• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like enjoying the utter failure of something but it's confirmed DOA now, if it ever arrives at all, so what harm can a bit of schadenfreude do?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
jK3sCZm9-xyicIkRgRrK0xihyaN6iZcFjTen3RM3DDg.png

Tommy Talarico and posting ignorant bullshit. Name a more iconic duo, I'll wait.
Well, in a way he was right.
Switch won't sell anywhere close to Wii, it will sell much more.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who would've tought it would be delayed again, after the CFO saying that there was only 4-5 games in the final development phases.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Found this inspirational quote from Tommy in a recent interview:

[We] worked together a lot on the new design and I incorporated a lot of things that I learned from Shigeru Miyamoto over the years. I've known Miyamoto-san for over 30 years and worked with him for around three years on the Metroid Prime games. He's a good friend... Let's just say that whenever I'm around Miyamoto-san, I'm always asking a lot of game design questions. You may as well learn from the best!

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
You sure about this?

It looks like it works as a rotational control in this video:

(2:20, if time coding doesn't work).

It's not really important either way and it will only make a difference in a few games (and won't improve the Amico's chances in the slightest) but it does look like it's not just a d-pad.

The later discount variants definitely helped. I know that's why my first system was an Atari 2600. There's a significant portion of Atari nostalgia that only exists due to those cheap 2600s. I also think that another part of the long tail is that Atari had a wider presence internationally than its early competitors. Atari weren't ever super-successful in Europe but they were a relatively widely-known brand. Although the Intellivision was released in parts of Europe and presumably some people did buy one, I don't recall ever seeing one in a shop or in anyone's house, seeing any games for one, or hearing anyone mention it. I think it's probably the same for most European gamers (or at least those old enough to remember the retail lifetime of the Atari 2600).

At bit off topic, but from 2:40 to 2:55 isn't that Craig from the old Screw Attack crew?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What an utter lie. TT isn't in the credits of Metroid Prime. Someone/The Internet at Large needs to scrutinize his so-called list of achievements and work history.
It's true, he was only involved very early in Prime 1's development and wasn't credited.

metroid.fandom.com

Tommy Tallarico

Tommy Tallarico (born February 18, 1968) is the owner of Tommy Tallarico Studios, the executive producer and CEO of Video Games Live and a two time Guinness World Record holder. Tallarico has composed music for games such as Earthworm Jim. His company was hired as an outside contractor to create...

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Found this inspirational quote from Tommy in a recent interview:

Ha, yeah, this is like how Pixar's John Lasseter would always crow about Hayao Miyazaki being a "close, personal friend" at every goddamned opportunity just because Disney had signed on to distribute Ghibli's films for a while and despite there being no proof at all that Miyazaki could even pick Lasseter out of a crowd.

It's weird to see very minor industry celebs get all publicly parasocial with much larger figures in that industry.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
OK, the appearance from Craig is really throwing me for a loop. Not a cameo I was expecting.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Is Craig supposed to be a Good Dude or something?
No, not necessarily. I honestly don't know a thing about him other than he was at ScrewAttack, then Rooster Teeth before leaving. He could be a card-carrying MAGA chud for all I know. I'm just surprised because I wasn't expecting to see a recognizable face among those testimonials.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That kid in the video

"It definitely beats the Xbox a lot."

How much you want to bet they promised to buy him an Xbox to say that.
There's a reasonable bet every one of those testimonials was paid for.

"Here, come to our Amico demo and we'll give you money if you say nice things about it!"

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if a former Slam Ball player can enjoy the Amico, perhaps I'm all turned around on the subject.

He probably invested in it.

Dec 31, 2017
Virginia
If they could get Mattel to slap their name on it, it would at least be a Hyperscan, as in consumers won't be that interested but won't see it as a red flag, which many people I'm seeing currently are.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
lmfao I just found this clip of Tommy claiming that it would be "smart" of Nintendo, Sony and MS to not release their consoles in the same quarter as the Amico

not sure how the interviewer didn't die laughing lmao

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I wonder if there will come a time that those wishing to cancel pre-orders will face issues getting their $100 deposit back.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Agreed.
More than Playdate?

