• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 1 is having a second artbook (covering extensions by the look of it) and I'm very surprised. We talked here about the problem of games as services with Overwatch not covering its last character, but it's super nice to see Destiny covering it's following years. I approve even if the timing is pretty odd (read late)

Thanks to wario64, Amazon now has listed the Art of God of War book. Published by Dark Horse.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-God-Sony...02-20&linkId=afbf193b5c51f788623463ef99d5e91c

All God of War artbooks are now impossible to find. Don't miss this one if you want it when it comes out. I wouldn't wait too long after its release to get it.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
All God of War artbooks are now impossible to find. Don't miss this one if you want it when it comes out. I wouldn't wait too long after its release to get it.

Yup. I have the books for God of War III and Ascension which among my favorites because of the quality and content, especially the latter one with the gold leaf page edges and silk ribbon book mark.

Oct 25, 2017
I pre ordered that GOW book, but I hope the price comes down a bit. It's only listed at 184 pages of now, but that could change.

The Destiny Vol. 2 book is on pre order as well. Funny that it was originally listed at Art of Destiny 2 with the same cover as the game. Now it has changed to The Art of Destiny Vol. 2. Either way I'm excited to get it.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
My copy of Bitmap Books' NeoGeo: A Visual History and Viz Media's Yoshitaka Amano: Illustrations both came in the post today. I've gotta say, they're well worth the dosh for very different reasons.

The NeoGeo book is huuuuuuuuge, like over 400 full-colour pages and just under 3 kilos huge, so much so that reading it normally is very difficult for me unless I set it down somewhere. Otherwise, the book is packed with photos, promotional art, production and patent drawings, screenshots, pixel art, flyers - the works, it's pretty much all here. There's also a thread of small text pieces seeded throughout which tell the story of SNK's beginnings, the NeoGeo's inception and design as many different forms, its life as an arcade machine and as a console, its games (and their design and production), its successors, the Hyper NeoGeo and NG Pocket/Color, and at the end, a series of interviews with SNK luminaries from throughout its lifespan, from the beginning, through the dark days of SNK Playmore, to the present day, and a longer bit with some NG collectors about their hobby. I think my favourite sections so far, besides the interviews, are the character design and boxart sections, which feature art from the NG family through the years. I have to say, i'm thoroughly impressed with the quality of this book, both the physical construction of the volume itself and the contents therein, and would highly recommend this giant tome to anyone who's even slightly interested in SNK and Japanese gaming history ansd art in general. Just be sure you have a sturdy coffee table, or equally tough shelf. It was packed well, too - mine came with braces on each corner to protect the book from shock damage, something I've never seen before. Nice one, Bitmap Books.

The Amano book is a different beast - a softcover with dust jacket, similar to a million different Japanese-style artbooks out there, and weighing in at only 126 pages. I already own a reprint copy of the gigantic three-volume collection of Amano's Final Fantasy-related art known as The Sky, so I already have more than enough Final Fantasy art to last me a few years at least, so I was looking for a book of some of his other works - his earlier work for Tatsunoko Studios, his fine art works, etc. - stuff not covered in The Sky, and this Viz-published "mook" (magazine book) hits the spot. Peppered throughout are interviews with the man himself, discussing his career, the creative process, his own artistic techniques, his inspirations and influences, and a chronology of his career up to 2016, all amongst the gorgeous art from his cover illustrations, designs and production art, and various other works from his portfolio. All of this makes Yoshitaka Amano: Illustrations a much more artsy artbook than the NeoGeo one, since it's much more concerned with the actual artistic context and value of the man and his work that the "I look amazing on a coffee table" appeal of the NeoGeo book, Tell the truth, I've only skimmed through the first book of The Sky (it intimidates me!), so I don't know if it goes similarly in-depth, but I'd still recommend Illustrations for those who want to gain a deeper insight into Amano's work.

As for my next artbook? Well, like I said, my Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir Storybook Edition is coming soon, with its admittedly thin hardcover artbook and prints, so that'll be next, but after that, I guess I'll invest in the Super Famicom Box Art Collection from Bitmap Books, which sounds right up my alley. Is there anything similar for Megadrive/Genesis art?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I just learn about Mana Books its a french publisher, translating and releasing artbooks under contract. They buy the rights for Udon or Dark Horse books, translate them and publish them in France.

