• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
So they must be re-imagining the series? This is nothing like the first book.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its hard for me to fully hate something.

I fully hate this.

Why.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried reading the first book many years ago (surely at least 15?) and the kid seemed like such an insufferable prick that I just couldn't go through it. Is the series supposed to be good?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bombadis Fowl

It almost feels like a fake trailer, like a parody of generic, mediocre kids movies that all look and feel the same.

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that looks awful.

Edit: Reading through plot synopses of the novels on Wikipedia, what in tarnation is this series. Spoilers for the last book:

Opal Koboi opens the Berserker's Gate, a portal located on the Fowl Estate, in which dwell the spirits of fairy soldiers, the last victims of the Battle of Taillte, the final blow in the war that sent the Fairy People underground. Artemis, after his last session of being cured of Atlantis Complex, rushes to stop her along with Holly and Butler. They fail, and Opal opens the first gate, which releases the spirits of the warriors who begin to possess other people and animals around them, including corpses, animals, Juliet Butler, and Artemis's toddler brothers, Myles and Beckett. After escaping Opal and the possessed beings, they are helped by Mulch Diggums, and they attempt to stop Opal from opening the second gate, which destroys every human on the surface. While doing so, they battle (reluctantly) Artemis's possessed toddler brother Myles, who reveals to them Opal's plan after the fairy warrior spirit left his body. While they fight, Opal has also sent a dangerous fake present to Foaly's wife to make him suffer. Her plan fails because Caballine masters martial arts and Foaly comes to save her from goblins that Opal sent as well. Artemis and his friends fail to destroy the second gate with a laser he created, and Mulch saves them from possessed pirate corpses by riding the oldest troll in the world and knocking out most of them, causing the spirits of fairy warriors to leave their bodies to the afterlife. They then enter Fowl Manor where Artemis decides to sacrifice himself in order to stop Opal from opening the second gate. Foaly sends the clone of Opal that she created in the 4th book, and using her hand he is able to make the clone close the gates since the magic recognizes the clone's DNA as Opal's. Everyone in that area, including the spirits, immediately go to heaven, excluding Artemis, whose humanity and sheer willpower enables him to stay on Earth. Six months later, with the saliva that Artemis produced when he kissed Holly, they extract his DNA and make a clone of Artemis Fowl, which is then taken to the now overgrown gate. Artemis's spirit then takes control of the clone and he is alive once more.

I... what???

As someone who loved the first few books and never got around to reading the last couple... can someone who read them all tell me if this was as batshit to read as it sounds?
Also wtf, is there really
a romance between Artemis and Holly? Wasn't she an adult in fairy years or am I misremembering?

On topic... damn that trailer is a disappointment, what is even happening? Why not the first book? And I hate to insult child actors but Artemis is so bland lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I thought this plot seemed strange/different.

Artemis, while certainly the protagonist of series, was most certainly the "villain" in the first book.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Artemis x Holly was heavily implied if not outright explored in the books (can't remember super well, we're talking ~15 years ago)

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
This is not only skipping the setup of the first book, but it's a really weird mish-mash of various elements in the sequels. I can recognise bits, but they're in ways that really shouldn't go together. The biggest lynchpin for me, I think, is gonna be whether or not the mind-wipe is in play. If it is, then they could at least have a version of the first book's events having played out as backstory, while getting straight to the save the world stuff as they so desire. If not, then they're likely going right past Artemis being a villain protagonist who has to develop over time

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I hated the Artemis Fowl books, even I remember that Artemis started off as an asshole villain. Why would they even bother adapting the series if they weren't going to commit to at least that aspect of his character?

Oct 27, 2017
This film was never going to be great, but that was astoundingly bad. It seemingly ignores the entire plot of the first book.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading the 1st book and liking it
I totally don't remember the father character though

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they rolled the dice on an unknown child actor and lost big. Kid's got the presence of a bobblehead and looks completely lost next to much more experienced actors.

Maybe now studios will actually stop trying to make the next Harry Potter series of films.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried reading the first book many years ago (surely at least 15?) and the kid seemed like such an insufferable prick that I just couldn't go through it. Is the series supposed to be good?
Well yeah the kid is the villain, obviosuly he acts like one. The first few books are great.
lmao
My brain came to a screeching halt at "Mulch Diggums"
If you knew what Mulch Diggums can do, your brain would do a backflip lol .

