• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I believe that's the third Valve patent to involve eye tracking. So they either have something interesting cooked up or they're just playing the long game, which is what I'll assume so I don't get disappointed.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I believe that's the third Valve patent to involve eye tracking. So they either have something interesting cooked up or they're just playing the long game, which is what I'll assume so I don't get disappointed.
Having a HMD with eye tracking out of the box would be pretty stellar. It needs to be a standard in order for foveated rendering to become an actual thing

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus if Valve has their own eye tracking solution in this headset that'll blow me away
I was hoping by now more headsets would have eye tracking out of the box since it to me seems like a feature that would really help with a number of things. I think at the moment the highest end HMD with eyetracking is for professional use edit: and has quite the pricetag of just 6000 dollars and a 1000 dollar a year service fee. (Its not meant for the average joe consumer)

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly think things like the lenses patents (which look suspiciously like the logo) and things like the color/pulse modulation have made it.

But, yeah, I wouldn't anticipate anything beyond what we already suspect. Eye tracking would be an awesome surprise, but I'm operating under the assumption it's not going to be there.

My expectations are super low on a tech level and anything special will be the cherry on top. I am expecting super high quality optics, though. If impressions aren't glowing in this area, I'm going to be disappointed.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the timelines of everything involved, seems obvious that the press event is going to be sometime next week at the latest. Hopefully we get some cryptic tweets soon and start ending some of this madness.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20190114991.pdf

New Valve patent appeared online today. Not even going to pretend to understand WTF is going on in that one. Other than it can dynamically adjust illumination pulses (including individual color channels). Patent seems to rely heavily on eye tracking, though. So unless that's being hidden, not sure a lot of it's even relevant. Honestly not even going to attempt reading it, cause it's one of those patents.

EDIT: Read a little bit and it's interesting how it gets more aggressive when the head or eyes are moving rapidly. Which obviously makes sense. We already know that things like motion blur are most susceptible when moving your head.
Basically, the patent is for a variable strobe duration based on HMD motion.

Theoretically this could let you set a target of something like 1px of motion blur at all times, and the strobe duration would get shorter the faster the movement is, in order to sustain that.
So if you are sitting still there could essentially be no flicker at all from the display, but in motion it would flicker more and more aggressively the faster HMD movement is, to keep motion blur at a fixed amount.
The shorter the strobe duration is, the brighter the strobes will be, so that the output brightness is perceived to be the same.
It would essentially be a comfort feature, rather than having the HMD strobing the image aggressively at all times.

That's quite encouraging to read, as it's very similar to what I have suggested could make strobing (ULMB) work with variable refresh rate displays (G-Sync) but may actually end up in a commercial product.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Keep your expectations in check, don't overhype.

Oh, I'm so doing that. If the FOV is a good bit above 110 it's good enough, same ppi as the Vive Pro is good enough, 90Hz is good enough.
I do expect a lot from their controllers, though. I'm glad I waited, and didn't order a Pimax yet, now I'm gonna have a choice.

BTW, people are always talking about the resolution, but I think ppi is the way to talk about this stuff, as a wider FOV will decrease the ppi.
So a 135 degrees FOV with around 700 ppi would be great. Is my way of thinking wrong here?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm so doing that. If the FOV is a good bit above 110 it's good enough, same ppi as the Vive Pro is good enough, 90Hz is good enough.
I do expect a lot from their controllers, though. I'm glad I waited, and didn't order a Pimax yet, now I'm gonna have a choice.

BTW, people are always talking about the resolution, but I think ppi is the way to talk about this stuff, as a wider FOV will decrease the ppi.
So a 135 degrees FOV with around 700 ppi would be great. Is my way of thinking wrong here?
We use PPD around these parts

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Keep your expectations in check, don't overhype.
I have no doubt that Valve Index will have 2 8k screens, 200 degrees FOV, eye tracking, brain interfacing, AAAA games, and everything else one could imagine.

You're not wrong.

Isn't the viewing distance in high tier VR sets about the same though?
I think he is literally meaning that ppd (pixels per degree) is better used than ppi (pixels per inch), not that he's sharing his opinion on ppi vs FOV.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I wouldn't say I have high expectations...what I will say is that there are definitely reasons Valve is releasing a VR headset. If you piece together what Gaben has said matched with some of the rumors, it's clear that Valve wants to do a couple things:

1. Go a different direction than both Oculus and HTC. HTC has seemingly (or temporarily) pushed emphasis onto enterprise hardware, Oculus/Facebook are going for cheapness and mass adoption as well as a more closed ecosystem. While Oculus is still almost entirely game-based, they definitely see spatial tech as a social/telepresence tool first and foremost....I mean, it is Facebook after all. Valve is going to stick with what they do best: gaming. They also aren't trying to drive prices down yet as the tech has not fully matured, which means the headset will likely have innovative features/potential. And it's going to be modular/open.

2. Gaben has stated that he is envious of companies like Nintendo, because the software and hardware match up in a unique way which allows for that "Nintendo Magic". To me it's pretty clear that this is what they're going for with the Index. They're designing their 3 VR games for the Index and vice versa. This means that the Index will do things that other headsets can't (we already know this with the controllers, but the fact that they're releasing an HMD as well says something). And that likely means their games will do things that others can't as well.

