• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I remember a post at the old place from someone who claimed to work for Udon Ent, saying they regarded Persona 4 Design Works as an 'evergreen' title and were working on re-printing it soon. Does anyone know if there's been an update on that?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a post at the old place from someone who claimed to work for Udon Ent, saying they regarded Persona 4 Design Works as an 'evergreen' title and were working on re-printing it soon. Does anyone know if there's been an update on that?

He said in the upcoming months... Let's trust him and be patient.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Is it even possible to find dark souls 1 design works anymore??

Also, just ordered The Sky. Should come Wednesday. Looking forward to it!

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up this Assassins Creed book at B&N bargain bin last night.

BQTuPpE.jpg

l7YbXQS.jpg

42C2yhs.jpg

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Both the Monster Hunter Illustrations books are great, especially because most of the promotional art that they use otherwise are CG renders. There's a third volume covering 4 and Generations but it hasn't been translated yet.
Art of Over the Garden Wall came today!
It's not just an art book, it's practically a documentary of the making of the series in book form.
I love it.
I have Steven Universe Art and Origins and it's the same way with a focus on concept and development art.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what happened to that Mario Encyclopedia that was supposed to come out this summer? I still kept the bookmark to figure out if it ever got canned or what happened. I think last I heard, pre-orders were taken off from EU site.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/19/super-mario-bros-encyclopedia-headed-united-states-europe-june/

I've gotten mine like 3 weeks ago. Although, it's the german version.

As an artbook, it's pretty underwhelming as most of the pictures are so small that it's not very fun to flip through. Even the cover arts don't get a full page treatment.

But as an encyclopedia, it's pretty decent.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread, this was one of my favorites back in the other site.

This past monday I received The Eyes of Bayonetta (thanks to that Amazon Audible promotion), and I gotta say is pretty fucking awesome, this is what I'm looking for in an artbook, lots of early concept works with notes from the artists and commentaries from the devs. I'm pretty happy with my choice, specially after the slight disappoinment that was my last purchase (Bloodborne Design Works).

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Can no one see my pics from my last post?

I couldn't but now I can... It's still uploaded on imgur ? I had to change all pic in OT because of imgur... weird...

I think I'll end up grabing AC artbooks one day. I skimmed through them at a library and I love how in deph they go into costumes for characters and npcs. It's nice to see so much work on the clothes.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll end up grabing AC artbooks one day. I skimmed through them at a library and I love how in deph they go into costumes for characters and npcs. It's nice to see so much work on the clothes.

I got the one posted by TigerTigerTiger. I love the work Ubisoft artists do on those games but buying one for each one of them would be a bit too much so I went with the compilation.

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't but now I can... It's still uploaded on imgur ? I had to change all pic in OT because of imgur... weird...

Cool. I used imgur and changed it to HTTP instead of HTTPS. Hope that works everyone now.

Eiderann

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone happen to know whatever happened to Bluecanvas? They published three artbooks to my knowledge (Journey, The Order: 1886, and Homeworld) and have since vanished. I really wanted to get the Journey artbook, but it looks like that ship may have sailed in the 'affordable artbook' purchase category.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you had a chance to read through it yet - would you recommend it? I still love chunks of the Assassins' Creed franchise and would love to get my hands on a copy if it's got some interesting insight in it.

It has a little bit of everything in it. Lots of concept art for characters/landscapes/promo art. It also has a bit of reading as well. Most of the games are covered even Liberation and Chronicles. I have AC3 and Black Flag books and I feel like they took the "best of" for those. Overall it's a nice book and I really enjoy the settings for AC games. The books tops out at just over 300 pages.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
The ZX Spectrum is 35 years old this year. I'd recommend this visual compendium to any collectors who keep the Spectrum memories close to their heart, very good bang for the buck especially the hardcover version. The print quality is outstanding. I grew up with these games and the book seems to cover a lot of history with detailed info, developer insights and plenty of very colorful artwork. Don't judge by the size, this book is quite hefty and has both text and pictures in large amounts.

Q79Ow1f.jpg

I mean, what's not to love when your inner cover has good ol Basic all over it :-)
jDj6NND.jpg

M1INwjB.jpg

1qeajPj.jpg

feiQTis.jpg

ai5pTTX.jpg

I've only had this book for like two hours and already thinking I should get the Commodore 64 and Amiga visual compendiums in the same series too, although I've never owned one of those.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I just started going to Uwajimaya right outside Portland, and they have a Kinokuniya Japanese book store. The place is stacked with domestic and imported art books.

