• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The "instant on" feature that's activated by default on new Xbox Series S/X consoles could suck up a total of 4 billion kWh—the equivalent of a year's operation for a large power plant—from US owners alone through 2025. That's according to a preliminary report released this week from the Natural Resources Defense Council, an environmentally focused nonprofit advocacy group.

A power draw in the single digit watt range may not sound like much, but it can add up when millions of systems are left plugged in and idling for years at a time. For a single console, that 9W of additional "instant on" power draw can add up to about 78 kWh in a year, or roughly $10.60 in energy costs for an average US home (going by the October 2020 EIA average of 13.6 cents/kWh).

To estimate the total extra "instant on" power draw across all Xbox consoles, NRDC author Noah Horowitz told Ars he assumed 30 million US sales of the Xbox Series S/X through 2025 (a number itself based on estimated sales of the Xbox One). Most of those sales would be concentrated near the system's launch in Horowitz's modeling.

Horowitz then assumed that two-thirds of all Xbox owners would stick with whatever the "default" energy setting is on their system. "We don't have hard data on this but it's based on typical anecdotal experience whereby users typically stick with the default option, rather than opting out and selecting something different," Horowitz said.

Update from Microsoft spokesperson:

Users are given a choice during setup between the two power modes for the console: energy saving and instant on. To ensure players can select the option they prefer, they are not opted-in to either power mode by default. At Microsoft, we are committed to sustainability and, as we begin a new generation of gaming with Xbox Series X|S, we're continuing to explore how we can reduce our environmental impact across the product life cycle—from conceptualization, design, production, and packaging, to what happens once our consoles are in the hands of consumers and at their end-of-life. As part of this commitment, we are evaluating additional methods to highlight the benefits of energy saving mode, but have nothing further to share at this time.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...nstant-on-feature-could-harm-the-environment/

Damn, that's a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
These types of standby modes shouldn't be a thing. Not only are they for lazy as fuck people, but the environmental fuck-up from them is strong too. Just wait an extra few seconds, damnit.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I know its something Sony worked on for PS4 and it carried over to PS5. Its wild how low the power draw is though

The Xbox Series S/X initially drew 25 to 28W of "instant on" standby power at launch, but a recent firmware update caused a dramatic reduction, placing the new systems below the ~13W drawn by the Xbox One's "instant on" mode. The PlayStation 5, by contrast, uses between 1 and 2 watts when sitting idle in "rest mode."

I just turn everything on or off

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
It's a cool bragging feature to show how far tech has come, but who sits down to play games and gets angry they need to wait 20 seconds instead of like 2.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
you need instant on/rest mode to download games (which isn't even mentioned in the article, just 'system updates'). if you have a bad internet connection that can take a while, should you keep the console turned on and waste even more energy? i could throw my series s out the window if this mode didn't exist. just do a full shutdown when you don't need to download anything , but don't take this option away from me.
there's two things Microsoft should do: 1. activate the energy saving mode by default when you turn on the system for the very first time. 2. make the full shutdown the first option available from the Xbox button.
maybe they could even offer an option to automatically shutdown the console once all your downloads have finished.
by the way, the series s uses half the energy than ps5/seriesx, ps5 is even higher than x i think. now let's see how much that adds up to over the years.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me introduce you to IOT devices that all do the same thing. If you have a smartplug, or voice activated device in your house this shouldn't rustle your jimmies.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it doesn't make sense why the console is using so much power on instant on. You can feel the heat coming out and that's why I turn it off.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I've found instant-on to be obsolete with the Series X. If you do a full power-off with a game running (and the game is quick resume compatible) then that game will go into quick resume and pop right back to the same point when you play it next. The only reason to use instant-on anymore is for background updates, which I've found to be unreliable anyway. I don't mind waiting an extra minute when I boot up my console for games to update.

Edit: the console also boots up extremely fast too. Not as quickly as instant-on, sure, but the difference is much smaller than on Xbox One consoles.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
These types of standby modes shouldn't be a thing. Not only are they for lazy as fuck people, but the environmental fuck-up from them is strong too. Just wait an extra few seconds, damnit.
The bold is hyperbole and kind of offensive. Also important to note that these modes allow for auto updates which could cost people hours of their time when they want to play.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Does turning instant on kill quick resume? I've yet to have to reboot my Series X so not clear if those get wiped on a reboot or if they're stored permanently (until they get replaced by other quick resumes).

