• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Takano began with the concept of a 'bewitching vampire,' and says they drew inspiration from figures like famed 16th-century Hungarian noblewoman and serial killer Elizabeth Báthory, the Japanese urban legend Hashaku-sama, and Anjelica Huston's Morticia Addams.

Takano says this is a continuation of Capcom's new direction for the series that began with Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. 'We analyzed the characters and elements in the Resident Evil series so far to see if they were truly scary," says Takano, 'or if they had become so conventional that they lost their effectiveness in scaring players.' He says even the series' longtime producer, Jun Takeuchi, mused that 'If we want people to be scared, we need to think beyond the stereotypical zombies.'

Really love reading what Takano has to say.

This new approach for RE's monster designs completely nails what i would want for the series next, just feels inspired in every sense.

Her dress is tight as it heavily presses against her upper body and makes definitions apparent. Also, you wouldn't otherwise be able to see the cleavage.

And obviously, you can see the cleavage every time you are able to see the cleavage - which isn't only when she is holding Ethan. She is sexualized.

I think more importantly it intentionally defies what is conceived popularly as attractive and appealing to men, which is very topical nonetheless.

But yeah, she's a damn vampire by design.

Mar 18, 2020
"Struck by" doesn't mean "surprised by" and the translated excerpts from the interview with Takano make it clear he's pleased with the reactions, which were desired.

Also it would be great if one day the limited minds working at Japanese game dev studios didn't make people think it's acceptable to describe Japan in general as a nation of irredeemable perverts.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Lady-Dimitrescu-lady-vampire-memes15.jpg

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, pleeeaaase...lol. Seasoned character designers know exactly what they are doing. Everything about a video game character like her is very deliberate. Everything about super tall, dominant and voluptuos vampire mom is deliberate.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I am loving this sociological study of the modern man's libido which yearns for subversion.

However, notably missing from this article are how popular Lady Dimitrescu is with queer women. Too many articles based on tweets and not enough based on TikToks.

A lot of it is performative, yes. It's for fun.
I think it's one way men created a way to safely get away from traditional masculinity. It's the fantasy of not always needing to be strong and in charge.
Yes, I agree with this. For a lot of men who struggle with letting down their masculine bravado, even participating "as a joke" is a socially acceptable way for them to drop the act for a while.
What's interesting to me is how classically men are "supposed" to be aggressive/assertive but we're seeing a lot of men come out as more submissive and getting excited about powerful women. Not saying submissive men are anything new. More like them being this open about it and the sheer amount of it that we seeing all at once is something I haven't seen before.

I'm all for old antiquated norms being challenged.
I think more importantly it intentionally defies what is conceived popularly as attractive and appealing to men, which is very topical nonetheless.

V nice to read some thoughtful, intelligent takes in this thread instead of just "she's hot" or "she's not".

I agree especially with this being something I've seen queer communities on Twitter embrace. Which goes hand in hand with how it functions for straight men as an opportunity to deny traditional masculinity, performative or not.

Also, the character herself is designed to subvert and deny convention. What if an attractive, demur lady was actually a terrifying threat? A fun choice! And it's no surprise the internet responded in kind. What if a terrifying threat were actually attractive?

It's playful, positive, and progressive, perfect for a meme.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Lies.

States Morticia Addams was an inspiration but is shocked people are attracted to thr character? WHICH IS IT?! 🤔

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
People are horny, and with covid make it omega-horny.
All you need is a little obscure fetish seasoning on your designs and you're good to go.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
RE8 is like chocolate and peanut butter. Scary so I don't end early, but nice enough to see me through to completion.

Platinum here I come!

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine saying, "I modeled one of my monsters after Morticia Addams..."

Morticia_adams_origional.jpg

afde12e588933ab0360040e18b907d94.jpg

latest

"...and am SURPRISED AND ALARMED that people have a sexual attraction towards her".

Like fucking lol my dude.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Isn't it just a meme joke and everyone got on board pretending to be horny about her?.......right?

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Isn't it just a meme joke and everyone got on board pretending to be horny about her?.......right?

No. Everyone has the hots for this 9 1/2 foot tall vampire vixen, and I can't for the life of me why they think she will stay like that from beginning to end.