Here's their line up :
- Art of Overwatch
- Bloodborne artworks
- Art of Mass Effect Andromeda
- Art of Fallout 4
- FF Ultimania (FF 7, 8 & 9)
- Different game comics

I'm so surprised to see this lol. But it's very cool : FINALY we'll have an official publisher of artbook in france, so we keep the amazing work done by the original publishers and we have a translation... sure a bit later but still. It offers a physical presence on shelves in book and geek stores, it will lower the price of access for these books because we they don't have to be imported from England or the US anymore and it will maybe, hopefully, drive more people to the wonderful world of artbook and concept arts.

It's a tough market they go in, I wish them good luck, but I'm so happy something is being done by a brave group of people.

Their flyers are also so cool : they are presented in a fake SNES box and the flyer are on top, looking like a game cartridge !

grizzlybara

Oct 25, 2017
Got a confirmation email saying my Persona 5 art book shipped and i totally forgot i ordered it back in april lol. i was gonna cancel it bc it isn't hard cover but forgot. Regardless 25$ isn't too bad, excited either way!!

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
May I ask which one? The JP-only Official Design Works, or the new American one with the sausage party cover?

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I pre ordered that GOW book, but I hope the price comes down a bit. It's only listed at 184 pages of now, but that could change.

The Destiny Vol. 2 book is on pre order as well. Funny that it was originally listed at Art of Destiny 2 with the same cover as the game. Now it has changed to The Art of Destiny Vol. 2. Either way I'm excited to get it.

Same. Feels like I've been waiting forever!!!

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything similar for Megadrive/Genesis art?

There's this retrospective by ROM (ships from the UK): https://readonlymemory.vg/shop/book/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works/
Lots of interviews and some previously unpublished stuff in this one. There's also a video preview on the old Kickstarter page for more ideas of the size and layouts: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works-reprint

SgtWiggles

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to finally be getting my Persona 5 book tomorrow. Also put in an order for that Kirby book on Amazon JP, despite it saying it would take a month or two to ship its already charged me and preparing for shipment?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 1 is having a second artbook (covering extensions by the look of it) and I'm very surprised. We talked here about the problem of games as services with Overwatch not covering its last character, but it's super nice to see Destiny covering it's following years. I approve even if the timing is pretty odd (read late)
It's art for Destiny 2, not the first game. It also got delayed. It was originally suppose to come out close to the end of November.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to finally be getting my Persona 5 book tomorrow. Also put in an order for that Kirby book on Amazon JP, despite it saying it would take a month or two to ship its already charged me and preparing for shipment?

Amazon.jp shipping has generally been awesome for me. I'm getting that kirby book and some other stuff tomorrow, which is less than 24 hours after the thing released in Japan.

By comparison my order for the Persona 5 artbook hasn't even shipped and says I won't get it till the end of next week. I can't even remember the last time US amazon shipped one of my preorders on time, let alone early.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
Is anyone of you getting "Kirby Art & Style Collection"? It will be released on the 2nd November, so quite soon!
I hope we'll get some of the development documents.

pm4R0j7.png

Amazon.co.jp
Aaaaaand bought.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Received The Sky yesterday. Mother of God it's unbelievably heavy. Really happy with it, but could use a little more words. I recognize most of the characters and enemies, but not the names. Great pickup though.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Received The Sky yesterday. Mother of God it's unbelievably heavy. Really happy with it, but could use a little more words. I recognize most of the characters and enemies, but not the names. Great pickup though.

Just put in an order for it when i saw there was only 2 left in stock on amazon. Can't wait for the shipment on monday!

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
My collection is huge now. I've slowed down this past year though. When I've got more disposable income, I'm picking things back up. That Destiny 2 book is sure as bought.

vertti

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Neo Geo book from Bitmap Books today. Also ordered the Kirby Art and Style Collection. But I'm the most excited about the upcoming Snes Compendium. Can't wait!

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see more collections--might even post my very small collection when I get home. I have like 6-7 books, but I love leafing through them.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I just got Prima Games' The Art of Persona 5. The cover is a glossy dust jacket. The actual cover is also glossy and uses the same art as the steelbook. Content-wise, it seems all right. There is some creator commentary here and there. I don't own the JP version, so I can't really compare them though.

Last edited:

Edmonton

Oct 28, 2017
I hadn't seen them mentioned here (saw some mentions of the Art of God of War series but not sure if they're the same as this) so I figured I'd chime in.

The Art of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves
The Art of God of War III
The Art of Gears of War 3

All by Ballistic Publishing. Listing here show sold out ( http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/ under their 'art of the game' section). They've only done three specifically game oriented books but they're very high quality and some of the internals go really into depth about the design and creation of the art and direction.

