• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, that looks fabulous. Inspiration to apply for my passport in order to go to Japan lol.

You have time, Japan won't be fully open for another year imho...

What a beauty. I recall you had the full sized CCCP book from Taschen in your collection photo. How does it compare to the size of that one?

I'm still waiting for the Van Gogh complete paintings book I bought on the sale last week which will be a comparable size.

CCCP is 26 x 34 cm, 2,66 kg, 312 pages . It 1.5cm wider but 3cm shorter : CCCP fit in my shelves lol
There is a smaller version of CCCP, half the size, but I wouldn't recommend it. The appeal, pleasure and aura of these object reside in their size and print clarity. Having pages fitting in your hand is surely more practical but you loose so much in awe when turning them.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
The appeal, pleasure and aura of these object reside in their size and print clarity. Having pages fitting in your hand is surely more practical but you loose so much in awe when turning them.

Agree completely, the bibliotheca universalis line is definitely cool for the price, but for subjects like art or architecture it just feels too tiny.

Got mine in a few days ago, I went with just a few big bois this time around, and I guess I never learn, because it's always the same regret: I wish I bought more.

egDOKNA.jpg

Schlafroq

Jul 6, 2020
I've also already got my Taschen order: three photography books, two film books, and an illustrated volume of Norwegian folk tales. And I just love the actual cloth cover of "Hitchcock: The Complete Films" - that's probably how it's going to stand on my bookshelf. :)

Cy6zlnH.jpg

6qaZIfO.jpeg

Last edited:

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Agree completely, the bibliotheca universalis line is definitely cool for the price, but for subjects like art or architecture it just feels too tiny.

Got mine in a few days ago, I went with just a few big bois this time around, and I guess I never learn, because it's always the same regret: I wish I bought more.

egDOKNA.jpg

That Hiroshige book looks stunning. Wish I picked it up for the sale.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Sure :) if it's not too much trouble.

Its a big book, the slip case is only around the book, the top and bottom are exposed. It's shut close with these hinges, its so cool to use even if its a novelty :

k17suKb.jpg

Once opened, the slip case reavels to faux wood pattern, its very pretty and the book itself is in fact, a soft cover, rope binded. It feels... antique and frankly, a bit fragile for its size and weight but very unique.
etXx1SI.jpg

Inside, every single page is the same : woodprint on the right, accompagning text on the left. Of course its amazing to read a bit on every signle piece, getting details on history, location, everything...
qepedvP.jpg

H7uGqHT.jpg

Should I recommend this ? Yes and no. Yes because it is beautiful and the individual art commentary is often what's missing in most woodblock print books I own and I like the unique package. But its also a weakness and I fear this many pages with this binding might not last as long as it should but I might be very wrong and Taschen probably knows best what they are doing

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I have the same Hiroshige book. It is a stunning object and a massive bargain. The academic text is well written and fascinating and the wood block reproductions are just beautifully done.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Its a big book, the slip case is only around the book, the top and bottom are exposed. It's shut close with these hinges, its so cool to use even if its a novelty :

k17suKb.jpg

Once opened, the slip case reavels to faux wood pattern, its very pretty and the book itself is in fact, a soft cover, rope binded. It feels... antique and frankly, a bit fragile for its size and weight but very unique.
etXx1SI.jpg

Inside, every single page is the same : woodprint on the right, accompagning text on the left. Of course its amazing to read a bit on every signle piece, getting details on history, location, everything...
qepedvP.jpg

H7uGqHT.jpg

Should I recommend this ? Yes and no. Yes because it is beautiful and the individual art commentary is often what's missing in most woodblock print books I own and I like the unique package. But its also a weakness and I fear this many pages with this binding might not last as long as it should but I might be very wrong and Taschen probably knows best what they are doing

The presentation is lovely. I'm a huge fan of the rope binding. I wasnt sure which Hiroshige or Hokusai book to get because there are so many out there. But I will probably get this one. Like you said, it's very unique.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Even if it's not the most practical, for the price it's an absolute bargain.

