• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone imported The Art of Mario Odyssey? I really want a proper translation but if it's mostly art anyway I might just get it from Japan.

If you can wait until SDCC or Emerald City, Dark Horse might announce a translation there. They have been really good at bringing over the Nintendo books lately.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA

Considering how expensive the earlier copies run now, anyone interested should probably pick up the new hardcover of the Mega Man Zero Official Complete Works sooner rather than later.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to spend way too much on The Art of Persona 5 on eBay. Why didn't I buy this damn thing back in 2017 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
fatesartbook_thumb.jpg

Four years on since the pair of games' first release in Japan, Fire Emblem Fates is getting an official artbook release that collects art assets and concept art, as well as new official art by character designer Yusuke Kozaki.

That said, there seems to be some caveats, as Kozaki has tweeted out that sadly, he was unable to provide brand-new illustrations for every single character. On the other hand, he has put a large amount of effort into the cover art in order to make up for it. He hopes to have another opportunity to finish off the individual illustrations for each character.

The book is now available for pre-order on Amazon.jp, which you can find here

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/...t-april-25-2019-in-japan/#qtrPWSLEKHProWQT.99

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I blame him. There's so many FE characters now that by the time he finishes it will be time for the next installment.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
So how do we get a reprint in the works because I'm tired of waiting on and a reprint of 'Breath of Fire Complete Works' in English.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Question for the Aussies in here:
Have any of you managed to find the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 book anywhere that's not crazy expensive?
Best I can find is PlayAsia, but they want AU$50 for the book and another $30 for shipping, which seems ridiculous.
I haven't bought any books from Japan since Amazon JP started blocking Australian addresses and I'm struggling to find new places to order from :(
I miss you AmazonJP :<

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Question for the Aussies in here:
Have any of you managed to find the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 book anywhere that's not crazy expensive?
Best I can find is PlayAsia, but they want AU$50 for the book and another $30 for shipping, which seems ridiculous.
I haven't bought any books from Japan since Amazon JP started blocking Australian addresses and I'm struggling to find new places to order from :(
I miss you AmazonJP :<
Ignore Play Asia, they're both outrageously expensive and mega assholes.

I was going to suggest Books Kinokuniya, which is based in Sydney and has the book listed at $55, but they appear to be out of stock.
CDJapan has it though, not sure of the shipping :/
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2324377?s_ssid=e326055c779c31958f

I've ordered soundtracks from CD Japan before, they're pretty decent.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Ignore Play Asia, they're both outrageously expensive and mega assholes.

I was going to suggest Books Kinokuniya, which is based in Sydney and has the book listed at $55, but they appear to be out of stock.
CDJapan has it though, not sure of the shipping :/
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2324377?s_ssid=e326055c779c31958f

I've ordered soundtracks from CD Japan before, they're pretty decent.
Thanks for this!
CDJapan has the book + (cheapest)shipping for around AU$55 which isn't too bad. Never heard of Books Kinokuniya before though so I'll have to bookmark that one, thanks!

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Got my Xenoblade 2 artbook way earlier than anticipated (today instead of Monday)!!!

edit: oof, these are huge images. Sorry in advance lol

20190301_132311.jpg

20190301_132318.jpg

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Did anyone pick up the Left Alive guide + artbook yet? I've been considering it but I'm unsure if it's worth it as an artbook. It's 190 pages or so, but how much of that is the guide and how much of that is artwork? I love Shinkawa, but I don't need a guide at all.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah there's a section at the end with a lot of extra stuff beyond just art. Since I can't understand a lick of Japanese, I really want to know what they're talking about.
Isn't it just the dialogue scripts for all the blade exchanges in combat and the heart-to-heart events? I think they included all the bonus interactions that players could miss in the game because of unique conditions.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
My english localised version of "The Art Of Bravely Default" finally arrived.

