• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 31, 2018
Lmao.

Even in r/Amico now there are people getting tired of his BS.

After watching some of his recent promo vids, it struck me how much of it sounds like MLM speak. And some people on that Amico subreddit seem like they're shilling MLM product as well. It really seems like Tommy and some of the acolytes are going off some script designed to convince people they've stumbled upon some almost-secret investment opportunity. And that they're the smartest ones in the room for buying in.

All the MLM people I know in real life are never the smartest ones in the room.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
After watching some of his recent promo vids, it struck me how much of it sounds like MLM speak. And some people on that Amico subreddit seem like they're shilling MLM product as well. It really seems like Tommy and some of the acolytes are going off some script designed to convince people they've stumbled upon some almost-secret investment opportunity. And that they're the smartest ones in the room for buying in.

Yeah quite a few people, also on AtariAge and the Youtubers seem far more than simply fans of the console. I'm curious how many are simply starstruck by a 90s gaming celebrity and him now being their "friend", and how many are actually benefiting in some way.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Is it even feasible for any of the "Investors" to break even on this mess, or are they just riding out the sinking ship at this point?

The ship hasn't even launched. They are just filling the IE co's pockets to do who knows what. It certainly isn't competently launching a real product. CEO cosplay probably and pay Nick's bills by renting that building of his.

The scammy Neil Patel pitch video said they'd make 10 TIMES YOUR MONEY BACK if they sold 25 million (hahaha) units and since the launches have been delayed multiple times while they are still burning money, both the breakeven and 10 TIMES YOUR MONEY BACK milestones have shifted even considerably further in the future. There was an adjusted date or number mentioned in TonyTGD's interview but it's now even longer/larger.

Mar 31, 2018
Yeah quite a few people, also on AtariAge and the Youtubers seem far more than simply fans of the console. I'm curious how many are simply starstruck by a 90s gaming celebrity and him now being their "friend", and how many are actually benefiting in some way.

Originally I didn't want to see this project fail because having more consoles like this is a good thing…but every day this all seems shadier and shadier. I hope people don't get burned I guess, but I suppose it'll be a lesson on reading the market etc.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Didn't they have a video showing preliminary boxes being printed? Couldn't they show those at least?

They showed them already in a video clip last month. I think these box renders have another white border around them making them "Limited Edition" or something.

This is it, pathetic:

www.youtube.com

Amico™ Sneak Peek | Physical Products

Our first 50,000 run of physical products for our games has been completed, manufactured and shipped to our warehouse! Here is a first look at our packaging...

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

The whole thing feels like an investment scheme and considering how the misogynist grifter SmashJT not only bragged about investing 10K, but was promoted by Tommy non-stop and even had Tommy as a YT member to him, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was due to folks like him desperately wanting to get rich off investments like how folks went nuts over GME/AMC this year and wasted their life savings waiting for a turnabout that'll never come to be

the fact SmashJT abruptly hid his channel this week and suddenly claimed he's being sent threats over amico stuff despite how he was more than happy to harass other channels makes me wonder if they either know the bubble is bursting or if it's just getting so out of control that the weird nerds are taking toxicity to another level, which sadly wouldn't surprise me. It's why I long since bowed out of being involved in this mess on either side and just watch from the distance

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
The whole thing feels like an investment scheme and considering how the misogynist grifter SmashJT not only bragged about investing 10K, but was promoted by Tommy non-stop and even had Tommy as a YT member to him, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was due to folks like him desperately wanting to get rich off investments like how folks went nuts over GME/AMC this year and wasted their life savings waiting for a turnabout that'll never come to be

the fact SmashJT abruptly hid his channel this week and suddenly claimed he's being sent threats over amico stuff despite how he was more than happy to harass other channels makes me wonder if they either know the bubble is bursting or if it's just getting so out of control that the weird nerds are taking toxicity to another level, which sadly wouldn't surprise me. It's why I long since bowed out of being involved in this mess on either side and just watch from the distance

Some (objective) reasons on why if this is legit, that it's still incapable of succeeding;

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore

Is SmashJT the guy that videos himself walking around all sweaty with no shirt on while raving about the Amico and its "haters"? Maybe a mental health break wasn't a bad idea for that guy.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Is SmashJT the guy that videos himself walking around all sweaty with no shirt on while raving about the Amico and its "haters"? Maybe a mental health break wasn't a bad idea for that guy.

Yes he's the very same guy who films himself walking/driving around shirtless or in a bathtub with sunglasses, ranting about amico haters, drama topics, and women on twitch/YT he doesn't like. I remember him in the Switch launch era doing a few gaming reviews here and there and it seems he just ditched doing all that to openly dive into the drama clickbait gravy train and has never turned back, latching onto whatever is trendy to get mad at online. Obsessive videos about GME/AMC this year seems to be his current non-amico focus and it reminds me of the bad sort of posting mentality GME_Meltdown pokes fun at with people burning money thinking they'll be millionaires.

