• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I love this all so much. He paid an actress to show up and say nice things about the Amico? It just gets stranger and stranger.

I don't want it to ever end.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
As well as the actress, one of the guys in the video (the one that yelled "Amicoooooo" at the end) is a longtime Electric Playground fan and went there just to meet Tommy, and another is from Octane, the company that gave Intellivision those sketchy awards and has previously interacted with Tommy.

It's amazing how such simple things always end up being suspicious in some way with this, lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I love this all so much. He paid an actress to show up and say nice things about the Amico? It just gets stranger and stranger.

I don't want it to ever end.
I mean, if the game is to milk investors for all they're willing to give, there's no reason to believe that this ride will end any time soon.

Or at least until authorities step in.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
And now a message from Tommy:

Because it seems to be such a hot topic discussion, I wanted to give folks an update on some of the things we've been talking about internally.

People who love, hate or who are completely indifferent and/or on-the-fence about Amico seem to have a great interest in a number of different areas. This includes people who have already pre-ordered, who have not pre-ordered, who are thinking of pre-ordering, who are waiting for it to be released or who will never buy one in a million years.

We are very aware that the folks currently following Amico (good, bad or indifferent) would like info on the following…

1. Our menu/User Interface.
  2. Physical Boxed Collectors Game products (i.e. "What's in the box?").
  3. Seeing more in depth gameplay footage.
  4. Where's all this "family marketing" we keep hearing about?
All 100% totally fair and understandable questions.

One of my flaws in communicating with the public is that I like to share as much information as possible. I want people who are interested to feel like they are a part of our family and can feel like they are a part of the process and following along (both the ups & downs) of the entire project. We've already given away so much info and insight over the past 2 1/2 years that most of the negativity and drama surrounding Amico wouldn't be present if we kept everything a lot more secretive. (It's easy to understand why all the big companies do it that way). So yes, I'll take the blame for wanting to be so open and wanting to share in my excitement and passion for the project and our company. Guilty as charged. We are building something very unique and trying to accomplish something that not many have done successfully… or at least to the level of success we are shooting for. I wanted to take folks along for that ride.

Our original plan was to hold back the four points above as much as possible and closer to launch as we have some really incredible partnerships that we've been working on with huge influencers/YouTubers (10M+), popular TV talk shows, and really big family websites. Content is king these days and when you're a smaller company like ours, getting on those types of bigger platforms (when you don't have the kind of millions that other established companies can spend on marketing) is a LOT easier when you can provide "exclusive" content. It's also the reason why we chose our licensing partners carefully. Contrary to what some may think, our deals with our licensors aren't just a "pay to play" type situation. Marketing and awareness partnerships to their massive family audiences is just as important to us as the license itself. Especially when in essence we are a company just starting out and trying to raise awareness in the demographics and sectors we are initially targeting.

Since our latest delay announcement, we have been actively speaking to many of our media and influencer partners with whom we promised certain exclusives with. They have all been super cool and understanding of our situation and we have decided together to give other types of exclusive content to them when the time is right and (even more importantly from a company perspective) when there are units on the shelf and ready to purchase. This then allows us to share more information right now that people have been asking for… as opposed to later. Hopefully folks can understand that there is no sense in pulling a marketing/PR/partnership lever that could potentially be seen by tens of millions of people, without the ability to have the product immediately available to purchase. A potential big lost opportunity for us. And as we continue to face the challenges of manufacturing/logistics/shipping with the rest of the world, we also want to ensure that the many people paying attention and supporting us, also feel like things are always progressing in a positive way (which for us… internally, they almost always are).

So in that spirit, I would like everyone to know that the 4 important points of information given above WILL be addressed and revealed shortly. Please don't ask or hold me to any kind of date. I think a lot of you know that October 10th is a very special date for me, so if we can do one or two by then, we will. That being said, October/November will be a very busy time for us in regards to showing a lot more of the information that people have been asking for. In regards to our live events, we've done Dallas, Philly, Orange County, CA & Salt Lake City areas so far. Next up… BOSTON! My original home state of Massachusetts! More details will be available closer to the event so please make sure to sign up to our Mailing List at Intellivision.com to get all the details first.

Thank you all for your continued support and interest in what we're doing. Here at Intellivision we are all so passionate about Amico and love to see/hear the excitement of others as well. We can't wait for everyone to finally get the opportunity to play Amico (like a lot of people here have been doing at our events). Appreciate you all!

Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most about this entire thing is his lack of an Oxford comma. What a bitch.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Well it must be a violation of something, right? An actress pretending to be some random person saying good things about a product you're using to get investors and potential customers onboard.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Doesn't the FTC consider this illegal?

www.youtube.com

The "members of the public" in the latest Intellivision Amico video is so ridiculously sketchy

Just another normal day of deceit and lies in the land of Intellivision Amico and Tommy Tallarico.#intellivision #amico #intellivisionamico #tommytallarico
Hey, it's the Secret Of Evermore music guy!

But yeah, this definitely worse than the photoshopped stock photos in their previous showings.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
User Warned: Post-Spamming
Like a certain ex president, his extended family and their cronies who looted the treasury with their grifting, can Tommy use his sheer incompetence at committing these potential crimes as a defense?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
We've already given away so much info and insight over the past 2 1/2 years that most of the negativity and drama surrounding Amico wouldn't be present if we kept everything a lot more secretive.

3LpZNfF.jpg

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

did he seriously go "it's in your court" and then blocked you so you couldn't even do what he wanted if you wanted to? lmao

also no "we're" even jesus fuck

I always labeled this system as "the footbath where two sides of weird nerds are fighting it out" and this just proves without a doubt that this guy should never be PR or even remotely interact with the public

It's gonna be funny AF to me when I get the Intellivision Evercade cart and have fun with it next month and that likely doing better, being better made and more competently done by PR (Blaze's PR, who are good folk) than this amico console ever will. They could have just made a simple Intellivision mini system like The C64 and called it a day but nooooooo they had to do... all this nonsense and grifting. I'd rather they sell the Intellivision IPs and branding to Blaze so they could just go all out with fun evercade carts, done by people who aren't toxic

When both subreddits on an upcoming console are toxic cesspools with barely any activity (compared to Playdate and Evercade VS, which have more active communities with lots of hype and welcoming people to them), that's pretty damn telling that nobody will be happy with this thing because of how badly it's being run. I salute you for having the mental sanity to keep track of all this, Sam, because I checked out of this after last year's August event was a whole acid trip

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I love with how the way Tommy reacts to and behaves with people that his Facebook likes contains 'How to Make Friends and Influence People'.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
It's unfair to tar "both sides of weirdos" when some of us believe we're doing a fraudbusters kinds of public service.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
Tommy's latest rant about "it was always for friends and family and fans!" is yet another desperate and weird justification.

"When you're explaining, you're losing," and Tommy has to explain himself a LOT.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
The more he says, the deeper the hole he digs for himself. Sure Tommy, you're totally equivalent to Nintendo, and the paid shills are just like longtime fans of the real company.

And anyone who says otherwise is "clutching their pearls!" It's hilarious when he learns a new catch phrase. "False narrative!"

Amu8Usa.png

r19BAIC.png

And in case you missed it, we're back to the idea that Tommy must be doing something right since he's getting people riled up. While I think that was true with Sam M's story in Ars Technica (Tommy: "Legal incoming. Enjoy" then deleting it), none of the bad publicity of Amico is going to translate into more sales for him.

"Kinda funny to watch their house of cards collapse," he says, without a trace of irony while the Amico is 2 days from being a full year behind schedule.

jnCmTMM.png

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think trolling people is a good PR strategy for your family friendly console that no one has heard about in the real world. You have to be pretty deep into the video games to even be aware of this thing and he's trolling the only people paying attention.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It never stops being funny watching the guy who used to shit on everything Nintendo ever makes constantly use them as a shield for anything he tries to get away with.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Well, bad news on the Evercade VS front. It looks like they're also being delayed.

The difference here is that Blaze is treating their customers like adults.

evercade.co.uk

Evercade Release Update - VS Delayed (NEW SHIPPING UPDATES) - Evercade

UPDATE – December 3rd 2021 We now have updated release dates following more information from our shipping providers. Your local retailer will be updating your order to reflect this. We apologise again for the delays and the inconvenience but this is sadly beyond our control and we’re doing...

They fully explain the situation (shipping is borked right now, something indisputable) and show pictures of the completed units, waiting to be shipped.

They also advise they'll post a UI video on the 11th.

So, a system that was supposed to ship in November is delayed, but they're able to prove that the production and the product itself is actually finalized? Wouldn't that be something™?

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
As someone mentioned on Reddt, if she was just there because she's Tommy's friend, why was she putting on an American accent?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If I was making a video game system and was aware people were closely examining my business practices, I simply would not have a professional actress appear in my "random people being impressed by the system" video.