They're a bit hard to find now, but I would highly recommend them if you can find a copy. Although not strictly game related, their expose, exotique and d'artiste are also very high quality and rewarding to go through.

grizzlybara

Oct 25, 2017
I got the P5 art book and it's kinda disappointing. The fact they changed the cover from the jpn version sucks and I didn't even see that artwork in the book (though it's possible I missed it) Also it's really odd that the characters they chose to showcase on the sleeve were yusuke ryoji and haru. I wonder how they chose them. Idk it just feels really low budget, i wish it was 10$ more if it meant having more love put into it. Tbh unless you really need to have it, I'd suggest passing on it.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon UK told me P5 book won't be there before the end of November. I'm considering canceling it after the early feedback. I can still get the Japanese one and wait for Udon if they ever do one.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
The Art of Gears of War 3

I've been meaning to get this one but it's 2x the price of most other art books I bought so far. I should probably decide whether to get it now or just forget about it because it sure won't get cheaper. If the quality really is high I might have to cave in...

Oct 31, 2017
Was the Bloodborne artbook softcover or hardcover ? Because the French version seems to be hardcover.

http://mana-books.com/catalogues/bloodborne/bloodborne-artbook-officiel/bloodborne-artbook-officiel

Thanks to wario64, Amazon now has listed the Art of God of War book. Published by Dark Horse.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-God-Sony...02-20&linkId=afbf193b5c51f788623463ef99d5e91c

... I think I need this.

I just learn about Mana Books its a french publisher, translating and releasing artbooks under contract. They buy the rights for Udon or Dark Horse books, translate them and publish them in France.

Here's their line up :
- Art of Overwatch
- Bloodborne artworks
- Art of Mass Effect Andromeda
- Art of Fallout 4
- FF Ultimania (FF 7, 8 & 9)
- Different game comics

I'm so surprised to see this lol. But it's very cool : FINALY we'll have an official publisher of artbook in france, so we keep the amazing work done by the original publishers and we have a translation... sure a bit later but still. It offers a physical presence on shelves in book and geek stores, it will lower the price of access for these books because we they don't have to be imported from England or the US anymore and it will maybe, hopefully, drive more people to the wonderful world of artbook and concept arts.

It's a tough market they go in, I wish them good luck, but I'm so happy something is being done by a brave group of people.

Their flyers are also so cool : they are presented in a fake SNES box and the flyer are on top, looking like a game cartridge !

Kurokawa is releasing the Bravely Default artbook in French next week (November 9th) ;)

Kamenjojo

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think the cover for the p5 artbook looks way better then it does on amazon. Also boy it's a lot of art. it's great

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I purchased the GeeksLine Nintendo 64 Anthology book posted in the OP, and its absolutely fantastic! Possibly the best gaming-related coffee table book I've ever seen... profiles of every game ever released for the system, technical breakdowns, system histories. I'm not even a big N64 guy, but this book is something anyone who grew up in tgat era will appreciate.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Nice, a gaming book thread... :)... Starting to get in the world of artbooks/encyclopedias since I bought the Hyrule Historia. Already preordered Hyrule Encyclopedia (for the sake of the trilogy completion) and waiting for translation info for the last one of the Zelda books (Master Works).

That Shovel Knight artbook looks nice but it's a bummer it's just only on paperback on Amazon US... :/... If there's a hardcover version of it, I'll buy it instantly.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Would love to see more collections--might even post my very small collection when I get home. I have like 6-7 books, but I love leafing through them.

This is our collection of gaming art books and guides (plus a couple of issues of Scroll magazine). The plain black book between Soejima and Tomb Raider is the Skyrim art book. That's the only one I had to go on ebay to buy as a birthday present for my wife. My two favorites are the Bloodborne guide, and to the left of it the Bayonetta guide which I got from Amazon UK not long before they became really hard to find and very expensive.

wmgVvWK.jpg

Last edited:

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my Bloodborne book next week! So amped.

Realized only after the fact that this Udon release was paperback, is it good? Also, does a hard cover version even exist?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
In a good way? or bad way? Mine is still unopened.

In a good way. The game is flawed. Frustrating. Full of weird design choices... The book dont make it any better...

But it shines a light on many overlooked details, decisions, intentions or even things you didn't see, understood or simply werent explained / obvious enough. it gives you an ESSENTIAL understanding of the world and a different look at the game, as a whole (not just as a game, but with all the man power, work, art, design, themes, etc...)

Its not just an artbook : it's a post mortem of the entire journey, with a guide (it has an entire walkthrough with the team's commentary and design documents, sketches, art...)