• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Liam Wong's follow up book to his excellent TOKYO is here : AFTER DARK :

fre3vZZ.jpg

Oh wow, thanks for link.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i'm peeved about that. i tweeted at them and tagged Jeremy, hopefully it's something they can fix. would cost me 24 bucks to ship that and the snes one, pretty inexcusable imo.

I was going to order both as well and yeah, shipping for both books came out to $24. Sheesh. I'm going to hold off on it.

Not sure what shipping carrier they're using but USPS has their medium Priority Mail flat-rate boxes that I'm sure can fit both books for only $15. It would be even cheaper if shipped via Media Mail.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I caved under pressure.

I was going to wait until we found out more about the VB and SNES works books shipping through Limited Run. I then noticed that the VB collectors edition had already sold out. I panicked.

So I am now a proud owner of the standard Virtual Boy Works book and the Collector's Edition SNES works book. I'm pissed I couldn't get both CE.

The shipping was also 1/3 of the total cost of the books themselves.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Not an artbook, but Amano has a new print up for preorder:

Some information on it:
ch3records.com

On Esperwave

A retrospective look at the inspiration behind the album, and the legendary artist Yoshitaka Amano. Written by Travis Nylund When I think of Yoshitaka Amano, the first things that come to mind are the art and world of Final Fantasy. But with a body of work spanning five decades, his...

E8sFclxVoAUpC7h

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

Some information on it:
ch3records.com

On Esperwave

A retrospective look at the inspiration behind the album, and the legendary artist Yoshitaka Amano. Written by Travis Nylund When I think of Yoshitaka Amano, the first things that come to mind are the art and world of Final Fantasy. But with a body of work spanning five decades, his...

E8sFclxVoAUpC7h

Thanks, grabbed one of the prints! His publisher Art Vivant is highway robbery. I'm really glad Amano is willing to work with other companies to produce prints at a more affordable price.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks, grabbed one of the prints! His publisher Art Vivant is highway robbery. I'm really glad Amano is willing to work with other companies to produce prints at a more affordable price.
Glad you got one! I did as well. So I guess these won't be hand signed/autographed by Amano, but I wonder if the numbering is at least done by him?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you got one! I did as well. So I guess these won't be hand signed/autographed by Amano, but I wonder if the numbering is at least done by him?

Possibly, the Dark Horse biography was signed and those were $150 MSRP. That would be a big selling point so I think they would have mentioned it.

I just wish the vinyl hadn't sold out, the actual album sounds interesting.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Golly. There are certinly books/collections I would pay that much for but that isn't one. Before I even have a chance to see the movie, no matter how much I enjoy the book.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Some information on it:
ch3records.com

On Esperwave

E8sFclxVoAUpC7h

Damn this is pretty sick, but 175 seems like a lot? Is that a fair price?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Golly. There are certinly books/collections I would pay that much for but that isn't one. Before I even have a chance to see the movie, no matter how much I enjoy the book.
I'm intruiged by Josh Brolin's "personal recollections of the production."
Monday: Sand everywhere. And I mean everywhere.

Tuesday: Release delayed due to pandemic. At least my costume has a mask.

Wednesday: Apparently we're launching on-demand. Denis is pissed. Note to self: check royalty clause in contract

Thursday: Change of plan, opening in theatres after all. And this is a perfect Christmas movie. It even ends with a singalong.

Friday: Fucking sand!

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

Since it's super limited and will never be reprinted I don't think it matters how fair it is. Same thing with their vinyls. The one they released today that goes with that poster is already gone in all of it's editions. The blue and black versions sold out in under a minute. It's one of those things.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Bookdepo sent me a survey about soejima V2 they haven't shipped yet (I think)

slinch

Jan 20, 2018

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
To be honest it's value is definitely dependent on a lot of subjective things, but for an original Final Fantasy Amano art piece commissioned for a vinyl having only 250 associated prints being made, $175 is a very fair price objectively speaking.
Now this is not hand signed by Amano, which if you pay $100's-$1000's you can find ones like that, but for comparison a signed print by Amano from Final Fantasy VI could easily run you $3000-5000+. So all in all it's a fair compromise/value proposition.