Even allowing him the possibility that she actually was just his friend and wanted to say how great it was, why did nobody say "Hey, wait, maybe we shouldn't have this professional actress appear in the video, as people will look into it and get the wrong idea"? Why even leave that possibility open?

Plus, for being set up at Boomer's for an entire day, it's pretty hilarious that 95% of their footage is Tommy's "friends" or Amico weirdos. Did no casuals actually play the thing? If they did, why wasn't their feedback considered for inclusion in the video?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's a palpable smugness to his replies that's both hilarious and sad.

He really needs to hire and listen to a PR agency. He's coming off so poorly.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
And now Tallarico is quoting Facebook posts from the controller designer (his employee), as proof that everything is going great. The guy says the new controller would take 2 years to design, no less, and that it would be a grind.

Anyone else reminded of Jurassic Park? He got so caught up in if he could, he never stopped to consider if he should?

He has written a book called "The Black Art Of Video Game Console Design" and clearly thinks highly of himself.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
On the latest CUPodcast Ian used the phrase "CEO cosplay" to describe Tommy and I think it's the perfect term for him.

He wont let anyone be the face of the company, or in charge of PR, or anything like that, even if it's better for the company and product, because him being the face is what it's all about to him.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
I have never seen a CEO have so much time to post in message boards and forums
From what we've seen so far, he doesn't have any technical or design skills, and his business acumen seems questionable at best. They hired a game show host with a minor in internet trolling to be the face and voice of the company.

CEO cosplay is a perfect description. Live action role play with other peoples' money.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
If they did, why wasn't their feedback considered for inclusion in the video?

Scenario 1:

Tommy: Would you like to record a testimonial?

Person: No thanks.

Scenario 2:

Tommy: Would you like to record a testimonial?

*person looks in camera*

Person: It was OK I guess? The controller was...

*Tommy faintly smiles and cuts person off.*

Tommy: Thanks. We got it.

*Tommy deletes footage*

I think it is worth reiterating that coming out of the Crayola event Tommy said there would be two videos. One of 'fans' and one of regular folks off the street.They only ever released one and any mention of a second video fell off the face of the Earth.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

This Sunday... 10/10. The big REVEAL! ❤️

Make sure you're subscribed to our YouTube channel:
https://t.co/lzIU58sKZR https://t.co/BwhmG080IJ

Huh. Looks like they're revealing the box contents on their own channel. I guess the 10m+ Youtuber was so cool about it that they let the exclusive reveal slip right through their fingers for no reason.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
John RIggs already revealed it prematurely, lol. The box contains a coin and collector card.
Is this part of the pivot from "the console for everyone with an addressable market of 3 billion people" to "by nerds, for nerds?" Because John Riggs is a very niche, retro-gaming kind of channel, not exactly mainstream.

It's fine if they do that, and if it's because they're not getting enough money to reach the large audience they say they wanted, but wouldn't it be something if they were more up front about it? Tallarico has been teasing about a very big YouTube influencer for months now. John Riggs is just a small step up from these fanboys who have been chasing Tommy around for the past year or two.

Were they all in competition to curry favor with the Intellivision CEO, as if he were some kind of industry kingmaker?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Is this part of the pivot from "the console for everyone with an addressable market of 3 billion people" to "by nerds, for nerds?" Because John Riggs is a very niche, retro-gaming kind of channel, not exactly mainstream.

It's fine if they do that, and if it's because they're not getting enough money to reach the large audience they say they wanted, but wouldn't it be something if they were more up front about it? Tallarico has been teasing about a very big YouTube influencer for months now. John Riggs is just a small step up from these fanboys who have been chasing Tommy around for the past year or two.

Were they all in competition to curry favor with the Intellivision CEO, as if he were some kind of industry kingmaker?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Holy crap. If the contents really are just a card and a coin, the effusive praise in that video is so weird and gross.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK

- YouTube

I wouldn't say it's a pivot tbh, John RIggs has been one of the Amico chaps since 2019 at least. And there were people like John Hancock, Metal Jesus etc who he was getting on board back then, so yeah, it seems like he says they appeal to mainstream families and casual mobile gamers, while doing stuff that literally only appeals to that older, very niche group of people.