Pretty much yet another reminder on why even with my retrospectives never cracking a thousand views I'd much rather stick to fun stuff like that than the easy views I could get if I became a rage/drama youtuber. The explosive pace of views I got when poking fun of the amico August conference last year was already too overwhelming for me especially with the weird nerds dueling in my comments so I unlisted it lol.

...Speaking of which they showed more at that conference than their E3, didn't they.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
...Speaking of which they showed more at that conference than their E3, didn't they.
All that matters is they colour-corrected OompaLoompaTallarico but kept 90% the same gameplay clips proving that their games are probably all done ready for the 2020 launch. They literally re-uploaded the same clip from 2019 in 2021.

Last edited:

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
He doesn't explain HOW or WHY he will sell that many. He only cites a huge number of how much the potential market is and lists off empirical sales figures of Nintendo consoles who have an established brand portfolio and development record.

Without any evidence, he just jumps to the extrapolation that his shit SkyMall turd will sell at least that many. Baffling.

Mar 31, 2018

This is honestly reaching soap opera levels of drama.I guess one good outcome would be if some of the bigots snared up in this mess somehow get burned out of money.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
He doesn't explain HOW or WHY he will sell that many. He only cites a huge number of how much the potential market is and lists off empirical sales figures of Nintendo consoles who have an established brand portfolio and development record.

Without any evidence, he just jumps to the extrapolation that his shit SkyMall turd will sell at least that many. Baffling.

Tommy's logic;

- 3 billion people play mobile games but don't own a console
- The reason they don't own a console is because the games are too complicated and full of rape
- Despite the fact they can already play most of the games they want to for free, they will pay $250 for a console to play worse mobile games
- The fact there's hardly any games available is a big plus, too!
- Also people are used to simplicity, console controllers are too complicated, so here's a controller with a wheel that spins around and can be pressed in 16 directions, has a touchscreen, buttons on every side, and lights that flash that you have to keep looking down at.

Mar 31, 2018
As far as I know, he's standing by that their games - both physical and digital - are NFT's. Whatever that means...

Like you're buying a unique instance of the game somehow? It seems possible that maybe he's confusing NFC and NFT.

I could see this being an NFC unlocks a digital license for the game to your account somehow, but then you'd still need to download it, right? So there would have to be DRM involved here unless I'm missing something.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
- Also people are used to simplicity, console controllers are too complicated, so here's a controller with a wheel that spins around and has 16 directions, has a touchscreen and buttons on every side, and lights that flash that you have to keep looking down at.
It's like he took one look at the Wii U gamepad and didn't think a bulky controller with a screen in it wasn't cumbersome enough, as Wii U sales generally ended up already proving.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Oct 26, 2017
I could see this being an NFC unlocks a digital license for the game to your account somehow, but then you'd still need to download it, right? So there would have to be DRM involved here unless I'm missing something.

I don't know much about how NFC works. But would a system be possible where you could have an NFC chip put into the case, effectively making it both your DRM and physical copy? For example, you'd buy a game and place it on your console. The system would verify the chip and download a copy to the system. You can then play it whenever the box is on the console (or maybe was within, like, 24 hours.)

A bonus would be the ability to lend games to friends and sell them too, as the chip would replace the cartridge/disc.

I'm not saying the Amico will have anything close to this, by the way. It's purely hypothetical. I don't even know if this would be a great or a horrible idea, lol.

Last edited:

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
I don't know why that made me laugh so hard
NFC is nothing new having been around a long time with Android. I bought super cheap NFC stickers to trigger certain proximity based routines when my Google Nexus 5 phone was nearby. Apple iOS devices use their NFC to trigger the device as 2FA and Apple Pay. Nintendo Amiibo also use NFC.

The NFC chip is unique with its code to trigger a download but it's useless without the download servers infrastructure backend making your boxed copy a paperweight when the company goes tits up or if it never launches.

NFT is the fly by night trendy-for-now money-for-nothing collectible links (not even ownership of the digital thing) that Dummy Tallarico thinks his cheap secret code in a box digital downloads will basically metamorphosize into if he calls it that.

Not knowing what either of these technologies or abbreviations mean, he hopes that he can hitch his sinking rocket ship to their trendiness.

This is pretty much my opinion on NFTs: https://kotaku.com/crypto-art-belongs-in-the-trash-1846444119

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018
I don't know much about how NFC works. But would a system be possible where you could have an NFC chip put into the case, effectively making it both your DRM and physical copy? For example, you'd buy a game and place it on your console. The system would verify the chip and download a copy to the system. You can then play it whenever the box is on the console (or maybe was within, like, 24 hours.)