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest it's value is definitely dependent on a lot of subjective things, but for an original Final Fantasy Amano art piece commissioned for a vinyl having only 250 associated prints being made, $175 is a very fair price objectively speaking.
Now this is not hand signed by Amano, which if you pay $100's-$1000's you can find ones like that, but for comparison a signed print by Amano from Final Fantasy VI could easily run you $3000-5000+. So all in all it's a fair compromise/value proposition.

This is the lower end for Amano's art, yeah. FF prints can sell for $3000 on the open market. Non-FF prints can go for $500. It honestly depends on the image/print run.

Damn, okay. I know Amano fetches a high price tag but I didn't realize it was that high.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, okay. I know Amano fetches a high price tag but I didn't realize it was that high.

It all depends on how limited the run is. If any of them didn't have a limited release than they wouldn't fetch such a high price. But knowing that there will only be a set numbers of them printed means that no matter how worth it you think it is it will sell out.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on how limited the run is. If any of them didn't have a limited release than they wouldn't fetch such a high price. But knowing that there will only be a set numbers of them printed means that no matter how worth it you think it is it will sell out.

Yeah that's true. I wound up pulling the trigger on it since I want to display it and I figure if I ever do want/need to get rid of it I'm sure I can recoup some of the cost.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
New Souls fan art book coming from collaboration between VaatiVidya and Tune & Fairweather.

Don't think it has been officially announced yet but latest Edge magazine has the following link:

bit.ly/soularts

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the email about that as well. Need to look into Fairweather though since I seem to remember not liking something about them after I had backed their first souls book. Hope I'm remembering wrong.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the email about that as well. Need to look into Fairweather though since I seem to remember not liking something about them after I had backed their first souls book. Hope I'm remembering wrong.

You're not - the main person behind it (Jason Killingsworth) had some interesting tweets during the BLM movement about cancel culture and defunding police movements. He didn't go full on anti-BLM but there was a definite tone there

For example he retweeted this:

and

I posted on getting the You Died book and had it pointed out to me

Last edited:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
You're not - the main person behind it (Jason Killingsworth) had some interesting tweets during the BLM movement about cancel culture and defunding police movements. He didn't go full on anti-BLM but there was a definite tone there

For example he retweeted this:

and

I posted on getting the You Died book and had it pointed out to me

Thanks for doing my research for me. Dang.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I've got TOKYO and just pre-ordered AFTER DARK. I just noticed that Liam Wong had been selling photo prints of some of his work on his website, but now they're all sold out (even those marked "open" editions). What's my best bet for trying to track down some? Are there any communities (subreddits, FB groups, etc) that specialize in that sort of thing? I'm in bunch of pop culture screen print groups and never see this type of stuff come up for sale. I guess I can just keep an eye on eBay but I'd feel better about getting a legit copy if it were bought from a different marketplace.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I really fancy Soul Arts, but £65 with shipping is very steep. I see you can get You Died for a 25% discount from T&F at the moment, so this might drift down too eventually. Think I'll pass for now.

Apr 19, 2018
Just came in from otaku.com, used but in immaculate condition -- and it's everything I could hope for in a comprehensive art book for the two Kenji/Investigations titles. I may have to pick up the two Dai Gyakuten books sometime down the line, but I'm quite satisfied with my Ace Attorney art book collection for the moment:

IMG-1759.jpg

IMG-1768.jpg

As I'm now in the throes of playing through The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for the first time, I think it too is time to flesh out my GS collection with those two Dai Gyakuten art books.

Can anybody comment on them? I found the pair for $110 USD through eBay, which seems reasonable given their relative scarcity nowadays.

dai-gyakuten-saiban-naruhodo-ryuunosuke-no-bouken-koshiki-genga-435571.2.jpg

dai-gyakuten-saiban-2-the-resolve-of-naruhod-rynosuke-official-a-543529.1.jpg

leder

Oct 25, 2017
As I'm now in the throes of playing through The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles for the first time, I think it too is time to flesh out my GS collection with those two Dai Gyakuten art books.

Can anybody comment on them? I found the pair for $110 USD through eBay, which seems reasonable given their relative scarcity nowadays.

dai-gyakuten-saiban-naruhodo-ryuunosuke-no-bouken-koshiki-genga-435571.2.jpg

dai-gyakuten-saiban-2-the-resolve-of-naruhod-rynosuke-official-a-543529.1.jpg
They just got reprinted, you should be about to pick them up for close to MSRP.

