• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, eagerly awaiting A full review!
Wait, they actually made this?!

pQVHtLc.jpg

LMAO

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really impressed with Art of Super Mario Odyssey. I bought it on a whim since it was on sale, but I didn't realise how big it was or how nicely it was presented with the plastic slipcase and clean cover. It feels way more premium than the price tag it is going for right now.

The contents are great too; it didn't wow me as much as say the Metal Slug art book, but it makes up for it with genuinely interesting insights and just a wealth of sketches and information. Probably the third favourite art book I own.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something interesting just arrived in the post. The writer is a person who has studied urban planning and city geography and has applied it to 45 different virtual cities - was mentioned in Edge magazine this month and I had to get it (and thought about Andrew Korenchkin as well!)

9781783528486.jpg

Note - my cover is the black and red one, but I can't get a decent photo at the moment

Thanks for the shout out, that looks 100% up my alley.

Oh damn, sad I missed this, would've definitely picked up Dues Ex, Horizon and maybe destiny at those prices.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Oh damn, sad I missed this, would've definitely picked up Dues Ex, Horizon and maybe destiny at those prices.

The voucher is still showing up as valid for me. Deus Ex and Horizon's discounted prices have increased slightly to £17.32 and Destiny is sadly out of stock, but the code should still work.

Picked up Doom Eternal's art book and the Neon Genesis Evangelion animation sketch book myself.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the shout out, that looks 100% up my alley.

Just so you know I thought it would be great but I wasn't that impressed; it's more 45 lonely planet style guides to a place with some odd illustrations, rather than a good look at the design of each city and how it impacts the game. I think the idea is great but the execution was lacking

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The voucher is still showing up as valid for me. Deus Ex and Horizon's discounted prices have increased slightly to £17.32 and Destiny is sadly out of stock, but the code should still work.

Picked up Doom Eternal's art book and the Neon Genesis Evangelion animation sketch book myself.

Oh, I kept getting a "This code can't be applied to your order" error when I tried to use the code so I assumed it was over, after your reply I logged out of my ebay account and checked out as a guest and it worked fine so... /shrug, thanks for the heads up! Ended up picking up the horizon and nier automata art books, as well as the 99% invisible city.

Just so you know I thought it would be great but I wasn't that impressed; it's more 45 lonely planet style guides to a place with some odd illustrations, rather than a good look at the design of each city and how it impacts the game. I think the idea is great but the execution was lacking

Hm, that's a shame, what did you think of the art, odd is an interesting descriptor.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
that's a q4 financial year placeholder release date iirc, do they do that for artbooks?

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
that's a shame, what did you think of the art, odd is an interesting descriptor.

They felt like an attempt to capture the spirit of the game but didn't really work; they were drawn in a freehand style that meant there were no straight lines which didn't fit a lot of the games.

I liked the maps drawn for the book but the drawings of people and places just looked like someone drawing them from memory.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, saw that Hardcore Gaming 101's book on Shin Megami Tensei/Persona released back on the 13th. 190 pages for $25, not bad. Ordered mine earlier today.

Speaking of HG101, is the site owner a member here? I remember they were previously but wasn't sure if they joined here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone here gonna be able to import the 13 Sentinels art book that releases in less than a week? If so, please post impressions and maybe a picture or two when you get it.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone here gonna be able to import the 13 Sentinels art book that releases in less than a week? If so, please post impressions and maybe a picture or two when you get it.

I'll probably bite. I have a few things in my list to get from Japan, I'd take the opportunity to make a single package soon I think

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether to buy it or wait for a possible localization. 🤔
I'm facing the same dilemma, which is why I'm waiting to see how much text there is in the Japanese release. If it's light on text and is mostly art-centric, then I'll almost definitely import it rather than waiting possibly 1-2 years for a localization that might never happen.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm really impressed with Art of Super Mario Odyssey. I bought it on a whim since it was on sale, but I didn't realise how big it was or how nicely it was presented with the plastic slipcase and clean cover. It feels way more premium than the price tag it is going for right now.

The contents are great too; it didn't wow me as much as say the Metal Slug art book, but it makes up for it with genuinely interesting insights and just a wealth of sketches and information. Probably the third favourite art book I own.

Just picked up Art of Super Mario Odyssey myself. Pretty excellent price point at just $22.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
hope that there will be a demon's souls remake artbook. The original demon's souls never got a fully fledged artbook and only a mini artbook that came with the extremely limited 'black' edition of the game.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
hope that there will be a demon's souls remake artbook. The original demon's souls never got a fully fledged artbook and only a mini artbook that came with the extremely limited 'black' edition of the game.

Yeah I have the Black edition (got it for 10 bucks back in the day) and the artbook is amazing, but really limited in its page numbers and its size. Those pocket books that come with collector's editions are always underwhelming and does a disservice to the art.

