.
CDF could easily be a show on a streaming service these days, but that's unlikely to happen. 😔

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do the books hold up on a reread as an adult?

If he keeps partnering with Martin McDonaugh he'll be fine
I occasionally go through a reread when I want something super light, and surprisingly the first few do. Artemis perhaps gets increasingly grating, but that's to be expected with the whole smarmy genius villain schtick.

It's also nice to recognize the non-subtle equality and environmental messages.
Yup, straight trash. The only interesting part of this series is that the main character is an asshole.

This should have been Oceans 11 with fairies, instead its a knock off Die Hard.
The sci-fi magic society thing was a bit different iirc at the time with a healthy dose of that heist/kidnapping angle, so I'd say it had a little more outside the main subversion.