• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on the RDR2 Artbook? Was it officially announced at all?

anyway, I would post some pics but money has been tight and I haven't bought any artbooks in months.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Got the Neo Geo: A Visual History book to compliment my capcom ones.

Now i gotta setup Capcom vs SNK in my head..

60BU9Eu.jpg

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Warcraft artbook; it's quite good. Has a few Wei Wang designs and stuff from Artstation. Content doesn't overlap with any of the Blizzard books which is nice after you already have ten of them.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I hate to barge in on threads without reading on them properly but I saw an ad today for a new The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind up for pre-order on Amazon. I always wanted to collect art books, both for my favorite works of fictions and famous artists but I just never found the right time.

Is anyone else ordering this? I also wanna order another artbook but I'm really lost with all the choices. I'd love something with lots of landscape/adventurous pieces in the style of bravely default or Isamu Kamikokuryo from Final Fantasy (https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...reatest-artist-final-fantasy-ever-had.104535/).

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I spent time at a friends with The star wars art of Ralph Macquarrie (I stole all pictures from google I didn't take any pics):

Livres-Star-wars-tout-l-art-de-ralph-mcquarrie-volume-1-huginn-muninn.jpg

its superb. It's a massive format and 400 pages long. It's huge and heavy and my god its beautiful. It has rough sketches to colors to production art of the entire movie. From creatures to ships, story boards, sets & locations... It's everything Ralph Macquarrie drew for Star Wars. I think the first book cover the first movie as the second book covers Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. It has even a small commentary or sentence of legend for each piece, explaining what it is and sometimes some purpose and idea behind them. Its insane.

61v9Fg62piL.jpg

61z7qxdodnL.jpg

There are expensive, about 75 euros per book but there is an edition with both books coming with a cool slipcase for around 200 euros out there too:

Book-ArtofSW-RalphMcQuarrie-1a.jpg

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
That collection looks stunning!

Gaming related, there's a Devil May Cry 5 Graphic Designs Works book coming next month on April 20th. No western plans but you can order it via Amazon JP and they'll ship internationally.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I spent time at a friends with The star wars art of Ralph Macquarrie (I stole all pictures from google I didn't take any pics):

Livres-Star-wars-tout-l-art-de-ralph-mcquarrie-volume-1-huginn-muninn.jpg

its superb. It's a massive format and 400 pages long. It's huge and heavy and my god its beautiful. It has rough sketches to colors to production art of the entire movie. From creatures to ships, story boards, sets & locations... It's everything Ralph Macquarrie drew for Star Wars. I think the first book cover the first movie as the second book covers Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. It has even a small commentary or sentence of legend for each piece, explaining what it is and sometimes some purpose and idea behind them. Its insane.

61v9Fg62piL.jpg

61z7qxdodnL.jpg

There are expensive, about 75 euros per book but there is an edition with both books coming with a cool slipcase for around 200 euros out there too:

Book-ArtofSW-RalphMcQuarrie-1a.jpg

Nice photos! I'm glad they're making another edition becase the large set is too expensive for those with only a passing curiosity.

~~~~

Amano Book Review #1: Maten
Amano Book Review #2: Hiten
Amano Book Review #3: Think Like Amano

Amano Book Review #4: The Virgin (ISBN 9784894528468 )

qgXMKgh.jpg

The Virgin is Amano's 2004 release, which focuses on the female form. This book features a variety of different mediums, from pastels, to ink and charcoal.

Many of these images are signed with the word "Paris", signifying they were drawn at his studio in the city's Latin Quarter. Amano retreats to this studio in the summer, away from frequent business meetings and the heat of Tokyo. The feeling of the city allows him to concentrate on his work while encouraging experimentation with various mediums.

I have chosen to share four pieces which demonstrate the consistency of his style among various mediums. The first is a pastel piece, which sacrifices precise detail to instead capture emotion within the use of vivid primary colors. The second is a lithograph of Final Fantasy's Terra, a perennial favorite of Amano's. This technique was used to create artwork for Final Fantasy VII and VIII .

The third is a set of two ink pieces painted in red. These drawings help demonstrate how efficiently Amano can render forms with simply a few lines. The fourth is another red piece, e whose dress recalls the similar "wave" dress of Yuna in the logo of Final Fantasy X. This woman is another frequent character of Amano's, although she does not seem to have a name.

Copies of this particular book are expensive, with cheaper copies available at around $30 or $40. Nonetheless, I highly recommend it if you are a fan of Amano's cartoons style or more experimental work. His book illustrations are also reproduced here, although many of them have been printed in more affordable volumes.

XlS7iZK.jpg
Ce8VzzK.jpg
Fb53uuy.jpg
Hq5vTSx.jpg

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any particularly great art books they love that are available digitally? I appreciate having something cool for a shelf, but at this point its just preferable/more convenient to view digitally on a tablet.

Any good stand outs?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Nice photos! I'm glad they're making another edition becase the large set is too expensive for those with only a passing curiosity.

~~~~

Amano Book Review #1: Maten
Amano Book Review #2: Hiten
Amano Book Review #3: Think Like Amano

Amano Book Review #4: The Virgin (ISBN 9784894528468 )

qgXMKgh.jpg

The Virgin is Amano's 2004 release, which focuses on the female form. This book features a variety of different mediums, from pastels, to ink and charcoal.

