• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SgtWiggles

Oct 25, 2017

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have experience with extreme heat and art books? I'm in the middle of this PNW heat wave where it's going to be above 100 the next few days. I escaped my rental house that doesn't have AC for now, but am kind of worried about all my books (and vinyl) I left there.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think Amazon just charged me for the second Rick & Morty artbook from Dark Horse. Looks like it's finally coming out after several delays.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Did anyone in EU get the Mondo: The Art of Soundtracks from amazon? I ordered the day they put them up (amazon.de), way back in February 2020. Release was supposedly this June 8, but mine never shipped and customer service gave the useless "perhaps the product was no longer in stock when you ordered" response.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone in EU get the Mondo: The Art of Soundtracks from amazon? I ordered the day they put them up (amazon.de), way back in February 2020. Release was supposedly this June 8, but mine never shipped and customer service gave the useless "perhaps the product was no longer in stock when you ordered" response.
it's instock on bookdepository so maybe it's just amazon being dumb
https://www.bookdepository.com/Mondo-Art-Soundtracks/9781789096293

Amazon.com: Books

Online shopping from a great selection at Books Store.

Schlafroq

Jul 6, 2020

I already got my copy (the UK edition published by Titan Books) delivered from Amazon.de on 18th June, so the release definitely happened IRL. And the book itself is a beautiful companion to the larger "Art of Mondo" (as well as the smaller "Mondo Art of Batman: TAS"). :)

Maybe the one you have ordered is the US edition (published by Insight)? If so, that's probably the reason behind your delay - just reorder the UK edition, it's still in stock (and 7 EUR cheaper) -> https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/1789096294

tQlfPrX.jpg
nTbYpsl.jpeg
0CaFLNa.jpeg
uC12nMM.jpeg
Io2tUUp.jpg

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
You enjoy FF XIV ? Must have. Insane art.

You don't enjoy FF XIV but enjoy Ivalice era FF art ? Must have. Insane art.

You know nothing about FF XIV ? Still insane art and highly recommend, like all the FF XIV artbooks
i have barely played FFXIV, i think i've only just started the heavensward expansion, but the FFXIV books are my favourite art books bar none. gorgeous work in all of them.
They are some of the best books out there from an artistic perspective. I have them all and they are super detailed in all aspects from environments, jobs, enemies, NPCs, weapons etc.

Good to hear, thanks all!

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I already got my copy (the UK edition published by Titan Books) delivered from Amazon.de on 18th June, so the release definitely happened IRL. And the book itself is a beautiful companion to the larger "Art of Mondo" (as well as the smaller "Mondo Art of Batman: TAS"). :)

Maybe the one you have ordered is the US edition (published by Insight)? If so, that's probably the reason behind your delay - just reorder the UK edition, it's still in stock (and 7 EUR cheaper) -> https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/1789096294

Man, it's definitely a beaut! :D Yeah, looks like I have the US version on PO, though I'll wait just a bit more, because I locked it in at 30€ back then. Just got an "estimated delivery" email today with a July 13 arrival.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Actually, comparing the details on the two, it looks like the UK one is a tiny bit bigger? 29.85 cm vs 30.60 cm. And page count seems to differ as well, 216 for US and 192 for UK. Is it possible that there's actually a difference in content, or do US and UK publishers just count start/end pages differently?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, comparing the details on the two, it looks like the UK one is a tiny bit bigger? 29.85 cm vs 30.60 cm. And page count seems to differ as well, 216 for US and 192 for UK. Is it possible that there's actually a difference in content, or do US and UK publishers just count start/end pages differently?
Are the ISBN #s the same? I know page counts can vary with novels due to differences in font size, typeface, etc. But I don't think that would be a thing with artbooks.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I think it's time to hit up Mandarake again for some artbooks.

They're doing their Big Web auction right now as well. The signed Osamu Tezuka books are pretty unique. Can't say I've seen those too often.

sGrN9D8.jpg

tQlfPrX.jpg
nTbYpsl.jpeg
0CaFLNa.jpeg
uC12nMM.jpeg
Io2tUUp.jpg

Interesting concept! If it weren't for a book like this, some of this art wouldn't see print outside of actual vinyl release.

Schlafroq

Jul 6, 2020

I checked my UK edition, and the page count is exactly the same as in the US edition (216 pages). I suppose the difference in size (less than ~1 cm) is, similarly, just an error in the provided details. From what I know (and from what I have in my collection), books published by Titan and Insight are usually identical (except from the publisher logo, of course) - if I had to guess, I'd say that they even come out of the same printing house. :)

gr2Q7fZ.jpg
4UWGGP7.jpg

Interesting concept! If it weren't for a book like this, some of this art wouldn't see print outside of actual vinyl release.

Yup, this book is pretty much the next best thing when it comes to the (usually pretty expensive and sold-out) Mondo vinyls.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Awesome, thanks for checking!

And yeah, I've got a pretty hefty mondo vinyl collection, but still needed to get the book, either for stuff I missed or just to have all the art compactly in one place.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann artbook announced!!!! holy shit i want

I actually already have one of the genga collections already, but still

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up today.