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Wow

Looks like hot shit

I love the books, but this is a travesty

Artemis is a cocky shit head genius who can outplay anyone, not this garbage.

Ill watch it on VOD and be disappointed

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Are the books good? I remember getting the first one way back then because it looked pretty, but never actually reading it.
No. It's popularity rests on staring an asshole too-smart-for-his-own-good rich kid in the era of classic hero Harry Potter. Without that contrast, the book has nothing going for it.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
As if they weren't missing the mark enough, they show Artemis to be physically adept as well. Kid was scrawny as fuck and hated physical exertion, which made it all the more impactful when he put his ass on the line

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
Are the books good? I remember getting the first one way back then because it looked pretty, but never actually reading it.

First 4 all tie well together and make for a good ending point. 5th one was unnecessery but ok enough to my teen self as far as I remember, the rest are trash.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The only way to do Artemis Fowl right (and to make it distinct) is to show him as the villain who is a complete psychopath until about 70% of the way into the movie.

edit: Watched the trailer.. oof that is terrible

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved the first few books and never got around to reading the last couple... can someone who read them all tell me if this was as batshit to read as it sounds?
Also wtf, is there really
a romance between Artemis and Holly? Wasn't she an adult in fairy years or am I misremembering?

On topic... damn that trailer is a disappointment, what is even happening? Why not the first book? And I hate to insult child actors but Artemis is so bland lol.

In one of the previous books, I think 3rd from the last, there was some time shenanigans that made Holly younger for a spell. There was a bit of romantic tension between the two at that time, but Artemis being Artemis fucked it up. I forgot how, but he had lied to his friends about something to achieve their mission. She was turned back to normal by the end and basically told him he screwed his chance.

The kiss in the last book was platonic. He kissed her forehead.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
I know nothing about the books, but I bet my 11 year old son would enjoy this.
Looks about on par with The Kid Who Would Be King, and will probably do as well.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
It's Disney, they're not going to make a ruthless criminal mastermind prodigy qyasi-psychopath an actual ruthless criminal mastermind prodigy quasi-psychopath, there are families watching. :P Though WHO KNOWS, maybe these trailers are intentionally deceptive. That would be hilarious, but also probably way too bold and non-characteristically uncouth of Disney to do.

Still, I really hope this doesn't turn out like so many other re-molded and watered down YA adaptations. Like Alex Rider. :p Sure, source material matters. But I think Artemis Fowl has the basis for something with genuine sustenance if approached correctly.

Artemis Fowl was always a little edgy, but the movie, or at least, its marketing at present, (which basically consists of two trailers -- the teaser that came out two years ago, and this one), definitely seems to want you to be believe that it offers a different kind of edge that favors action and streamlining over the original insular, YA hard boiled mystery mind game stew that was sometimes hit, sometimes miss, but fun. If this wants to be fun, it's certainly trying its hand at something a little more accessible to general audiences, while also maintaining a distinct visual design -- I just hope it works, and that ace screenwriter they got pulls the whole family sci-fi fantasy character-writing thing off.

One aspect that, again, was always a divisive and core part of the books was Fowl's heartless nature towards his 'enemies', but in the first book we are shown that his moral/emotional anchor, besides Butler, is his mother, and I don't know how this'll work in the movie, thematically, as this served as compelling (if thin) foil to his character and she isn't even shown in the trailer here, for better or for worse. Whatevs. I'll pro'lly still watch this BABEH, why not.

In it to win it!

Oct 28, 2017
This is at least 10 years too late and I still hate it

The writing was on the wall when the casting call for Artemis sad that he is "warm-hearted and has a great sense of humour; he has fun in whatever situation he is in and loves life".

The entire point of the books (besides the cool high-tech fairy world) is that Artemis is a cocky, assholish ten-year-old criminal mastermind at the start. The whole story is about how he slowly develops empathy.
Looks like they took all the edges of his character and blame all the bad stuff on his Dad

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KindheartedNervousCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

jem

Oct 25, 2017

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
I don't remember this franchise much, but I read the books up until 5 and loved them as a kid. I remember very little about them, a decade later, but I sure as hell remember enough to know this ain't it haha.

Disappointed, but whatever. This is just too many years too late.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why a trailer for a movie that already came out?

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
I barely remember the books but even I can see that this is nowhere CLOSE to the plot and looks like hot garbage