So while I will restrain my hype and don't necessarily expect major innovative leaps, I still think a lot of people will be surprised. And I ain't talkin' resolution, in fact I don't think resolution is that big of a deal (unless they did have eye tracking/foveated rendering). We know it will probably at least match up with the Vive Pro with other little secret sauce screen and optics tricks to vastly increase clarity over current gen consumer VR. So yeah, I'm basically ready for the reveal, dudes.

After reading a bunch of speculation on Reddit, I also think it's a possibility that the price may not be as high as some people here assume. I was thinking 700-800 for the whole shebang before, now I'm thinking 500-700, leaning a little more on the 600-700 side of that. I personally think 600 is the magic number unless they really want to add some crazy shit in there. In that case, I'll cough up anything under a grand.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
2. Gaben has stated that he is envious of companies like Nintendo, because the software and hardware match up in a unique way which allows for that "Nintendo Magic". To me it's pretty clear that this is what they're going for with the Index. They're designing their 3 VR games for the Index and vice versa. This means that the Index will do things that other headsets can't (we already know this with the controllers, but the fact that they're releasing an HMD as well says something). And that likely means their games will do things that others can't as well.
This is what excites me the most. I know I just joked about HL and Portal, but the idea of one of those developed alongside hardware is really cool.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
This is what excites me the most. I know I just joked about HL and Portal, but the idea of one of those developed alongside hardware is really cool.

Well it's pretty much a given that they're developing a Half-Life VR game, so I don't think it's outlandish to expect a Portal, L4D, CS or TF VR game as 1 or even both of the others. The question is how "full" the games are and whether they're just "inspired by and in the same universe as" or if they're actually similar in mechanics and such (well clearly the gameplay mechanics will be different, but you know what I mean). We know the games won't be demos along the lines of The Lab...so yeah, there's definitely something to be excited about here. The next question is whether they'll release them alongside the headset. My answer is that they'll probably at least release one of them right away.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the viewing distance in high tier VR sets about the same though?
Pixels per inch refers to the display.
Pixels per degree refers to the display and lens setup.

You could have two HMDs with the same display but different lens setups, and the one with the higher FOV would have a lower PPD with more noticeable pixels.
Or you could even have an HMD with a higher PPI display than another, which still has a lower PPD if the FOV is significantly higher.

With VR displays in particular, the metric should really be subpixels per degree rather than pixels though, since the pixel structure of the panels makes a big difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe some news? A bunch of VR journalist have been to a very secretive event they can't talk about, and one person claimed it was Index-related. The thing that gives me pause is that it was in San Francisco, and I can't remember Valve holding a big event outside Seattle/Bellevue.

What do you think? It would certainly line up the Index press demo listing, but San Fran makes me think Oculus, not Valve.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly suspect Valve is holding an event this week, but I'm very skeptical it would be in San Francisco. Seems much more likely that it's a final launch event for the Quest.

Obviously I could be wrong. Especially since it seems imperative Valve have a press event before orders go live. I just don't see why they'd complicate the process by holding it in San Francisco.

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly suspect Valve is holding an event this week, but I'm very skeptical it would be in San Francisco. Seems much more likely that it's a final launch event for the Quest.

Obviously I could be wrong. Especially since it seems imperative Valve have a press event before orders go live. I just don't see why they'd complicate the process by holding it in San Francisco.
The only thing that gives me reverse pause is I imagine there are a lot more gaming and tech journalists in San Francisco than Seattle and maybe Valve would hold an event there rather than expect people to fly to them.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that gives me reverse pause is I imagine there are a lot more gaming and tech journalists in San Francisco than Seattle and maybe Valve would hold an event there rather than expect people to fly to them.
It's also harder to leak. Having dozens of VR journalists going on Twitter saying "just arrived at Seattle!" would be a pretty strong confirmation.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe. Nothing about Valve will ever surprise me. Maybe it's also symbolic about holding the event right in Facebook's backyard. I wouldn't bet any of my money on this, but it certainly a real possibility.

EDIT: Either way, whether it's San Francisco now, or Seattle later in the week, it's gotta be happening this week.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's mean, but I laughed.
He's legit going to have a meltdown if there's a press event and he's not invited.
images

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
Poor Tyler.
I don't think Valve is going to invite him back any time soon with all the recent clickbait videos that he's releasing with his rants & the shade he throws at them on his Twitch livestreams.

Although I wish Valve gives him a free Valve index for all of his work (if he still checks his inbox, that is).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Valve added an old (and not VR) HL2 mod to the Index press demo. I legitimately have no idea what this means.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bgxbbg/firearmssource_now_part_of_index_press_release/

An all time peak of 2 players (10 months ago). Gonna be riots in the streets when people find out this is VR exclusive.

EDIT: Seems like someone on Reddit has answered this great mystery: Firearms: Source has always contained a number of the same depots/branches as SteamVR. It's just people are now picking at things looking for anything.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
The shorter the strobe duration is, the brighter the strobes will be, so that the output brightness is perceived to be the same.
It would essentially be a comfort feature, rather than having the HMD strobing the image aggressively at all times.

Is the idea that this would lead to decreased eye strain? That's not an issue I have with my Vive, and the strobing is 100% invisible.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time in a long while, I'm totally confused. Valve wouldn't bother with an old mod ported to VR.

Top comment on that reddit thread sounds like a pretty plausible explanation:

Sorry to disappoint, but this is nothing.

Firearms: Source, for whatever reason, contains a number of the same depots/branches as SteamVR, and this has always been the case.

You're literally just seeing the same updates that were applied to SteamVR (i.e. updates to the various SteamVR banches, including the index_press branch).

Status
Not open for further replies.