• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Being unable to touch files on a platform where games have a high chance of not working properly without user intervention is pretty anti-consumer.
Come on now man, like every mainstream PC developer is shipping broken garbage in 2020.

As I posted this I just remember DSfix and the one for Nier:A (special K?) alright fair

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue of cheating is far less widespread than people here claim it is - and a significant portion would be eliminated if games were to filter by region/ping.

Cheating is rampant in competitive FPS. If you're above gold rank in Rainbow Six, every match is a dice roll as to whether one or more cheaters will be in your game.

And I assume you're implying most cheaters are based in China by saying region/ping filters will fix it? R6 already separated China into their own client that can't swap regions. The problem still remains.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, my gaming PC is just a glorified console. I have separate machines for real work that I would never install games on. I would gladly install kernel or even hardware level anti-cheat measures on my gaming PC. The fact that Riot is doing this is kinda dumb; the TruePlay thing that was mentioned sounds like a great idea though.
That's why I suggested a temporary trade-off in the other thread, require Vanguard for Ranked but revert to more traditional anti-cheat for Unranked and allow Vanguard to be uninstalled for that.
not a bad idea actually, but I can see why riot wouldn't go for it.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely installed with the OS. I just checked my work machine which assuredly has never had a controller connected.

Whether it is used without plugging in a controller is another thing but that's really no different than Riot's driver not doing anything unless you're playing the game.

There are plenty of kernel drivers that are for things more abstract than physical devices too. Even then, in this example, why does the Xbox Controller need to be loaded that early? Or as an analog to people saying "use some other method", why didn't they just use DirectInput?

Well I don't have. (And even files aren't there). Using Steam Controller exclusively.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any program you give admin rights to which is usually every game that you install can do pretty much anything to your computer and any program you don't can still upload your My Documents folder to the internet.

If you don't trust the company then don't install the game.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Any program you give admin rights to which is usually every game that you install can do pretty much anything to your computer and any program you don't can still upload your My Documents folder to the internet.

In 2020, most games don't need admin rights.

(not that you need admin rights to access my documents)

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2020, most games don't need admin rights.

(not that you need admin rights to access my documents)

Which is why the whole argument about "riot is going to use this kernel driver to scan my computer and steal my data" falls flat. They can already do that if they wanted to, and much easier.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why the whole argument about "riot is going to use this kernel driver to scan my computer and steal my data" falls flat. They can already do that if they wanted to, and much easier.

It's only Riot who spoke anything about scanning & stealing files anyways, actual concerns of those who posted about it are totally unrelated.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Best way is to run it via Linux on virtualized Windows or proton or have a separate Windows partition just for games without any personal data. I am not certain if those anti-cheats even allow to run in a virtualized environment

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who worked in the industry, every half decent anti-cheat trying to PREVENT cheats uses a kernel mode driver. Without it, it simply is impossible to prevent cheats, all you can do is to detect and ban. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Honestly speaking, Windows' security model is so broken, and closed source software so prevalent, that this shouldn't concern anyone who choose to use it for important tasks.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Best way is to run it via Linux on virtualized Windows or proton or have a separate Windows partition just for games without any personal data. I am not certain if those anti-cheats even allow to run in a virtualized environment
That doesn't work. BattlEye, EAC and now this block any kind of virtualized environment which includes Wine and by that Proton. Valve is apparently trying to work with the providers of these ACs to work something out for Wine. Thing is there apparently are builds of these AC measures that actually work in virtualized environments because they don't try to sniff around at kernel level.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't work. BattlEye, EAC and now this block any kind of virtualized environment which includes Wine and by that Proton. Valve is apparently trying to work with the providers of these ACs to work something out for Wine. Thing is there apparently are builds of these AC measures that actually work in virtualized environments because they don't try to sniff around at kernel level.

Valve was working with EAC before it was bought by Epic.
No news on that front

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, what are the other games with this sort of system in place?
With this level of invasiveness? Nothing. With regards to what the AC is doing? Doesn't seem to be more advanced than VAC.

Valve was working with EAC before it was bought by Epic.
No news on that front
They are apparently still working on it (judging by some of the commits for Proton). Not only EAC but BattlEye as well I believe.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not against anti-cheat system like this, as i understand where are they coming from, but it should be Ranked mode exclusive.
People who just want to play game casually shouldnt be forced to use system like this.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What could go wrong when you give a company like Tencent full access to your Kernel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017

Very much this, you don't even need admin permissions to steal a user's files. Either you trust the company or you don't.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Very much this, you don't even need admin permissions to steal a user's files. Either you trust the company or you don't.

What if someone else uses it to steal files though? And website (or buys advertisement on some gaming website you trust) abuses that and one of speculative execution exploits prevalent in all modern CPUs (or random browser exploit)?