It's 110% guaranteed that she will undergo several unique regenerative mutations across this game, such as the second form will make her become quadrupedal and more feral, with the third form will be a hideous blob of flesh, bone, and malice. Oh, and lots of displaced teeth, tentacles, and will have a final form that will make her look comically ridiculous (Why not have her transform into a dinosaur?), because it wouldn't be Resident Evil without that sort of nonsense.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
However, notably missing from this article are how popular Lady Dimitrescu is with queer women. Too many articles based on tweets and not enough based on TikToks.

Noticeably missing from every thread is how popular she is with queer women. ERA's so busy trying to say "Oh, dudes are so horny" or whatever but like....I follow a lot of queer women who are quite excited to find out the character is 9'6".

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just can't fathom being attracted to what is essentially a cartoon. To each their own and all that, but I can see why this was unexpected.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is the new type of fanservice and now that Capcom know about it, I fear what's going to happen moving forward.
Half joking but the leak did say they're making a game for streamers so they can target a specific audience no problem, and they know about CanYouPetTheDog.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Capcom release her official height?

They know, and they're in on it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
lol. i mean, i'm not on the Lady Dimitrescu lust train, but i highly doubt he's actually surprised. lol

"I had no idea that my 9 foot tall, attractive, buxom, vampire antagonist with a 20's-30's style aesthetic would stir such feelings in people!" Ok, bud. Sure. I believe you... XD XD

With that said, I absolutely love her concept. I think she looks so good. I think she comes off as very scary and intimidating. I definitely can see the Morticia Addams inspiration in the pale skin and dark hair, and height. Overall, the game looks amazing, and while I skipped REVII (it's fucking horrifying!), I'm thinking I'll try to play it and beat it before this one. Vampires are awesome, and the setting is one of my favorites, aesthetically, so I'm sold.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Anything can be a fetish to someone. That doesn't mean designing an elegant, tall killer is meant to give you lot boners. She has a legitimately cool design, your personal, sexual sensitivities aside. It feels like the discourse around Lady Dimitrescu already is poisoned by joksters that don't realize the "joke" can get obnoxious.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He probably knew, but didn't know the extent.

I mean, shit, I knew she'd be popular, but I didn't think the internet would get this crazy over her.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
im just glad im not the only wierdo degenerate that likes tall women

I'm a super short guy, so most of the women I've dated have been taller than me. Lol

I have no height preferences when it comes to dating. Unfortunately for me, a lot of women on dating apps do. But dating apps suck anyway. XD

I don't get the whole "crush me with your thighs" or "sit on me" stuff I see about Lady Dimistrescu though. No thanks. I'd run like hell if I saw her coming towards me. She's fucking scary! Sure, she's alluring, but, that's kind of what Vampires do, right? And you just know she's going to turn into a giant slug monster at some point.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
No. Everyone has the hots for this 9 1/2 foot tall vampire vixen, and I can't for the life of me why they think she will stay like that from beginning to end.

It's 110% guaranteed that she will undergo several unique regenerative mutations across this game, such as the second form will make her become quadrupedal and more feral, with the third form will be a hideous blob of flesh, bone, and malice. Oh, and lots of displaced teeth, tentacles, and will have a final form that will make her look comically ridiculous (Why not have her transform into a dinosaur?), because it wouldn't be Resident Evil without that sort of nonsense.

1- it doesn't really matter at all if she'll stay like that from start to finish? The most horny fanart can and will simply ignore it (and some actually won't, but those are niche)

2- Even if this is a new team, the RE franchise has had not-grotesque, or even cool or sexy looking antagonists even in their "monster form" before. Wesker never went full monster, and while I can't recall many women antagonists transforming, RE6 had one monster woman who still looked humanoid enough to pass as sexy.
Do remember RE7 had Zoey turn into an "snow" anime waifu at the end.

So like, there's any direction this could go.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
After those Capcom leaks about internal presentation documents about not sexualizing characters or presenting characters in a sexualized way im sure they are more confused than ever.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It is pretty damn sad that people want to be stepped on by her. She's pretty much a walking corpse... and that imagery is absolutely horrible to see.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
1- it doesn't really matter at all if she'll stay like that from start to finish? The most horny fanart can and will simply ignore it (and some actually won't, but those are niche)

2- Even if this is a new team, the RE franchise has had not-grotesque, or even cool or sexy looking antagonists even in their "monster form" before. Wesker never went full monster, and while I can't recall many women antagonists transforming, RE6 had one monster woman who still looked humanoid enough to pass as sexy.
Do remember RE7 had Zoey turn into an "snow" anime waifu at the end.

So like, there's any direction this could go.

We will see when the game launches, but consider me skeptical for now.