• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Is the Zelda Hyrule Encyclopedia Deluxe Edition supposed to be limited? Right now it is available for around half its original price. The other two books from the series sell for significantly more than their release price in the meantime.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Mine arrived today and it's a beast (and features video game art also so it definitely counts).

20181023_17445805fc3.jpg

20181023_174621rvcyw.jpg

20181023_174655hri0k.jpg
20181023_1748121ai24.jpg

20181023_1752086hfz0.jpg

Should keep me busy till Christmas.
Hot damn, I was super excited for this when it was announced but had no idea it was coming out now. Just ordered the special edition on Amazon. Really looking forward to it!

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think I'm going to pick up the Disgaea art books, but I'm not sure which one to start with. Should I go with the Harada art works, or the DISGAEArt (which covers the first 4 games).

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is DANGEROUS!!!

I creep in for a moment and am now salivating over that D&D book, the point n click adventure one, FFXIV(still pissed the first Encyclopedia Eorzea is still not reprinted), etc...

I don't have shelf space!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
No more room...maybe I can burn some of these Omni's. Comics rot your brain I'm told anyway.

I generally have a hard time deciding whether I like comics or artbooks better. Once I've read a comic, I'm not likely to go back and read it again outside of certain exceptions. But artbooks are great for flipping through any old time.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Has anyone gotten the new version of Mega Man Official Complete Works. There's a larger number of pages than the old version, so I was wondering if we knew what was new.
Did you ever find an answer to this? I have the original and it's one of the best art books in my collection. If the new edition adds a lot I'd buy it and give my old one to a friend.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I generally have a hard time deciding whether I like comics or artbooks better. Once I've read a comic, I'm not likely to go back and read it again outside of certain exceptions. But artbooks are great for flipping through any old time.

Yea, I'm finding myself thinking hard about what books I'm buying lately and have already considered scaling back some of my collection that I've read and didn't love enough to keep on the shelf. The past year has been insane as I just filled my wall shelves with new Omni's and Deluxe books. I really love the format even though I could have just as easily read it all on the iPad.

Probably will end up with a few of these artbooks. But hell, I bought the MGS4 and Zelda Encyclopedias. Those are still in shrinkwrap!

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
Did you ever find an answer to this? I have the original and it's one of the best art books in my collection. If the new edition adds a lot I'd buy it and give my old one to a friend.
Unfortunately not. If it was at different point of the year, I'd have done that already myself to find out, but I don't really wanna risk wasting that money during holiday season

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread I ordered the D&D book. The book is excellent and brought back lots of memories of my friends and me playing back in high school. Thanks you bunch of enablers. :)

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I got the D&D book today and it's great. I'm gonna really enjoy reading through it.

Was there not a reprint of some 1e D&D books a while ago? I could have sworn that there were but looking online it seems like there hasn't been a reprint since around 2012 and they're pretty expensive now. I've been wanting to collect all the Monster Manuals at least for a while now...

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I got the D&D book today and it's great. I'm gonna really enjoy reading through it.

Was there not a reprint of some 1e D&D books a while ago? I could have sworn that there were but looking online it seems like there hasn't been a reprint since around 2012 and they're pretty expensive now. I've been wanting to collect all the Monster Manuals at least for a while now...
I think you can get most of them as digital pdfs (and low-quality physical print-on-demand) from dmsguild.com

May 30, 2018
Unfortunately not. If it was at different point of the year, I'd have done that already myself to find out, but I don't really wanna risk wasting that money during holiday season

I have the new one but don't have the older one to compare to. If either of you wanted to send me certain things I should look for or pages to take photos of to compare I'd be happy to check for things in my copy.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Just got an email that Eyes of Bayonetta 2 EN version from UDON is coming in November. Quite a delay in release compared to the Japanese release. May get it. It's a solid book!

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I ordered the DnD book thanks to this thread. I've never actually played a real game of DnD but I really appreciate its impact on video games and I think the history is very interesting.

Chakas343

Oct 27, 2017
Evening all. Anyone heard any rumours or anything more concrete about a Red Dead 2 art book? I am utterly blown away by the game.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Darn, Amazon cancelled my copy of Marvel vs Capcom... Hopefully it gets reprinted for real one day :/

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
80£ ouch but it's 512 pages... I'm only here for the WipEout so I'm not sure to back this...

Is there another book on WipEout from ROM coming ? I might wait for that one

Haha same.

I'll be definitely getting the ROM book as it not only looks like it will have the Wipeout graphic design art but general concept art too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ah man, sorry to hear that! Hmm I wonder if the Marvel licensing could be stopping them from a reprint? Holy balls at amazon/ebay second hand and new prices.