That's really dumb. I thought their fog of war system was supposed to prevent some of that? Like, with their PVS system you would still expect to wallhack around corners, but that video has what appear to be cross-map wallhacks.

Maybe they didn't get it working quite right? Bad PVS calculation would cause more problems than cheaters.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
3ff3f9isizs41.jpg

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This entire message from Riot kind of assumes that their best strategy to defeat cheaters is to continue a host-level game of cat and mouse, because there are no alternatives. This is not completely true.

They could use server-level analysis using Machine Learning and AI in general to analyze petabytes of data that can be collected on user behavior, and catch 99.9% of cheaters out there with fancy models and statistical analysis, with an increasing number of 9s after the decimal point as time goes on. They can also have meta-moderation by humans to catch legitimate false positives, as is done now.

Hackers can't easily compete with algorithms and datasets they have no eyes on, as opposed as any code running on a host's RAM. And this approach, while costly as it requires Storage and compute (CPU + GPU) resources would leave your computer alone, protected, unmarred by the potential of increased attack surface (or attack "depth" in case of privilege escalation exploits) of a kernel-level driver.

As far as the resource cost for RioT goes, I would suggest they figure out a way of outsourcing it to players (mini spark/cuda instances?) as they just so happen to have the necessary CPU + GPU resources, through a fortunate turn of event (AI loves GPUs!) and the data that requires analyzing requires no security as it's just non-sensitive game data. Think of it as something akin to bitcoin miners except you're "mining" cheater bans :D. It might cost you a few bucks every year on your electric bill, but least it doesn't require system-level drivers.

In my opinion, that's the way to go.

Nov 14, 2017
This entire message from Riot kind of assumes that their best strategy to defeat cheaters is to continue a host-level game of cat and mouse, because there are no alternatives. This is not completely true.

They could use server-level analysis using Machine Learning and AI in general to analyze petabytes of data that can be collected on user behavior, and catch 99.9% of cheaters out there with fancy models and statistical analysis, with an increasing number of 9s after the decimal point as time goes on. They can also have meta-moderation by humans to catch legitimate false positives, as is done now.

Hackers can't easily compete with algorithms and datasets they have no eyes on, as opposed as any code running on a host's RAM. And this approach, while costly as it requires Storage and compute (CPU + GPU) resources would leave your computer alone, protected, unmarred by the potential of increased attack surface (or attack "depth" in case of privilege escalation exploits) of a kernel-level driver.

As far as the resource cost for RioT goes, I would suggest they figure out a way of outsourcing it to players (mini spark/cuda instances?) as they just so happen to have the necessary CPU + GPU resources, through a fortunate turn of event (AI loves GPUs!) and the data that requires analyzing requires no security as it's just non-sensitive game data. Think of it as something akin to bitcoin miners except you're "mining" cheater bans :D. It might cost you a few bucks every year on your electric bill, but least it doesn't require system-level drivers.

In my opinion, that's the way to go.
That's actually trivial to beat. You can use the same techniques to train aimbots so that it only performs as good as say the top 2% of players. In fact over time you would end up with a skewed dataset with so many mediocre players being boosted through ML aimbots. You still need client side detection. You don't get hackers on current gen consoles - really, some kind of hardware solution is the only way to solve this problem.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, definitely going to pass on this game....

No way hackers aren't going to get extremely excited over this.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
We already knew that BattlEye was doing this sort of thing, because Microsoft had to block systems from updating to the 1903 version of Windows 10 because its low-level driver was incompatible and causing Windows to crash.
That in itself should tell you all you need to know about this kind of anti-cheat software. It's the wrong approach.
Implementing ping and region filtering solves the majority of the problem in most games.

There is (was?) Game Monitor/TruePlay. I don't know if it was removed or the option to disable it was removed, but I don't see it in 1909.

trueplay_59qjnp.png

An OS-level feature is probably the best option; however it concerns me that we'll see single player games use a feature like that.
Even if you aren't cheating, modified executables or software like Cheat Engine are essential tools for working around problems in many games.
That feature works collecting data and sending to developers, so if people have trouble with that they are not going to activate it.

And if people don't willingly activate I doubt any dev will force this.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well the sandboxing thing was their idea with doing games as UWP
The sandboxing on uwp was never meant to prevent this sort of cheating, as it does not block higher level applications to reaching in.

It's more about restrictions for applications to reaching out, so if this was an uwp game it would only be able to run system level processes if you allowed explicitly.

The true play feature works just by monitoring the processes. It won't prevent the cheating tohappen but it will warn the developer that when you were running the game some process inject stuff into its memory space for example.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That's exactly what Microsoft wanted to do with UWP for games and everyone told them to fuck off.