IMG_20210630_134016.jpg

I'm in love with this book. Literally every feature you could think about Dragon Quest is explained with an evolution of how it's changed throughout the franchise. Even the most niche stuff like a save system, the cheat codes or how much was the price to heal poison in every game. Apart from that, a look into every game with a character guide and a mini-walkthrough. This is probably the best gaming related book I've had, it's just that good.

It's only on Japanese or Spanish, sorry English speakers. I'll post some pictures from the sample images under the spoiler, I'd take some myself but my phone camera is terrible.

A1UcUMfMNRL.jpg

91sEqdRDEpL.jpg

A1oSrykSgRL.jpg

Amazon.co.jp: ドラゴンクエスト25thアニバーサリー 冒険の歴史書 (SE-MOOK) : スクウェア・エニックス, スタジオベントスタッフ: Japanese Books

Amazon.co.jp: ドラゴンクエスト25thアニバーサリー 冒険の歴史書 (SE-MOOK) : スクウェア・エニックス, スタジオベントスタッフ: Japanese Books

Dragon Quest 25 aniversario historia de la aventura (Manga Shonen) : Toriyama, Akira, Daruma Serveis Lingüistics S.L.: Amazon.es: Libros

Dragon Quest 25 aniversario historia de la aventura (Manga Shonen) : Toriyama, Akira, Daruma Serveis Lingüistics S.L.: Amazon.es: Libros

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
My Guide to JRPGs book arrived today, it's lovely! Gonna enjoy reading through it.
Damn, & here I am still waiting for shipping confirmation. Probably gonna be mid-July before mine arrives.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann artbook announced!!!! holy shit i want

I actually already have one of the genga collections already, but still
Hell yes, this is the type of book that I want. I think I had the one Udon brought over, but it wasn't the type of artbook that I prefer. This seems to be more behind the scenes stuff instead of promo & key art that can easily be seen online. Now hopefully someone will bring this over.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I thought there were a bazillion of Gurren Lagann books around, like for every big shows ?

TTGL has like 3 genga (keyframe) books (I have one), but I don't know if it has a proper behind-the-scenes making-of collection. This is an Archive anyway so it's one of those 'we're grabbing as much as we can and chucking it in this one'

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Picked this up today.

IMG_20210630_134016.jpg

I'm in love with this book. Literally every feature you could think about Dragon Quest is explained with an evolution of how it's changed throughout the franchise. Even the most niche stuff like a save system, the cheat codes or how much was the price to heal poison in every game. Apart from that, a look into every game with a character guide and a mini-walkthrough. This is probably the best gaming related book I've had, it's just that good.

It's only on Japanese or Spanish, sorry English speakers. I'll post some pictures from the sample images under the spoiler, I'd take some myself but my phone camera is terrible.

A1UcUMfMNRL.jpg

91sEqdRDEpL.jpg

A1oSrykSgRL.jpg

That looks amazing! Really weird that it is only available in Japanese and Spanish though. I would instantly get an English version.

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
I ordered the Guide To JRPGs book and it arrived today. I didn't receive any shipping confirmation but I did get an email that told me it was out for delivery this morning. So, just be aware that you may not receive a shipping confirmation at all.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
May be worth mentioning I'm importing it to the US & my account still says "unfulfilled". My guess is they're getting all the UK orders done first, then doing the out of country ones later.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Jrpg book? Neg, I'm in NA and mine has already shipped with an estimated delivery of July 6th.
Weird, only thing I can think of is I also ordered the Atari Visual Compendium with it, but otherwise, I ordered within the first hour of when the book was available.

....oh right, I got an email this morning that said:

"You're receiving this email because you currently have an unfulfilled order, and this to reassure you that everything is fine and we will get to it ASAP. Our plan is to ship all orders this week so keep an eye out for a shipping email any day now. This shipping email will also contain tracking details. Thanks for your patience."

Maybe later today or tomorrow, I guess/hope.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Not shipped yet, Spain. Bitmap did send me that automated e-mail about orders being unfulfilled so idk when will it ship, hopefully it's soon.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Got my jRPG book today and this thing is gorgeous. This wasn't even on my radar and bought it on a whim from a tweet, and so glad that I happened upon it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Got my final part of the star wars trilogy, return of the jedi making of in today... but like a fool, i bought it second hand. I expected the lack of a dust jacket, but

Well, the bulk of the book is fine, so whatever

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you even have space for it? Or did you stop collecting for real. /smug
I sold off a lot of what I had if you mean figures. I still have like 120 or so, and I still buy the occasional thing here and there. I'm not getting 2-3 figures per month like the old days. Especially not with the current shipping rates. You still ride or die with Hatsune Miku?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I haven't purchased a figure in like three years. I ordered the Klee figure, but that's not out yet.

but yes this book is thicc af, like it hurts to lift
That Klee figure has been added to the MFC database like five times and it keeps getting deleted. 😂 Still living the gacha life, huh?

Yeah, I'll have to grab that RPG book next chance I get. I'm thinking about the Metal Slug book, too.