That place is one of my favorite places in the 'city'. I head out there every month or so. The one in Seattle's bookstore is at least 2-3 times the size too, and also amazing. Definitely check it out if you get up there. Over the years I have picked up quite a few Monster Hunter CG Artworks books, and even had them order a few of the Monster Hunter japanese guides (these things put other guides to shame). I also picked up the FFXIV Eorzea Encyclopedia there, the official P4 Artbook and a japanese Splatoon artbook. It's insanely hard not to spend a stupid amount of money walking in to that place...

This. The overall quality of everything is very high and there is some neat content in the book. I love some of the early concept and character art. I wasn't sure about the slip cover but it looks very nice in person.

I preordered this for my daughter and we got it last week. It is just astoundingly beautiful. So very well put together, heavy as hell, and packed with really lovely concept art. I haven't played Overwatch in a while now, but she hasn't stopped. She's in love with the thing.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
That place is one of my favorite places in the 'city'. I head out there every month or so. The one in Seattle's bookstore is at least 2-3 times the size too, and also amazing. Definitely check it out if you get up there. Over the years I have picked up quite a few Monster Hunter CG Artworks books, and even had them order a few of the Monster Hunter japanese guides (these things put other guides to shame). I also picked up the FFXIV Eorzea Encyclopedia there, the official P4 Artbook and a japanese Splatoon artbook. It's insanely hard not to spend a stupid amount of money walking in to that place...

I am only allowed one purchase per visit. That is how we keep from going bankrupt. Also thanks for the heads up about the Seattle store. I can't wait to check it out.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see this thread back as a proper OT, most of my artbooks aren't related to video games so I never posted often, but this was a favorite thread of mine.

Is anyone of you getting "Kirby Art & Style Collection"? It will be released on the 2nd November, so quite soon!
I hope we'll get some of the development documents.

pm4R0j7.png

Amazon.co.jp

I had no idea this was a thing, my love for kirby makes this an instant order.

Does anyone have the Japanese Nier: Automata World Guide book? I'm thinking of picking it up but was hoping for some thoughts on it first.
I got it, there's some fun stuff in there, but I wouldn't call it an artbook, actually without speaking japanese there really isn't much of anything for you. That said it and the strategy guide come together to look like an Emil face, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to buy the strategy guide solely because it would look nice on my shelf.

I hope Akihiko Yoshida puts out an artbook with lots of Nier Automata stuff the same way D.K. did with the first Nier.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Akihiko Yoshida puts out an artbook with lots of Nier Automata stuff the same way D.K. did with the first Nier.

Didn't he only did the design for the three main characters? I don't know if there's enough material for a full book just with his art.

Either way, with the game's success I hope they make a proper Nier:A Artbook/Design Works for the west. I too have the World Guide and I've been contemplating buying the guide just to complete the set.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
HadesHotgun My pleasure! That place deserves the love. I'd love it if the local store here was as large as Seattle's but I will take what I can get. Next time you head that way you should swing by Mo Cha Teahouse too, not far down the road. Seattle has a second floor in their bookstore, a lot more toys/stationary and generally more books. I've lucked out there with art books I was unable to find in the Portland store (btw your artwork is quite nice).

A few other bits of info, you can get an annual membership that gets you a discount. Much like any rewards type program elsewhere. Also you can shop online and have the items shipped free to the store for pickup. For those that don't have one of their stores locally, they have a great selection of Japanese guide books and art books that ship pretty quickly all over the place. I don't work there, just love the place.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
hopper7 Well that's what I mean when I say I want something like D.K.'s book. His book was maybe 40% Nier and the rest was other stuff because there wasn't enough Nier to fill the whole book (and that's all we ever got artbook wise since the Nier world guide is also a big disappointment from an art perspective). It sure would be nice if Automata could get an artbook all to itself, but I'd be happy with anything that's more art focused and has Automata in it.

As an aside would it be a good idea to add stuff like Parkablogs or Halcyon Realms to the OP? They do more than just artbooks, but I find them useful for discovering cool stuff I didn't know about and oftentimes when I'm not sure if I want a book they've already reviewed it. I don't know any others, but I'd be interested to hear other people's sources of info.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I also check Parkablogs and Halcyon Realms for artbook reviews. :)

I hope Prima's Persona 5 artbook is decent. Although I got it for really cheap, so that doesn't hurt.. but I'm still disappointed with that cover.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside would it be a good idea to add stuff like Parkablogs or Halcyon Realms to the OP? They do more than just artbooks, but I find them useful for discovering cool stuff I didn't know about and oftentimes when I'm not sure if I want a book they've already reviewed it. I don't know any others, but I'd be interested to hear other people's sources of info.