That said, I had it in my cart since maybe, April? When I got the small books from the February Taschen sale, I also got the small version of Hiroshige in there as well. But like I mentioned, it's really a too small a format for an art book. So I never even opened it and decided to gift it away and get the big one, but had it in my cart for months waiting for another sale 😁

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol all ya'll posting taschen hauls has me mad jelly. i might save up and see if i can at least get an order where i save at least the shipping price lol

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I doubt of getting the new Hokusai book

www.taschen.com

TASCHEN Books: Hokusai. Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji.

In this XXL edition, discover Hokusai’s seminal Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji, an artifact of art history and masterpiece of woodblock practice.

Should I get the "famous first edition" or wait for the next sale including the standard version? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just a heads up. Their XXL books are massive. Bigger than you might think.

www.taschen.com

TASCHEN Books: Japanese Woodblock Prints

Learn the stories behind the 200 most exceptional Japanese woodblock prints from 1680 to 1938 with this XXL book featuring the work of 89 artists.

This is the one I was also eyeing, but its a little too rich for my blood. If there is an awesome sale next time I might consider it.

xxxoxxx

Dec 9, 2017
www.taschen.com

TASCHEN Books: Japanese Woodblock Prints

Learn the stories behind the 200 most exceptional Japanese woodblock prints from 1680 to 1938 with this XXL book featuring the work of 89 artists.

This is the one I was also eyeing, but its a little too rich for my blood. If there is an awesome sale next time I might consider it.

I bought that one during the last sale, and yes, it is massive, as it is the "Fantasy Art" book that I also own. I still have to find a place to store them :(

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I've had to slow down because I'm running out of shelf space, but switching back and forth between animating for games and movies/tv, most of my books are film and game art books. Not pictured: the black folio edition of the Uncharted 2 art book, and the two Nine Old Men Disney animation flip book box sets. I also have the Castlevania Netflix, and Double Fine anniversary art books preordered, but until I get more/better shelves, that'll probably be it for now.

Edit: oh wow the compression is pretty bad. If any one wants closer shots of any of the shelves, or has questions about any of the books, let me know!

5zdSXycgQ8sjjUPBDE6Zhp.jpg

jRBQpZe8RLhviB44lvegj.jpg

4HiFg1wl9HbdPr0Bb5lWab.jpg

i7soV8gyUoes4viSL0IGR.jpg

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
the shelf pics are impressive but i feel like i need a spreadsheet as well otherwise my head is just at a 90 degree tilt trying to read titles lmao

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to slow down because I'm running out of shelf space, but switching back and forth between animating for games and movies/tv, most of my books are film and game art books. Not pictured: the black folio edition of the Uncharted 2 art book, and the two Nine Old Men Disney animation flip book box sets. I also have the Castlevania Netflix, and Double Fine anniversary art books preordered, but until I get more/better shelves, that'll probably be it for now.

Edit: oh wow the compression is pretty bad. If any one wants closer shots of any of the shelves, or has questions about any of the books, let me know!

...so I'm not the only person with a random Prima Pokemon Gold and Silver guide amongst my art books lol
But really the main takeaway is that's a lot of lickitung

(also gonna echo Kate's query, what are the tomes of Jak?)

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome collection Rated-G !

The Pokemon guides are super nice, some of them are collectible these days too. Plenty of great manga as well.

That Disney collection is very impressive. Did you pick them up as the films were released?

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Naughty Dog fan I see ! What are these huge Jak books ?
I think those are the boxes from the Jak and Daxter Collector's Editions from Limited Run.
...so I'm not the only person with a random Prima Pokemon Gold and Silver guide amongst my art books lol
But really the main takeaway is that's a lot of lickitung

(also gonna echo Kate's query, what are the tomes of Jak?)
Awesome collection Rated-G !