The usual excellent job by Dark Horse.~

I out it next to some other books i had on my desk at work for a size comparison

img_20190306_172638__01.jpg

img_20190306_172703__01.jpg

img_20190306_172716__01_720.jpg

SadAmagami

Oct 25, 2017
It's not artbooks, but ordered the Destiny Grimoire Anthology Volume I and FF Ultimania Volumes I and II. Can't wait to read em! In terms of artbooks I'm a fan of:

Shooting Star Bebop Side: Durarara!
Gungrave Archives
Drag-On Dragoon/Drakengard 3 Artbook and Guide

Last one is really good, just hope my GF doesn't browse this thread cuz its a gift for her lol

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Book Review #1: Maten
Book Review #2: Hiten
Amano Book Review #3: Think Like Amano

"Think Like Amano", 1997, exhibition catalogue so no ISBN available.
Sources: New York Magazine, October 1997
Crains New York, July 1997

lu7O1rp.jpg

We're going to skip ahead 8 years to 1997. This is year Yoshitaka Amano launched his first major American showing, staged at the Puck Building in Manhattan. According to an October '97 article on the exhibit, New York was bombarded with ads on the subway and billboards plastered on the side of buildings. While this seems like a great expense, two articles from this era report that Amano grossed $40 million on the sales of prints and lithographs the previous year. Instead of finding a gallery to hang a show, he instead spent $40,000 on a space large enough to fit several incredibly large paintings. Some art critics took offense to this bombastic approach, with one saying that "this guy has an ego the size of a house". The "New-York sized" paintings created for this exhibit were created nearby in the same SoHo loft where Patrick Swayze's Ghost was filmed. Measuring 12 by 54 feet, the plethora of forms and vivid color simply don't translate on the printed page.

In the years between prior to this, Amano had been kept busy by commissions and of course, Final Fantasy. This exhibit also marks the beginning of his reduced contributions to the series, as now he only created the logo and a few promotional illustrations for each game. This book is nearly 300 pages, covering more than 15 years of work. While many of these images have been reproduced from previous books, it also covers his work for a Los Angeles Philharmonic production of 1001 Nights and production designs for several kabuki plays.

If you can find an affordable copy, this is the book to get for a comprehensive overview of Amano's work from the 80s and 90s. Oddly enough, it seems the larger paintings haven't been exhibited since. Luckily there are a few grainy photos which suggest their scale:

New York Nights I, 12 x 54 feet

m5nknYF.jpg

New York Nights II, 12 x 54 ft

hJ6YsU5.jpg

Wailing in the Wilderness, 15 x 22 inches

zT2VQJz.jpg

Night, 29 x 32 inches

HDafMM3.jpg

Ceiling Painting "Spring", 16 inches x 12 inches

trLuzma.jpg

Vjlsc1A.jpg
92W9wF5.jpg
kFGGLLD.jpg
rKWLU6P.jpg
IWM3fi5.jpg
TeXJg3R.jpg
mM4nP7o.jpg
BVFjcuY.jpg
KYYSmeg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Book Review #1: Maten
Book Review #2: Hiten
Amano Book Review #3: Think Like Amano

"Think Like Amano", 1997, exhibition catalogue so no ISBN available.
Sources: New York Magazine, October 1997
Crains New York, July 1997

lu7O1rp.jpg

We're going to skip ahead 8 years to 1997. This is year Yoshitaka Amano launched his first major American showing, staged at the Puck Building in Manhattan. According to an October '97 article on the exhibit, New York was bombarded with ads on the subway and billboards plastered on the side of buildings. While this seems like a great expense, two articles from this era report that Amano grossed $40 million on the sales of prints and lithographs the previous year. Instead of finding a gallery to hang a show, he instead spent $40,000 on a space large enough to fit several incredibly large paintings. Some art critics took offense to this bombastic approach, with one saying that "this guy has an ego the size of a house". The "New-York sized" paintings created for this exhibit were created nearby in the same SoHo loft where Patrick Swayze's Ghost was filmed. Measuring 12 by 54 feet, the plethora of forms and vivid color simply don't translate on the printed page.

In the years between prior to this, Amano had been kept busy by commissions and of course, Final Fantasy. This exhibit also marks the beginning of his reduced contributions to the series, as now he only created the logo and a few promotional illustrations for each game. This book is nearly 300 pages, covering more than 15 years of work. While many of these images have been reproduced from previous books, it also covers his work for a Los Angeles Philharmonic production of 1001 Nights and production designs for several kabuki plays.