I've been considering adding a more broader section to the OT, to introduce movie artbooks and more general geek culture but I'm not sure how. I'll keep these blog links in a corner to update the OT soon

chub

Oct 28, 2017
The ZX Spectrum is 35 years old this year. I'd recommend this visual compendium to any collectors who keep the Spectrum memories close to their heart, very good bang for the buck especially the hardcover version. The print quality is outstanding. I grew up with these games and the book seems to cover a lot of history with detailed info, developer insights and plenty of very colorful artwork. Don't judge by the size, this book is quite hefty and has both text and pictures in large amounts.
Looks great, and definitely appeals to me. Did you buy it directly from bitmap books? I checked Amazon, but they only have the paperback edition.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great, and definitely appeals to me. Did you buy it directly from bitmap books? I checked Amazon, but they only have the paperback edition.
For me this one was a lucky find at the local discount bookstore, but they didn't have any of the other volumes so I'll need to use Amazon, Bookdepository or Bitmap Books as well.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017

Q79Ow1f.jpg

I mean, what's not to love when your inner cover has good ol Basic all over it :-)
jDj6NND.jpg

M1INwjB.jpg

1qeajPj.jpg

feiQTis.jpg

ai5pTTX.jpg

I've only had this book for like two hours and already thinking I should get the Commodore 64 and Amiga visual compendiums in the same series too, although I've never owned one of those.

I've never played on a ZX Spectrum (I'm in the US) but that book looks really good. Might have to get it along with some other Bitmap books.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at a convention. Just met some people from Amplitude (endless space endless legend) they have a stand there. I asked them when is the endless saga artbook coming its long overdue! Maybe one day they said haha

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Shovel Knight art book, it's one of those games where seeing the sprites and art side by side is leading to a lot of "so THAT's what I'm supposed to be seeing!"

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
It's really annoying that the AC: Origins art book appears to not be available in the UK, having to import it for an extra fiver is a shame. I feel like waiting for a few weeks in case it ends up releasing over here late is the sensible option.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just got the Overwatch Art Book (just the standard edition) and have to say it's definitely one of the best ones yet. Content-wise it goes above and beyond and overall presentatio is just immaculate. Would be nice to get more explanations to how they ended up with the designs like they did, but a glowing recommendation for the book from me still.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
I just yesterday bought the Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Storybook Edition (the one with the hardcover artbook and all sorts of other gubbins) and a copy of Yoshitaka Amano: Illustrations for around a tenner. looking forward to getting both of them this week in the mail.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten mine like 3 weeks ago. Although, it's the german version.

As an artbook, it's pretty underwhelming as most of the pictures are so small that it's not very fun to flip through. Even the cover arts don't get a full page treatment.

But as an encyclopedia, it's pretty decent.

I've flipped through the Japanese version, and it looked nicely presented. I have a feeling they did cancel the english version, though :/

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
santa-lilio-sangre-cohukyl.jpg

I could really recommend Santa Lilio Sangre, featuring Ayami Kojima's artworks.

"This book features illustrations by the artist who created Castlevania's and many other video game designs - Ayami Kojima. Self-taught, she has crafted many original designs for Castlevania and other games that are also featured in this art book. This book features many Gothic designs of the imagery of religion that made her famous along with some Western influences from her past as well. This is a must have for all Ayami Kojima or Castlevania fans. 200 pages. Japanese text. Colored and B&W. Hardcover. Bind & Published in Japan."

(Took these photo's with my phone, and the potato quality doesn't really do the beauty any justice)
ak6bj17.png

I own the book and it's my far a favourite. It's a sturdy hardcover with high quality paper featuring many of her works.
Fans of Castlevania will definitely appreciate it, as well as people that enjoy Gothic/dark art.
Contains a few gore and NSFW images.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
santa-lilio-sangre-cohukyl.jpg

I could really recommend Santa Lilio Sangre, featuring Ayami Kojima's artworks.

"This book features illustrations by the artist who created Castlevania's and many other video game designs - Ayami Kojima. Self-taught, she has crafted many original designs for Castlevania and other games that are also featured in this art book. This book features many Gothic designs of the imagery of religion that made her famous along with some Western influences from her past as well. This is a must have for all Ayami Kojima or Castlevania fans. 200 pages. Japanese text. Colored and B&W. Hardcover. Bind & Published in Japan."

(Took these photo's with my phone, and the potato quality doesn't really do the beauty any justice)
ak6bj17.png

I own the book and it's my far a favourite. It's a sturdy hardcover with high quality paper featuring many of her works.
Fans of Castlevania will definitely appreciate it, as well as people that enjoy Gothic/dark art.
Contains a few gore and NSFW images.

This is one example of a book I love the art but never played the games... Of course it's expensive now... I have a hard time buying something pricey for a game series I don't personally have a good knowledge off... But the art looks so good... It's always a dilema !

Got this in the mail today! Heavy as hell!

Mine is on the way, not this limited set, only the basic book.

Can we buy the artbook separately from the game?

I'm not sure. I bought mine used but it's the same from the CE so I think that's where it came from.