It's either More elaborate or heavy-handed Anti-Cheats, or we go to something that is quite literally anti-consumer (UWP Prohibits any edits of the files AT ALL)
That was never true. The encryption is a ms store feature, not part of uwp. And now applicable even for unmodified win32 games.

(though now there are apis that allows developers to expose any file they want for modification, just dunno if anyone is actually using it, as I assume devs are making the bare minimum to steer from their steam packages)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
That's actually trivial to beat. You can use the same techniques to train aimbots so that it only performs as good as say the top 2% of players. In fact over time you would end up with a skewed dataset with so many mediocre players being boosted through ML aimbots. You still need client side detection. You don't get hackers on current gen consoles - really, some kind of hardware solution is the only way to solve this problem.

The model would only be trivial to beat if it only took into account your kill/death stats, or other basic things.

The model I am proposing would be much more complex. It would be trained (and regularly retrained) on real-life cheating datasets, with dozens or hundreds of variables being used to score the player as X% chance they are cheating. If X > 99.X % , the player is banned.

But wait, you say, where are all these resources going to come from to analyze the behavior and actions of 100k simultaneous plays?

Well, the algorithm will prioritize things like newer accounts, it will prioritize players showing abnormal skill discrepancies between movement and shooting accuracy, etc. In the end,they might end up with a few thousand high-risk players that will get virtually "stopped and frisked, except without the "stoppee" noticing it". I've also proposed a scheme to keep outsourcing cheat detection computing costs on the users.

The whole thing reminds me of those machine learning algorithms that could detect cancer. Cheaters are the cancer of MP games.

Of course, it's easier to do things the way Riot is doing.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Out of curiosity and not speaking about a game in particular. Wouldn't be better make an anti-cheat system at a hardware level? I mean, having a chip that controls that? Something like what happens with Netflix on Android.

I suppose it will hacked anyways, but it will be harder?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
The model would only be trivial to beat if it only took into account your kill/death stats, or other basic things.

The model I am proposing would be much more complex. It would be trained (and regularly retrained) on real-life cheating datasets, with dozens or hundreds of variables being used to score the player as X% chance they are cheating. If X > 99.X % , the player is banned.

But wait, you say, where are all these resources going to come from to analyze the behavior and actions of 100k simultaneous plays?

Well, the algorithm will prioritize things like newer accounts, it will prioritize players showing abnormal skill discrepancies between movement and shooting accuracy, etc. In the end,they might end up with a few thousand high-risk players that will get virtually "stopped and frisked, except without the "stoppee" noticing it". I've also proposed a scheme to keep outsourcing cheat detection computing costs on the users.

The whole thing reminds me of those machine learning algorithms that could detect cancer. Cheaters are the cancer of MP games.

Of course, it's easier to do things the way Riot is doing.
In that context it would still be virtually impossible to distinguish between a new player hacking or an experienced player smurfing. There's also a massive discrepancy between movement and shooting accuracy in normal play too. Lots of players can hit headshots but have garbage game sense. Statistical analysis is a fundamentally flawed approach for detecting cheaters.

Out of curiosity and not speaking about a gme in particular. Wouldn't be better make an anti-cheat system at a hardware level? I mean, having a chip that controls that? Something like what happens with Netflix on Android.

I suppose it will hacked anyways, but it will be harder?
A hardware enclave like some sort of TPM is the real solution.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You would have to be an absolute fool to knowingly install this game on your computer.
Now being a fool myself I was just thinking I could do with a new Chinese rootkit on my system, the old one was getting a little musty.

Nov 14, 2017
Another new subreddit thread that got big today regarding this

old.reddit.com

Why Valorants Vanguard Anti-Cheat has to be changed ASAP

I am posting this in here, as my attempt to post it in the r/Valorant Subreddit failed by it getting removed immediately. I don't mind an...
For a guy who is an IT manager, he seems a little misinformed.

First, the idea that a ring0 app can bypass the security policy on your phone is completely insane. Like, sure, if there's a vulnerability on your phone it could exploit it. I'm not sure you need ring0 on a PC for that though, but I'm not sure what the expected threat model is there where that's a concern.

And sure, more kernel mode software means a bigger attack surface, but that's overblown too. GPUs were a massive gaping hole for ages due to lack of stuff like an IOMMU (basically, anything with graphics card access could write back to anywhere in system memory), and we never had armageddon because of it. Newer hardware has fixed that up, but those massive modern GPU drivers still have vulnerabilities. His argument isn't new either - it's the same argument that it's not 'necessary' for anti-cheat to run at that level.

The rest of his complaints seem to stem from the anti-cheat being buggy and giving false positives, which is whatever. It's a beta. If the full release is like that, people will get mad and stop playing.

Also, the fact he doesn't know how to wireshark stuff coming out of his own machine is hilarious.