It's gotta be less than Playdate. Playdate has had a factory/parts/production lined up for forever now. The recent delay this year (that they advised has been resolved and shouldn't affect production right now) was due to covid precautions with staffing at the factory they're using in Malaysia.

It's still unclear where the Amicos are being made, or who's actually doing it.

I love the Playdate and Amico rivalry. Playdate is there staying in it's lane not bothering anybody and seeming to be doing well. And Amico is full notice me sempai mode

Me too. There's really something to be said for staying professional, not fostering a weird cult of personality around the one figure you've chained the product to, and having a product that actually appeals to people.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Me too. There's really something to be said for staying professional, not fostering a weird cult of personality around the one figure you've chained the product to, and having a product that actually appeals to people.

They also have finished their software. You would think Android running simple games would be...simple. But Intellivision bungles even the basics.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's gotta be less than Playdate. Playdate has had a factory/parts/production lined up for forever now. The recent delay this year (that they advised has been resolved and shouldn't affect production right now) was due to covid precautions with staffing at the factory they're using in Malaysia.

It helps that Panic is a real company with a proven track record, and has no ego driven has-been at the helm. You would think that last part would be obvious, but apparently not. Lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
hot take, anyone else think they were waiting for an infusion of cash from investors after the craylora thing and it never happened?

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Maybe they put effort into making a custom build of android with lower overhead 🤔

They've actively been trying to hide any showing of the system OS: interface and everything about the hardware PCBs etc. all enforced by NDA. Would love for this info to leak and see the light of day. Like the xbox architect not being paid by the Atari VCS people, when TT's money runs out…

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Wiki suggests Ark Electronics?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision_Amico

And the specs do not sound complicated. Are the delays due to software or basic resources / mfg.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Wiki suggests Ark Electronics?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision_Amico

And the specs do not sound complicated. Are the delays due to software or basic resources / mfg.

Hrm. I wonder if that's still the case with the lower run they're planning.

Internet scuttlebutt seems to indicate that Tommy thought it would be easier to source the parts himself rather than have the manufacturer do so, and that covid put a crimp in that plan as all the parts are now more expensive and it destroyed the profitability.

There's definitely something strange going on with the parts, but there's also weirdness going on with the software. It's almost a year past the original launch date and the bulk of the games still seem to be not ready to go, and they've been going out of their way to avoid showing the OS.

Last edited:

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
They've probably blown most of the cash enriching themselves paying themselves rent for the office building they own to play pretend vidyagame company during a pandemic instead of working remotely. Leaving hardly anything to pay devs to make games (claim of 85 games went to 50 to 20 and now 'in the teens') and build their online infrastructure, payment infrastructure and eShop.

Or secure their dev portal.

Or "accidentally" forget to update their website to remove executives no longer/never associated with Intellivision.

Last edited:

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I think this will end up being a situation like the Sinclair ZX Vega+...
...a massive failure to deliver on a successful Kickstarter campaign that was badly managed by greedy scumbags coming in and syphoning off the money. The similarities are uncanny... constant missed deadlines, brash and bullish statements by those in charge that were filled with exaggerations and downright lies, constant whining about rightful criticism and dismissing it all as "haters", a large list of games that gradually dwindled away to nothing as IP owners/devs backed out and retracted permissions etc. The biggest difference though was that the ZX Spectrum had a WAY larger appeal to a lot of gamers than the Intellivision did, a much larger potential reach. It was also set to cost only £130 upon release (about $180), so was WAY less of a rip off.

The Amico may not have greedy scumbags outright stealing money but they do have an absurd level of incompetence that's going to have the same overall effect. I think some backers will get some version of a console with shitty build quality and riddled with bugs, then TT will announce that Covid drained all their funds and they've had to close because of haters/Covid/lack of investors who were scared away by said haters etc. Whatever excuses he can trot out to deflect the blame from his unappealing product and shitty public image. They may make enough for all backers but I doubt it sees any kind of retail presence at all and dies within 6 months.