Many of these images are signed with the word "Paris", signifying they were drawn at his studio in the city's Latin Quarter. Amano retreats to this studio in the summer, away from frequent business meetings and the heat of Tokyo. The feeling of the city allows him to concentrate on his work while encouraging experimentation with various mediums.

I have chosen to share four pieces which demonstrate the consistency of his style among various mediums. The first is a pastel piece, which sacrifices precise detail to instead capture emotion within the use of vivid primary colors. The second is a lithograph of Final Fantasy's Terra, a perennial favorite of Amano's. This technique was used to create artwork for Final Fantasy VII and VIII .

The third is a set of two ink pieces painted in red. These drawings help demonstrate how efficiently Amano can render forms with simply a few lines. The fourth is another red piece, e whose dress recalls the similar "wave" dress of Yuna in the logo of Final Fantasy X. This woman is another frequent character of Amano's, although she does not seem to have a name.

Copies of this particular book are expensive, with cheaper copies available at around $30 or $40. Nonetheless, I highly recommend it if you are a fan of Amano's cartoons style or more experimental work. His book illustrations are also reproduced here, although many of them have been printed in more affordable volumes.

Hq5vTSx.jpg

great post. That last piece, wow... do you think one could by a print of that one ? :D

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it is on ebay right now so you can save yourself some time, but not money. XD

I do not know the measurements, but it's a legit signed print.

lhObxjP.jpg

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home

Available October 22.

Popped in here specifically hoping for news on this! Yay :D
I hate to barge in on threads without reading on them properly but I saw an ad today for a new The Art of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind up for pre-order on Amazon. I always wanted to collect art books, both for my favorite works of fictions and famous artists but I just never found the right time.

Is anyone else ordering this? I also wanna order another artbook but I'm really lost with all the choices. I'd love something with lots of landscape/adventurous pieces in the style of bravely default or Isamu Kamikokuryo from Final Fantasy (https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...reatest-artist-final-fantasy-ever-had.104535/).
This couldn't be the original Nausicaa artbook from 1984 could it? Same page count suggests as much. Odd (but welcome) English release after all this time.
I have the Watercolors art book, guess I'll have to get this one too. Thanks for the heads-up!

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017

Bravely Default has a nice hardcover art book currently available and the sequel game's art book is up for preorder.

You can't really go wrong with the FFIX art book series.

I don't know that any of them have a particular emphasis on landscapes though. For that you might look at any art books related to the films of Makoto Shinkai. Those typically have excellent landscapes though maybe not quite as adventurous and high fantasy oriented.

I'm hopeful that there will be some good fantasy landscapes in the art books for Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms, which are supposed to be coming out this summer. Akihiko (Bravely Default, FFT, FF12) Yoshida did the character designs for that film, but I don't know who designed the setting and landscapes.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Not video game related but some of you might like this all the same.

FLCL Archives (English Localisation)

9sz2g8.jpg
6fczgg.jpg

I did a little flip through for those curious about the content:

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Bravely Default has a nice hardcover art book currently available and the sequel game's art book is up for preorder.

You can't really go wrong with the FFIX art book series.

I don't know that any of them have a particular emphasis on landscapes though. For that you might look at any art books related to the films of Makoto Shinkai. Those typically have excellent landscapes though maybe not quite as adventurous and high fantasy oriented.

I'm hopeful that there will be some good fantasy landscapes in the art books for Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms, which are supposed to be coming out this summer. Akihiko (Bravely Default, FFT, FF12) Yoshida did the character designs for that film, but I don't know who designed the setting and landscapes.
In the case of Final Fantasy, I for sure wanted to get one of them, but I had no idea where to start because there were so many. A book focused on my favorite entry though is a perfect way to start.

I have never heard of Maquia nor the artist, but if he did work on FFXII then I'm checking it out for sure, thanks for the help! =)

slinch

Jan 20, 2018

I had the original set preordered for something like 120€ shipped, but cancelled at the last minute because the contents turned out to be quite different from what I expected. After seeing Mcquarrie's originals up close, these really should be given full pages on a large format, but the book looks to be more of a thumbnail collection. I get it, but it's not what I hoped.

I kind of regret cancelling now, hoping these separates will come down in price.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Looking to get into collecting some art books, always had an interest.

Anyone have any recommendations for some affordable options? Was looking at the Dishonored 2 art book, but it's recently shot up in price and is now OOS.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to get into collecting some art books, always had an interest.

Anyone have any recommendations for some affordable options? Was looking at the Dishonored 2 art book, but it's recently shot up in price and is now OOS.

Price will always be up there, as these are usually pretty big books and designed with quality in mind, from cover to the pages printed. If you are in the US, you will get cheap option, from amazon pre orders to sales from big book chains. Always look up for deal. If you are in europe, well, that's a bit harder and wilder. Some local publishers edit the books locally in different language, it can be cheaper, but they will come late.

If you want to try starting collecting, I advice looking for the book for the games you enjoyed. I always find a book to be a great way to push the experience further when I enjoyed my time with a game. Some artbooks will also go deeper into the making of the game, not only from the concept artists view, but also with level designers and gameplay designer talking about how a design should serve a function (character design, weapon design) etc... and some commentary is always welcome to explain an artist intent

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Me: Finally, my collection is almost complete.

Amazon Japan: Bitch you thought

300 pages, also comes with clear file and a postcard. I will post a review eventually.

Regular edition is only 3,240 yen if you don't want the extra goodies.

VRQuGAE.jpg

Last edited: