• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Got an email from Bitmap Books detailing some of their 2020 plans:

- Atari 2600/7200 Visual Compendium pre-orders start January & will ship out in April.

- a book based on the site "The Games That Weren't", all about unreleased games, is set to be published in May.

Since 1999, Frank Gasking has been running the hugely popular website The Games That Weren't (GTW), where he and his team have relentlessly catalogued unreleased video games across all systems. Where possible, they tell the story behind each cancellation, and in some occasions have even exclusively released the previously unseen game ROM for the community to enjoy. For the last 12 months, Bitmap Books have been working with Frank to create a book that will be packed full of unreleased game stories – many of which are exclusive to the book. The Games That Weren't is currently in development so watch this space for more information.

- Hardcore Gaming 101 to team up & create a book called "A Guide to Japanese Role Playing Games", set to be published Dec. 2020

Kurt Kalata is a well known author already with many retro gaming titles under his belt, under the banner of his hugely popular Hardcore Gaming 101 website. He has a huge passion for Japanese Role-Playing Games (JRPG's) and for years has dreamt of producing a premium coffee table book on this subject. In the early stages of development, A Guide to Japanese Role Playing Games will aim to catalogue and review the biggest and best modern and retro JRPG's as well as documenting the history of this popular genre. Kurt's aim for the project is that every Japanese RPG fan picking up the book to come away and learn something new. Keep following us for more information.

- I'll throw this in since Micro Machines had a ton of games. "Micro but Many: an Unofficial Micro Machines Collection" will catalogue the cars with over 1,000 pictures & is due in March.

Introduced by the fast-talking Micro Machines Man of the TV commercials, Micro but Many: an unofficial Micro Machines collection features over 1000 beautifully photographed Micro Machines – the must-have miniature cars of our misspent youth. Designed and created by Tim Smith, this book is a rare collection of the most loved Micro Machines from the 1980s, 1990s and beyond – including some never before seen! Curated by collectors and the original Micro Machines designers over six sections, Micro but Many is a nostalgic, visual showroom for one man's toy car collection. Take a spin down memory lane in a race car, plane, tank, truck, motorbike, boat or even the Lunar Rover – all are included, with detailed photography and stats. The book also provides an under-the-hood look at how these diminutive wonders were created, showing off prototypes and unreleased vehicles as well as insights and anecdotes from the original Micro Machines designers.

Micro but Many comes with an animated lenticular cover, metallic foil blocked pages and four colourful bookmark ribbons. Micro but Many: an unofficial Micro Machines collection is sure to appeal to children of the 90s, auto enthusiasts and Micro Machines fans alike.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to post this. thanks !

Glad they are reprinting their successful books. Their projects for 2020 are very intriguing !

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
That "Games That Weren't" book reminds me I want to get the Unseen64 book "Video Games You Will Never Play" but the color version is always $50. One that's been on my list but I usually just get something cheaper like the next HG101 book.

Probably should get that ZX Spectrum book before it goes out of print since it's the only visual compendium of theirs I don't have. Funny how the hardback is way cheaper than the paperback.

Also worth noting they said they're reprinting the Neogeo Visual History & NES Visual Compendium books which should be available mid-December. No reprint for the low in stock Commodore 64 book, but they may do an updated version. Same goes for "Gremlin in the Works" book, which is out of stock.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So despite being in the game industry, and appreciating game art and artists a great deal as they have been crucial to bringing my designs to life, game art books have never been something I've gotten into.

My 13yo is an aspiring artist and is legitimately talented for their age, and wants to get into game art. What are some of the better game-specific art books? I'm more interested in them getting ones that actually talk a least a little through the process so that they can learn from more than just the visuals. I've already put a similar question out to some of the artists I work with but wanted to ask here, too.

Thanks in advance!

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
So despite being in the game industry, and appreciating game art and artists a great deal as they have been crucial to bringing my designs to life, game art books have never been something I've gotten into.

My 13yo is an aspiring artist and is legitimately talented for their age, and wants to get into game art. What are some of the better game-specific art books? I'm more interested in them getting ones that actually talk a least a little through the process so that they can learn from more than just the visuals. I've already put a similar question out to some of the artists I work with but wanted to ask here, too.

Thanks in advance!

Any of the Capcom Works books, such as Breath of Fire: Complete Works, have artist commentary about how they approached several illustrations or promotional art pieces (including going over revisions and the like). The Art of Splatoon/Art of Splatoon 2 is a more extreme case case of that.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles may fit the bill as well, as there's tons of comments about how the artists tried their best making art/designs that was "a believable lie" when it came to creating a world that had elements of fantasy, but was still grounded in reality, along with creating characters that would best fit said world.

Finally finished reading it this morning, will have to try getting 2 & 3 down the line. Did they release one based on 4 yet (which I still need to play)?

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
What are some of the better game-specific art books? I'm more interested in them getting ones that actually talk a least a little through the process so that they can learn from more than just the visuals.

I was very impressed with the recently released (in English) Art of Super Mario Odyssey - lots of sketches and commentary ("Designer's Notes") there. Break downs of enemies and attacks and outfits, unused content etc.

The Breath of the Wild - Creating a Champion also has a bit of that in it - layouts for environments, designers notes (talking about inspirations and approaches). Also amazing art.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I was very impressed with the recently released (in English) Art of Super Mario Odyssey - lots of sketches and commentary ("Designer's Notes") there. Break downs of enemies and attacks and outfits, unused content etc.

The Breath of the Wild - Creating a Champion also has a bit of that in it - layouts for environments, designers notes (talking about inspirations and approaches). Also amazing art.
Dark Horse has been putting out fantastic artbooks since they got into doing them. They're probably my favorite artbook publisher at the moment. They're sturdy, and the pages are nice and thick. I'm still a fan of Udon's books, but they don't have quite the same price / quality ratio that Dark Horse's books do.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is about babies with you lately. BBs, Yodas, and now this.

And yes, I was reading this godforsaken thread because of your bad influence.
Artbooks are basically babies. They aren't even a thing I got into overnight. I bought one here and there for games I really enjoyed. I had a collection before I realized it.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Received my HG101 Japanese Video Game Obscurities book yesterday. Feels a bit weird owning a hardcover copy of a HG101 book. If I had to nitpick, I kinda wish that for certain games that mention specific ports, they had screenshots of said different ports instead of all 8 pictures being from the same version, though I suppose I get that they just wanted to show off the original version of said game. That, and while I do like how chapters are based on genre, I wish there was an order to the games, like by title or release year instead of seemingly random. But otherwise, looking at the list, I've probably only heard about like a 3rd of the games, either via HG101's other books, Region Locked (which I'm still waiting on that book version), or just from years of being online.

Anyone heard of ROM's Dreamcast Collected Works shipping yet? Their site says it'd ship early November but it's already past the halfway point. Doubt it'll happen, but would love to get it as a Xmas gift but wanna ensure it's actually available.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Please recommend me a Kazuma Kaneko and where to buy it. I have decided I must own one... at least.
I'd say the first two volumes are the essential ones. They cover the demons from the first two Super Famicom SMT games. Otherwise, just pick the volume that covers your favorite game. I believe Volume III covers Nocturne, IV and V cover Devil Summoner 1 (not Raidou!), VI and VII cover Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers, and VIII covers the first two Persona games. You'll want to double check that I have that right before buying.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, really? I got the paperback quite a few years ago as a gift & had no idea it was considered rare. I sure seem to have a few books where I learn they're actually rare & valuable.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching the Mandalorian and they have beautiful concept art shown during the end credits. I hope after they're done releasing all of the episodes Disney puts out an art book.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need it SpongeBob.gif

Phew those are some tempting deals

I would buy the Spidey ones but I'm literally out of shelf space.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got two of the Ultimanias I've been holding out on and the Monster Hunter Illustrations 2 for $60. Not bad not bad

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Will it say on the product page if a book qualifies for B2G1? I may check & see if specific books are on sale then ask if I can get them as gifts.

Edit: Yup, looks like it will.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
God they keep adding more! Making it really hard for me to hold back from buying more. I might have to go all out and buy another 3 while it's still up.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Ok I splurged. Haul:
Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Vol 1, 2, and 3
Darkstalkers Official Complete Works
Bloodbourne Official Artworks
Dark Souls 3: Design Works
6 for $135 total

I'm gonna have sooo much arts

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I have the Dark Soul 1 and Bloodborne Design Worlds and the three Zelda encyclopedia and this Black Friday I'm almost buying the design works from DkS 2 and 3 and the Breath of the Wild encyclopedia

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I splurged. Haul:
Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Vol 1, 2, and 3
Darkstalkers Official Complete Works
Bloodbourne Official Artworks
Dark Souls 3: Design Works
6 for $135 total

I'm gonna have sooo much arts
I think I'm going for 6 as well. Currently have Ultimania 1 and 3 plus MonHun's 2nd book, but MMZero, Mario Odyssey, and Bayonetta have been books I've been eyeing for months.