• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when this was marketed as the "Harry Potter Killer" at schoolastic book fairs circa 2000 or whatever

Looks like shit

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the first book being pretty good with some fun and dark pastiche of fantasy tropes.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I read this book when i was a little kid, and basically the only thing that stuck with me is that the main character is kind of an asshole super-genius who is supremely competent and manipulative. This was what made the story unique and interesting, and it seems to have been lost entirely in this upcoming movie based on what we have seen of this trailer.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is this shit? He's supposed to be Hans Gruber!

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Granted, I haven't read the books in what feels like at least a decade and a half, but none of the characters seem to hit the mark for me in terms of their personalities.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea this looks like trash. The best part of the early books is that Artemis is a total asshole and pretty much a villain in the making. The original novel also had him at odds with the Fairy Police and I think even his butler was thinking he was going off the rails until his plot is revealed at the end. This trailer just makes him look like a good guy.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Wow that looks awful.

Edit: Reading through plot synopses of the novels on Wikipedia, what in tarnation is this series. Spoilers for the last book:

Opal Koboi opens the Berserker's Gate, a portal located on the Fowl Estate, in which dwell the spirits of fairy soldiers, the last victims of the Battle of Taillte, the final blow in the war that sent the Fairy People underground. Artemis, after his last session of being cured of Atlantis Complex, rushes to stop her along with Holly and Butler. They fail, and Opal opens the first gate, which releases the spirits of the warriors who begin to possess other people and animals around them, including corpses, animals, Juliet Butler, and Artemis's toddler brothers, Myles and Beckett. After escaping Opal and the possessed beings, they are helped by Mulch Diggums, and they attempt to stop Opal from opening the second gate, which destroys every human on the surface. While doing so, they battle (reluctantly) Artemis's possessed toddler brother Myles, who reveals to them Opal's plan after the fairy warrior spirit left his body. While they fight, Opal has also sent a dangerous fake present to Foaly's wife to make him suffer. Her plan fails because Caballine masters martial arts and Foaly comes to save her from goblins that Opal sent as well. Artemis and his friends fail to destroy the second gate with a laser he created, and Mulch saves them from possessed pirate corpses by riding the oldest troll in the world and knocking out most of them, causing the spirits of fairy warriors to leave their bodies to the afterlife. They then enter Fowl Manor where Artemis decides to sacrifice himself in order to stop Opal from opening the second gate. Foaly sends the clone of Opal that she created in the 4th book, and using her hand he is able to make the clone close the gates since the magic recognizes the clone's DNA as Opal's. Everyone in that area, including the spirits, immediately go to heaven, excluding Artemis, whose humanity and sheer willpower enables him to stay on Earth. Six months later, with the saliva that Artemis produced when he kissed Holly, they extract his DNA and make a clone of Artemis Fowl, which is then taken to the now overgrown gate. Artemis's spirit then takes control of the clone and he is alive once more.

I... what???

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a bazzilion years since I read the first book in this series (never read the rest), but wasn't Artemis Fowl kind of a big ego'd cocky dick? Getting none of that from this film. If my memory just playing tricks on me?

EDIT: ah, reading some of the other replies it seems my memory is fine and it is indeed the film direction that's bad.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the first book (or the second one afaik, it's been a while).

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they just threw the plot of the book straight in the bin then, along with all the characters personalities.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I had to go read a synopsis of the first book to confirm that I wasn't crazy and that Artemis is actually a completely different character in this

mfiuza

Sep 20, 2019
Wow, from one trailer to another.... clearly we can see they changed the entire plot. What happened?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, this is supposed to be like if Hans Gruber and John Wick teamed up to do crime. With John McClain as a woman fairy, with bond gadgets and a pixie cut, who's boss was a rageaholic with a smoking addiction and who's best friend was nerdy, forever alone, centaur Q (from Bond movies). And all that isn't even counting the kleptomaniac excon who fires farts off like they're rocket propelled grenades.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also another great aspect of the early books was the mystery angle. This looks like everything is spelled out early on.

Just utter garbage.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Haha YouTube comment suggested that the trailer makes more sense if you believe that the film actually follow Artemis the Third and that book Artemis is actually Colin Farrell.

Of course this isn't what's happening and all they are doing is trashing the books instead.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Seriously, this is supposed to be like if Hans Gruber and John Wick teamed up to do crime. With John McClain as a woman fairy, with bond gadgets and a pixie cut, who's boss was a rageaholic with a smoking addiction and who's best friend was nerdy, forever alone, centaur Q (from Bond movies). And all that isn't even counting the kleptomaniac excon who fires farts off like they're rocket propelled grenades.
Wasn't the tagline or elevator pitch of the first book, "Die Hard with Faeries"?

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
When all is said and done Book of Henry will end up being the superior Artemis Fowl movie

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this. Is this James Bond x Harry Potter but with kids?
The fantasy stuff looks neat but that main character is really off-putting.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this. Is this James Bond x Harry Potter but with kids?
The fantasy stuff looks neat but that main character is really off-putting.
The book is about an insufferable rich kid who kidnaps a fairy and tries to ransom her back to the underworld. The fairy police force then responds by sending in a SWAT team to kill him.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The kid doesn't have much of an Irish accent. Did they make him die it down for international (US) audience?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At last, the time has come.

...And my funny graph for Artemis Fowl global domination is stuck on my home computer whilst I still have a whole day of work to get through. Bugger.

Well, until then, you can read my write-up on the development hell this film has been through here. This was from last year.

www.resetera.com

Artemis Fowl: The Movie was due to release today, let's chronical it's development hell.

Disney has been having a fairly dominant year at the box office. Of the top 10 grossing films of the year so far. 5 of them belong to Disney. 4 of them are part of the Billion Dollar Club, with a 5th in Toy Story 4 very likely to join soon. Avenger's Endgame has become the highest grossing film...

(Also jeez, May 29th still? One week after Fast 9, One week before Wonder Woman 1984. Good luck with that date.)

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when this was marketed as the "Harry Potter Killer" at schoolastic book fairs circa 2000 or whatever

Looks like shit

Well, that's because this shit clearly ignores basically the entire book

what the hell did you do Disney. You fucking turned this into a John Carter generic ass fantasy film