Awesome collection by the way! Had no idea there was an Investigations book

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Strange that we never got the Ace Attorney 6 art book translated, I get Investigations falling through the cracks, but after we got AA5 I'd have assumed we'd be on board for AA6.

While on about art books that got missed, I finally picked back up Valkyria Chronicles 4 and noted there wasn't an art book for that one full stop, outside some special edition doodad (and oddly we did get the third entries book translated, despite the game never coming out overseas, which in turn I'm sure meant it sold like poop)

I can accept these misses, but gosh darn it give me Great Ace Attorney books in English.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Strange that we never got the Ace Attorney 6 art book translated, I get Investigations falling through the cracks, but after we got AA5 I'd have assumed we'd be on board for AA6.

While on about art books that got missed, I finally picked back up Valkyria Chronicles 4 and noted there wasn't an art book for that one full stop, outside some special edition doodad (and oddly we did get the third entries book translated, despite the game never coming out overseas, which in turn I'm sure meant it sold like poop)

I can accept these misses, but gosh darn it give me Great Ace Attorney books in English.

Yeah the lack of the AA6 book in English has been a source of annoyance for me for a while now. Somehow I've kept holding out hope but it's clearly not happening. Grr.

Speaking of books I wish would get translated, another one that's rather baffling to me is the fact that we haven't gotten the splatoon 2 octo expansion art book. It's presented as this in-universe magazine and I think that's rad.

PE1gcfC.jpeg

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the lack of the AA6 book in English has been a source of annoyance for me for a while now. Somehow I've kept holding out hope but it's clearly not happening. Grr.

Speaking of books I wish would get translated, another one that's rather baffling to me is the fact that we haven't gotten the splatoon 2 octo expansion art book. It's presented as this in-universe magazine and I think that's rad.

PE1gcfC.jpeg

I didn't realize that this was a thing. I hopped on eBay immediately to grab a copy.

Apr 19, 2018
They just got reprinted, you should be about to pick them up for close to MSRP.

Ah thanks for the heads-up! Perhaps I'll wait a bit then to see when stores get them back in stock.

Awesome collection by the way! Had no idea there was an Investigations book

It's easily my favorite of all the Gyakuten books, just from the sheer content that they cover between the two Investigation titles; plenty of concept sketches, a very wide range of character animation stills, all of the black and white "event" art pieces, etc. It's what I had hoped the GS1-4 books would have aspired to cover.

Yeah, it was disappointing we never got Spirit of Justice localized, as it's a fine collection of art with content amount very much on par with Dual Destinies. My only qualm with the JP release was their decision to go with the smaller, more compact B5 publication book size, instead of the standard A4; some of the art pieces would have undoubtedly looked even better with the larger A4 page spreads.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017

PE1gcfC.jpeg

Cool, I also didn't know it was a thing, ordered! Preview here of a few pages if anyone else is interested https://imgur.com/a/LOLazfi

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

PE1gcfC.jpeg

what the fuuuuuck give it to meeeeee!!!!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I passed over the Splatoon 2 art book because I wasn't sure how much interesting new stuff it would actually have to show coming off the first games' book, the octo expansion and other post release content seems like the more interesting stuff to me so it's a shame (again!) that it seems like it'll be skipped over for localising.

Which in turn on the nintendo front, reminds me that Fire Emblem Fates has a book as well, not really waiting on that one or anything since I wasn't too hot on that game, but once again I'd have thought that after Awakening got translated this one would come as well.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
There are a couple of reviews on the Kickstarter page, but it looks really good. I backed the backlog tier to get both numbers.

Ive just done the same - also got a similar thing coming in the post soon, second issue of A Profound Waste of Time. First one was good and hoping for same with second

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
Ive just done the same - also got a similar thing coming in the post soon, second issue of A Profound Waste of Time. First one was good and hoping for same with second

Thanks for mentioning APWoT! I hasn't heard of it before.
Looks like a beautiful magazine. The second has a photo essay by Liam Wong.
Thought I would mention that, as I know there are fans of his work I'm the thread.