MoFo2

Oct 27, 2017
Used to like JohnRiggs, but his content lost the appeal for me and when I saw him being buddies with Boogie I noped out. Sad to see him go down the Amico hole.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
Holy crap. If the contents really are just a card and a coin, the effusive praise in that video is so weird and gross.
That's been the case since the beginning, the astroturfing is obvious and their enthusiasm doesn't match up with reality. Also, they're all terrible actors. At least the beautiful people in the Boomers video delivered their lines with more believability.

I find it funny that Tallarico calls people following his public antics "obsessed stalkers," while friends to his cause like "OEB Pete" have 300+ shill videos, and well, that's just great! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHuPnOybrhL8K393wxeeYNnT6C5mROr5x

Tommy Tallarico has stated that he believes in "the law of attraction" as popularized by The Secret. Put your wishes out into the universe and they will come true, hopes-and-prayers type stuff. Unfortunately for Tommy, it comes out more like "if you repeat a lie often enough, maybe some people will start to believe it." He's clearly only fooling himself.

Flip through The Secret here, decide for yourself. (NOT an endorsement of these ideas, hopefully that's obvious)

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best examples of the fans making an over the top claim

Intellivision Amico | I Saw The Soccer Game | AND IT LOOKS AMAZING

TxfcV6Z.gif
Even the early PSP FIFA games looked better than that. Lower resolution but better everything else.

The weird thing is that this is a genre where the Amico's pitch actually kind of makes sense. Modern console football games are complicated beasts with highly complex control schemes that are focused on providing something that looks like a realistic presentation of the sport. I think there's a gap in the market for a simple 2D game that plays something like Sensible Soccer or '90s arcade games or even the first few editions of FIFA. It probably isn't a market that the Amico could ever have usefully addressed, but it's the kind of thing that they should have been aiming at. Instead, assuming that GIF is real, they're making something that appeals to nobody - too modern and slow and 3D for fans of older games, too basic and unrealistic and inept for fans of modern games.

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
If Amico were the curated indie ecosystem they want people to think they are, that could be cool. But their proven incompetence with everything so far, combined with their precarious financial situation, suggests they're just scraping whatever they can get.

AppleTV has lots of simple Sensible Soccer type things, and when you're done playing, you can watch Ted Lasso. Who needs an Amico?
apps.apple.com

‎Pixel Cup Soccer

‎******************************************************** PIXEL CUP SOCCER 16 is now available on the App Store!!! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1092276838?mt=8 ******************************************************** “Fans of the pixel art style will love this game.” – TouchArcade.com...

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
The thing that frustrates me about the Amico is that I genuinely believe that there could be a spot in the market if they actually accomplished some or most of the things they are failing at. If the system was actually lower cost, if the limitations on the controller screen data weren't so profound, if it was a well-curated indie focused marketplace, if the motion controls actually worked...

Despite how absolutely fantastic the value proposition that Apple Arcade has been (incredible indie curation, low cost of the Apple Arcade service) the cost of the hardware and the lack of uniform controller implementation has prevented it from being all that it could be. A static piece of hardware where all the controllers are the same could change that but Intellivision even fucks that up with yOu cAn uSe yOuR pHoNe aS a cOnTroLLeR. This should have been a niche someone could fill but Tommy Tallarico will drive this into the fucking dirt so no one will try again for years.

Finnegan Faux

Sep 24, 2021
The thing that frustrates me about the Amico is that I genuinely believe that there could be a spot in the market if they actually accomplished some or most of the things they are failing at. If the system was actually lower cost, if the limitations on the controller screen data weren't so profound, if it was a well-curated indie focused marketplace, if the motion controls actually worked...

Despite how absolutely fantastic the value proposition that Apple Arcade has been (incredible indie curation, low cost of the Apple Arcade service) the cost of the hardware and the lack of uniform controller implementation has prevented it from being all that it could be. A static piece of hardware where all the controllers are the same could change that but Intellivision even fucks that up with yOu cAn uSe yOuR pHoNe aS a cOnTroLLeR. This should have been a niche someone could fill but Tommy Tallarico will drive this into the fucking dirt so no one will try again for years.
There's been talk for years about the Apple TV becoming a viable game console as Apple has the silicon, but it hasn't come to pass. It would also need >64GB storage, a pack-in controller, and 3+ months of Apple Arcade included with purchase. Retailers don't get a cut of game purchases as they would with PS5/XBox/Switch games, so less incentive for them to promote it.

TT wanted his Schrödinger's controllers: too expensive to manufacture, too underpowered to do jack. Compare that with the $99 Evercade Vs. ARM box (with presumably less power) with wired controllers.