I assume a fully fledged Demons Souls artbook would require both From's artists and Bluepoint's artists to allow a print of their art. Not sure if Sony owns all the art or if it's the company they've contracted.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yeah I have the Black edition (got it for 10 bucks back in the day) and the artbook is amazing, but really limited in its page numbers and its size. Those pocket books that come with collector's editions are always underwhelming and does a disservice to the art.

I assume a fully fledged Demons Souls artbook would require both From's artists and Bluepoint's artists to allow a print of their art. Not sure if Sony owns all the art or if it's the company they've contracted.

sony owned the IP so by definiton, they would have full ownership of the artwork. FROM and Bluepoint are merely contractors.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy of Art of Capcom V.3 in the mail from Amazon, but of course there was a nice impact dent on the top side, so a good number of pages have a little crinkle at the top. At least Amazon is super easy for getting replacements.

Super lovely book otherwise.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Australia has no black friday deals on artbooks and bookdepository's black friday deal is 10% off a selection of stuff, which is fine except they run those deals constantly anyway. Geh. I was really curious about $20 for a super mario odyssey book (I guess it'd be about $35 AUD but whatever)

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Got my copy of Art of Capcom V.3 in the mail from Amazon, but of course there was a nice impact dent on the top side, so a good number of pages have a little crinkle at the top. At least Amazon is super easy for getting replacements.

Super lovely book otherwise.
Getting a replacement is easy enough, but getting another replacement that's not damaged is a pain.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a replacement is easy enough, but getting another replacement that's not damaged is a pain.
To be fair, I don't even think the damage was from shipping. It came in one of those perforated cardboard boxes that's barely larger than the book, and there's no damage to the outside of that. The damage probably occurred before it was packed and shipped.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Anime Architecture is out

So I've recieved this and took all morning reading this religiously.

It's amazing. I'm baised, of course, as the selection of movies is, probably, my first anime movies and introductions to the genre.

But the quality of the painted backgrounded scanned, the deconstruction of the layers, the hand drawn studies, the commentaries... the locations scout pictures for Gits... Its all feel like I opened a treasure chest for my favorites movies.

I can't recommend this enough.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I've suddenly decided to pick up more artbooks cuz of the sales. Got Mario Odyssey, Spiderverse, Cuphead, Splatoon 2, and Avatar the Last Airbender 2nd edition.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good haul. The Mario Odyssey book is surprisingly big. The Breath of the Wild book is great too, if you're a Zelda fan.
Funny thing I was about to grab it for part of my b2g1 but Amazon said I ordered it 2 years ago so currently it's sitting somewhere in storage. Otherwise I went with Cuphead, Spiderverse, and Splatoon 2. Then I saw Avatar was eligible for b2g1 at Target so I just ordered 2 filler and cancelled them to get the 33% off on Avatar. Odyssey was just a good price on Amazon.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Any deals on the Korra artbooks? I didn't like the show but I really love the atla artbook...

I should look and see what a shipping option from us is like...

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
So I've recieved this and took all morning reading this religiously.

It's amazing. I'm baised, of course, as the selection of movies is, probably, my first anime movies and introductions to the genre.

But the quality of the painted backgrounded scanned, the deconstruction of the layers, the hand drawn studies, the commentaries... the locations scout pictures for Gits... Its all feel like I opened a treasure chest for my favorites movies.

I can't recommend this enough.

Yup, it's really great.

The spine itself with the orange and brown grey is also really beautiful. Amazing job by those involved.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like I'll have to wait and pray for an eventual Dark Horse translated release of the 13 Sentinels Double Helix artbook.

From these product images it's clear that there is a ton of text in there, so I'd be unable to read most of its content if I went the import route.

13-sentinels-aegis-rim-official-archives-double-helix-script-collection-double-strand-dx-limited-edition-book-.jpg

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I'm assuming this has probably been posted already, but autographed copies of "Sid Meier's Memoir!" are still available here.
I received mine about two weeks ago and have been casually reading through it. I think it's an interesting book.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So it looks like I'll have to wait and pray for an eventual Dark Horse translated release of the 13 Sentinels Double Helix artbook.

From these product images it's clear that there is a ton of text in there, so I'd be unable to read most of its content if I went the import route.

13-sentinels-aegis-rim-official-archives-double-helix-script-collection-double-strand-dx-limited-edition-book-.jpg
Jeez. I was just coming in here to ask if they would be in english.

Dec 22, 2017
Hey Guys!
I don't know if it can be considered spam, if that's the case I can delete the post, but I'm uploading my book collection to Youtube. So if you're interested, you can take a look! For now I uploaded the artbooks for Cyberpunk, The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part 2.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Guys!
I don't know if it can be considered spam, if that's the case I can delete the post, but I'm uploading my book collection to Youtube. So if you're interested, you can take a look! For now I uploaded the artbooks for Cyberpunk, The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part 2.

Nice production! I'm sure this would be welcome here. How do you keep the camera in place?

------

I don't want to risk any books getting lost or damaged during the holidays, so I'm on vacation from collecting until next year. :)