Someone on one of the Reddit threads had pointed out that an NFC code can't hold enough information to store a modern game….it's only 8kb apparently? Maybe someone here can verify this. If this is the case the NFC would just be used to add a license to your account I guess and maybe trigger a download from a server.

To me it doesn't seem much different than buying a box with a steam code in it and no actual physical copy.

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on one of the Reddit threads had pointed out that an NFC code can't hold enough information to store a modern game….it's only 8kb apparently? Maybe someone here can verify this. If this is the case the NFC would just be used to add a license to your account I guess and maybe trigger a download from a server.

To me it doesn't seem much different than buying a box with a steam code in it and no actual physical copy.

Oh, I don't mean have the NFC store the game itself. In my hypothetical, it would essentially serve as a portable license. The console would still need to download the game from the internet.

Unlike a Steam code, you could physically lend it to a friend, or sell it.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
yes Tommy your 3D renders are amazing. note the spine.
can they do anything right?

rUKyzaY.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018
Oh, I don't mean have the NFC store the game itself. In my hypothetical, it would essentially serve as a portable license. The console would still need to download the game from the internet.

Unlike a Steam code, you could physically lend it to a friend, or sell it.

Ah ok, well I'll guess we'll see how it works out. This whole situation has actually opened up some interesting conversation on different ways to handle DRM in the future. I don't think Tallarico is going to innovate in that department, but the idea of easy ways to lend, sell or transfer digital licenses is great. Hopefully someone nails it soon.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Ah ok, well I'll guess we'll see how it works out. This whole situation has actually opened up some interesting conversation on different ways to handle DRM in the future. I don't think Tallarico is going to innovate in that department, but the idea of easy ways to lend, sell or transfer digital licenses is great. Hopefully someone nails it soon.

Its not a digital license at that point. It's a physical license to a digital product.

One of the main benefits to going digital is not having to mess with physical products. Reintroducing a physical box with a product I have to store defeats the purpose.

Oct 28, 2017
Some (objective) reasons on why if this is legit, that it's still incapable of succeeding;

I haven't been following this; But holy fish and cow, that investors pitch video is soo unwatchable.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

A bonus would be the ability to lend games to friends and sell them too, as the chip would replace the cartridge/disc.

I'm not saying the Amico will have anything close to this, by the way. It's purely hypothetical. I don't even know if this would be a great or a horrible idea, lol.
This is all totally technically possible (and really, not that different to how some console disc games work nowadays - with discs for many online-focused games being physical DRM that allows you to play a game that's mostly or entirely downloaded data). That's probably how the Amico really will work when it comes to "physical" games. I'm not sure how many other options they have, based on the limited amount of information they've given us.

I don't see much practical value to the approach though. Like sure, you can lend a game to a friend that way, but the physical copy costs like twice as much as the downloadable version so for the same price you could just buy the game for your friend and not have to worry about juggling physical tokens. It might be handy for someone who has two Amico-owning friends, and people can assess for themselves how likely they are to ever be in that position. Resale value might be an interesting factor - some of these games genuinely might appreciate in value if the console fails hard and they become rare. That seems like kind of a dubious advantage though - it's kind of a bet that the system will fail hard enough that each physical item appreciates in value in a future collector's market by default.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
The only thing preventing rampant piracy of the games for this platform (if it ever launches) is obscurity or lack of demand. You may be right that Tommy's inability to build competent copy protection measures is likely going to be touted as a "feature."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing preventing rampant piracy of the games for this platform (if it ever launches) is obscurity or lack of demand. You may be right that Tommy's inability to build competent copy protection measures is likely going to be touted as a "feature."
Isn't running some form of Android?

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Yes most likely just Android as they don't have the technical skill to abstract it much beyond that. This is the part they are hiding like it's some secret sauce.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Every once in a while in this story someone points out that maybe some portion of these youtube fans or his crazy MLM type followers on reddit or whatever are maybe just "star struck" by this 90s gaming celebrity and are being grifted while they stare starry eyed about tommy and such and i'm over here thinking...

Who the fuck even cares about a 90s gaming celebrity? Like i don't even fux with game soundtracks that hard but even if i did some lousch from 96 who made some ok midis a few times is who you get Star Struck by? And then you get hyped by a little kid console that coulda come straight from the under 2 section of Toys R Us.

This has got to be some kind of weird tax write off or something. It's just the dumbest fuckin story i've read in such a long time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that youtube channels that barely get triple digit views per videos are the ones going the hardest on this thing really push the MLM vibe.