If you can find an affordable copy, this is the book to get for a comprehensive overview of Amano's work from the 80s and 90s. Oddly enough, it seems the larger paintings haven't been exhibited since. Luckily there are a few grainy photos which suggest their scale:

New York Nights I, 12 x 54 feet

m5nknYF.jpg

New York Nights II, 12 x 54 ft

hJ6YsU5.jpg

Wailing in the Wilderness, 15 x 22 inches

zT2VQJz.jpg

Night, 29 x 32 inches

HDafMM3.jpg

Ceiling Painting "Spring", 16 inches x 12 inches

trLuzma.jpg

Vjlsc1A.jpg
92W9wF5.jpg
kFGGLLD.jpg
rKWLU6P.jpg
IWM3fi5.jpg
TeXJg3R.jpg
mM4nP7o.jpg
BVFjcuY.jpg
KYYSmeg.jpg
These are amazing. Reminds me of Gustav Klimt painting.

Amazing post.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Think Like Amano was the first artbook I ever got, I received it as a graduatation gift in '97. I took it to school once and one of my teachers was amazed I cared about something like that as I normally didn't talk about art much at all.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Think Like Amano was the first artbook I ever got, I received it as a graduation gift in '97. I took it to school once and one of my teachers was amazed I cared about something like that as I normally didn't talk about art much at all.

I didn't get into art until my junior year of HS myself. Of course I tried drawing a few images from the Sandman novel but they never turned out right lol

I won't review this one because you can get it at almost any public library system. Good stuff though.

vMimcaE.jpg
hAtgg9c.jpg

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get into art until my junior year of HS myself. Of course I tried drawing a few images from the Sandman novel but they never turned out right lol

I won't review this one because you can get it at almost any public library system. Good stuff though.

Yep, I got that as well as the Wolverine/Electra one by Amano and, I think, Greg Rucka that was released some years later.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that you mention that book, I picked it up recently. One of the pages that was donated to charity way back in 2001 went on auction not too long ago.

32PKEeK.png

7WrpavF.jpg

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Wulfric, and anyone who might be able to answer - do you happen to own Amano's Fairies and/or Cinderella books? I already have several FF art volumes and Deva Zan, but I wanted to own some book version of his more uhh, romantic (?) work. Any thoughts on the print quality/layouts/image choices in those two and which is the one to go for??

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
So with "Game of Thrones" wrapping up this year, it looks like there's going to be some new making of/art books based on the show, courtesy of Insight Editions. Spotted on Amazon:

- Game of Thrones: The Storyboards
- The Art of Game of Thrones
- Game of Thrones: The Costumes

*drool* I wonder what the cover for the main artbook is going to look like. The production work on this show is fantastic.

Wulfric, and anyone who might be able to answer - do you happen to own Amano's Fairies and/or Cinderella books? I already have several FF art volumes and Deva Zan, but I wanted to own some book version of his more uhh, romantic (?) work. Any thoughts on the print quality/layouts/image choices in those two and which is the one to go for??

I have Fairies, but I don't own Cinderella. Fairies only has about 40 pages of artwork because each page is accompanied by prose or a poem. Cinderella is mostly painted in monochromatic brown and yellow hues from the pages I have seen. Fairies is gorgeous, focusing on ladies in elegant poses or creatures from Scottish myth. Pixies, leprechauns, that sort of thing.

I would recommend The Virgin (2004, ISBN 4894528460) personally, but Fairies is cheaper. I don't why the books have gotten so expensive over the years.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I have Fairies, but I don't own Cinderella. Fairies only has about 40 pages of artwork because each page is accompanied by prose or a poem. Cinderella is mostly painted in monochromatic brown and yellow hues from the pages I have seen. Fairies is gorgeous, focusing on ladies in elegant poses or creatures from Scottish myth. Pixies, leprechauns, that sort of thing.

I would recommend The Virgin (2004, ISBN 4894528460) personally, but Fairies is cheaper. I don't why the books have gotten so expensive over the years.

Thank you! I think I'll get Fairies, but I'll be on the lookout for The Virgin eventually. Too bad it's so pricey.