The Pokemon guides are super nice, some of them are collectible these days too. Plenty of great manga as well.

That Disney collection is very impressive. Did you pick them up as the films were released?

Yes, those are the limited run collector's editions of the Jak games. I think Naughty Dog games are the only ones I let myself get collectors editions for these days.

Lickitung has been my favorite Pokémon since Red and Blue, and one of the least represented of the OG 151 when it comes to merch (at least it feels that way) so I jump on anything I can find!

The Disney books are a mix I've tried my best to keep up with Disney/Pixar art books since around when Cars or Ratatouille came out. I have a few I need to catch up on, and family/friends have helped me track down older ones I was missing when it comes to birthdays and holiday gifts.

I can write up a list of what I have in a bit so you don't have to crane your neck or try to read the spines through that compression.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
im so mad i can't let myself have shelves in this rental yet

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017

5zdSXycgQ8sjjUPBDE6Zhp.jpg

jRBQpZe8RLhviB44lvegj.jpg

i7soV8gyUoes4viSL0IGR.jpg

Here's the list of art books from these pics:
Pic 1:
1st shelf:
The Art of Kubo and the Two Strings
Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
Brother Bear: A Transformation Tale
They Drew As They Pleased (Vol 1 and 2)
The Art of Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall•E, Bolt, The Pixar Shorts, Up, The Princess and the Frog, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Cars 2, Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, Monsters University, Frozen, Planes + Planes Fire and Rescue, Big Hero 6, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Moana, Cars 3, Coco, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Toy Story 4, Frozen II, Raya and the Last Dragon

2nd Shelf:
Walt Disney Animation Studios Archive Series: Story, Animation, Design, Layout & Background
The Art of Epic Mickey
The Art of TRON Legacy
Disney Animation: The Illusion of Life
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves: The Art and Creation of Walt Disney's Classic Animated Film
Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Beauty and the Beast
Melange (Assorted works by Dean Yeagle)
Naughty and Nice: The Good Girl Art of Bruce Timm
The Art of Loish
The Sketchbook of Loish
The Art of Pernille Ørum
Lovely: Ladies of Animation
Sketch Every Day with Simone Grünewald
Funny! Twenty-Five Years of Laughter from the Pixar Story Room
The Art of Sanjay's Super Team
The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdom
To Infinity and Beyond! The Story of Pixar Animation Studios
The Art of The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan
The Tarzan Chronicles
Toy Story: The Art and Making of the Animated Film
A Bug's Life: The Art and Making of the Animated Film
The Art of Pirates of the Caribbean

3rd Shelf:
The Art of The Mitchells vs the Machines, Marvel's Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1 and 2, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Kung-Fu Panda, Madagascar 2, Monsters vs Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, Megamind, Kung-Fu Panda 2, Rise of the Guardians, Kung-Fu Panda 3, Rio, The Iron Giant, Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia, Pokémon Detective Pikachu
The Simpsons Handbook - Secret Tips from the Pros
Watchmen: The Film Companion
Watchmen: The Art of the Film
The Art of Invader Zim
Steven Universe: Art & Origins
Steven Universe: End of An Era
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Art of the Animated Series
The Art of Rick and Morty
Klaus: The Art of the Movie
The Art of Krampus
Uncharted: Drake's Journal (hardcover version)
Watching the Watchmen
Watchmen - Portraits

4th shelf:
The Art of Brutal Legend, Death Stranding, Journey, Marvel's Spider-Man, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Marvel's Spider-Man - Script Book
Sonic the Hedgehog: Art & Design
Yoshitaka Amano: The Sky - The Art of Final Fantasy
The Art of BioShock Infinite, Broken Age, Cuphead, God of War
God of War: Lore & Legends
The Art of The Last of Us
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Creating a Champion
The Art of Metal Gear Solid I-IV, Metal Gear Solid V, Ratchet and Clank, Splatoon, Dead Space, Horizon Zero Dawn
Ōkami: Official Complete Works
How to Draw Crash Bandicoot
The Art of Halo: Creating a Virtual World
Ashley Wood - The Art of Metal Gear Solid
Kirby: Art & Style Collection