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Does turning instant on kill quick resume? I've yet to have to reboot my Series X so not clear if those get wiped on a reboot or if they're stored permanently (until they get replaced by other quick resumes).

quick resume does not require instant on.
Instant on is primarily for downloading games and updates while the system is down.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The bold is hyperbole and kind of offensive. Also important to note that these modes allow for auto updates which could cost people hours of their time when they want to play.

I find it offensive you don't mind wasting energy when the world is in a very real crisis environmentally but you do you and get them updates.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
The instant on feature just seems redundant on the Series X in all honesty. The console boots up quick enough and with the general speed of the SSD and quick resume I am back in my games within 30 seconds.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Why not do what my windows laptop does? Dump memory to hard disk and fully power off? Turn on and quickly tosses back to memory and we go.

I feel like this could be made ALOT more efficient.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I always fully shut off all my consoles
Only use these standby modes sometimes if i need to download an update or game, then when done back to off again

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
This is why I turn my consoles off completely. They start up so fast now that it hardly feels like it matters.

Deleted member 11173

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't all consume the same amount of power when on standby...

0.2-0.6 watts for smartplugs, 0.1-0.2 for smartbulbs. It adds up, and more houses will have those than Xboxes.
Echo Dot -.5 -2.4watts

For me this is not news, but I can understand some concern about it. Good thing there are settings that can disable instant on, while all these other devices have no technical way to do that.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
This is true for all appliances that have stand by modes, we need to get used to turning things off totally.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You people are crazy! I went to my settings and changed it to energy savings, I did my part.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much energy does it use to cold boot the console?
Because depending on the device, it can be more efficient to idle devices than to cold boot them if they are actively used.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Passively powered-on devices are really awful for consumption in general. Even low-power smart devices like home assistants, smart plugs, etc all really add up and end up consuming a shitload of power when not in use. We really need to be moving away from this sort of thing, and I think the speed at which these consoles cold boot and load optimized software is more than fast enough for me already. At very least, as the report points out, it would be nice if the new consoles (PS5 included) defaulted to the full power-down out of the box instead of the rest mode.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Passively powered-on devices are really awful for consumption in general. Even low-power smart devices like home assistants, smart plugs, etc all really add up and end up consuming a shitload of power when not in use. We really need to be moving away from this sort of thing, and I think the speed at which these consoles cold boot and load optimized software is more than fast enough for me already.
There would need to be a solution in place for handling updates. That's the real killer here not cold boot times.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I put my Series X in energy saving mode. It still boots up fast enough for me.

Same. I originally used instant on, but I've found we're talking about a couple seconds difference at best. I also stopped having controller connection issues after switching , but that could be a coincidence

The worst part of not using instant on is that I can't silence the startup sound.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
There would need to be a solution in place for handling updates. That's the real killer here not cold boot times.
When I see that there's an update that I need to download and I don't need to use the machine, I put it into sleep mode. After I next use it I put it back. Still much better than 100% sleep mode. That being said this really hinges on your internet quality and the games you choose to play ofc.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, didn't realize it uses up so much in standby. Would this manifest in a higher power bill or is it unrecognizable relatively.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the full shutdown hidden away in the settings instead, unless you are downloading in the background or really love telling the Xbox to download something remotely, I see little point in the standby options as the system boots up quick enough as it is. Wish Microsoft would add the option to the menu when you hold down the Xbox button as it is a bit off a pain having to navigate to the settings each time.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, with bootup times and loading times being what are this generation, I haven't really missed Rest Mode on PS5 all that much.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
When I see that there's an update that I need to download and I don't need to use the machine, I put it into sleep mode. After I next use it I put it back. Still much better than 100% sleep mode. That being said this really hinges on your internet quality and the games you choose to play ofc.
The problem is knowing when there will be an update whether that be console or game. If I work all day and come home to play an hour or two of a game I need to know I don't have to wait a few hours to download a 30GB patch. There's no easy solution here unless console manufacturers can create something that monitors for updates and boots the console into sleep mode when you need the update and powers it back down into monitoring mode when it is done.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
My tv is in a less energy efficient mode, but that's because I can't even turn it on without the remote if it isn't in this mode. I regularly use my computer to turn it on, and it doesn't work if the regular power off mode is enabled. (I tend to lose the remote and there's no physical buttons on the tv.)

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I just use energy saver unless I am downloading something.

With the speed of the boot up on the new consoles instant on is fairly pointless unless you will turning it on remotely for remote play. Be nice if there was a mode that just powered up from energy saver every 12 or 24 hours, got updates and switched back to energy saver (like PS3).