Yeah exactly! I saw it as "temp out of stock" at one point, knowing Udon is reprinting a lot, and hoped for the best. Pretty sure it is the licensing, but I'll jump on it next time I see it, especially if it shows up at a used bookstore for even cheaper. I always poke around for old OOP game art books when I go.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Nice! I'm not sure whether to get this, I can see the £80 regular book reward selling it out within a few days too so not much time to make a decision.
Well, I'm big fan of tDR works in general, so it was no-brainer for me :)

But if you're only interested in WipEout stuff - I think it's better to wait for ROM book.

Or, as variant, you can try luck in finding this Special Edition of IDEA Magazine on eBay:

7728315472_a6568c05e5_c.jpg

7728313732_9fcb32472d_c.jpg

7728312830_5607ef8a11_c.jpg

Last time I saw this for ~ $40 USD.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah exactly! I saw it as "temp out of stock" at one point, knowing Udon is reprinting a lot, and hoped for the best. Pretty sure it is the licensing, but I'll jump on it next time I see it, especially if it shows up at a used bookstore for even cheaper. I always poke around for old OOP game art books when I go.

Oh man, fingers crossed you get a good deal on the book if it doesn't get another run. Nothing worse than paying too much before a reprint drops!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, fingers crossed you get a good deal on the book if it doesn't get another run. Nothing worse than paying too much before a reprint drops!

I've been lucky before and got some good prices on OOP stuff at Capcom clearance sales (later they went back in print). I managed to grab Dark Souls II after it got reprinted, seeing how high that was getting. I think Marvel is the priciest one I'm looking for right now, though. The hunt continues!

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm big fan of tDR works in general, so it was no-brainer for me :)

But if you're only interested in WipEout stuff - I think it's better to wait for ROM book.

Or, as variant, you can try luck in finding this Special Edition of IDEA Magazine on eBay:

7728315472_a6568c05e5_c.jpg

7728313732_9fcb32472d_c.jpg

7728312830_5607ef8a11_c.jpg

Last time I saw this for ~ $40 USD.

Oh, that looks great, those edge to edge pages are amazing! I'll keep an eye out for that. I love all the work for Wipeout TDR did, and whilst I like graphic design I'd say I'm more of a moderate fan of their other work. I might pick this up later once there's a better preview of the contents. (I'll kick myself if the folded poster reward is Wipeout though)

This was the other book I came across and wanting to get but is now out of print and goes for several times rrp, unfortunately. It's only 64 pages though. Do you have it?

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The original price for that was about $10/£8 :/

By my calculations, if I buy that new A-Z TDR book and wait for it to go out of print I can then finally afford to buy a house lol

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what happened? They've been reprinting a lot of OOP stuff. As for new stuff, I feel like they haven't been publishing as many new things as of late. My situation I just assumed was an Amazon one, though.

The last year or two, their release schedule has slowed dramatically, their site hasn't been updated since the dawn of time, and the books they do release are mired in delays.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
These Wipeout books are a good example of why I hate physical-only releases.
There are probably a dozen or so books that I am interested in, but cannot find anywhere at reasonable prices since they are long out of print. Some of them I simply cannot find for sale at all.
On top of that, they tend to be lower quality and take up a lot of space.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The last year or two, their release schedule has slowed dramatically, their site hasn't been updated since the dawn of time, and the books they do release are mired in delays.

The delays have been around for a long time, but eventually they all show up. Stuff like Asura's Wrath and Eyes of Bayonetta 2 had been delayed for a while (welln Asura came out, Bayonetta we'll see). I think some were quietly cancelled, though. I woukd make wish lists when they announced stuff at cons, and one that is forever MIA is Gungnir, based on art for the PSP game. I doubt it'll ever show up.

What's my biggest disappointment is how years ago Kodansha announced Sailor Moon artbooks. There's a few of them, and was looking forward to getting them at localized prices. For such a big property, who knows what happened :/

Oct 29, 2017
Is there gonna be an Art of Red Dead Redemption 2?

Also does have anyone have the Devil May Cry 3-1-4-2 artbook? Is it good quality?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
What's my biggest disappointment is how years ago Kodansha announced Sailor Moon artbooks. There's a few of them, and was looking forward to getting them at localized prices. For such a big property, who knows what happened :/

I noticed that there was a period where manga publishers seemed to think artbooks were the next big thing and then they weren't.

Did the UDON Dark Souls III translated book come out yet? I have it ordered from Amazon but I assume it got delayed again.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
is this delay #2 or #3?

No idea. I got the book in japan 10 months ago. It has art for the DLC at least, but close to zero text after the legend for some illustration. It always weird to see such a book (with very minimal work needed) take a year to come west but hey...

I would still recommend it for the glorious golden cover and majestic Dark Souls art inside.