Also pictured: the complete storyboards for Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, and Princess Mononoke

Pic 2:
Shelf 1 is mostly reference books, The Animator's Survival Kit, the RWBY Japanese fan book, Mad Men: The Illustrated World

Shelf 2 has:
A Tom Bancroft art book
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride: An Invitation to the Wedding
Uncharted: Drake's Journal (paperback)
The Art of InuYasha
The Art of Princess Mononoke
The Art of Spirited Away
100 Tuesday Tips Vol 1 and 2
The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Art and Making of the Film

Pic 3:
The Making of Prince of Persia
The Crash Bandicoot Files: How Willy the Wombat Sparked Marsupial Mania
The Art and Making of Control
The Last Guardian: An Extraordinary Story
The Art of Ghost of Tsushima, Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, Spyro Reignited Trilo

Pic 4:
The Art of The Uncharted Trilogy, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Naughty Dog, The Last of Us Part II

And not pictured: The Art of Uncharted 2 Among Thieves

About 146 books(?)

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Your pixar collection is impressive! Very satisfying to look at.

Any recommendations or favourites for fans of old school Disney? I was thinking an artbook that had concept art and sketches from the 1930's to like 1970's.

I really enjoy the "They Drew as They Pleased" series, they go through the history of Disney Animation, and feature specific artists, and highlight specific productions, occasionally featuring art that doesn't get shown a lot. Especially in the early years. Those first two or three volumes would likely be what you're looking for.

The Snow White book is really good as well, it has more text than the usual "art and making of" book, and has a decent selection of art.

The Art of Walt Disney is hefty but also has a lot of art from older productions, the shorts era, etc. but is more broad and has chapters about the parks and such.

These aren't old school, but I also recommend the Art of Cars. I get that it's not the most popular Pixar film but it also really embodies the spirit of animation, giving life to the inanimate. And I found the book has nice tidbits about how the artists learned to draw cars and give them character when the only real past reference they had were shorts like Susie the Little Blue Coupe.

The Art of Hercules, and The Tarzan Chronicles are also excellent and highly regarded in the animation community for their level of quality.

I do need more books from that 30s-70s time frame though, most of my books are Renaissance and later.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah after people said they just used sheets I thought there had to be a better way.

I went and downloaded a few barcode scanner apps and gave them each a test run. None of the options were perfect and I had to do a bit of manual entry, but libib.com ended up being the one I stuck with since it also has a website, so you can scan with your phone and then continue on a browser if you wanted. It mostly ends up missing for books in other languages, but anything by Dark Horse or Udon for example had no issue using their ISBN.

Here's the sample library I made in case anyone was curious: kaj.libib.com/i/art-guide-misc

sPkYYOt.png

And then once you've got the entry in, you can add in groups, tags, etc.

Yvyb2RI.png

Still not painless though, so if anyone has other options they like, please share. I still use sheets for anything that doesn't have an ISBN.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a notification for what could be my copy of the Region Locked book being shipped out after seeing an update 2 weeks ago that they were being sent out. 3 years waiting for this book to be made & in my hands. Glad it's finished & gonna be in my hands soon.

Edit: got the confirmation email. Thank goodness. Now to wait for that Pac-Man book from C&B to be sent out.

Edit 2: Hardcore Gaming 101's next book is the Guide to Beat-'em-Ups Vol. 1 & will be available next month.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Anyone know if Final Fantasy XIII got an artbook? I only have the Collector's Edition

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a stone in the ocean but was there any print or re edition of Otomo's Domu or and Highway Star in english?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I can't believe how expensive used copies of Ayami Kojima's Santa Lilio Sangre are now. I paid a fraction of that for a new copy years ago. I wonder if it'll ever get reprinted.